The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
tarver seems like a good hire, he'll have a lot of help from allen too. I'm more worried about knapp running the offense now.

Raiders make Tarver official as DC

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, February 6th, 2012 at 12:01 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders confirmed the hiring of former 49ers and Stanford assistant coach Jason Tarver to be their defensive coordinator Monday as coach Dennis Allen continues to put his staff together.

Tarver, 37, served as the co-defensive coordinator for the Cardinal in 2011 and before that worked from 2001 through 2010 through five different head coaches with the 49ers.

Under the direction of Tarver and co-coordinator Derek Mason, Stanford’s defense ranked either first or second in the Pac-12 in eight categories, finishing first in rushing (93.3), first in red zone defense (74.0), first in third-down conversion percentage (30.9 percent), first in total defense (331.4) and first in fewest first downs per game (17.8).

Stanford was second in sacks per game (3.2), scoring defense (20.3) and tackles-for-loss per game (7.3).

The Cardinal was fifth nationally in rushing defense, an area where the Raiders have struggled, giving up 5.1 yards per carry in 2011 under Chuck Bresnahan.

Tarver, who attended Foothill High in Pleasanton, was first reported as a candidate Saturday by ESPN, which was confirmed by a source with knowledge of the situation. The Web site Footballscoop.com reported Saturday Tarver had accepted the position.

The Raiders now have all three coordinators in place, with Greg Knapp replacing Al Saunders and Steve Hoffman taking over for John Fassel, but still have a number of assistant coaching positions to fill.

On offense, the Raiders still have not hired assistant coaches for quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends. Oakland went without a quarterbacks coach in 2011 with head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Al Saunders handling the position, but are likely to hire one this season to assist Knapp.

Allen’s background is entirely in defensive football.

On defense, the Raiders have not hired assistants for the defensive line, linebackers and the secondary (Oakland had two coaches for defensive backs last season, Rod Woodson for cornerbacks and Kevin Ross for safeties).

The Raiders could also be in the market for a special teams assistant for new special teams coordinator Steve Hoffman.

Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown, a member of the Raiders organization for 41 years, including the last 15 listed on the coaching staff as being in charge of “squad development’’ is currently not on the coaching roster.

Jan 4, 2003
I can already tell this is gonna be a hard nosed disciplined football team.. there will be no tolerance.. and those guys who won't abide will simply be gone.. time to turn this into a professional football organization like it should have already been..

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Raiders poach Kiffin’s staff for WR coach

Tuesday, February 7th, 2012 at 7:59 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders will hire USC wide receiver coach Ted Gilmore to coach wide receivers, replacing Sanjay Lal, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

Gilmore coached one of the most productive groups of wide receivers in the country on the staff of former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
They should bring in Romo to work with McClain.
#BOARHUNTERS
They actually mentioned that to Romo on 95.7 one time. I don't remember his exact response, but something along the lines of he loves the Raiders, but he's happy where he is right now

I think it would be a good hire though, you know he would get those guys fired up, and think he would do a good job at teaching those guys the right way to play the position

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
shit... I don't give a fuck... you know hella players are juicin right now anyways. this aint baseball, nobody gives a fuck about that shit in the NFL

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
They actually mentioned that to Romo on 95.7 one time. I don't remember his exact response, but something along the lines of he loves the Raiders, but he's happy where he is right now

I think it would be a good hire though, you know he would get those guys fired up, and think he would do a good job at teaching those guys the right way to play the position
I remember that. It would be cool though, if there's anybody that can bring "it" out of McClain it would be Romo. I bring it up because whenever they have him on and ask him about McClain or the defense, he gets so fired up, and always says theres so much potential with McClain that isnt being tapped. He's a bacon eater, with the potential to be a boar hunter.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
This right here is a great hire. as a USC fan I am sad to see this guy leave, but at least it's to my nfl team:

Raiders poach Kiffin’s staff for WR coach

Tuesday, February 7th, 2012 at 7:59 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders will hire USC wide receiver coach Ted Gilmore to coach wide receivers, replacing Sanjay Lal, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

Gilmore coached one of the most productive groups of wide receivers in the country on the staff of former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin.