The official san diego chargers thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
For some reason I can see Jon Gruden as the Head Coach of the chargers.... And with the GM gone as well, that leaves room to offer Gruden more power.... Long shot but yeah... just a thought

Mar 16, 2005
Have fun with McCoy, wasnt a big fan of his playcalling. didnt seem to be of any help in the draft room either. Im still wondering why he was a "hot item"

Jan 12, 2006
The McCoy hiring seems like a solid hire for the chargers, the thing i do know is it was time for a change and with this move that change has now happened. McCoy deserves some credit the way he was able to build a offense around Orton, then cater to Tebow. Can't give him to much credit for this season since Manning is known to run his own show, but then again Caldwell was Mannings OC for years and that didn't stop NFL teams from handing him a head coaching and offense coordinator job. Much like the raiders hire of Dennis Allen we will have to wait and see, hard to call.

Mar 16, 2005
See I think people give to much credit for Tebow. he didnt reallt "Cater" to tebow, he just pulled like 70% of the playbook. Nothing was changed just plays removed. Orton I think was more a mcdaniels project than a mccoy project, mcdaniels handled most of the offense stuff during his short time.

Im with rasan I dont get it but hey i also dont get paid the big bucks either.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
my 2 cents.....scary, as you were saying about the whole tebow thing. the fact that he pullled 70% of the playbook and catered the offense to him is a win for me. i hated that Norv wouldnt change his style or calls based on talent or lack there of...Mccoy said something in the conference that i loved he said, "if you dont have the speed on the outside to stretch the field, why throw deep" which is the exact opposite of what Norv would do.

All in All, i dont know if i like the pick or not. the only thing that im excited about is that this whole off season is so NOT like chargers protocol. Hiring a young HC and GM is the opposite of what we are used to around here...so we shall see....
usually when the chargers make a hire or move, we are laughed at. but from what ive been reading so far, the telasco and Mccoy hires have been applauded(which means nothing, i know)

also, i could say that he commanded the room and spoke very well, came off as a good leader. again, things we are not used to

Props: thascary1

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
I totally disagree that he didn't change the playbook for Tebow. He brought the read option to the NFL for him that everybody and their momma runs now. Then opened it up for Manning. Had success doing both.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
Another OC who benefits from having a Hall Of Fame QB

everyone knows Peyton Manning is 99% of the Broncos offense.

And yea, you could say that the Donkeys made the playoffs last year, BUT their defense in beast. And people tend to overlook that.

I see him doing ok for Charger just because Rivers is a good QB, but he won't do anything that hasn't been done in SD under Norv.

Mar 16, 2005
BAM JL nailed it.

and Esco I like the telasco hire for sure, he's def an upgrade and someone who could be around a loooong time.

I totally disagree that he didn't change the playbook for Tebow. He brought the read option to the NFL for him that everybody and their momma runs now. Then opened it up for Manning. Had success doing both.
sure its called read option but it really wasnt, it was run all way all the time. and HE didnt open anything up for manning, you could ALWAYS tell when a mccoy call was ran vs when manning audibled out of it. Not saying its a bad hire for chargers I just think its a major unknown. But like Esco said, fresh blood and soemthing they needed to do for awhile anyways. And Mccoy isnt a me 1st guy so it wont blow up in thier face like say a mcdaniels did for us.

Props: JLMACN