The official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 2, 2002
Because hoofing the ball up the bitch and taking pot shots from 35 yards is the way to play football, right?
i didnt say that, but its certainly more entertaining for the common fan to watch.
A lot of non soccer/football fans that gave this game a try were turned off by how boring and sloppy this shit was

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
i didnt say that, but its certainly more entertaining for the common fan to watch.
A lot of non soccer/football fans that gave this game a try were turned off by how boring and sloppy this shit was
That's a problem of the non-football fans who need to get educated about the game. Those that understand it are in awe every time Barcelona (and by extension Spain) plays.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Of course, your vision of the game is the reason why the EPL is the most popular league in the world. But it is also the reason why England never finds a solution to the cunning strategy opposing teams apply - pass the ball to a teammate and make yourself open to receive it back...

Nov 2, 2002
That's a problem of the non-football fans who need to get educated about the game. Those that understand it are in awe every time Barcelona (and by extension Spain) plays.
even the expert commentators that covered the match were pissed off how bad it was. You cant say that this was a good match.

The Spanish guy was like "i hope people dont remember this world cup by the final, i hope they remember all the good matches we had prior to this one"

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
even the expert commentators that covered the match were pissed off how bad it was. You cant say that this was a good match.

The Spanish guy was like "i hope people dont remember this world cup by the final, i hope they remember all the good matches we had prior to this one"
it was a terrible fucking game. spain played total football and holland played street fighter.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005

Where did you watch the game? If those were British "expert commentators", you should not listen to anything they say. British "expert commentators" are the ones who claim that one team (Barcelona or Spain) holding the ball for >70% of the time makes the game boring, while completely ignoring the level of sophistication of their off the ball movement, the intricacy of their passing and the patience with which they create openings.

That said, yes, this game wasn't the best of the tiki-taka style, but this is because first, Holland did a very good job of denying Spain space, and second, Spain in general plays a more cautious, less direct style than Barcelona, taking fewer risks. Which is because they are almost the same team but they lack Messi and Dani Alves who make it possible for Barca to take more risks.

When Spain are allowed space though, this is what happens:

The above is one of the best illustrations of what the art of football really can be in the hands (OK, feet) of real masters of the game.

And I will go even further, embracing the not so old saying that "goals are overrated".

Once again, this is ART:

This is Route One Football:

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
it was a terrible fucking game. spain played total football and holland played street fighter.
Correct. Quite ironic given the history of the game and how Spain, i.e. Barcelona, got to play Total Football.

I think they should give Cruyff an honorary gold medal too, after all he is the primary reason Spain won