The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
I was hoping Ichiro got put out of number 1 in the line-up last season. He is now, but not too sure about his replacement. But we'll see how that works out.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
after the initial homer'ism wore off, im kind of questioning ichiros motivation to be moved to the third spot.

its like he was like "oh, now that my hitting streak record is gone, i might as well do what i can to help the team". right? i mean wtf... its almost like admitting he was continuing to do that shitty slap-stick style of hitting just to keep his record going, instead of doing what it takes to win games.

oh well, i think wedge is trying to save face for ichiro by shifting all the attention and anger towards that scrub figgins. i really do hope though that figgins hits like .333 for the first month of play (LOL YEAH FUCKING RIGHT) then someones stupid enough to think hes still got some baseball in him and they take the trade. who knows... figgins might be valuable to a team that has a lot of offense going... he seems like the type to jump ship when things are bad, get some things done when everything is going the teams way. a good team might find a little bit of use for him, if he can show that he still has the will to play and can still hit

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
lol no way, if ichiro gets traded, id take that as a sign that the mariners are getting ready to be sold.

ichiro is the mariners, his fan base in japan and all the young kids in seattle who love him is probably 80% of the reason the mariners even exist still

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
lol, nice majority owner.....

Despite owning a majority stake in the Seattle Mariners since 1992, retired Nintendo chairman Hiroshi Yamauchi has never seen the team play in person.

That's a fact that blows my mind every time I'm reminded of it. It's also one that won't change this week, even as the Mariners play two games against the Oakland A's at the Tokyo Dome in Yamauchi's home country of Japan.

The 84-year-old is said to be the only majority owner in major American pro sports history who has never laid eyes on his own team.

From Sportspress Northwest:

"He'll be watching on TV," (Mariners CEO Howard) Lincoln said after a press conference at the Tokyo Dome Hotel. "Given all the years he's been involved with the Mariners, he's really looking forward to see the team play. He's very excited."

Asked if age and health were the primary reasons Yamauchi will not leave his home in Kyoto for the two-hour trip, Lincoln said, "He didn't give me a reason, he just indicated to me he's not going to be here ... Quite frankly, a man of his age and stature doesn't have to explain why he's not here."

Yamauchi reportedly has a John Madden-type aversion to travel, which would explain why he was never in Seattle to watch Ken Griffey slide into home to beat the Yankees in '95, bear witness to any of the 116 regular-season victories in 2001 or see any of the 2,428 hits that his countryman Ichiro has collected on North American soil.

Yamauchi reportedly had a front-row ticket purchased for the Mariners' last planned visit to Japan in March 2003, but that trip was canceled because of the Iraq war.

Now, for whatever reason, Yamauchi is missing perhaps his last great chance to watch the Mariners play. Being 84 is a great excuse to avoid almost any commotion, but we'll still probably always wonder about the popular rumor in Seattle that Yamauchi doesn't even like baseball.

Going 0-for-20 years tends to breed that type of suspicion.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
damn, mariners lighting it up these first few games!

im glad they moved figgins to the #1 spot where he belongs. its working out great so far. it took far far too long for them to figure it the fuck out

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
what a shitty week.

mariners blow an 8-1 lead
felix pitches a fuckin gem, gets 12ks, league blows the save
no hitted

lol @ getting no-hitted the day after ichiro bobblehead night

fuck the mariners ownership and management

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
lol @ the mariners having like the worst week ever, far worse than i could even imagine was possible

then following it up by completely owning and sweeping the tigers like we're some kind of offensive juggernauts