What Will It Take For The Bay To Be Back?? (Article)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
http://www.thebayisback.com/2010/12/28/is-the-bay-really-back/

Is The Bay Really Back?

This website/blog is called The Bay Is Back. Ever since the death of Tupac, the Bay Area hip hop scene has been craving national attention. A few years back, whenever a local artist made it on BET or XXL Magazine, fans would announce that TBIB!!! However in reality, we are not even close.

The closest we came was in 2006. E-40 released “Tell Me When To Go” and introduced the nation to the Hyphy Movement. People across the country paid attention. Some were confused, others amused. Some were feeling it, while others thought we were a joke. In the end, most outside the West Coast will remember it as a Bay Area version of Crunk, with ghost riding the whip mixed in. Hyphy did bring some of our top artists attention. Clyde Carson and Mistah F.A.B. signed deals with major labels. Still, the consequences of the Hyphy Movement may have been worse than the benefits. It quickly turned into a gimmick when rappers with little talent started making songs with a hyphy sounding beat and the same lyrics as every other hyphy sounding song. The media and most fans quickly lost interest. The Pack and Federation released albums on major labels, but moved the same amount of units they would have sold independently. It’s over 4 years later and neither Clyde Carson nor Mistah F.A.B. has released his major label debut. E-40′s “The Ball Street Journal” only sold about 1/4 of what “My Ghetto Report Card” sold, although he did get some momentum back with his latest double album.

The industry is changing, and artists need to keep up. Major labels are dying. CD sales are becoming a thing of the past with MP3 sales continuing to gain popularity. It is now easier than ever for an artist to sell MP3 tracks and albums directly to fans. The only way a major label will push your product is if you make a pop single. Quality albums do not matter to them. People no longer watch BET for the newest videos or listen to the radio for the newest songs. This has been replaced by websites and blogs.

What will it take for The Bay to be back? A quality product and using the internet as a tool for promotion. Here are some basic steps I suggest artists take to help their careers and help bring The Bay back:

1) Make a quality album. If your record a song and decide it sounds “good enough”, do not include it on your album. Be a perfectionist and only select songs that are great. Choose quality over quantity.

2) Create a blog to keep fans updated on what you’ve been doing and to share new music with the world. Provide links to purchase previous releases, merchandise, and show tickets. Don’t just create a blog, but make sure people know it exists. A necessary supplement is a Twitter account, but it is too limited in what it offers to be a replacement for a blog. Promotion on Myspace and Facebook is also necessary.

3) Contact blogs/websites that focus on local music. Get them to push your music and link to your blog. Provide music or videos they can post. If you’re unknown, provide some of your best songs to date. You’ll be surprised at how many people in the industry follow local blogs. Next, reach out to the larger nationwide websites and blogs.

4) Network and collaborate with as many artists as possible from different regions. Networking is a major key because meeting the right person with the right resources can help catapult your career.

5) When you, or your label, feel like it’s time to drop an album, make sure the fans known the release date. Have it on your blog along with links to purchase the album. If you manage to get the support of bloggers, get them to post the release date. Do not keep pushing the release date back because it causes fans to lose interest. Get fans excited and anxious to hear your music.

If our artists consistently put out quality music, fans will pay attention and The Bay will be back. Right now there’s a drought. How many great Bay Area albums have come out the past 5 years? That’s how many should be coming out every year. 2011 is just around the corner. Can this be the year that The Bay comes back?

Written by: Denis
thebayisback.com

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
1) Make a quality album. If your record a song and decide it sounds “good enough”, do not include it on your album. Be a perfectionist and only select songs that are great. Choose quality over quantity.
Most rappers are missing that, the most important part of the equation.

Sep 3, 2004
www.myspace.com
Everybody is an expert thats the problem. There is no magic formula that works for everybody. Some peoples fans don't fuck with blogs while others only get their music from them. Make music that YOUR fans want to hear and then get it to them the way THEY want to receive it, not how some other artist does it. Lil B has a formula that works for him as does J Stalin as does Nickatina and all three are doing it in different ways. LISTEN TO YOUR FANS NOT OTHER RAPPERS OR SO CALLED EXPERTS!!!!

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
The bottom line is if you do not have money to spend, the music industry isnt for you. Having the hook up on everything doesn't result in sales or fans. And nine times out of 10 if you networking with other artists who are trying to get on too, you both aint getting no where fast.

It boils down to dope music. Dope music and being a dope artist is like having the janitors key ring to the game. Your music will open doors. Good news travels fast people. When you are dope you can win. People pay attention to dope shit. Fresh shit. Muthafuckas who steady try to find a short cut or a new variation of how the game is played often find themselves back at square 1 with no ground gained and broke.

I dont care who is doing what, the game IS still the same. GOOD music gets recognition. Poor music gets laughed at and kicked to the curb.

Its funny to me. I watch these blogs pop up and sites pop up and all they are is hidden agendas with a name. People are smart. They can smell some funny shit a mile away. You can only camouflage your poor music for so long before its surfaces and becomes the MAIN topic of conversation.

IF YOU ARE NOT DOPE AT MAKING MUSIC GET THE FUCK OUT THE WAY.

It is actually quite simple. Its not rocket science. The REAL fans are having a tough time sifting through the garbage music and do not know where to get the good shit. There is so much off brand wack shit floating around its no wonder everyone downloads for free. As much as its illegal and stealing, its also the artists fault for supplying so much trash to the people that they feel like they should get to hear it first.....

I will say this as far as i'm concerned.... I FEEL SORRY for any of these late 80's and early 90;s babies trying to JUMP in the rap game..... if you dont have 10 year history in the business by now, you were born too late.....

The machines and corporations make the system go now.... its no longer fan driven. A mediocre song given the "PUSH" from the right machine can generate enough money to feed a generation of a family..... While good underground music gets swept aside because we dont have access to the machine in question.....

I could go on for ever.. and im sure some will say im wrong, some will say "i aint reading all that" which is fine...

ARTISTS:stop trying to skate by being wack as fuck just to get pussy or a funky little 100 or 1000 bucks.... You aint fooling me or none of the rest of the real fans...

Stop letting your friends gas you up. Just cause you can rhyme a little bit does not make you an artist or a Star. it makes you a human who can navigate the english language similar to a 3rd grader. More than likely you still fucking suck.

Lets regather ourselves here and Make good music. THE END.

Apr 27, 2005
Most bay area albums sound like shit. Bay Rappers aren't paying for quality mixing and mastering anymore. It also doesn't help that the majority of bay area "producers" are tone deaf. :hurt:

Sep 24, 2008
thats easy if u real fan

a full brand new cd from some one like 11/5 or old lunasicc or cloud 9

see dush tray and baldhead or only so so but within the last few years they put out full proper well done cds

stop with the 20 year old no namers

every bay cd got losers on it instead of established acts...i know i know older cats had their chance and made no money but bring back the lost cats

a-1

young flav

chill bola

stevie d

ironic

bombay

lil italy

now that would be a good comp

Dec 12, 2006
The bottom line is if you do not have money to spend, the music industry isnt for you. Having the hook up on everything doesn't result in sales or fans. And nine times out of 10 if you networking with other artists who are trying to get on too, you both aint getting no where fast.

It boils down to dope music. Dope music and being a dope artist is like having the janitors key ring to the game. Your music will open doors. Good news travels fast people. When you are dope you can win. People pay attention to dope shit. Fresh shit. Muthafuckas who steady try to find a short cut or a new variation of how the game is played often find themselves back at square 1 with no ground gained and broke.

I dont care who is doing what, the game IS still the same. GOOD music gets recognition. Poor music gets laughed at and kicked to the curb.

Its funny to me. I watch these blogs pop up and sites pop up and all they are is hidden agendas with a name. People are smart. They can smell some funny shit a mile away. You can only camouflage your poor music for so long before its surfaces and becomes the MAIN topic of conversation.

IF YOU ARE NOT DOPE AT MAKING MUSIC GET THE FUCK OUT THE WAY.

It is actually quite simple. Its not rocket science. The REAL fans are having a tough time sifting through the garbage music and do not know where to get the good shit. There is so much off brand wack shit floating around its no wonder everyone downloads for free. As much as its illegal and stealing, its also the artists fault for supplying so much trash to the people that they feel like they should get to hear it first.....

I will say this as far as i'm concerned.... I FEEL SORRY for any of these late 80's and early 90;s babies trying to JUMP in the rap game..... if you dont have 10 year history in the business by now, you were born too late.....

The machines and corporations make the system go now.... its no longer fan driven. A mediocre song given the "PUSH" from the right machine can generate enough money to feed a generation of a family..... While good underground music gets swept aside because we dont have access to the machine in question.....

I could go on for ever.. and im sure some will say im wrong, some will say "i aint reading all that" which is fine...

ARTISTS:stop trying to skate by being wack as fuck just to get pussy or a funky little 100 or 1000 bucks.... You aint fooling me or none of the rest of the real fans...

Stop letting your friends gas you up. Just cause you can rhyme a little bit does not make you an artist or a Star. it makes you a human who can navigate the english language similar to a 3rd grader. More than likely you still fucking suck.

Lets regather ourselves here and Make good music. THE END.
Agree with everything you said except the late 80's, early 90's babies thang. And no, I am neither.

lenbiasyayo

Rest In Peace
Jun 24, 2008
the first time it took quality mob shit and celly cel, b-legit, c-bo, mac mall, spice-1 were all at the top of there game and so was the producers . 2nd time it took a gimik which is the only thing that can get u to the top mainstream . People useta complain that E-40 never got reconized by mainstream and when he did them same people said he sold out , stole dre's style , was a gimik ect....... the bay has to many haters and every person in the bay think they can rap example every rapper on LIVEWIRE. 40 will always sell and make classic cds , but the only other dude wit a chance is YA BOY cause he is signed to AKON.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
i think if the Bay wants to be "back" then the biggest thing we need is unconditional support. if artists, fans, DJs, promoters, clothing labels, etc. are all on the same page with each other it's gonna make it easier for everyone to come up.

but yeah, more than anything we need quality music.