The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
looks like that pic was taken at ricky's sports bar in san leandro..

last time gruden was here in the bay (i think it was for the MNF game between the 9ers/Steelers) he went to ricky's where they made some kind of an event for him, a fan asked him if he would ever consider coming back to coach the raiders and he said all they need to do is ask..

get to it Reggie!!!
that's exactly where the pic was taken...

"Actually two years ago.chucky showed.up.at the san leandro california raiders sports bar RICKYS..all dressed up in raiders gear and few fans said we want you back and GRUDENS exact words was...i love you guys once a raider, always a raider...money can buy out any contract and if the circumstances were different I would love to be back with the raider nation."
also...

Rich Gannon said on Sirius NFL Radio today that he believes the Oakland job is the one job that could pull Jon Gruden from the broadcasting booth. He also stated that Madden has a great relationship with Jon Gruden and could be the one to get him to come back to Oakland. (from bleacher report)
with that being said... I still don't think it will happen. we can dream though, right?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
We're interviewing the Saints OC... so it looks like Reggie isn't just looking at Packers coaches...

Raiders interested in Broncos coordinators; Saints OC interviews

By Steve Corkran
Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 10:55 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders asked for, and received, permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen, according to an ESPN report.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter also said that the Raiders interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr. last Friday, soon after Carmichael arrived in the Bay Area for his team’s NFC Divisional Playoff game against the 49ers.
Carmichael Jr. presided over the league’s top-ranked offense this season, which has sent his stock soaring.
McCoy already has been contacted by the Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins about their head coaching vacanies, with the Jaguars ultimately hiring Mike Mularkey to replace Jack Del Rio before McCoy interviewed.
McCoy flew to Miami today for his interview with the Dolphins. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also are thought to be interested in speaking with McCoy at some point.
Broncos head coach John Fox said the amount of interest in his coordinators speaks volumes about his team’s success this season.
“It’s very complimentary to this organization that they’re having that opportunity and to their work,” Fox said in his season-ending news conference today. “That’s any assistant coach’s aspirations, to be a head coach. It speaks for what this organization has accomplished this season and time will tell.”
McCoy, 39, has become a hot commodity for his impressive work with quarterback Tim Tebow this season. McCoy was forced to shift from a traditional offense to an unconventional one midstream once Fox replaced Kyle Orton with Tebow.
McCoy succeeded in implementing a read-option scheme so that the Broncos could take advantage of Tebow’s unique skill set. People around the league took notice when the scheme worked and the Broncos soared from 2-5 to the AFC West title.
“He’s done a tremendous job,” Fox said of McCoy, in his season-ending news conference today. “As I mentioned even when I came here and hired Mike McCoy as the offensive coordinator, I knew him a lot better than you guys did, having coached with him for seven, eight years in Carolina. He’s definitely capable. He’s got those abilities. We’ll see how it goes.”
Allen made over a Broncos defense that was among the league’s worst in 2010 and jelled into a comprehensive unit, Sunday’s thrashing at the hands of the New England Patriots notwithstanding.
Allen, 39, also has garnered interest from other teams in need of a head coach this offseason. The St. Louis Rams spoke with Allen before they hired Jeff Fisher.
It’s conceivable that Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie is seeking to glean information into the inner workings of the Broncos by picking the minds of the guys who direct their offense and defense.
That’s a strategy used by the late Al Davis for years.
At some point, McKenzie is expected to turn his interest toward Green Bay Packers assistant head coach/linebackers coach Winston Moss.
Two people who have dealt with McKenzie over the years said the McKenzie said he would hire Moss as his head coach if he ever reached a position where he had the say to do so.
Well, McKenzie now is in that position. We’ll see whether he follows through on that intention or whether someone such as McCoy, Allen or another candidate sways him in another direction.
Dolphins interim coach Todd Bowles interviewed with McKenzie last week. He is the only other candidate known to have interviewed for the vacancy created by the firing of Hue Jackson six days ago.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
It's nice to see multiple people interviewed....I hate the offseason tho, too much speculation and dreaming, not enough facts and actions

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
nice to see the nation trying to get Chucky back Raider nation would go nuts an i think it would really boost the team an the fans would def be behide him an he could teach these young players Raider Football An Bring in Rich Gannon An Old Raiders To Teach These Young Guys But jus dont see it really working out like that

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
chucky's problem with al, was that al wouldn't give him full control over the roster and al was right not to. just look what gruden did once he got control over tampa, he fucked their team up. don't know why he wanted control over the roster anyway, al was making good moves back then. you think reggie is gonna give him control over the roster?

besides that, when's the last time you heard about a coach leaving to do non-coaching work for 3+ years, then coming back and having success?

Nov 3, 2011
oh god getting jon gruden back would be a dream come true.... i am still pist that we let him go in the 1st place. il be praying tonight! lol but i dont see it happening since reggie seems to have his head up his ass with that "i want my guy" bullshit

Nov 2, 2002
Im sure Gruden has gotten the coaching bug after these past few years of not coaching. Someone just needs to make him a good offer. I dunno what his ESPN contract is though

Mar 8, 2008
Im sure Gruden has gotten the coaching bug after these past few years of not coaching. Someone just needs to make him a good offer. I dunno what his ESPN contract is though
he probably got the "coaching bug " after coaching/assisting his sons football team in FL. that and the Gruden's QB camp he did for ESPN earlier in the year.

bring back Chucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
We were one defensive stop from being in the playoffs, I hope McKenzie doesn't do some stupid shit and put us in a "rebuilding" process

Jun 23, 2005
The Oakland Raiders interviewed Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen in Denver on Wednesday for their head coaching vacancy, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was scheduled to interview Wednesday with the Raiders as well, but he went to New York to meet with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross instead, the sources said.

AFC West blog
ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Allen just finished his first year as defensive coordinator in Denver. He had previously been an assistant in Atlanta and New Orleans.

The Raiders will interview Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg this weekend, a league source told ESPN's Schefter, and will meet with Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice on Jan. 24, a league source told ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright.

Mornhinweg worked with Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie in Green Bay, where Mornhinweg was first an offensive assistant and then the quarterbacks coach.

Tice, 52, joined the Bears in January 2010 after spending three years with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was promoted from offensive line coach to Chicago's chief playcaller earlier this month after Mike Martz left the Bears' staff.

McKenzie started work with the Raiders last Tuesday. His first move was to fire coach Hue Jackson, who went 8-8 in his only season as head coach. McKenzie said at the time he wanted his own guy as head coach, leading to speculation that one of his former colleagues in Green Bay could get the job.

The coaching search started last week when McKenzie interviewed former Miami Dolphins interim coach Todd Bowles on Friday.

The Raiders also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr. for the vacancy on Friday while New Orleans was in the Bay Area for Saturday's divisional playoff game against San Francisco, a league source told Schefter on Monday.

Green Bay Packers linebackers coach Winston Moss, who played four seasons with the Raiders, has expressed interest in the job.

Other potential candidates in Green Bay include offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, defensive coordinator Dom Capers, quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and secondary coach Darren Perry.

Tice, Capers and Mornhinweg are the only people on the Raiders' list of candidates with previous NFL head coaching experience.

Nov 1, 2004
I can't understand why people want Gruden back... The Raiders were stacked those years. Chucky won his Superbowl in his first season with the Buccs. Dungy built that team, not Gruden.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I can't understand why people want Gruden back... The Raiders were stacked those years. Chucky won his Superbowl in his first season with the Buccs. Dungy built that team, not Gruden.
it's like they all forgot why he stopped coaching and went to espn. he was fired for being horrible and fucking up the bucs team that dungy put together. how about we bring callahan back, he took our team to the super bowl!

we need new blood at head coach