UFC 96 Jackson vs Jardine?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

UFC 96 Jackson vs Jardine who will win?

• Quinton Jackson via KO

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Quinton Jackson via TKO

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quinton Jackson via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quinton Jackson via Decision

• Keith Jardine via KO

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Keith Jardine via TKO

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Keith Jardine via Submission

• Keith Jardine via Decision

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
UFC 96
Mar-7-2009 7pm PT/10pm ET
Nationwide Arena, OH
Quinton Jackson vs Keith Jardine?

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
6'1"
205lbs
29-7-0
Association:Wolfslair Academy
Strengths: Boxing,Wrestling, strength, slamming ability
last 3 losses: Forrest Griffin, Mauricio Rua, Wanderlei Silva
last 3 wins: Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Chuck Liddell

Keith "The Dean of Mean" Jardine
6'2"
205lbs
14-4-1
Association:Jackson's Submission Fighting
Strengths: Well-rounded, Kicking Ability
last 3 losses:Wanderlei Silva, Houston Alexander, Stephan Bonnar
last 3 wins: Brandon Vera, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin

Feb 7, 2006
Jardine does have some nasty leg kicks and forrest hurt Rampage with his leg kicks. Jardine is a better kicker then Forrest so that may play a factor in the fight and Jardine's ground game has not really been seen either. Any thing can happen in this sport.

Jan 10, 2008
^^^That would be a beautiful. I dont dislike many fighters but Jardine is on of them. Rampage's boxing is too good and Jardines chin is very suspect IMO

Jan 7, 2004
Like most people at first glance I'm thinking Rampage is going to destroy Jardine but I thought the same with Chuck and he was able to catch Forest also so IDK he might actually pull this one out.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I fucking hate watching Jardine's janky ass stance, hope Rampage finishes him quick. It'd also be sweet if he won without any damage to set up the fight with Rashad for UFC 100.

Apr 26, 2002
rampage has the best slips and covers in mma. Jardine has one of the loopiest punches in mma. Unless jardine can utilize those kiccs effectively, the dean aint got NO chance. Fold

Feb 7, 2006
TOP RUNG OFF LIMITS, JARDINE CLIMBING LADDER

Whether Keith Jardine is first, second, or third in the light heavyweight hierarchy, the important thing is that he’s there in the first place.

“I’m probably like the third person asked to the prom on this one, I think,” he said of his UFC 96 fight with Quinton Rampage Jackson during a media teleconference. “But I got a call and couldn’t turn it down.”

The announcement that he’d face the former UFC light heavyweight champion was dropped on fans during the telecast for UFC 93, scrapping earlier reports he would face Brazilian prospect Luis Cane at UFC 97.

It’s a familiar scenario for the Jackson MMA fighter – an extremely tough match-up with implications in the division’s hierarchy. Like his teammate and current 205-pound champion Rashad Evans, he’s got a habit of throwing a wrench in everyone’s plans – whether they’re for him, or his opponents.

Whatever happens at Saturday’s fight, though, he’s aware of his role in the sport’s marquee division, and he’s okay with it.

“They just think they’re going to get a good fight from me,” continued Jardine on the UFC’s outlook. “I like to strike. I’ve never been in a boring fight. And they’re just throwing me out there and they expect me to put on a good show, but they don’t expect me to win.”

And that’s often where Jardine is at his best. When he’s expected to lose, he wins. Recently, he lost to the heavily favored Wanderlei Silva at UFC 84, but rebounded with a win over Brandon Vera as a slight underdog at UFC 89. He’s unpredictable.

“It’s just the way things work out,” he explained. “After I lost to Wanderlei, I took the (Alexander loss) as a fluke, and then I just got caught down on the head with a big punch. And the same thing happened with Wanderlei. So I had to really take a look at myself and look at how I was approaching fighting and the way I was doing things. I was able to take that with me to fight Vera, which is one of my favorite wins. I think he’s a better striker than anybody I’ve fought, better than Forrest, better than Chuck.

“So I’m just climbing the ladder right now. Since that Wanderlei fight I feel like I started over and right now I’m 1-0 in the UFC – that’s the way I look at it.”

It’s not breaking news that a fight between Jackson and Evans would be better for business. Jardine maintains he won’t fight Evans, and the UFC has already invested in Jackson. A Jardine win could create an awkward situation for those who think title shots should be given out in a straight line. But the soft-spoken fighter says, for him, it’s not all about status or dollars and cents.

“I get to beat somebody else that used to have a title, so that’s great for me,” Jardine said. “That’s why people love this sport, is because we’re not businessmen. We’re not like NFL players; they’re trying to stay healthy and get a paycheck. We fight with all of our heart and our soul.

“How are you going to do out there and give the audience what they deserve when you’re fighting one of your best friends? That is just not going to happen.”

Jardine does promise that he'll continue to give his heart and soul, even if the top rung of the ladder may be off limits.

“I’m going to have a long career,” he said. “All of that stuff will work itself out. I have no problems up in heavyweight. I have no problem knocking out contenders either. So we’ll see. I’m in this game for a long time.”

Feb 7, 2006
READY FOR JARDINE, NO EASY FIGHTS FOR RAMPAGE

When former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Rampage Jackson decided to make his move to the United Kingdom and become a full time member of the Wolfslair Gym, many wonder what the end result would be. The answer came in the form of an emphatic knockout of longtime rival Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92 in December 2008.

Since that time Jackson has continued to train abroad in England with training partners like Michael Bisping and Cheick Kongo, while staying focused on getting his title back. The next step towards that goal comes by way of Keith Jardine, who opposes the Tennessee native this Saturday night at UFC 96 in Columbus, Ohio.

Speaking about Jardine, Rampage had nothing but compliments for his opponent, and he understands the skill level of the "Dean of Mean."

"I think he’s an excellent fighter," Jackson said about Jardine recently. "So you know he got big wins. He got big losses just like us all. You know what I’m saying? That don’t make a fighter, how many losses, how many wins you got, what type of fighter. Anything can happen on any given day. I like Keith’s style. He’s got a good little style. He stands up and he likes to bang. He’s a good fighter."

Coming into this fight, much like the third bout with Silva in December, Jackson draws upon a loss to gain motivation to hit the gym and train harder than he ever had before.

"After my performance with Forrest I’ve been so ashamed of myself, so every fight I’m motivated. I’m motivated to go out there and look good and win because I know what type of fighter I am," he stated. "And I was really disappointed in myself for letting myself take it to that point where I’m not motivated and I get it in my head that all of these guys are easy.

"There’s no more easy fights. I’m motivated to train hard every time."

That motivation to train has pushed Jackson that much harder when working with his new team at the Wolfslair. He gives them credit for helping him get to where he's going for this fight, and beyond.

"I chose to train at Wolf’s Lair because I see the way they train. The guys train really hard there, no non-sense, and they’ve got really good coaches there," commented Rampage. "And a lot of people would be surprised if they came and saw how the training is there. It’s not like the best looking gym you ever want to see. They don’t care about that type of thing. All they care about is putting in hard work. And there’s a lot of guys that are training. It’s a good training environment. Everybody at the gym is a fighter. It’s the type of place where I like to train at."

Jackson also commented on the differences that a nutritional plan has made in his career, something he had never done before working with the Wolfslair.

"Actually it did make training camp better," he said about eating better before his fights. "It’s doing its job. I never ate really good. I never took supplements and stuff before. So now I’m doing it. I’m 30 years old now and so it makes a big difference."

The former light heavyweight champion says as long as he's healthy and ready he wants to keep competing this year. While he is in no way looking past Jardine, if given the choice for his next match of another shot at Forrest Griffin or a title bout against Rashad Evans, he has an answer.

"I guess I’d probably go for the title shot," Jackson said.

While a title shot seems almost virtually guaranteed with a win, Jackson remains focused on Keith Jardine at UFC 96, and everything else stays in the background.

Feb 7, 2006
Jackson On Jackson: Trainer Talks Jardine-Rampage

There are no off days when your client list includes the likes of Georges St. Pierre, Nathan Marquardt, Rashad Evans and Leonard Garcia among many others. Last Sunday, master trainer Greg Jackson was in the corner of both Damacio Page and main eventer Leonard Garcia at WEC 39. This Saturday, Jackson will be back in the spotlight, as he corners Keith Jardine (14-4-1) against former light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (29-7) in UFC 96’s headliner in Columbus, Ohio.

Jardine (14-4-1) has been on this big stage before with mixed results. While the Jackson pupil has wins over Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell, he’s also lost in just as emphatic a fashion to Houston Alexander and Wanderlei Silva. Facing another potent striker in Rampage, Jackson thinks the game plan for Jardine is simple.

“Quinton’s a strong puncher so I guess trying not to get punched would be a big thing,” Jackson told on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “Sometimes you just get caught. This is a big powerful division and Keith’s fighting all the best. So if you zig when you should’ve zagged at any time you can get caught. Anyone can get caught. He’s been caught once or twice before but that helps us because we want him to take a power puncher very seriously. I think it’s more of a matter of making sure you do everything at the right time and the rest will take care of itself.”

Dissecting the fight further, one quickly realizes the role that leg kicks could potentially play in this bout. Jardine has become well known for his strong kicks -- it helped lead him to that decision win over Liddell. Rampage, on the other hand, was picked apart with leg kicks in his bout with Forrest Griffin at UFC 86, and lost his title because of it. However, Jackson the trainer believes the sport changes too quickly for Jardine to rely on what may have worked in another fight.

“You have to remember that everyone is getting better,” said Jackson. “Quinton’s a smart guy and he’s going to go back and watch out for leg kicks. The Wolfslair guys are great strategists so they’re going to know that Keith has great leg kicks. I don’t think they’re going to be a huge factor in this fight because he knows they’re coming. It’s like me coming up to you and telling you I’m going to punch you in the face with my right hand. If you’re ready for it it’s a lot harder to punch you in the face with my right hand, so I don’t think they’re going to be a huge factor in this fight.”

The main event on Saturday could serve as a springboard to a light heavyweight title bout with another Jackson camp fighter. If Rampage gets past Jardine, a rendezvous with newly crowned Rashad Evan probably awaits. Jackson, known by his fighters as “Yoda,” will then be sent right back to the corner.

“Every time we go against someone I get to know them a little bit better so it definitely helps out to have fought them if we’re going to fight them if it in fact worked out that way,” Jackson said. “It’s an advantage for me because I learn. If we win I learn and if we lose I learn, but I’m always learning and I’m always studying. It’s my only redeeming feature. So it’s a little bit of an advantage to have an experience with something or somebody. It helps guide you into the future for sure.”

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White questions whether Keith Jardine wants to be a champion

UFC President Dana White had some choice words for UFC light heavyweight Keith Jardine in Wednesday’s edition of the USA Today.

White was asked to respond to a Yahoo! Sports interview in which Jardine made it clear that he has no intentions of fighting training partner and UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.

Jardine specifically said that he would not fight Evans, who he also referred to as one of his best friend, should he defeat Quinton “Rampage” Jackson this Saturday during the main event of UFC 96. He went on to say he gets asked all the time about a potential matchup between the two but that he has no interest in the fight.

Count White as someone who disagrees with that philosophy.

“This isn’t basketball or football,” the UFC President is quoted. “You’re not part of a team. Do you want to be the champ? If Rashad’s got that belt, what are you going to do - sit your whole career out and wait for Rashad to retire?

“I disagree with that. And I have to their face many times… Their careers are going to cross paths. And when they do, they’re going to have to fight.”"

As of now, the conflict appears to be moot. If Jardine upsets Jackson, Evans is instead expected to defend his title at UFC 100 against Lyoto Machida. Jardine also indicated in the Yahoo! Sports interview that he would have no problem moving back up to heavyweight