UFC 99 THE COMEBACK Franklin vs Silva

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Who will win between Ace and The Axe Murderer

• Wanderlei Silva via KO

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Wanderlei Silva via TKO

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Wanderlei Silva via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wanderlei Silva via Decision

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Rich Franklin via KO

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Rich Franklin via TKO

• Rich Franklin via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rich Franklin via Decision

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Date Time: Jun-13-2009 3:00 PM ET

Catch weight fight at 195
Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva

Rich "Ace" Franklin
6'1"
205lbs
24-4-0
Team Extreme
Good striking, good conditioning, well-rounded
Last 3 wins: Matt Hamill, Travis Lutter, Yushin Okami
Last 3 losses: Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida

Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva
5' 11"
205lbs
32-9-1
Wand Fight Team
Striking power and technique, intensity, world-class experience
Last 3 wins: Keith Jardine, Kazuyuki Fujita, Ricardo Arona
Last 3 losses: Quinton Jackson , Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson

Feb 8, 2006
this is a close one, their both shot fighters but ima go with franklin on this one. i know he hates the silva name lol, he wants some revenge

Apr 25, 2002
hahaha coming into this thread I thought of Rich Franklins alltime greatest plan he gave his fighters in that one TUF season. As soon as a fighter comes out guns blazing drop down on one knee so you cant get caught with a knee or kick to the face.

I can't pick Franklin over Silva as well....

Jan 18, 2006
are the odds still 2 to 1 in Franklins favor if so im betting a rack for real on Silva? I actually dont know what the odds were officially, heard that from somebody

May 27, 2009
I put Silva by TKO. It sucks, every time he's fought for the past 4 or 5 fights (not counting Jardine) I can't decide who I to root for.

I'm a huge Silva fan, but also a pretty big Franklin fan as well. We'll just have to see. I got my tickets, my first UFC. I'm stoked.

May 6, 2009
I put Silva by TKO. It sucks, every time he's fought for the past 4 or 5 fights (not counting Jardine) I can't decide who I to root for.

I'm a huge Silva fan, but also a pretty big Franklin fan as well. We'll just have to see. I got my tickets, my first UFC. I'm stoked.
Damn, have fun man

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 99 IS AT 195, BUT 205 IS FRANKLIN'S HOME

Rich Franklin has caught the catchweight fever, but don’t expect him to fall below 205 pounds for the foreseeable future.

This Saturday, the former middleweight champion headlines UFC 99 with Wanderlei Silva at 195 pounds, 10 lighter than his previous two outings. For the third time, he’s crossing time zones for a big fight, this one at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany.

Silva walks around between 210 and 220 pounds and is on his way down to middleweight.

Both have agendas in their divisions.

For Franklin, it’s a chance to climb the ladder once again. At middleweight, his prospects were slim.

“Basically, (the UFC) made it pretty clear to me that they were putting me in a gatekeeper position,” said Franklin. “I couldn’t fight top contenders because they didn’t want me to fight Anderson (Silva) again. Me fighting top contenders could possibly eliminate title matches and that’s not something they were interested in doing."

The 205-pound division has seen the title change hands four times since the end of Chuck Liddell’s reign in May 2007.

“From my position, it looked like I was going to end up fighting guys on the back end of their title losses, which was something I definitely wasn’t interested in doing for the rest of my career," continued Franklin. "At which point I made the decision I would move to light heavyweight.”

Conversely, Silva’s future at 205 isn’t promising. The former Pride champ hopes a victory over Franklin will propel him towards a serious run at the 185-pound divisional title, where he has bad blood with old friend Anderson Silva.

Franklin is still trying bulk up at 205, where he fought much of his early career, so 195 won’t be a problem. He was at 210 when MMAWeekly.com spoke with him.

“As far as I’m concerned, my next fight with Wanderlei Silva, this one happens to be at a catchweight,” said Franklin. “But he’s a 205-pound fighter, so winning this fight would definitely put me in the mix of things at 205 pounds. How close to the title it puts me, I’m not really sure, and I really don’t care at this point and time. My main objective is to win the next fight that’s in front of me, and if at some point in time that turns into a title run, then great.”

So far, fighting in foreign lands has been a double-edged sword. On one hand, he gets the rock star treatment from fans that have never seen a live UFC event, much less a star in the flesh. On the other, he’s playing teacher again, getting questions from 2000 in 2009. He has to get there earlier so his body adjusts – an extra day for each time zone he crosses. Sometimes, finding the right food is hard.

Financially, it’s the same, he says.

“The UFC has put me on three cards overseas now, and when they called me and asked me to fight on the German card, there was no resistance from me,” said Frankllin. “I don’t work on a percentage of pay-per-view buys. The UFC bonuses me, they bonus me according to what they feel like I earn, I guess, and that’s that. My MO with the UFC is whatever they ask me to do, whatever they need, I do for them. They’ve always treated me well.”

It’s clear Franklin knows what to expect against Silva, though it won’t make the fight any easier.

“We’ve all seen Wanderlei fight many times,” he said. “You know what he’s going to do. He’s going to time some things and then he’s going to come in with his combinations, at which point if he lands, great. If he doesn’t land, he’s going to look to tie-up in the clinch and start throwing some knees. Those are his big tools, and you’ve seen them time and time again. If you try something new and it doesn’t work out, you’re eventually going to go back to your bread and butter anyway, and that’s what he does best, so that’s what we need to definitely make sure we’re prepared for.”

He’s unswayed by professional and armchair pundits who’ve questioned Silva’s abilities after three knockout losses.

“That thought process is out there that maybe Wanderlei has lost a step,” said Franklin. "He’s also had a nice, impressive victory as well. The punching power is still there, the destruction is still there, and anything is possible with an explosive fighter. I’m definitely not walking into this fight thinking I’m fighting a beat-down version of him. As far as I’m concerned, he’s just as dangerous now as he was when he was in Pride.”

There are several cards remaining on the UFC’s 2009 calendar, but Franklin doesn’t want to make any predictions on a return.

“It depends on how much abuse I take in this fight,” he said. “After the Henderson fight, I threw so many left leg kicks that my shin and ankle have taken a tremendous amount of abuse. I had trouble walking out of the stadium that night. It took me a while until I was back on my feet ready to train. We’ll see where I am after the fight. I would like to fight a third time this year.”

As for middleweight, only a “swan song” could bring him back to the division that brought him a UFC belt.

Jan 18, 2006
Silva needs to lose as much weight as possible imo, hes not the same fighter now that hes a little heavier.

Feb 7, 2006
WANDERLEI SILVA AGAINST THE ROPES AT UFC 99

With a nickname like "The Axe Murderer," you're either one of two things: a serial killer or one of the top fighters in the world.

Probably best described as "happy go lucky" outside of the cage, Wanderlei Silva falls into the latter category.

But in his fight with Rich Franklin at UFC 99 on Saturday, a 195-pound catchweight bout, Silva finds himself fighting for his reputation, and quite possibly, his future within the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Having lost four of his last five bouts, albeit all to world-class opposition, he knows where he stands.

"I need to (win). Every time I want to give the great show. I like to shake the emotions. This sport, you need to (win). For me, personally, (win) or lose, it no matter. I like the emotion this sport has. But this time I need to fight for (win). I really need this."

In Franklin, Silva also realizes that coming out with a win is no small task. He relishes the fight, as he always does, but he knows that Franklin poses a significant threat.

"He's a tough guy. He's complete. He's good on the ground; very, very good stand-up. I think him and I are going to have a very exciting fight," said Silva in his assessment. But even knowing where he stands, he has no exit plan. "Every time I'm fighting against the rope. I'm going, going. I never give up."

Besides, as he is descending to the 185-pound division, there is a fight that he very much wants, against former Chute Boxe teammate Anderson Silva, the current UFC middleweight champion and a training partner of Franklin's for this UFC 99 bout.

"Of course everyone want to fight the champion. I want to fight with him," said Wanderlei of the other Silva. The two have been part of an escalating war of words in recent weeks, Wanderlei especially critical of his former training partner's performance in recent bouts.

"Maybe now, after I pass Rich, it's possible I fight for the champion. I want to fight Anderson.

"Of course, I would have a lot of emotion (fighting him) cause I train with him a lot of times and I know his faults and he know my faults. I trained a lot after he leave. He train a lot. But I see him fight many, many times; maybe I know what I need to know to beat him."

First he has to know how to beat Rich Franklin at UFC 99 or a shot at Anderson at middleweight really makes no sense to the promotion or the fans. Winning one of his last five fights, and one of three in the Octagon, Wanderlei believes he has made the necessary adjustments to take a step forward and defeat Franklin.

"Before, I change too much my life. I go from my old gym, I move here. Now I don't have more excuse because I have the gym, I have the coach, I have the sparrings, I have it all," he explained in reference to recently opening his own gym, the Wand Fight Team Training Center, in Las Vegas.

"I'm training very well to fight in Octagon. I like to fight in Octagon. Now I am training full time in Octagon. I have the technique with the fence for to help me in the fight."

If he hasn't found the proper approach to fighting in the Octagon, it may well be time for Wanderlei to re-consider his future, but he's not quite ready to go there.

"I am 33, but I start when I am 13. I have 20 years on my career. The body feelings, you don't want to stop. I love to fight. I wake up in the morning and I'm going to fight, I go to train. Now I have a gym, I come in here and teach class, but it's different. I don't' know what's gonna happen after I'm stopping (fighting)."

And, for now at least, he doesn't need to consider life after fighting. Right now, he is all focused on Rich Franklin and making the training in his own Octagon in Las Vegas pay off.

Feb 12, 2004
Win or lose, IMO Wandy will go down as the greatest 205 champion in MMA's short history. In his prime his reign in Pride was amazing. How many champion's go up in weight and fight the best in that weight class?? I can't even think of one besides him and Hendo...Wandy is also the people's champ. He is the most entertaining fighter to watch because you are guaranteed action. Unfortunately, this is leading to his down fall. Whatever tho I hope he knocks Rich Franklin the fuck out this saturday!!

War Wand!!

May 27, 2009
Anyone watch the countdown show? Shit looks like it's going to be sick.

I think it starts around 6 or 7 out here. Hopefully I won't be passed out drunk by the time Franklin v. Silva starts up.

If I thought my friend would pay me back I would have got some of the good tickets. Instead I just got some nose-bleeds. Still shit'll be dope.