VGF's Random Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2005
"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation," the Valve co-founder told Joystiq. "It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model."

He also said, "Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework." That's hardly a guarantee, but it's a promising answer given the lack of support Nintendo has gotten from Valve in the past.

I'm not a game designer or even have much knowledge of the complexity of video games, but I have played Left 4 Dead and Portal, and neither of those games seem like they couldn't be done on the Wii.

Maybe Left 4 Dead's AI is too complex for the Wii, but the graphics of that game are pretty mediocre.

Maybe the physics of Portal are too complex for Wii, but the game is pretty vanilla and sterile looking.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Team Fortress 2 Now Permanently Free

Team Fortress 2 will now be supported entirely by its in-game store.

Alongside the announcement of the Uber Update earlier this week, Valve announced that Team Fortress 2 would be free to play for the next week. Unlike when the game has been temporarily made free in the past, the ability to buy the game was removed from its Steam page. This led to speculation that it might be going to free to play for good; Steam recently began offering F2P titles, so it seemed possible.

Sure enough, Robin Walker has revealed in a Develop interview that Team Fortress 2 is now free to play -- permanently. The game added an in-game store last September to sell items (weapons and aesthetic-only hats) made by Valve and users. Allowing everyone to freely play the game increases the number of potential customers the store can see, so it's not as if this move is simply giving up money.

"We've been toying with the idea ever since the Mann-conomy update, where we added the in-game Team Fortress 2 store," Walker said. "Over the years we've done a bunch of price experimentations with the game, going all the way down to $2.49 in our random one-hour Halloween sales. The more we've experimented, the more we've learned there are fundamentally different kinds of customers, each with their own way of valuing the product. Now that we're shipping it, it feels like a fairly straightforward next step along the 'Games as Services' path we've been walking down for a while now."

The store alone will be what supports the game; Valve won't be adding a subscription option or any advertisements to bring in additional revenue. Random item drops -- a way to get almost any item from the store without paying a dime -- won't be affected, which is one subtle change cynics might expect to be made.

As someone who still frequently plays TF2 and enjoys the updates and availability of items on the store, I'm excited to see an influx of new players. The amount of support Valve has given the game since its launch in 2007 is incredible, and this hopefully means the free DLC won't be stopping anytime soon.
http://store.steampowered.com/

Jun 24, 2005
Stick..if you cop Fear 3, let me know we can do the co-op achievements #randomness
Never played FEAR or FEAR 2, so I doubt I'll get F3AR. I bought them one time though, but then sold them to my step-brother along with my old 360.

Only reason I bought them was because I was a GameFly member and decided I was gonna cancel, but I had GameFly bucks to use. I didn't want to spend much money, and FEAR 2 was pretty cheap, so I bought it and then I found FEAR for cheap on eBay. I started to play FEAR and the graphics were pretty dated, and then I looked at the achievements and they were pretty weak so I never played it.

/coolstorybreh

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Best Buy 6/26-7/2

$30 gc with purchase of a Wii Console Bundle (Mario Kart Bundle Excluded).

Buy UFC Trainer for Xbox 360 get UFC Undisputed 2010 for Xbox 360 free.

Cars 2 (Wii)- $39.99

Nascar 2011 (Wii)- $39.99

Tiger woods PGA Tour 12 (Wii)- $34.99

Country Dance (Wii)- $29.99

Top Shot Arcade (Wii)- $39.99

Thor (Wii/DS)- $19.99

Michael Jackson the Experience (Wii)- $24.99

Just Dance 2 (Wii)- $24.99

Just Dance (Wii)- $22.99

Just Dance Kids (Wii)- $17.99

Logitech Wireless F540 Headset- $99.99

STICK

Sicc OG
Jun 24, 2005
Just joined GameFly for the remainder of the summer until the big games start releasing (Gears of War 3 in September).

I have a pretty big backlog of games I want to play, so hopefully I can burn through the games to make it worth having.

Games in my Q currently:

God of War Collection
Alan Wake
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Darksiders
Batman: Arkham Asylum
God of War III
Medal of Honor

Any other recommendations you guys might have?

Jan 11, 2006
grouchoweed.ipbfree.com
Just joined GameFly for the remainder of the summer until the big games start releasing (Gears of War 3 in September).

I have a pretty big backlog of games I want to play, so hopefully I can burn through the games to make it worth having.

Games in my Q currently:

God of War Collection
Alan Wake
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Darksiders
Batman: Arkham Asylum
God of War III
Medal of Honor

Any other recommendations you guys might have?

My recommendation? You're doing Gamefly wrong. It's going to be rough getting those titles. Gamefly is a bitch when it comes to availability. What I find works is getting games on their launch day, because after launch day they go to very low availability for fucking ever.

I have about 25 games in my queue, and not a single one of them is for a game that is already out. I have NCAA football 12 on the top of my list, because it comes out next week. After that is Catherine, which comes out on the 28th.

STICK

Sicc OG
Jun 24, 2005
My recommendation? You're doing Gamefly wrong. It's going to be rough getting those titles. Gamefly is a bitch when it comes to availability. What I find works is getting games on their launch day, because after launch day they go to very low availability for fucking ever.

I have about 25 games in my queue, and not a single one of them is for a game that is already out. I have NCAA football 12 on the top of my list, because it comes out next week. After that is Catherine, which comes out on the 28th.
Most of the games in my Q have high to medium availability. I think the only one that has low availability is Bad Company 2.

I tried to get a new release before, and it didn't send it. I'm only gonna have GameFly until I play through my backlog of games, two or three months tops.

Also, good recommendation on Heavy Rain and Vanquish, Heresy. I forgot about those two.

STICK

Sicc OG
Jun 24, 2005
I recommend you take Alan Wake out of your queue. That game was one long boring repetitive mess.
I've been interested in the game. It's the first game they're sending me also.

0R0 said:
Have you ever played Bayonetta before? I'd recommend that if you haven't.
Nah. I might add that if I get through the other games though.