~The Official Cubs Rule Thread~

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
The Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs have agreed to a multi-player deal that will bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.

The deal, which has been agreed to pending physicals, sends right-handed pitcher Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa for Garza, a minor league pitcher and minor league outfielder Fernando Perez.

Archer, 22, combined to go 15-3 with 2.34 in 28 games between Single-A Daytona and Tennessee, and was the Cubs' 2010 minor league pitcher of the year. Archer was acquired by the Cubs in a trade that sent popular utility man Mark DeRosa to the Cleveland Indians.

Guyer batted .344 with 13 home runs and 58 RBIs for Double-A Tennessee in 2010. The 24-year old was the Cubs' minor league player of the year.

Lee batted .282 and stole 32 bases for Single-A Peoria.

Fuld played in 98 games for the Cubs between 2007-10. He batted .299 in 65 games in '09.

The Cubs and at least three other teams had been negotiating with the Rays about Garza since the December winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Garza, 27, is coming off his best season, compiling a 15-10 record with a 3.91 ERA. Garza averaged 6.6 strikeouts and 2.77 walks per nine innings. Hitters batted .248 against Garza in 2010.

Tampa, in the mode of retooling the next few seasons, was willing to trade Garza for top young talent. The Rays were looking to get a shortstop, catcher and some top-caliber young pitching in return for Garza.

_________________________________-

Nice pick-up. Gave up alot of talent though for him.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Starling Castro gonna be a monster and I really like the rotation and bullpen. Don't think we have enuff offense tho. Marlyn Byrd batting 3rd is a joke. Should be 3-1 rite now tho if Marmol didn't blow that or if Byrd didn't hit the most routine double play ball ever.

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
Yea, Castro is fucking great, and he is the youngest player in the MLB aswell. Aramis looks like he is going to bounce back after that horrible year last year. Byrd should not be batting third, more like 6th. Shit, maybe switch him and Soriano.

Like I stated when the Cubs got Pena, I see him hitting like .210 and hitting 30+ Homeruns. I really didn't like the pick up, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

We'll have to see how Cashner does as the 5th starter, but other than that, the rotation is solid, hopefully Zambrano can focus and get back to his earlier form. I like Wood being back as the set-up guy. And Marmol is filthy, plain and simple.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Ya good game. Cubs don't just give up when they get down anymore. The youngstas Castro and Barney don't stop gettin on base. That was dumb when they let dumpster bat with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 5th