VGF's Random Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
After being fired from their positions at Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward early last year, Jason West and Vince Zampella filed a lawsuit against Activision for wrongful termination. They were allegedly let go for insubordination, among other things, but the two claim Activision was scheduled to pay them "substantial" royalties shortly after they were fired. Activision has its own lawsuit that describes the duo as "self-serving schemers who attempted to hijack Activision's assets for their own personal gain." EA was later added to Activision's complaint, calling the rival publisher a "co-conspirator."

A California judge allowed Activision's lawsuit to continue in March, and the same happened this week with the lawsuit against Activision. The Hollywood Reporter reports a Los Angeles Superior Court judge made the decision on Tuesday deeming that West and Zampella have "sufficient claims against Activision." This means the case is likely to go to trial at some point, although that probably won't happen for at least several more months. There's also the possibility of a settlement being reached before that can ever happen.

West and Zampella's attorney, Robert Schwartz, told USA Today, "That can't be good for Activision. They can't be happy about this."

The two have since gone on to found Respawn Entertainment. It's said to be currently at work on a sci-fi shooter for EA.
Activision has turned into a huge faggot in the last couple of years.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
A California judge allowed Activision's lawsuit to continue in March, and the same happened this week with the lawsuit against Activision.
The relevant part, I hope they win against Activision.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Target Ad 6/19-6/25

Nintendo 3DS w/ $25 Gift Card - $249.99

Buy Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS ($39.99) get ANY other 3DS game for 50% off

Cars 2 w/ free movie ticket (up to $8.50 value) to see Cars 2 (exclusive offer only at Target) - $49.99 (PS3, 360, Wii) $29.99 (DS, PC)

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Kmart Ad

June 19th through the 25th

6/19 Release:
$15 Gaming Coupon with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D ($39.99)

6/21 Releases:
$15 Gaming Coupon with Shadows of the DAMNED ($59.99)
$15 Gaming Coupon with Dungeon Siege III ($59.99)
$20 Gaming Coupon with F.E.A.R. 3 ($59.99)

Other deals:

$15 Gaming Coupon with Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon ($59.99)
Bonus: Includes exclusive comic book free with purchase!

Dualshock 3 Controller $34.99 (Reg $54.99)

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Toys R Us Ad

2 for $50

FEAR 3 - 360/PS3
Call of Duty Black Ops - 360 / PS3
LA Noire - 360 / PS3
Mortal Kombat - 360 / PS3
Portal 2 - 360 / PS3
Brink - 360 / PS3

Online and possibly In-Store sale.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Best Buy Ad

6/19 - 6/25

$39.99 L.A. Noire
$39.99 Mortal Kombat
$39.99 Brink
$39.99 Tigers Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters
$39.99 Halo Reach

$34.99 Dragon Age II ~Use the $20 off coupon from June's @Gamer Mag to make this $14.99~

$19.99 Fallout: New Vegas

$19.99 WoW Battle chest
$24.99 Rift
$44.99 Star Craft 2

Buy the Kinect standalone ($149.99), and get a free $25 gift card

$99.99 Xbox 360 slim standalone 250GB Hard Drive

$59.99 $49.99 F3AR (F.E.A.R. 3) ~ Get the Shredder in-game weapon w/ purchase ~

$59.99 Dungeon Siege III ~ Buy the game and get a free $10 gift card ~

$49.99 Cars 2 ~ Buy the game, and get a free steelbook, and a 30 day membership to World of Cars ~

$39.99 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ~ Get a $25 gift card with the purchase of Zelda and any other 3DS game ~

$19.99 POWER A-Explorer Starter Kit

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Andriasang says a new PS3 configuration is coming, but don't get your hopes too far up. The changes concern its power draw, weight, and the removal of LED lights. The hard drive for the CECH-3000B model still is 320GB, according to a retail source Andriasang quoted. The console cuts power consumption to 200W from 230W and drops in weight to 2.6 kg (5.7 lbs) from 3 kg (6.6 lbs). Pricing remains the same for the 320GB model and will make its way to shelves once the current stock runs out.

Sep 10, 2009
Sweet Deal Brehs!!

Don't know if anybody else on here are CAGs but I found this deal there. It's not on the weekly ad and might of been a misprint on Toys R Us's part, but just print out the deal just in case ;)

EDIT: Confirmed and working in Stockton, CA :) picked up L.A. Noire and F.E.A.R. 3 (which just came out today) and my total was around $54 for both. YEE!

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Rockstar has still not acknowledged that it's working on a sequel to Grand Theft Auto IV even though one is obviously inevitable. There's been a fair bit of evidence that it's coming and analyst Michael Pachter speculated that a release before the end of January 2012 made a lot of sense due to key employees' contracts ending at that time. With those contracts being extended last month, that means there's likely not as much of a rush to get the game out. It might not be quite as soon, but a new report says we'll probably be playing the newest GTA game before the end of next year.

An anonymous source close to Rockstar told GameSpot that development is "well underway." Specifically, it's already at a stage where "final touches" like minigames are being implemented, the report states. A release during 2012 is "pretty likely," according to the source.

While we still have no official word on the game, it's looking as if it'll be set in or around a Hollywood-inspired locale. (San Andreas was partially set in a Los Angeles-inspired city, so it would not be a first for the series.) Domains were registered for what sound like faux brands in a GTA game; casting calls referred to "Rush," thought to be GTAV's code name; and one casting call in particular was for a character from the series.

It's been more than three years since GTAIV was released in 2008. Take-Two, which once upon a time relied almost entirely upon the franchise to be successful, has had less need to pump out frequent GTA games in recent years. Two expansion packs were released for IV, which were essentially the equivalent of what Vice City and San Andreas were for III. The most recent original title was the handheld/portable Chinatown Wars.
They need to hurry the fuck up.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Valve has always been focused on computer games. Its support for consoles has been growing in recent years, exemplified by the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 including Steam support. Team Fortress 2, on the other hand, continues to see a great deal of post-launch support on PC -- a big update was announced just this week -- while the console versions have been left to survive on what content the game shipped with. That's still a better situation than what's available if you only own Nintendo systems; Valve has never released a game on any of Nintendo's platforms. That might change with Wii U.

Gabe Newell declined the opportunity to announce when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be coming earlier today, though he was willing to offer up some thoughts on Nintendo's latest console.

"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation," the Valve co-founder told Joystiq. "It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model."

He also said, "Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework." That's hardly a guarantee, but it's a promising answer given the lack of support Nintendo has gotten from Valve in the past.

The Half-Life developer wasn't at E3 this year, and the only new game it is known to be working on is Defense of the Ancients 2. Concept art it had hanging up in its offices was seen earlier this year, possibly giving us a hint of what might be next.
With the Wii U coming out sometime next year and Wii sales declining, it seems like a curious decision to have a high profile game like Dragon Quest X coming to Wii. (To be fair, at the time it was announced back in 2008, it made sense.) A release date still hasn't been set, but Square Enix said in March it's working on the "last parts of the game" and that more information will likely be shared "by the end of this year." Wii games are playable on Wii U, so anyone who picks up the new system will be able to play DQX. For those who do, Square Enix may end up having something special in store.

During a shareholder meeting, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada addressed a question about releasing DQX on Wii at this point in the system's life cycle. According to an Andriasang translation of the transcript, Wada said Square is in the process of "technical investigations" for what sounds like the addition of Wii U-specific content or features. It might also be that support for the Wii U controller is added so that players don't have to use the Wii remote to play on Wii U, but Wada wasn't specific enough to know for sure.

It's currently unknown if a Wii game could include something like that. Certain DS games featured exclusive, DSi-enhanced content while still allowing for the game to be playable on older DS models.

We don't know much about DQX at this point. Creator Yuji Horii has stated that its platform isn't indicative of what will happen with future titles. He explained, "I feel that some users will want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen, which is why we are working toward releasing it on Wii. Of course, in the future we might develop on handhelds again, so it's really a case-by-case basis. It all depends on what the customer wants at that time."
This is good for the Wii-U.

Want to know what the new Smash Bros. is going to be like? Well, don't ask us -- and for that matter, don't ask Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the series. Despite Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's E3 announcement that the series would be hitting the 3DS and Wii U systems, Project Sora (the independent developer Sakurai heads) is so busy working on Kid Icarus: Uprising that they haven't even started thinking about Smash Bros. yet.

"Right now, we're devoting all our manpower to working on Kid Icarus," Sakurai said in his regular column in this week's Famitsu magazine. "We've got no plans whatsoever -- we've got two new games out in the open when there's no extra time to work with them at all. It makes me cringe, and I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to make gamers wait for several years, but the early announcement was made chiefly in order to attract new team members."

The way Sakurai puts it, Sora was not quite as prepared for the Wii U's debut as they were for the 3DS. "Project Sora had intended to make a 3DS Smash Bros. once it had finished up a game on the system and had gotten used to the hardware's feature set," he wrote. "With the advent of the Wii U, though, we had a choice to make. Iwata asked us if wanted to make the next Smash Bros. on the Wii U or 3DS, and my thought was that we had to go on both platforms."

Why? Because Sakurai felt that concentrating on only one of the two systems would be too limiting for the franchise. "If we went solely for the Wii U," he said, "the HD graphics would really bump up the visual effects, but then we'd be stuck in another arms race. If we made this game another extension over previous one, we'd have to cut out the new things we could possibly do on the 3DS hardware and compete with ourselves again over the size of the character roster and the amount of gameplay we can put it. It wouldn't be a fruitful competition, but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it. That's why we decided to think about ways to link the personal connection one has with his portable system to the gather-around-and-play aspect of console systems."

So, like he did at the start of the Kid Icarus project, Sakurai is busily trying to build up a development team for the next Smash Bros. "The hardest part about game development is the burdens it places upon me," he said. "With previous projects I had a game design document in place before forming a team, but with this I don't have the time for that. I won't be able to look at every aspect of the game and balance out all the characters by myself this time. I'm trying to think about how this is going to work out, but probably I'll have to discuss it with my future development team. The future of this project really depends on the people I can get involved with it."
This not so much.