Where to Promote???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
THA_206 said:
Master P had the solution to promoting Gangsta rap in the projects.

An icecream truck with 3 wheels sittin on d's

"its the icecream bitch dont ya hear the music"

actually that quote is from the Luniz' album "Operation Stackola" :)

I can promote the hell out of it at my college next year.....

Apr 25, 2002
Naked Man said:
@ Notes,,
I would advise a "street team". Recruit several teens,, preferrably cute girls,,and send them to every function thruout the town. Most guys won't turn down conversation with an attractive young lady who's promoting something. Even if they don't purchase,,,they WILL remember who you are.
Thats a damn good idea

May 2, 2002
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Damn, thanks for the suggestions ya'll. Everything will be taken into consideration. If anyone has some time on their hands and would be interested in helping out, hit me up. Also, anyone willing to help out once the cd drops (Aug/Sept) hit me up with that too. I got a hustle that can make us all some money. 1 luv

Jun 4, 2002
you should promote at the waterland festival in desmoines or that little
fair thingy up in white center!!! large crowds of potential listners with
money in there pockets to spend!! just a suggestion~~~

Jun 4, 2002
Naked Man said:
[B

@ Notes,,
I would advise a "street team". Recruit several teens,, preferrably cute girls,,and send them to every function thruout the town. Most guys won't turn down conversation with an attractive young lady who's promoting something. Even if they don't purchase,,,they WILL remember who you are.

Just my 2 pennies. [/B]
do that at the waterland guranteed $$$$$$$$ sales!!!
guys are tricks they'll buy it just so they don't look broke!! lol!!

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Idea #4 (i promise, this one DOESNT suck!!)

Use an internet relay chat client, point the server at efnet, cruise on into #cali-rap (or #ragemp3 even), and ask an op or a voice if their interested in an exclusive rip...

^----if that doesnt make sense to you....WHERE YOU BEEN AT?!?!

for those of you who dont know, IRC is the cyber-equivalent of the streets...mp3.com is like a shitty record store compared to IRC!!

You hear about the new Nelly gettin ripped? 9 times out of 10, an IRC user did it....You hear about the new Styles album gettin leaked onto the net? 95% chance it started on IRC and THEN made its way to WinMX, and all those other programs...

IRC and FTP...if you dont know these acronyms, then you aint even using the 'net! (Where are you? What are you even doing??!?!)....

Back to the subject....there's MULTIPLE IRC groups who compete with each other to bring you the freshest new albums, vinyl singles, promo cds, cd samplers, etc..and most promo materials are welcomed with open arms.....most of these channels even average around 200-300 people at any one time, so if you CAN get someone to 'rip' (distribute) your album/single/promo, then VERY MANY ears will hear it...

#cali-rap, for example, doesnt rip ONLY cali rap, but thats their specialty...well...the NorthWest is quite similar to the music they 'rip' on a DAILY basis...so their attitude, most likely, will be 'sure..why not?' if you offer them an EXCLUSIVE cd.....(vs a channel like #whoa, for example, which specializes in East Coast music, or #rns, which specializes in Mainstream/'Pop' releases)

Summary: Get IRC, go to #cali-rap on EFnet, and tell em you got some EXCLUSIVE west coast slumps that they should rip (make ABSOLUTE sure that there's no skips on the songs...mp3 fiends HATE that shit!!)........if this is too complicated for you, holla @ ya boy for instructions! Aight?....Hope this helped more than my other ideas!

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Idea #5...MIXTAPES!! (come on now..you knew it was coming!)

ima try to do this without paragraphs...*deep breath*...here goez!)

Imagine it....new tape EVERY month....its august '02...DJ Dirty Shoez Presents "Midsummer Nights Fiendz Vol 1"....16 album cuts..5 freestyles...21 of the latest cuts from 12 different NW labels...price tag of $0....distributed EVERYWHERE...

Blank CD's--50/$20...Tapes--about 10/$5...i'd be handin em out like gideon bibles! :) and For the fan/consumer......Its free, its NorthWest, its fresh...what else could you ask for??

Now....theoretically, i could take my ass to mp3.com, and download every new NW track in sight...throw on them SLR snippets D-Sane been postin up...include a couple of my tracks.....and poof...a mixtape...

...but it just aint the same as lookin in the mail, and seein a package with promo materials, and DAT tapes wit freestyles/remixes/unmastered tracks/etc!

Oh yeah.....combine ideas #4 and #5, and you have a NorthWest Mixtape that'll get distributed on a WIDE-SCALE, NATIONWIDE BASIS, and open up the WHOLE NATION's eyes to our area, artists, talent, and potential...

ill leave it at that....

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
I aint no promotion/marketing major, but i *DO* know a couple ways to get the bulk effect from promotion....you gotta go to the root...

IRC = root of 99% of mp3's on the internet...not napster, not winmx, not your pal ILL-JaSoN_345 on AOL...i'd guess another 90% (yes, 90%!) of burned cd's people buy are from albums they downloaded from the internet...now, read the first line of this paragraph...!!! IRC is the home of the burned cd...!!

Make 4 tracks into 4 mp3s, label it "Promo Sampler", and take it to an IRC channel......bet me it doesnt get downloaded and distributed by 100+ people!!

Now, Mixtapes are the soundtrack for the streets (i forget where i stole that from, but it sound tight, dont it? :) )........10 labels hook up 2 tracks each, a mixtape is born..COOL.....one label spends 200$, makes 500 copies, and hands em out at their next show..COOL.....MC Nyne Milly has a track on the mixtape, so he burns up a 20$ 50-pack of CD-R's, and hands em out at school..COOL!!

Street radio right there...none of that hip-pop shit, nothin but Underground cutz!! Only thing that's ass about it is you need cooperation....you dont NEVER hear about DJ's buying tracks to put on mixtapes, cuz simply, YOU AINT "SUPPOSED TO" MAKE MONEY FROM MIXTAPES!!

6 more paragraphs, my bad, heheheh...i just cant stand these FAKE mixtapes that been comin out...Half Jay-Z/Nas/Cam'ron tracks, and the other half local music....im like, WHAT?...sellin a **MIXTAPE88 for 10-15$...im like, WHAT!!.....

if someone starts puttin out QUALITY mixtapes, ill pay to distro some of the shit MYSELF!! pssl.com got the bulk casette tapes, wal-mart got the cd-r's..altogether, the units is like <50 cents each to make..CHEAP!..it costs the labels $0 to get their songs on the mixtape..CHEAP!..

Everybody talks about wantin to get the NW where it belongs...get NW artists noticed....well....are y'all just TALKIN SHIT, or are you DOWN TO PUT THIS AREA ON THE MAP???

As much as i'd love to run out to the stores TOMORROW, buy A TT Kit, tape duplicators, and stacks of recordable cds/tapes....i aint got the 1-2 Grand it would take to get started....Yes, 1-2 grand!!!

If y'all TRULY wanna help get this region where it needs to be...start askin these labels to start workin together on mixtapes!

Clue, flex, Kool Kid, Whoo Kid, Cutmaster c, Ron G, Envy, famous da kid, kay slay....i can name you DOZENS of east coast mixtape DJ's.....i cant name you *ONE* true west coast mixtape DJ!!

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
Oh let me guess, you make it up cuz your that talented? your flows are 24hrs a day and your a journalist? something dosent make sense... mabe your a free type artist.. you type so fast you dont think. you dont freestyle you free type.. Cut the crap!

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Stop takin shots with your "drink away my sorrows' bullshit, and listen up.

For being 18, ive probably read more than 99% of other people about the music business....remember me, the 5 page response guy? Well...yeah...ive read **TEN+ PAGE** articles on Hiring a manager, A&R, production deals, royalties, "points", manufacturing, signing contracts, finding a producer, securing distribution....

....so what the fuck can you tell ME about a 15 year old mind? YOU CANT EVEN SPELL GARAGE...LOLOL@ 'GRADGE'!!!

Im 18, and about to start working on a BSBA with a Major in accounting and a minor in Marketing........so, what now? Ive got 3+ (yes, 3+!) albums worth of material, and 4 years to write ANOTHER 3-5 albums (trust me...it'll happen!) before i even THINK of signing on a dotted line...

2006, ill have 6+ albums ready to record...a job payin me $15+ an hour (*STARTING* wages)...my own house, a couple rides, jewelry....ALL *BEFoRE* I SELL RECORDS...

....while you sit around with your dreams of turning "Skrilla Studios" into a nationwide phenomenon!!! lol!!!! you make me type like Sam savage and shit with your silly ass posts!!! lmao!!!

How old are you, anyways? I mean...damn...."descuise"(disguise) "gradge"(garage) "carrier"(career)...and you tryin to talk about MY age? HAHAHAHAHAHA :eek:

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Your birthday is today, rofl....my bad, i aint mean to diss you on your birthday...hopefully, you dont read this til tomorrow :(

I aint even realize it was your birthday....ill buy you a vocabulary book, aight? lol

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Notes,regardless if the album drops in Aug. or Sept.,you should go to the PUYALLUP FAIR @ the beginning of September.Probably make a few trips out there,pop a couple balloons and win a Moteley Cru mirror!Oh Boy......

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Put it like this.....i have every single trait a successful artist needs, in 2 months, ill begin work on my MBA, master's in business administration.

Dont tell me what i dont know....tell me what i said that isnt right. Break it down for me, analyze the shit, then tell me what i said that was incorrect, misleading, etc.

Im feelin like a Kevin Garnett type individual...ive already got enough MORE THAN ENOUGH skills to make the jump......but ima wait.......