What Will It Take For The Bay To Be Back?? (Article)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
San Bruno, Ca
www.myspace.com
YES it never seems to fail...same topic around the same time! Who changing the GAME? This is how its going down! This is what im doing! etc......

Just get out there and do it, stop running mouths and get it done! if not let the giant sleep until someone does it...........continue on......LMFAO

Apr 25, 2002
Take pro tools away from all the wanna be rappers. That will fix the problem and unsaturate the game.

so whats a wanna be rapper? a wanna be "good" rapper? most rappers are horrible, period...these tools givin will only lace the dont knows, thus more flooding for the market.......every rapper with or with out an album or track record thinks they're good, its relative......

Apr 25, 2002
IF YOU ARE NOT DOPE AT MAKING MUSIC GET THE FUCK OUT THE WAY.

Stop letting your friends gas you up. Just cause you can rhyme a little bit does not make you an artist or a Star. it makes you a human who can navigate the english language similar to a 3rd grader. More than likely you still fucking suck.
Mac Dre along time ago said somethin, basically, saying if your boys garbage, dont tell him he's dope.....dont put him on if he cant rap.........

but then in Mac Dres later years when he was really comin up, he was puttin all kinds of cats on that was garbage.......but they was his boys........

so your first comment, tho i agree, errrrrybody thinks they make dope music........

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
Everybody is an expert thats the problem. There is no magic formula that works for everybody. Some peoples fans don't fuck with blogs while others only get their music from them. Make music that YOUR fans want to hear and then get it to them the way THEY want to receive it, not how some other artist does it. Lil B has a formula that works for him as does J Stalin as does Nickatina and all three are doing it in different ways. LISTEN TO YOUR FANS NOT OTHER RAPPERS OR SO CALLED EXPERTS!!!!
It's true that there is no magic formula that works for everyone. I also agree that artists should get music to fans the way they want to receive it. But why should they limit themselves? They can do what they've been doing to please their existing fans and also use blogs to gain new fans. It's not one or the other... you can do both.

As far as your last statement, I would suggest they listen to everyone and only use what works for them because everyone, including fans, will say some stupid shit at times and useful shit at other times. Everybody talking like an expert isn't a problem if it gets your mind thinking on what you can do to improve your situation. You just gotta figure out what info to use and what info is BS.

Thanks for your feedback... I included it in the original post on my site.

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
The bottom line is if you do not have money to spend, the music industry isnt for you.
A lot of these artists seem to be hoping that a label will pick them up and invest money in them.

It boils down to dope music. Dope music and being a dope artist is like having the janitors key ring to the game. Your music will open doors. Good news travels fast people. When you are dope you can win. People pay attention to dope shit. Fresh shit.
I agree 100%

The REAL fans are having a tough time sifting through the garbage music and do not know where to get the good shit. There is so much off brand wack shit floating around its no wonder everyone downloads for free. As much as its illegal and stealing, its also the artists fault for supplying so much trash to the people that they feel like they should get to hear it first.....
It's easy to blame fans, but you're right, fans are reacting to the large amount of weak music that is out there.

I will say this as far as i'm concerned.... I FEEL SORRY for any of these late 80's and early 90;s babies trying to JUMP in the rap game..... if you dont have 10 year history in the business by now, you were born too late.....
I don't know about that... there are still opportunities out there, it's just 10 times harder.

The machines and corporations make the system go now.... its no longer fan driven. A mediocre song given the "PUSH" from the right machine can generate enough money to feed a generation of a family..... While good underground music gets swept aside because we dont have access to the machine in question.....
How can we get rid of the machine? Can we do anything to reprogram it to push better music?

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I added your post to the original post on my site.

Sep 3, 2004
www.myspace.com
the first time it took quality mob shit and celly cel, b-legit, c-bo, mac mall, spice-1 were all at the top of there game and so was the producers . 2nd time it took a gimik which is the only thing that can get u to the top mainstream . People useta complain that E-40 never got reconized by mainstream and when he did them same people said he sold out , stole dre's style , was a gimik ect....... the bay has to many haters and every person in the bay think they can rap EXAMPLE EVERY RAPPER ON LIVEWIRE. 40 will always sell and make classic cds , but the only other dude wit a chance is YA BOY cause he is signed to AKON.
SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE HATER

Sep 3, 2004
www.myspace.com
It's true that there is no magic formula that works for everyone. I also agree that artists should get music to fans the way they want to receive it. But why should they limit themselves? They can do what they've been doing to please their existing fans and also use blogs to gain new fans. It's not one or the other... you can do both.

As far as your last statement, I would suggest they listen to everyone and only use what works for them because everyone, including fans, will say some stupid shit at times and useful shit at other times. Everybody talking like an expert isn't a problem if it gets your mind thinking on what you can do to improve your situation. You just gotta figure out what info to use and what info is BS.

Thanks for your feedback... I included it in the original post on my site.
The reason I say that is cuz independent artist need to maximize their time and money and you cant't do everything. By releasing hundreds of freestyle songs for free and doing "Rare" but sold out shows has worked for Lil B. While releasing retail CD's and no free mixtapes while touring non-stop has worked for J Stalin. The conversation is good and I was not talking about yall with the "expert comment" it was about the "fan" turned" expert". Either you like the music or you don't but too many "fans" feel that with no experience they know the business. If you have not made and lost money in the music industry in the last 30 days it's hard for me to take time out of my busy day to consider your marketing plan for my projects.

Dec 28, 2009
looks like everybody has their own idea of what it takes to bring the bay back but there is one thing that we can all agree on is that it is going to take time.

START MAKIN QUALITY MUZIC, STOP JUMPIN ON SOMEBODY ELSES SHIP FOR A FREE RIDE. WHEN HYPHY THING CRACCED IT WAS A 100 SONGS THAT WERE THE SAME, 100 DIFFERENT SPIN OFF OF THE SAME DAMN SONG. 90% OF THE RAPPERS IN THE BAY ARE LOOKIN FOR A QUICK DOLLA. IF U GONNA BE IN A RAP CLICK, MAKE SURE EVERYBODY CAN RAP CUZ IF 1 KNOT IS WEAK ON A CHAIN THE CHAIN WILL BREAK. GET PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME VISION AS YOU & ARE WILLIN TO PUT IN THE WORK. ITS TOO MANY PART TIME RAPPERS & HALF ASS MCs IN THE BAY AND ITS SICKNING. BE COMPETEIVE & NOT COMPENSATIVE(MEANING DONT ACT LIKE ANYBODY OWE U SHIT, GO FOR UR'S BUT COME CORRECT)

May 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
Why is everybody acting like making good music is the answer? Like we don't have a bunch of hitters doing that and everything else to stay eating in this economy. Most of you with opinions and advice (including myself) has not even had moderate success in this industry. This business suffers because the business itself suffers. Pay attention to those who are successful, because most are here today then gone tomorrow. Longevity belongs to those who have created a business or invested in business's that profit in and outside of music. I wouldn't be surprised to see more music people investing in Apple or similar technology due to experiencing these deficits first hand. Just as cigarette companies own the products you buy to kick the habit. You must be 10x the businessman than you are the talent to have any success in this industry. The club is closing and yall are still waiting to get in.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
@Jimmy YOU know I KNOW my shit. I cant speak for everyone else who posted in here.... But im not blowing smoke up nobodies ass... I am in a lot of circles and i only speak facts. My post in this thread wasnt a creative writing piece. It was the truth.

May 13, 2002
The number one issue is management, it really does not matter who you are or how good your song is, If you don’t have a good team around you then no company is going to take you serious, they don’t expect you to do everything yourself,

A good manager will be able to guide you and handle all the issues that need to be
Done on a daily basis , booking shows, studio time, radio interviews etc

Your manager is your right hand man, he gives you advice the lable cant or wont give you. Get one or make one

2# Publisher , not to be confused with publicist, if you have a good publisher assuming your music is good , then a record deal is not far behind, publishers
Get your music played and gain more exposure for you as a writer and or artist,producer, he gets your music placed on commercials, movie soundtracks
Video games Etc.

If I was an artist id be attending the bmi/ascap events to introduce myself to these
People, publishing is for life and can generate income for a long time if handled by the right people,

3# Not looking in all the right places, artist need to contact any and all labels and publishers from all genres of music, its not just hip hop that’s slow, there could be
some rock or country lable ready to expand into hip hop, you never know , there are huge labels in the bay area, that have never released a rap album, but maybe because no one ever ask them to do so,

more later

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
I think a big problem is artist use too many producers now, so they have no signature "sound", albums sound all over the place, you got no formula to sell, a dope rapper needs to find the dopest producer, and make something so special, and classic it cant be ignored by the masses, and then we will have a hit.

May 13, 2002
I think a big problem is artist use too many producers now, so they have no signature "sound", albums sound all over the place, you got no formula to sell, a dope rapper needs to find the dopest producer, and make something so special, and classic it cant be ignored by the masses, and then we will have a hit.
Honestly, i think this is the last thing you need to worry about,

If you have a little cash or someone to "vouch" for you top producers will offer you production as a submission track for your album , meaning if you get a deal and there track makes the final mixdown then they get paid for the track

the vouching is a label rep or a&r telling the producer hes looking at you,
all producers want to get production credits