POST/READ ALL SOUTHERN ARTIST INTERVIEWS HERE!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM

WordofSouth.com: So what has been going on with you these days?

B.G.: Shit man grindin’, doing what I do best ya heard me? I’m workin’.

WordofSouth.com: You got sales for the new album around 150K. Do you plan to shoot a new video to push those sales higher?

B.G.: Yeah, I’m a shoot one more video. I probably do the remix to “Move Around” with Juve (Juvenile) and (Mannie) Fresh. I might do one more single to push it a little bit up. I’m bout to get into this Atlantic situation, so you know I’m coming right back out at the end of the year around Christmas time.

WordofSouth.com: You signed the deal with Atlantic. What was your deciding factor in joining with them?

B.G.: At the end of the day, I wanted to make the decision that was best for me and my label to go to. Truly that was my whole independent grind was to branch out and set myself up to go back to a major. A lot of people didn’t think that I could do it on my own without Cash Money. I started Chopper City and I let it be known that B.G. helped build them. My last four years of my career was basically to set myself up for what I just did.

WordofSouth.com: You had a lot of haters saying that you wouldn’t be able to make it on your own, but now you are back with a major. How do you feel about that?

B.G.: I feel good about it, I feel damn good. I know I can get dough. I bust my ass and worked hard for them, so I am gonna bust my ass even harder and work for my damn self.

WordofSouth.com: How does T.I. play into this? I heard that he was going to be the executive producer.

B.G.: Yeah T.I., that’s my nigga, we about to merge Grand Hustle and Chopper City like Sprint and Nextel did. T.I. doing his thing holding it down, king of the south, and I’m doing my thing, the heart of the streets. I’m a T.I. fan, T.I. a B.G. fan, and we work well together. Ya done heard some of the songs on his albums, the song on my album, and real niggas recognize real niggas and real niggas respect real niggas. I respect everything that he is doing with Grand Hustle and he respect everything that I am doing with Chopper City, so we just came together with no egos and negativity.

WordofSouth.com: Do we expect more B.G. and T.I. music together in the future?

B.G.: Oh most definitely, you may even get an album.

WordofSouth.com: Let’s talk a little bit about the Chopper City roster. What are your plans for the Chopper City Boys, when do you plan to release their album?

B.G.: I got their album coming up this summer and my plan for them is to really set them up how the Hot Boy$ was setup. “B.G. Presents the Chopper City Boys,” and they are my little brother Hakim, Gar, Snipe(r), and V.L. Mike. All four of them go hard and my plan for them is to really take the streets by storm. I’m more than confident and more than sure that they can hold their own, so I’m just about to let them set ‘em up and let ‘em loose.

WordofSouth.com: Have you signed any new artists recently?

B.G.: I just signed an R&B cat named K'Jon from Detroit, and I got a couple more people that I am looking at. I ain’t trying to do too much at one time, I’m trying to get everyone I got out first before I sign some more acts. Right now, I got my plate full, so I’m gonna get the ball rolling with what I got now.

WordofSouth.com: What made you sign K'Jon?

B.G.: Man, the muthafuckin’ nigga hot, man! The nigga can blow. He sound the same way when he perform live with a mic than when he sound in the studio. That won me over and he’s hungry.

WordofSouth.com: Do you plan to organize a production team?

B.G.: You already know, that’s in the making right now. We got Chopper City Music and I’m putting a whole production team together. I got a lot of hot upcoming producers that I’m looking at. My old albums, I got a lot of new producers on there. I wasn’t looking to buy no names for production, I wasn’t looking for hits. You got niggas in the basement, ya know, that might charge $500 a track who sound just as good as someone charging $50,000 a track. That’s what I’m looking for, them young niggas that just pour they heart out and put out that heat.

WordofSouth.com: When do you plan on releasing that “Life After Cash Money” DVD?

B.G.: I got the DVD coming out. I was going to put it out with the last album, but I just keep adding more and more footage. It’s like a mini movie right now, at about an hour and a half. When you see it you gonna keep rewinding and rewinding and you gonna watch that bitch about two or three times in a row. That thing real and I wanna put it out right because it’s telling a story. I gave you “Life After Cash Money” the album and I guess the audio wasn’t enough, so I’m a have to give you the visual.

WordofSouth.com: People are still wondering if that B.G. and Soulja Slim album will ever be released. Any updates on that?

B.G.: Yep, me and Slim mama always talk about that. I ain’t just want to put this out, I wanted to make sure the situation was right. Now with me having that Atlantic machine behind me, that could be an outlet to run it through.

WordofSouth.com: Out of all the albums you've dropped, which are you the most proud of?

B.G.: I feel like “Life After Cash Money” was the best-put together album. I feel if I would have put this album out on a major, I think I would have sold three or four million records. I had five singles on that album, at least five singles. That album was well put together and I put a lot into that album.

WordofSouth.com: Turk was sentenced to 12 years last month. What were you feeling when you heard that news?

B.G.: When I heard about that I couldn’t believe it, cause I was under that impression that it was gonna go another route. I had upped some money and got him a new attorney. Fresh also upped some money to get him a new attorney. When I heard about that, it kind of fucked me up. I haven’t talked to Turk since the sentencing and I usually talk to Turk three or four times a week.

WordofSouth.com: The south is huge right now, do you feel at all that you should be recognized more for the part you have taken in that rise?

B.G.: Muthafuckas know! As long a nigga respect me as a man, it’s all good. Everyone’s always gonna know the role I played with Cash Money. I ain’t trippin’ and I feel good about the whole movement and the south as a whole period. Muthafuckas like Rap-A-Lot, Scarface, and UGK paved the way for us.

WordofSouth.com: Do you plan to make a bigger impact this second go round with a major?

B.G.: Watch me.

spv

Sicc OG
Feb 19, 2006
A interview of Mr Sche with memphisrap.com

New album May 29 www.mrsche.net to pick it up..

Al Kapone & Mr.Sche

Mr Sche & Al Kapone

Mr. Sche - Asks Whatcha In The Game For, If All You Do Is Mixtapes?

MemphisRap.com: Whassup with the "Not A Mix Tape A Pimptape"?
Mr Sche: Imma Pimp. And by that I mean I pimp my everyday way of living from everything dealing with women, music, money and to just sitting down wiping my ass after a good shit. Its not a mixtape because I don’t do mixtapes. I'm a producer. I make my own tracks.

MemphisRap.com: I'm not too fond of mixtapes, they don't seem to be about good songs or talent just about exposure? What's your take on them?

Mr Sche: Mane Im just so sick of the game, Ill do anything now just to rebel and be the odd ball on the scene. The industry has this cloak of darkness that’s set on everyone to make individuals believe you have to be “ This Way “ to be successful. Its like some invasion from Mars typa shit. If you don’t submit to there way of operation, you are burdened to believe “ You Wont Make It “.In other words, to me mixtapes are bullshit. That’s my opinion and its like an asshole, “Everyone has one “. So for those reading this and you got a mixtape out don’t be offended. Its something for you and not me, so if it works for you do your thang. Im a “Producer “. I make and sell beats to the underground and mainstream. What the fuck I look like coming out rapping over other nigga’s beats trying to get some more exposure? Ill leave that to “ Rapper Niggas“ cause I aint no “Rapper “. I hate rappers. Im a business man that happens to have skills for making tracks and lacing vocals over hot beats. If I was “Just A Rapper “ I'd be a broke muthafucka and part of the statistics of rappers eventually reaching the age of 40 “Still tring to get a record deal “. Naw not me. I’d rather make an original song,…”Im selfish like that“. I want to shine my own beats and my own lyrics. What’s the point of submitting to the game when you just gone end up where you started from in the first place? When Im in the streets, niggas always coming up to me, “ Dog I got a new album, 10 dollars “. Im like nigga I don’t want no gadamn mixtape… sell me a real album. Its 100,000 niggas coming out this year with CD’s and over half of them gone be a gadamn mixtape. For a new nigga just getting in the game, well first of all my advice is to leave this shit alone and keep your “daytime” job, but if you insist,... I think mixtapes are good once. Everyone can't afford beats from the hottest producers “such as myself “…so you need something to get started… But for the record.. I make my beats affordable for everyone. I work with artists and not try to bust they head with outrageous prices. But for these niggas that’s been in the game “ Forever “, Still Dropping Mixtapes…. Shame On You. Its bad enough the industry putting out this mainstream trash daily, and here yo ass is running up behind them rapping over the same recycled beats. But shit… some mixtapes I done heard out do a nigga real album, hahaha.. mane its just crazy out here. The Rap Game Ain't Shit….and Imma leave it at that.

MemphisRap.com: Real talk. So who's all featured on the "Street EP PimpTape" ?

Mr Sche: I got a lot of features.. of course the main feature would be Lil Jon. Then there’s Ludacris, Green Latern, Fatman Scoup. T.I., Al Kapone, and a bunch of other cats I fuck with.

MemphisRap.com: You got more mixtapes too don't you, cause you got like a shit load of releases on your site?

Mr Sche: A Shit load of Underground CD’s, but not one of mines is a mixtape. All my shit is original back to 1992 all the way up to now.. so for the readers if you don’t have the first edition Mr.Sche & Immortal Lowlife Cd’s from my teenager days you can pick up everything I done dropped to this day at my website.. www.mrsche.net.

MemphisRap.com: Many folks don't know you like a vet in this shit, like Al Kapone, Gangsta Pat nem and shit, tell us bout that.

Mr Sche: Although I’m younger than these cats, I was around when they was just cranking up back in the day. Those 2 were actually 2 of my favorite underground rappers and I managed to be able to work with most of my childhood icons that I grew up listening to. I started at a real young age in music. I was doing this shit back when Curtis Blow, The Beastie Boys, and Run Dmc was hot. Back when East Coast music was all we had to listen to, like Das Efx, KRS One, MC Lyte, Special Ed, Eric B & Rakim The first Memphis rapper I really got into was Spanish Fly…. I still be jamming “Smokin Onion & Rollin In My Cadillac “..lol …that was the shit. I consider myself a VET. I been here a long time, kina weaving through the game. You’d see me in places you wouldn’t expect, like on a 8 Ball Cd, a Z-Ro Cd, an Al Kapone CD, a Memphis in May Concert Stage, Overseas in Europe on stage… and many more places. I been getting around… I aint no rookie at all.

MemphisRap.com: Al Kapone and yourself are tite, right? How did you two end up hooking up?

Mr Sche: Me and Kapone first met when Dulaa, another Memphis rapper, brought Kapone to my studio to feature on one of his songs that I produced for him. I was excited cause I was a teenager jammin’ this cat and now he coming to “ my studio “ to record? Mane that was like a dream to me. I really looked up to this man. I use to watch him all the time on UGTV. Many people may have didn’t feel the same as I did about him but I turned from Producer & Artist to a straight up groupie that night I met him. I was just happy to finally meet the mane and here he is rapping on one of my beats at my studio! After that we started doing shows together and I asked him about getting on one of my songs and he was like its not a problem

So Kapone eventually started recording at my spot on some of his own projects and we eventually just ended up doing songs together and all of a sudden we had an album full of head banging songs which we released last March 2005, Al Kapone/Mr.Sche “Showdown”. Al a good nigga and he always thinking of others and to me he deserve way more credit than he gets. He remind me of myself because he always going out of his way to satisfy others even though his current situation may not be at 100%. To me that’s what a real G is supposed to be made of. We are currently in the process of releasing several more projects as well, such as Dark Buck and Crunk, which is my new underground DVD movie, Showdown Reloaded, and my new Cd, Mr.Sche/Immortal Lowlife “ Its Goin Down “, all expected to release early summer 2006. The DVD will drop May 29th 2006.

MemphisRap.com: Speaking of the new Showdown Reloaded coming soon, what's gonna be different about this album than any of the other ones?

Mr Sche: Ill be honest, Showdown Reloaded are the songs that Didn't Make the first Showdown. It wasn’t that they weren’t hot, but they just didn’t fit the line up for Showdown. Showdown was straight up gangsta shit… and Reloaded has more of the Pimp and Club songs we didn’t use, with a combination of street shit.. its a definite Go Getter. Pick it up.

MemphisRap.com: Do you ever get told that Project Pat and yourself sound similar?

Mr Sche: I get told I sound better.

MemphisRap.com: What's your response?

Mr Sche: It’s a Memphis style and it just proves Im a veteran to the early days of rapping in Memphis. The styles are going to sound similar , especially when you're from the same recipe that started the style. But I think we differ a lot.. our voices sound alike in tones more so than the actual style of rapping. But its unconscious….. nor do I try to sound like him or want to be him. If you are a true Mr.Sche listener, you know that each song I do Im always coming on an in-direct style. I might be flowing like an East Coast rapper on one song, a South nigga on another song, then the next song you might here a nigga singing on the hooks and you thinking its R.Kelly. Im just versatile because I listen to so much music…. many styles and cultures from Rap, Rock and R & B.

MemphisRap.com: The new DVD "Dark Buck and Crunk" what's the whole scenario for it?

Mr Sche: It’s an underground documentary movie reflecting a brief part in my everyday life as a Memphis producer, artist and business man. It starts off with me and Al Kapone just kicking it and drinking and getting fucked up because that’s something we both enjoy doing right before our show at Memphis in May. We got behind the scene studio sessions, how we sit down and create songs and concepts, smoke sessions, freestyle sessions and just some real niggaville highlights. Its some street shit. Several cameo’s from cats like Dj Squeeky, Young Kee, Tomskee Mask all at my studio just hanging around. Its my connection to the streets, the underground, business and other artists. It also showcases my tour to Paris France and the shows we did there. Also features all of my videos and it also comes with a CD “ We All We Got “ that features all new songs with artists such as Al Kapone, Indo G, M-Child, Nasty Nardo, Tomskee Mask, Skinny Pimp and others… It’s a Memphis Project.. My guys at Junkadelic are to thx for the arrangement and release of this project..

MemphisRap.com: When is it suppose to be available?

Mr Sche: May 29th 2006.

MemphisRap.com: You know you got to get one our way so we can critique it. LOL

Mr Sche: Most Def.

MemphisRap.com: Tell me about Immortal and Junkadelic.

Mr Sche: We met online, and kinda like me and Al Kapone, we both had the same dreams and background in a sense. I think that people with the same social scale gets along the best… meaning married niggas with kids usually get along better with other married niggas with kids because we have the same eye frame on how to go about doing things… and Nator from Junkadelic is one of those guys that I feel is more of a friend than business partner, such as Al Kapone. But in saying that I will get off subject for one moment… and in saying the word friend, these cats do other things outside of business that makes them friends. Say like Kapone. I read some of the interviews he does.. and Kapone lately has had some major exposure and he mentions my name when he can and gives me credit and props on what I do and have done for him. Now its other niggas I fuck with now, that I have given beats to and done a lot of shit for, and don’t mention my name one damn time in they interviews. They get asked who is featured on the album or who produced tracks… I don't see my name 1 time. And niggas wonder why I don’t fuck with them. I take insult to that because I have did more than gave them tracks.

MemphisRap.com: Ok, regarding touring in Paris, France and London. How did all that come about?

Mr Sche: It was great mane. The scene over there is no different from here, and we have a huge following in Europe. We will be going back and forth this year for more shows… and Ill be catching more jetlag…LOL. But the crowds loved us. They were excited to see us.

MemphisRap.com: Actually how many are in the Immortal clique and who are the other members?

Mr Sche: Currently it’s a bunch of us… but everyone doesn’t rap. We all have our duties, whether its promotimg or taking out a busta… so don’t get wrong cause Ill do you and I aint playing. The current artists are myself, Big Sche, Pimpminista, BlueBoi, 12 Gage X, Gold-E, Quicksta, Insane Mane, K.T., Psycolistic, Blaune, Royal T. and Pimp Dre.

MemphisRap.com: What's everyone's role?

Mr Sche: Making our business a successful one. We run a studio, offer outside promotion, press CDs/DVDs, CD Artwork, Websites, Video Editing/Filming, Tracks, Mixing and Mastering. I hustle for mines and we combine all our resourses to make money. Cause its hard to sell a CD nowadays… and make a living soley off that when you're independent and underground. Some of the girls strip, some of the niggas swang, some of the niggas bang, and some of the niggas just around to blow somebody head off for gettin’ wrong. This shit is beyond music with us. The only time you gone see us in a club is if we on stage or promoting. Other wise we aint fucking off. We out here in this hell hole called Earth fighting against the odds truly surviving and making moves. I m not a teenager anymore so aint shit a club can do for me just to be hanging out. A true Gangster’s way is to be productive and not on a dance floor starting fights and showing off gang signs. My niggas on the computer sending emails, passing out flyers, posting on message boards, writing lyrics and recording, splitting bills, taking care of each other when someone get in a trench, staying focused during droughts and saving money for when times get harder. If you can't band together as a family and take care of life, then business will not be successful. And that’s why most groups never make it anywhere. I’ve learned that and was forced to be a leader, and took the job proudly.

MemphisRap.com: You guys are actually the first local rap group to tour out there, right?

Mr Sche: Yes.

MemphisRap.com: Who told you that or did you just make that up yourself, what statistics do you have? LOL

Mr Sche: The promoters who flew us in told us. We would have no way of knowing that unless it was informed to us. I made close to $6000 for 2 shows… hell I barly see $500 a show here in the states. The only other artist to go to Paris was Master P, and Snoop went to Amsterdam once. So yes, we made history.

MemphisRap.com: What is one thing you learned while being out of the country?

Mr Sche: That I hate flying such long distances, but it was a wonderful experience and I’m anxious to return. Its really the same hustle over there… nothing is easier there because its overseas, actually Id say its harder.. but we’ve managed to break the ice. But the one thing I did learn is that people are the same... no matter where you go. I did meet a lot of Africans that were really excited to see me..I was like a showcase item to them… lol… they were just astounded to meet a black American as if they have never seen one in person….

MemphisRap.com: Let's talk briefly about your career.. as far as being a producer and a rapper which one do you like better?

Mr Sche: That is a very good question. Hmmm….. I really don’t know.. I haven’t thought about it much. To me its all work… and I don’t like work period… lol.. But I'm not scared of work. I'll hustle and be up for days at a time, getting 2 and 3 hours of sleep here and there. Since my recent exposure I’ve been getting more and more feature request jobs for verses on songs…. and writing 16 bars ain't as easy as it use to be when you have so much to do now in a days time. I've always sold a lot of beats and really that hasn’t slowed down since my early days of making beats. I get cats from all over the globe and locally that I produce for buying beats, paying for mixing and mastering and verses.

MemphisRap.com: Are you 'straight up' honest with a person when they shit ain't bumpin or do you let'em off lightly? I mean do you give it to them raw or what?

Mr Sche: I tell them the truth but I always try to be sincere about it. I don’t enjoy crushing someones dream or making them feel bad. I'll tell them what to do to get better, and to not take my words as discouragement. Believe me I record a lot of local and major cats and they all ask for opinions during the sessions. I have to watch what I say because Im starting to see that a lot of people really look up to me, young and old and I have to be that Role Model Of Trust.

MemphisRap.com: If you could sum your whole entire career up in 5 words or less, what would you say?

Mr Sche: Lord Give Me A Break. ……. but life is good. I have a lot to be thankful for. I recorded niggas I didn’t know for years out my home with my family. Gang niggas, drug dealers, thieves and crack fiends all came to my house to record, buy beats and get services from me. I was blessed to have never had problems with anyone and to eventually buy a mansion out in the East and move my family out the hood. Problems are everywhere but at least I can deal with people better now at a neutral spot without the fear of my wife and children getting involved in some drama resulting from possible bad business. I just turned my old home into a full studio, so niggas still know how to find me. The money came, but I'm still not happy. I thought I would be once I didn’t have to worry about paying my light and rent bills. I still feel empty at times…. I don’t know…. thats another story.

MemphisRap.com: Out of all the tracks you have produced and the raps that you have rapped what would be your favorite pick?

Mr Sche: Always the spiritual tracks. People always say I have another calling on my life and that I could be preacher material I suppose. I don’t know.. who’s to say what Ill do the closer I get to 30. I do know I m not happy here and that’s just because I'm having a hard time finding some spiritual truth to believe in. I’ve been looking for God all my life… and the spiritual songs are my expression that reaches out for knowledge from this darkness.

MemphisRap.com: On that note, is there anything you'd like to add before we come to an end.

Mr Sche: Business as usual :
The artist and producer who produced and featured on Suave House, 8 Ball's lay It Down, Al Kapone/Mr. Sche Showdown, and was involved in the making of Hustle & Flow 1 of the Hottest M-Town Producers!! Mr.Sche Ceo Immortal Productions for the hottest tracks!! P.O.Box 172046, Memphis, Tn 38187, www.mrsche.net, 901-864-2487.. or 901-324-6730.

MemphisRap.com: Once again dawg, we appreciate you taking the time out with us and we'll be doing this again soon.

Mr Sche: No doubt.. thank you.

http://www.memphisrap.com/community/interview.php?op=interviewalbumreview&id=19

spv

Sicc OG
Feb 19, 2006
Playa Fly interview from 2004 when Fly was out of jail for a couple months

A legend of the underground. How many artist would love to have the word legend associated with their name. So many of them have faded with those thoughts like wind of yesterday. Then again, there are some that are so deeply rooted in our minds and hearts because of the truths in the words they spoke, we’ve become fans. With a legion of fans, Playa Fly, with the rawness and love he shows, has rooted himself in the hearts and minds of many music listeners and the southern rap game as a true underground legend. The man that Mrs. Minnie Mae raised, and the son Billie Chill made. We give you Playa Fly....In his own words.

Np: whats been going on with you Playa Fly ?

Pf : hanging lo, chief-in high. Np: the rumor out was that you had a incarceration problem awhile ago. Speak on that ?

Pf : Nah, that was mistaken. I didn't have an incarceration problem. Ya know ? I have been incarcerated, don't get me wrong, but I didn't have an incarceration problem.

Np: What was the reason why you where away from the music scene for so long. There was a large gap of time from when fly2k was out, until now. Why was that ?

Pf : Well as you know, Playa Fly has never been the artist to release multiple albums during the year or over a short period time. I never been the Master P type. Ya know ? like back when P was hot and releasing albums like crazy, there was a lot of groups that came out just releasing albums back to back and I just don't do that. I feel that the music I make usually last for a long period and I hope it last till the ends of time. With that being said, I never really been big on multiple releases. I try to make longevity music. Reality music. Ya know ? Not that here for the moment music. I feel like thats the reason why they release so many albums back to back. Because they just make music for the minute and not for the whole 24hrs -365 days. Ya feel me ? When I write, I write to bump and take the pain out. So not only can I release, you can release,she can release,yall can release on life. This ain't that just for now, get buck in the club shit.

Np : For your old and new fans that haven't been exposed to you yet, will you take it up a notch for them ?

PF: yeah! I have to. GOD has taken me up another notch every year, he has ex - posed me to more wisdom and knowledge. Experiences good and bad. Some I think are better than others. Some I think are worse than others. Ya know ? I learn. I'm never to old to learn. So I have to take it up 10 notches . Hell ah 100,000 notches. They ain't ready for the wattage I'm going to put out. Np: As far a your label situation , are you still with Super Sigg Records ?

Pf : No I'm not. I am the proud owner of my own label, MINNIE MAE MUZIK. It's named after my grandmother, Mrs. Minnie Mae. Its not minute maid, like the fruit juice or minute made, like made in a minute. Its nothing like that. Its Minnie Mae Muzik. Minnie Mae Mafia all day .

Np:Do you have anything at the table with any majors right now ?

Pf : Everybody interested, they been interested. I've turn down money that these niggas getting today on these deals - back in 98 when "Nobody" first dropped. Because I was always like..... I rather be independent and do my thing like that. Because I like that right now money. I don't wanna be worked like a slave and then get a dime out of a dollar. I rather get out here and struggle and strive for mine and take the 4oz or the 8oz steak. Which ever one comes to my plate.

Np: Do you have any new projects in the works and what about artists on your label ?

Pf : The first album to be released on the label is going to be my new album "Mafia All Day." Thats the album we're working on now. And it's just about finished. The artists on the label are Buck Wild, Minnie Mae Mafia, the group - Thaistik, and Stone Kold (SK for short). All of these artist will be releasing projects through Minnie Mae Muzik. if it's GODS will, we gonna turn it out.

Np: Whats the release day on that album ?

Pf : sometime during the month May or middle summer.

NP : What made you go independent, with all the success of your other album releases on the other label ?

Pf: It's like I scanned a lot of units, and sold a lot of units, and I've been independent my whole career. I like that money. I'm the kat that wants the fortune not the fame. Ya know ? I'm not big on that performing at the super bowl type stuff. As long as at the end of the day, I can sell records and make great music, I feel I can do it independently. Because I know how to sell and make great music. I've been looking over the scene and selling records the last 8-10 yrs , I would like to have the whole picture to myself and maybe when we sell so many units independently, maybe a major might become interested and want to pick the phone up and explore us a little harder. If they don't, I'll just keep on beatin up these streets until blood come out these joints. And sell every record that I can. Whether its out the trunk or off the shelf. It doesn't make me a difference.

Np: We haven't had the chance to hear you on a lot of new music lately, until the Gangsta Boo collaboration (Sippin & Spinnin' ). How did that come about ?

Pf : I know everybody know my history with her and her associates, or former associates or whatever and me. It’s like everything I said in the past is me 150%. Ya know ? When I came home, I bumped heads with her, and one thing led to another. We had a little freestyle session in the studio for a mix tape, and she did the remix with Bun B and ask me to jump on that joint. So I did it. It wasn't a big deal. Just making music. it's Mafia all day. Crazy Lady Entertainment, its cool. She's a cool person when she wants to be.

Np: Will there be any collaboration with you and Triple-Six Mafia ? And have ya'll had the chance to mend yall differences ?

Pf: Well you know, it's like this. I've always been a kat that call a spade a spade - when I see it. If I said something, I meant it. But, I haven't seen those kats in awhile. I wouldn't mind bumpin off of one or two of Paul's beats. I can say that for the record. But as far as me knocking on there door to get a feature on their album, that ain't gonna happen or them knocking on my door for a feature on my album. That won't happen. I can see me and Paul (DJ Paul) bumpin heads in public somewhere and just kick it. And one thing leads to another. I think some positive shit like that will happen by the grace of GOD.

Np: Are there any major artist you want to work with or have featured on your album ?

Pf: Nah, I'm really not big on the feature thing. Because when the record is successful, I don't want anybody to say that if it wasn't for that person, then that record wouldn't have been successful. Other than that, I would like to work with Troy.

Np: In your absence, there was a rumor about an album called Jericho, with you and Pastor Troy. Is that true?

PF: This album was supposed to come to pass before my absence, but during my absence, Troy started to do his thing with Universal. Since I came home, I've been trying to do my own thing. So I'm quit sure that it's still gonna take place. I'm not gonna be the one that’s gonna say that it won't. I will be the one to say that I will do everything in my power to make it happen. I'm quit sure Troy is willing to make it happen, its just right now we're doing our thing, we both have different obligations to attend to. But as soon as the smoke clears, the walls will be breakin’ down for Jericho.

NP : What do u think of the Memphis scene, the whole Southern scene now, and the new young artists coming out ? Being that your one of the pioneers of the whole Memphis scene that laid the ground work for the Atl crunk music.

Pf: They're gonna need all the help that they can get. Because I'm not playing. I'm very serious. I wasn't as serious then, as I am now. Know what I'm saying ? Because I'm having birthdays. I ain't getting no younger. With that being said, everything I do will be great and ain't nobody fucking with me on this.

NP: Do you see yourself fitting in with this whole crunk era ?

Pf:I'm going to keep it me. Fly got buck in the past. Fly has spoken and taught. He has delivered the message. Ya know ? Fly is an all around playa. I'm gonna keep it pure, uncut, and raw . I will get a nigga buck. At the same time, show some love and keep real. You know what time it is.

NP: A living Southern underground legend. That’s all we have to say. Much success to Fly and family.

spv

Sicc OG
Feb 19, 2006
Playa Fly interview from 2004 when Fly was out of jail for a couple months

A legend of the underground. How many artist would love to have the word legend associated with their name. So many of them have faded with those thoughts like wind of yesterday. Then again, there are some that are so deeply rooted in our minds and hearts because of the truths in the words they spoke, we’ve become fans. With a legion of fans, Playa Fly, with the rawness and love he shows, has rooted himself in the hearts and minds of many music listeners and the southern rap game as a true underground legend. The man that Mrs. Minnie Mae raised, and the son Billie Chill made. We give you Playa Fly....In his own words.

Np: whats been going on with you Playa Fly ?

Pf : hanging lo, chief-in high. Np: the rumor out was that you had a incarceration problem awhile ago. Speak on that ?

Pf : Nah, that was mistaken. I didn't have an incarceration problem. Ya know ? I have been incarcerated, don't get me wrong, but I didn't have an incarceration problem.

Np: What was the reason why you where away from the music scene for so long. There was a large gap of time from when fly2k was out, until now. Why was that ?

Pf : Well as you know, Playa Fly has never been the artist to release multiple albums during the year or over a short period time. I never been the Master P type. Ya know ? like back when P was hot and releasing albums like crazy, there was a lot of groups that came out just releasing albums back to back and I just don't do that. I feel that the music I make usually last for a long period and I hope it last till the ends of time. With that being said, I never really been big on multiple releases. I try to make longevity music. Reality music. Ya know ? Not that here for the moment music. I feel like thats the reason why they release so many albums back to back. Because they just make music for the minute and not for the whole 24hrs -365 days. Ya feel me ? When I write, I write to bump and take the pain out. So not only can I release, you can release,she can release,yall can release on life. This ain't that just for now, get buck in the club shit.

Np : For your old and new fans that haven't been exposed to you yet, will you take it up a notch for them ?

PF: yeah! I have to. GOD has taken me up another notch every year, he has ex - posed me to more wisdom and knowledge. Experiences good and bad. Some I think are better than others. Some I think are worse than others. Ya know ? I learn. I'm never to old to learn. So I have to take it up 10 notches . Hell ah 100,000 notches. They ain't ready for the wattage I'm going to put out. Np: As far a your label situation , are you still with Super Sigg Records ?

Pf : No I'm not. I am the proud owner of my own label, MINNIE MAE MUZIK. It's named after my grandmother, Mrs. Minnie Mae. Its not minute maid, like the fruit juice or minute made, like made in a minute. Its nothing like that. Its Minnie Mae Muzik. Minnie Mae Mafia all day .

Np:Do you have anything at the table with any majors right now ?

Pf : Everybody interested, they been interested. I've turn down money that these niggas getting today on these deals - back in 98 when "Nobody" first dropped. Because I was always like..... I rather be independent and do my thing like that. Because I like that right now money. I don't wanna be worked like a slave and then get a dime out of a dollar. I rather get out here and struggle and strive for mine and take the 4oz or the 8oz steak. Which ever one comes to my plate.

Np: Do you have any new projects in the works and what about artists on your label ?

Pf : The first album to be released on the label is going to be my new album "Mafia All Day." Thats the album we're working on now. And it's just about finished. The artists on the label are Buck Wild, Minnie Mae Mafia, the group - Thaistik, and Stone Kold (SK for short). All of these artist will be releasing projects through Minnie Mae Muzik. if it's GODS will, we gonna turn it out.

Np: Whats the release day on that album ?

Pf : sometime during the month May or middle summer.

NP : What made you go independent, with all the success of your other album releases on the other label ?

Pf: It's like I scanned a lot of units, and sold a lot of units, and I've been independent my whole career. I like that money. I'm the kat that wants the fortune not the fame. Ya know ? I'm not big on that performing at the super bowl type stuff. As long as at the end of the day, I can sell records and make great music, I feel I can do it independently. Because I know how to sell and make great music. I've been looking over the scene and selling records the last 8-10 yrs , I would like to have the whole picture to myself and maybe when we sell so many units independently, maybe a major might become interested and want to pick the phone up and explore us a little harder. If they don't, I'll just keep on beatin up these streets until blood come out these joints. And sell every record that I can. Whether its out the trunk or off the shelf. It doesn't make me a difference.

Np: We haven't had the chance to hear you on a lot of new music lately, until the Gangsta Boo collaboration (Sippin & Spinnin' ). How did that come about ?

Pf : I know everybody know my history with her and her associates, or former associates or whatever and me. It’s like everything I said in the past is me 150%. Ya know ? When I came home, I bumped heads with her, and one thing led to another. We had a little freestyle session in the studio for a mix tape, and she did the remix with Bun B and ask me to jump on that joint. So I did it. It wasn't a big deal. Just making music. it's Mafia all day. Crazy Lady Entertainment, its cool. She's a cool person when she wants to be.

Np: Will there be any collaboration with you and Triple-Six Mafia ? And have ya'll had the chance to mend yall differences ?

Pf: Well you know, it's like this. I've always been a kat that call a spade a spade - when I see it. If I said something, I meant it. But, I haven't seen those kats in awhile. I wouldn't mind bumpin off of one or two of Paul's beats. I can say that for the record. But as far as me knocking on there door to get a feature on their album, that ain't gonna happen or them knocking on my door for a feature on my album. That won't happen. I can see me and Paul (DJ Paul) bumpin heads in public somewhere and just kick it. And one thing leads to another. I think some positive shit like that will happen by the grace of GOD.

Np: Are there any major artist you want to work with or have featured on your album ?

Pf: Nah, I'm really not big on the feature thing. Because when the record is successful, I don't want anybody to say that if it wasn't for that person, then that record wouldn't have been successful. Other than that, I would like to work with Troy.

Np: In your absence, there was a rumor about an album called Jericho, with you and Pastor Troy. Is that true?

PF: This album was supposed to come to pass before my absence, but during my absence, Troy started to do his thing with Universal. Since I came home, I've been trying to do my own thing. So I'm quit sure that it's still gonna take place. I'm not gonna be the one that’s gonna say that it won't. I will be the one to say that I will do everything in my power to make it happen. I'm quit sure Troy is willing to make it happen, its just right now we're doing our thing, we both have different obligations to attend to. But as soon as the smoke clears, the walls will be breakin’ down for Jericho.

NP : What do u think of the Memphis scene, the whole Southern scene now, and the new young artists coming out ? Being that your one of the pioneers of the whole Memphis scene that laid the ground work for the Atl crunk music.

Pf: They're gonna need all the help that they can get. Because I'm not playing. I'm very serious. I wasn't as serious then, as I am now. Know what I'm saying ? Because I'm having birthdays. I ain't getting no younger. With that being said, everything I do will be great and ain't nobody fucking with me on this.

NP: Do you see yourself fitting in with this whole crunk era ?

Pf:I'm going to keep it me. Fly got buck in the past. Fly has spoken and taught. He has delivered the message. Ya know ? Fly is an all around playa. I'm gonna keep it pure, uncut, and raw . I will get a nigga buck. At the same time, show some love and keep real. You know what time it is.

NP: A living Southern underground legend. That’s all we have to say. Much success to Fly and family.

Feb 23, 2003
B one Crusher had the world on his side just three years ago. His hit, “Never Scared” was a major muscle in moving Crunk from the clubs to the country club dance-floors. However, as his peers caked up on bigger deals, stronger marketing, and endorsements, Bone Crusher was lost in the Arista merger with Jive. In the three years since, Bone Crusher survived by way of album appearances with Chamillionaire and Young Jeezy, and a love of food.

Today Bone Crusher is beefing up his buzz and trimming the pounds. Like Bizarre and Biz Markie before him, Bone will be appearing in the new season of VH1’s Celebrity Fit Club. To benefit from the surge of watchers, 845 Entertainment will drop Release the Beast through the help of Roy Jones’ BodyHead Entertainment. Will the former frontman of Lyrical Giants get a career turnaround like David Banner, or is a more chiseled Bone Crusher going to use his frame to further the acting he jumped off in ATL? Going into the inevitable answer to that question, he’s still not scared.

AllHipHop.com: It’s been three years since your debut. What’s been going on since that time?

Bone Crusher: Man, It’s just been a lot of work, lots of s**t… lot of stuff that I had no control over. But now, we’re free, and the album is out July 18. I’ve been recording a lot man. I have like five albums.

AllHipHop.com: You’re free from what exactly?

Bone Crusher: The [merger] with Arista [to Jive] really f**ked a lot of people up. The Clipse got caught up in that whole thing, The Youngbloodz too.

AllHipHop.com: So is that why you’re not with So So Def anymore?

Bone Crusher: That’s exactly what it is. The whole thing was all because of what happened with Arista. J-Kwon too, you see he ain’t put nothing out in a while either. We were all in the same situation. Jive didn’t know any of us then, and they definitely don’t know now. So it was a bad deal all the way around.

AllHipHop.com: So you hooked up with Roy Jones & his BodyHead Entertainment. How did that connection come about?

Bone Crusher: My label, Van-glorious Entertainment, it’s a joint venture. I’m not signed to anybody, it’s my own company. We did a 50/50 deal.

AllHipHop.com: Is this just like a one album thing, or do you see it being permanent?

Bone Crusher: Right now, it’s one album, but it’s good. We’ll see how things go. You know, it depends on how things come out with this one album.

AllHipHop.com: So with your label, do you have a team of artists arranged already?

Bone Crusher: Oh yes, definitely. Young Twenty, they got a single called “Feeling Me.” They’re [coming out] right after me.

AllHipHop.com: So starting a label, would you say that was always something you wanted to do?

Bone Crusher: I mean, it was more of a means to an end. In this industry, so many people don’t last, and the only way to have longevity is for you to really know what’s going on behind the scenes with your career. It’s good to have more of a say-so in everything that goes on. My wife and I did the Van-Glorious Entertainment together.

AllHipHop.com: What was it that made you confident that Jones’ label was a perfect match for yourself?

Bone Crusher: You know, at the time, I was introduced to Roy Jones through my wife. She knew an affiliate of Jones and 845 Entertainment. So through that connection, everything came together. He had nationwide distribution, and nationwide distribution is definitely the way to go. That way, I’m in Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and so forth. The first single, it sounds like [Bone Crusher’s 2003 hit] “Never Scared,” and everybody is loving it for that reason.

AllHipHop.com: So is Release the Best copying AttenCHUN! that closely?

Bone Crusher: You already know. They can expect the same vibe from the last album. The first single is “Southern Gorillas,” and it ain’t nothin’ else after that.

AllHipHop.com: In what way have you been “released,” or how does the album title apply to you as an artist?

Bone Crusher: Hell, releasing me from the f**ked up labels. [laughs]

AllHipHop.com: Now I know you were big on cooking before you got with So So Def and did the first album…

Bone Crusher: Right…

AllHipHop.com: And now we see you’re doing Celebrity Fit Club 4. Obviously, your primary reason for getting involved is weight loss, but what else made you want to be a part of the show and challenge?

Bone Crusher: Besides me losing some weight, it was just another avenue for promotion, and a lot of stuff will come along with it.

AllHipHop.com: What’s your weight goal as a whole? How much do you figure you want to lose?

Bone Crusher: Well, I’ve already lost 30 pounds so far. Maybe another 70 pounds, and I’ll be good.

AllHipHop.com: Man, I can honestly commend you for it, because it’s hard as hell losing weight.

Bone Crusher: Yeah, it’s definitely hard. But this diet they have us on for Fit Club, it’s actually really good. You can easily lose 19 pounds over a couple of weeks.

AllHipHop.com: What kind of support have you had, not only from peers, but also from family?

Bone Crusher: The support-level has been really good. Everybody is like, “That’s good man, that’s good,” but I feel like I’m good. Once I get down to 300, I’ll probably be satisfied. But everybody loves it though.

AllHipHop.com: Going back to the music, what do you feel is in the future for you artistically? Do you see yourself doing albums of your own for very much longer?

Bone Crusher: I figure, maybe two more [albums] and I’m done. I’m not trying to go too much further than that. But then, my plan doesn’t really factor in, because whatever God’s plan is, that’s the way things will be.

Feb 23, 2003
Khia: Queen to Be
By Nia Beckwith

W hen you feel like nobody can do it like you and your competition is minimal it’s only natural that you step up and claim a title. “Queen of South” is what she’s chosen to call herself and it doesn’t seem like anyone has objected…well at least not yet. Written off as a one-hit wonder by most Hip-Hop fans after her hit single “My Neck, My Back,” Khia says she has plans to show otherwise.

While her first album Thug Misses sold over 800,000 units independently, Khia has gone on to produce her entire sophomore effort Gangstress. To play along with the title, the mugshots from several years ago will be collaged to make the Tampa rapper’s album cover.

With a Janet Jackson collaboration in the works, this one-hit wonder is one that plans to wipe her competition out. Khia discusses the role of the female MC, artists who don’t write for themselves, and she speaks on the role of sexuality in her music as compared to others. She’s been quiet for three years, but Khia is making up for lost time with and without the mic.

AllHipHop.com: So I hear before you got recognized as an artist that you used to be a bartender down in Florida?

Khia: Yes I did. I was a bartender for seven years and loved it. I was able to build relationships with all the DJs and radio stations and club promoters. I worked in one of the biggest clubs in Tampa and it was good because I was able to get my music into the right hands. It was a great opportunity and it worked out good.

AllHipHop.com: You’ve been missing for a while. No one has heard much from you since your first album dropped. What have you been doing?

Khia: I traveled and toured. I’ve been overseas. Most artists out here have seen me on the road, just a lot of the mainstream media haven’t seen me and that was by choice. Thug Misses came out in 2002 and I toured overseas 2003 and all of 2004. I’ve been to Japan, Africa, Greece, Italy, Germany and France. As huge as “My Neck, My Back” was over here in the United States, it was just that huge overseas. Just to be able to tour and travel all over the world with my first album was an accomplishment. A lot of artists aren’t able to do that off their first album. I just got back into the states in 2005. All during that process I had been writing and getting prepared for this album and trying to get a deal because I only had a one album distribution deal my first time around. Just trying to do all the pit work and get this album out it took a year, so it’s really not a comeback because I haven’t been just sitting and waiting.

AllHipHop.com: That first time around you sold 800,000 units independently. Your first single “My Neck, My Back” had sex written all over it. Do you think that if you would have used a different approach in your lyrics you would have sold as many records?

Khia: Oh most definitely. A lot of people think it was just about “My Neck, My Back,” but it wasn’t just about “My Neck, My Back.” You’ll get to see on my new album that I’m real versatile and I cross a whole lot of different avenues.

AllHipHop.com: Elaborate on the title “Queen of the South” and why you choose to call yourself that?

Khia: Me coming out independently and selling as many records as I did, no other female artist from the South has done that on their own. I’m independent, I do all of my own writing and production, I don’t have a major team or major label and I’ve accomplished a lot. As far as being “Queen of the South,” I’m calling myself that because I’m standing on my own two feet and I’m doing a lot of work for myself that most female artists don’t do.

Being independent and having my own label, selling units, and not coming out behind a man is a lot. Lil’ Kim had Biggie, Trina got Trick, Remy got Fat Joe, Mia X had No Limit, Eve had Ruff Ryders, and Foxy had Jay-Z. Every woman that has been out has piggybacked off a man. You can’t be the queen if you’re not running the show. I have made a lot of noise on my own in the South and all over the world. My first single alone made a bigger impact than any female that has came out by herself. I run the streets in the South.

AllHipHop.com: Is that why you choose to do the album without any collaborations?

Khia: I think that people use collaborations because they are talentless and they need to try and come up off other people’s sales and fan base. I do all my writing and my own production. I’ve done features with other people, but for my album I just chose not to do any.

AllHipHop.com: So what’s your first single going to be?

Khia: The first single is going to be “Snatch the Cat Back.” It’s another ladies anthem. To break it down for the ladies: if your man ain’t treating you right, snatch the cat back, or if he’s hurting you and dealing with other woman, snatch the cat back. I felt that it was something that all women could relate to because at some point every woman has wanted to snatch the cat back. The song is really about respect.

AllHipHop.com: I read that your new album cover will have some of your old mug shots that surfaced on the internet a while back? Talk to me about that.

Khia: My whole album cover is going to be my mugshots. The album is going to be called Gangstress, so why not have the truth on the cover? There was a lot of controversy about that too. When you have a little bit of success you’re going to have people that come in and spread rumors and try to assassinate your character, but that was another reason why I used the mugshots. It’s not something that I’m trying to hide from, it’s all in my music. It’s still a way to show that I’m not trying to paint a pretty picture and look sexy. This is what I used to be and this is what I am now. It’s gonna show the truth behind the music. You have thugs and thug misses, gangsters and gangstresses, you have girls who go to prison and hustle n’ grind just like guys do. They’ll be able to relate and know that it doesn’t matter that this is where you came from, if you have goals and dreams you can still achieve and do well. I chose to use them for a lot of different reasons.

AllHipHop.com: So when you saw the pictures surface what was it like to have your past exposed? Did it bother you?

Khia: At home and in Florida when you’re brought up in the hood, you’re trained for that kind of stuff. I wasn’t going to do a Mariah Carey and be in rehab and OD’ing somewhere stressed and depressed because people were pulling up my past. I was just like… “Oh look at this!” [giggling] It really didn’t affect me, but it showed me that people aren’t loyal in this game and will do stuff to sabotage your career so you have to be head strong. If you’re not, you won’t make in the Hip-Hop world because there’s some shady s**t going on out here.

AllHipHop.com: Now I hear that you might have a song with Janet Jackson? Is that true?

Khia: Ohhhh! [in shock] Yes, it’s true. The song is going to be promoted with her album, not with mine. It’s called “So Excited.” It’s a hot track, and it’s going to be the second single off her album. I love Janet to death. I was so excited when she called to do the song. I think it’s a good tag team and I enjoyed working with her. I turned down a lot of people that wanted to collaborate and said I’d never collaborate with another female rapper, but I couldn’t turn down Janet.

AllHipHop.com: How do feel about female MCs in the industry?

Khia: I don’t have a favorite female MC. A lot of theme have male ghostwriters and try to sound and rap all hard like a man. Women can’t relate to that. It might be pleasing to a man’s ear but to a woman it’s degrading. They’re not getting any respect because they are being used as sex symbols and not demanding any. So many of them are puppets for men who are putting them out there and I don’t respect that.

AllHipHop.com: So do you feel like you have any competition out there?

Khia: No…None what so ever. I’m the “Queen of the South” and I’m claiming [it]. I know there’s going to be a lot of controversy and people trying to compare because that’s what they do, but the bottom line is I’m handling my business. Until another women in the South steps up and does that, I’m not going to respect you and you can’t take my place. I’m out here and I’m doing it, I don’t respect none of them.

AllHipHop.com: With you being from Florida and having female counterparts such as Trina and Jacki-O, what do you think about them?

Khia: Trina and Jacki-O…Please! Just like I said: [they are] puppets. Trina piggybacked off Trick Daddy and every single that she had she needed a big name feature to sell records. The girl does lap dances on stage. The majority of her fan base is men and that’s because they wanna f**k. They looking at ass, sex, and her as a sex symbol. She talks about being a female pimp, and tricking for $10,000, and diamonds and all that kind of mess. That’s not the real world. She’s living in a make believe world, and that s**t she raps about is make believe. And Jacki-O, I’ve never heard of her.

AllHipHop.com: Besides dropping your album, what else is in the future for you?

Khia: I have a new book that’s dropping this Christmas called Gangsta Love that I am promoting with my album. It’s a thug misses story, my story, and where my music comes from. So I’m trying to promote my book and produce beats and do some writing for other artists. I just want to be respected and not known as a one hit wonder and my second album, Gangstress is going to help me make my mark.