UFC 99 THE COMEBACK Franklin vs Silva

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Who will win between Ace and The Axe Murderer

• Wanderlei Silva via KO

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Wanderlei Silva via TKO

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Wanderlei Silva via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wanderlei Silva via Decision

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Rich Franklin via KO

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Rich Franklin via TKO

• Rich Franklin via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rich Franklin via Decision

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 27, 2009
Anyone watch the countdown show yesterday? Dana said if Wand wins and Anderson beats Forrest without getting hurt they might fight soon.
Now that would be some shit. I'm wondering if they'd still put on that fight even if Wand looses his fight. I'm not sure Wand's got what it takes to take out Anderson but one thing is for sure. Wand wouldn't be running from Anderson the whole fight. That fight would last about 2 minutes tops.

Countdown show was great.

Feb 7, 2006
As UFC 99 looms, Wanderlei Silva wonders if the win is finally more important than the show

For all of the ferocious attacks Wanderlei Silva (32-9-1 MMA, 2-4 UFC) has implemented with his hands, elbows, feet and knees in his 23 career wins by knockout or TKO, it is perhaps his eyes that are most intimidating.

The animal-like stare, full of evil intentions, has won "The Axe Murderer" countless fights before the opening bell ever sounded.

But on this day, Silva's threatening stare has softened, and his eyes betray him. The intimidation is replaced with reflection, and those eyes are staring at his own hands as they rest on a table in the office of his Las Vegas gym.

"My life is on the line," Silva tells MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I stand with the rope around my neck."

Silva was completing the final days of an intense training regimen in preparation for his UFC 99 main-event bout with Rich Franklin (24-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) on Saturday in Cologne, Germany. And while Silva's rightful place in MMA history as a legend of the sport was firmly cemented years ago, the 33-year-old is now struggling to remain relevant among the world's elite competitors.

Known for his brawling, go-for-broke style, Silva has earned just one victory in his past five outings. Knowing that MMA's sometimes-fickle fanbase can turn on its athletes after just a single defeat, Silva has been forced to consider redefining his approach.

"This is a hard decision for me," Silva said. "You saw the last UFC with Matt Serra and Matt Hughes. Serra had knocked Hughes down at the start of the match. Hughes fought back, but he fought just to win. He just held Serra down, but he won.

"Maybe I could just take Franklin down and hold him on the ground. Second round, same. Third round, same. Then I win the fight."

After earning an astounding 22-4-1 record in the now-defunct PRIDE organization, compiling a list of vanquished foes that could easily substitute for an MMA Hall of Fame roster, Silva has been unable to replicate that success in recent years.

Now he must determine whether the unquestionable need to return to winning ways is more important than remaining true to the style of reckless brawling that earned him a legion of adoring fans.

"People just want to have their arm raised up at the end of the fight," Silva said. "They forget about the show. But for me, it's different. I talked to my wife about it last week. I don't have depression if I win or lose because I fight every week. I fight every day in the gym. But I need to win.

"I don't know what everybody's motivation is, but for me, I feel like I'm an artist. This is my presentation. People come to watch my show. For that, I have to open up my game. I'm going in there to hit, and the guy is trying to hit me. This is the emotion of the fight. I put my life on the line. This is the emotion you have to feel and why I think my fans support me win or lose. But I don't think everyone understands this."

Silva said the balance between guaranteeing a win and putting on a good show has weighed heavily on his mind throughout the training process. It's a decision he'll have to once again consider on Saturday night.

"It's hard because if you win, you're good, and if you lose, you're bad," Silva said. "But I think I'm starting to have a different mind about this. It's not always a show. It is a sport, and the results are important. The fans just like the winners. That's the reality of it.

"It's hard. In my heart, I know I really, really need to win this fight. But in the fight, it's hard to control my emotions. We're artists, but to be a professional artist, we have to control our emotions."

With Silva and Franklin scheduled to compete at a catchweight of 195 pounds, the Brazilian's body is lighter than it has been in years of competing as a light heavyweight. The former Chute Boxe fighter is quicker in training, his cardio has improved. Silva believes he's in better condition, more motivated and more focused than he has been in recent contests.

He will have his chance to prove it on Saturday night.

"I'm going to fight [Franklin], but I don't need to say anything bad about him," Silva said. "He's my next opponent, and there's just a few options: Either I beat him, or he beats me. We're going to have a war, and there's going to be a lot of blood. I don't see it going to a decision.

"I'm prepared to put on an impressive show. The fans are going to see from me a much different Wanderlei. I'm going to be much more aggressive. I'm prepared for everything, and I really, really want him to hit me first. After that, I'm going to kill him."

It seems that even in a short conversation, Silva can't completely control the emotion, the heartfelt desire to fight toe-to-toe that has driven him since the bareknuckle days of his early career.

And should the 20,000-seat Lanxess Arena offer a warm welcome to Silva, "The Axe Murderer" is certainly bound to answer the opening bell.

"For now, I need the result," Silva said. "I'm going to need to fight for the win, not the show. But I'm saying this now: After the start of the fight, it's incredible the power the crowd has inside me. The crowd shakes my heart.

"I have a big heart. I work with my emotion, and I don't like to hear the boos. I want the crowd to cheer – with his blood or my blood. But I like the blood."

And for those unable to witness Silva's first main event as a UFC fighter, the Brazilian has a message.

"I want to say thanks to my fans for giving me their energy," Silva said. "I'm going to need that energy, and I'm going to need the support of my fans. Everyone knows this fight is so important for me.

"I know a lot of people in the world are going to have a barbecue or a party at home to watch my fight. I thank them so much for that. On June 13, I'm going to give my best. And make sure you finish your barbecue first because this fight might be over very fast. Don't close your eyes for a second."

Feb 7, 2006
Franklin, Silva Make Weight for UFC 99

The 195-pound catch-weight main event between Rich Franklin and Wanderlei Silva is set for UFC 99 on Saturday at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany.

Both headliners tipped the scales at 194 pounds Friday at the official weigh-ins.

All fighters on the 12-bout card made weight. The biggest discrepancy was between heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez and contender Cheick Kongo. Velasquez came in nine pounds heavier, though Kongo has 19 fights under his belt compared to five for Velasquez.

Main Card:
Rich Franklin (194) vs. Wanderlei Silva (194)
Cain Velasquez (239) vs. Cheick Kongo (230)
Mike Swick (169) vs. Ben Saunders (169)
Dan Hardy (170) vs. Marcus Davis (171)
Spencer Fisher (154) vs. Caol Uno (155)
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (233) vs. Mustapha al Turk (236)

Prelims:
Terry Etim (156) vs. Justin Buchholz (155)
Dale Hartt (156) vs. Dennis Siver (156)
Paul Taylor (169) vs. Peter Sobotta (169)
Paul Kelly (156) vs. Roli Delgado (155)
Stefan Struve (248) vs. Denis Stojnic (241)
John Hathaway (170) vs. Ricky Story (169)

Feb 7, 2006
Silva in UFC 99: “It will be a bloody fight”

Today’s afternoon, night in Germany, the UFC 99 will make its first edition in the beer land, but there’s an American wanting to put water in the beer of the Brazilian Wanderlei Silva. Beginning his journey towards the middle weight, Wand will face Rich Franklin in an intermediary weight, and want to return to the victories in the Ultimate.

"I'm working a lot for this fight, I’m training a lot and giving my best in all trainings. I'm at my best, because I know the importance of this fight. It has two alternatives: either I knockout the guy, or he knockout me, it will be a bloody fight... This fight won’t be warm, because I’m not a warm fighter", says Wanderlei, in an video interview published in his blog. "I respect the guy, but not now, he is my opponent and I know I have to kick his ass on the 13th, because this is very important for my career".

Beyond promising a great presentation, the Mad Dog takes to ask for the support of the fans. "Now, more than ever, I want to ask for the support of the crowd, of my fans, who will make a barbecue on June 13... I know the responsibility, I’m with a very big weight in the back. I know I have to win, and need a lot of the cheer of you all. I promise, I’ll make a worth presentation to all of you", said Wanderlei.

Aug 17, 2004
War the fucking Axe Murderer!!!! I really hope he decimates Franklin. I have always felt Franklin was a little overrated anyway. I really lost respect for him when he was a guest on TUF one season with Matt Hughes. He was being all cocky about how he hasn't seen anyone who could take him off his mantle then like a month later he got ruined by Anderson horribly.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
found this

The octagon is 11.5m on its longest diameter. This means that it has a surface area of around 118 square metres, or 1300 square feet.

The Pride FC ring is a square of 7m on each side, so 49 square metres or 544 square feet.

May 10, 2002
found this

The octagon is 11.5m on its longest diameter. This means that it has a surface area of around 118 square metres, or 1300 square feet.

The Pride FC ring is a square of 7m on each side, so 49 square metres or 544 square feet.
I'm thinking that Wand's style hasn't translated well to the larger space. Too much room for his opponents to run

lenbiasyayo

Rest In Peace
Jun 24, 2008
thought it could have went either way , wand could have finished rich but couldnt capitalize, which sucks. wand seems nice now and he was mean and hated the world in PRIDE

Feb 12, 2004
Wand got fucking robbed. Wand fan forever!!

ps. They started a petition for wand to do the wai kru dance when he enters the octagon on sherdog and he did it. How can you not love Wanderlei????

Apr 26, 2002
Cheik kongo SUCCS. WHYYYYYY did he keep clenchin wit dude after he rocced him? To me, he looks powerful and strong, he jus isn't "explosive" on the ground. And I wished wand woulda won. fold