The Recommend A Foreign Movie Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 27, 2006
The Wind that Shakes the Barley

a GREAT movie about the struggle for Irish Independence. I saw it right when it came out when i was in Ireland in 2006 and it was a great experience, very emotional. It won the PALME D'OR at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival. I really recommend it

Nov 27, 2006
hahahaha yeeeeeeeee my man! but yea it really is a well done movie. but damn ima never forget seeing that movie at the theater in Dublin opening night, great experience.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Gegen Die Wand (Head-On)

One of the best movies ever!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347048/

In St. Pauli, Hamburg, the alcoholic, drugged and hopeless German with Turkish roots Cahit Tomruk (Birol Ünen) lives like a pig in a small dirty apartment and survives collecting empty bottles in the night-club "Die Fabrik". One night, he gives up living, and hits his car against a wall. However, he survives the crash and is sent to a clinic, where he meets Sibel Güner (Sibel Kekilli), a younger German Turk, with suicidal tendencies. Sibel is the younger daughter of a conservative Turkish family, and proposes a fake marriage to Cahit, in order to permit her to leave her family; in return, she would share the rent of the flat, and she would cook and clean the place, and they could have independent lives. Cahit accepts, but while living with Sibel, he falls in love for her, until a tragedy happens.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Well, I didn't know the whole story, so it was interesting for me...not a bad movie. I would recommend it to people who are interested in the subject.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Das Experiment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment. In the beginning the mood between both groups is insecure and rather emphatic. But soon quarrels arise and the wardens employ ever more drastic sanctions to confirm their authority.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Death at a Funeral (2007) - Frank Oz

Daniel is a decent young man, married to Jane, still living at his father's home. When his father dies, it is up to him to organize his funeral. On this painful morning, the suitable grave expression on his face, Daniel is ready to welcome his father's friends and relatives. But preserving the dignity inherent in such circumstances will be a hard task. Particularly with an undertaker who botches his work, the return from the USA of his famous but selfish brother, his cousin's fiancé who has accidentally ingested drugs, the presence a moron who takes advantage of the sad event to win back the heart (or rather the body) of a woman who is about to marry another, of a handicapped old uncle who is also the most unbearable pain in the neck. To cap it all, Daniel notices the presence among the mourners of a mysterious dwarf nobody else seems to know...
Hilarious movie. One of my favorite comedies from any country in at least the last ten years.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Blood Brothers (Gong Wu)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415080/

When Triad leader Hung's wife gives birth to a baby boy, Hung considers leaving the world of the gangsters. Despite the fact that he is not sure of his decision, word gets out fast and now, a brutal war begins in the world of "jiang-hu". Two hoodlums, Wing and Turbo, set to make a name for themselves, are ordered to kill Hung. Meanwhile, an internal conflict begins between Hung and his #1 man, Left-Hand. Despite this conflict, the two have nothing but respect for each other. However, they know deep down, that there are people waiting to get rid of Hung.

Feb 7, 2006
I like old shit, this is my europen list:

*le samourai - melville
*the conformist - bernardo bertolucci
alphaville - Jean luc Godard
*If... -
*the eyes without a face - franju
la dolce vita - fellini
*The kingdom - Lars von trier -long as hell 4 1/2 hours was a miniseries

May 14, 2002
I have to represent Holland here:

Soldaat van Oranje - Soldier of Orange (1977)

This film depicts World War II through the eyes of several Dutch men. It covers the beginning of the war, the Nazi occupation and the liberation. It has resistance fighters, Nazi collaborators, torture by the Gestapo and nekkid boobs. The film manages to be both entertainment and a very serious and patriotic portrayal of the role of Holland in WWII.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I like old shit, this is my europen list:

*le samourai - melville
*the conformist - bernardo bertolucci
alphaville - Jean luc Godard
*If... -
*the eyes without a face - franju
la dolce vita - fellini
*The kingdom - Lars von trier -long as hell 4 1/2 hours was a miniseries
Eyes Without a Face is an amazing movie.

I've seen If... as well and I agree it is a great flick.

I haven't seen the others so thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to check them out.