POST/READ ALL SOUTHERN ARTIST INTERVIEWS HERE!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
PAUL WALL
from awready.com
no date available

Paul Wall "The Champ Speaks"

AWREADY: First off, when is the album dropping?

Paul Wall: It’s coming out this summer, on August 16th.

AW: What is name of the album and why did you name it that?

PW: The Peoples Champ. My homeboy gave me that name just as a nickname just because I was always showing love to everybody. I never stuck my nose up to people I always just kept it real with everybody whether or not you was the boss of the company or you was the one that took out the trash at the end of the day. I always just showed the same love and same respect to everybody.
AW: How do you feel this new album compares to your first solo, the Chick Magnet?

PW: Uh, it’s a lot different. I definitely stepped up my level of lyricism and I’ve learned just different tactics in making good music, just throughout the time. Whether it be delivering in lyrics or whether it be with the different production, coming up with different hooks. I worked with the GRiT Boys a whole lot in the process of making the album they came up with a lot of the hooks, either the GRiT Boys or my boy Yung Redd. They came up with a lot of the different hooks whether they said them or I said them they came up with most of them actually. We really came up with concepts for the music, for the songs. The whole agenda for The Peoples Champ is to represent the Texas culture on a national level and introduce it to the rest of the world, let the rest of the world know what's going on in Texas because they really don’t know. That’s basically the whole agenda of the album. The level of production is top notch; level of lyrics is top notch and its just generally jammin' for real. Actually, the main way it differs is because the features. On the Chick Magnet and on the other albums there weren’t really a lot of features. This album has Lil' Wayne, BG, Bun B, T.I. and Freeway.

AW: Do you remember the first time you heard Michael Watts and Swisha House?

PW: Yeah I remember. It was a tape called Homestead for Life, it’s now referred to as North side 1. It was real hard because I always used to like jammin' the Screw tapes, but being that they were from the Southside at the time when all the plex was going on between the North side and the South side it was really hard to just respectfully jam Screw in my neighborhood so, Michael Watts came along started putting out mix tapes kind of representing for the North side. With the same slowed down sound, even though the sound was different it didn’t sound the same as a Screw tape but the general, shit it was slowed down! Michael Watts added his touch to it, but yeah it was called Homestead for Life now referred to as North side 1. It was just like damn we finally got someone to represent for the North side and from there it was just like I’d represent that jam it on a regular, but now that all the plex is gone I can like listen to Screw tapes the same ones that I listened to on the low back then now I can listen to them with the windows down.

AW: Being on the same label as Mike Jones, do you feel pressured to match? Or surpass his numbers?

PW: Ummm, you know we always want to do better so the way things are going more than likely I probably will do bigger numbers than him and then on his next album he'll probably do bigger numbers than me. We're not in competition though its definitely support for each other. You know I push him just as I push me you know he pushes me just as much as he pushes himself. No, I don’t feel like its pressure, of course we all want to go platinum we all want to go platinum a few times over. As the spotlight comes closer and closer to Houston and as the rest of the country gets more up on what we got going on you know the success of what Swisha House is doing just getting bigger and bigger so just naturally over time our sales are going to increase but in the end I hope we all do good. I know he hopes we all do good and the same for Slim Thug.

AW: You've probably been asked this a million times, but we've got to get the truth behind the rumors. A lot of comments have been made since the whole issue with Chamillionaire became public, him taking offense to things you say in your raps or interviews, what’s the deal on that? Are you still cool with anyone from the old click?

PW: Yeah Lew Hawk is my partner. Matter fact, the other day was Lew Hawk's birthday, that’s my dog. I'm still down with Twin that’s my partner. Other then that, if you got a problem with me tell me, if I got a problem with him I’ll tell him. He's just somebody in my past, that’s all.

AW: What producers did work on the Peoples Champ album?

PW: The Grid Iron. Pretty Todd my boy Calvin Earl. As well as Salih of Carnival Beats. He did Still Tippin', Sittin' Sideways, Back Then, he did a lot of the Wreck Shop hits. The Grid Iron did the majority of the production on the album I put out previous to this one. I had opportunities to work with a lot of major producers but on this album I really wanted to just introduce the culture to the rest of the world that I feel like it would be best represent by the Grid Iron and by Salih being that they're kind of in house, but not solely in house but were on a team together. I wanted to represent for them and they really understand and respect more of what my agenda is and their behind it 100%. Being that they are from Texas they understand it a little bit better. Other than that I got KLC from Beats by the Pound and Medicine man he did a beat. 3-6 Mafia made a beat Juicy J and DJ Paul, Sanchez who has done a lot of production for T.I.

AW: The Sittin' Sideways single is blowing up on radio stations across the nation, and the video is about to drop. Who directed this video?

PW: Directed by Dr. Teeth aka. John Tucker. He did the Still Tippin', Back Then he'll probably direct a lot of the videos that we do if not all of them. He's another person who really understands the culture being that he'd from Houston. He understands the desire for us to introduce it to the rest of the world being that he's so creative and he knows how to work the camera and direct the videos real good we feel like he will introduce that to the world.

AW: You recorded a group video for Still Tippin' along with Mike Jones and Slim Thug, how was recording your own video different from that?

PW: It was a lot different because a lot more of the attention was on me, even still I had two verses as oppose to all three Big Pokey had the third verse. Most of the attention was on me I had more creative control of who gets in the video or what girls get in the video, what cars would be used things like that. It was kind of like I had a lot more of the decision-making process, but even still I didn’t abuse that. Only thing I wanted was my home girl Danielle who was dancing in front of me in the video, I wanted to make sure she got in the video and it was a few other people I wanted to make sure got in the video but other than that its like man I’m not the director I'm the artist the artist of the video. I want John Tucker to direct it, that’s why we hired him. So I just let him do his thing and whatever he saw.

AW: For hungry producers out there how would they go about getting some of their beats to Paul Wall?

PW: Man they've got to have a CD in their hand and they might have to get me 10 cd's before I even listen to it. I get so many cd's everywhere I go. Really, if they want to get some beats to me the most important and most effective way of getting that done is giving that beat CD to T Farris. He picks the majority if not all of the hits for not only me but also Mike Jones and the Swisha House. The beats we always rap on, he picks them. He's got a real good ear for music he comes up with the concepts for a lot of the songs. He'll be like "you know what, you need to rap on this beat that way or you need to jump on that beat this way." We'll go in there and write it but it'll be his idea, like this Still Tippin' he picked the beat for that and he made it happen. So yeah man, just get that shit to T Farris.

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
continue....

AW: Besides music and grills, DJ'ing is your passion. How long have you been DJ'ing? Do you feel you are at competition with the other slowed down DJ's from the city whom are also taking it to that worldwide audience? What are some of the artist’s albums that you’ve done screwed and chopped remix's for?

PW: I've been DJ'ing since like '94-'95, just DJ'ing parties, clubs then started doing mix tapes. As far as in competition, no I feel like the people that like to listen to me DJ buy my tapes, cd's and come see me at the club and the people who want to hear them go see them and buy their tapes and cd's. I don’t feel like I'm in competition with anybody accept myself. That’s who I’m in competition with. I'm only trying to better than I’ve done in the past. I'm trying to do the best that I can do, I’m not trying to be better than anybody else. I'm just trying to be the best that I can be. I support them to the fullest too, like DJ D I support his shit, Daryl Scott, Bone, those are DJ's of the past who've slowed down a lot of shit. Of course DJ Screw I got over 200 Screw tapes and cd's in my collection, my personal collection. Michael Watts of course, I represent for Watts I let it be known. Any artist that wants they shit Screwed & Chopped, I tell them shit you better get Michael Watts to do that shit. Sometimes different artists might be a fan of the way I do it or they just might be my partner more so they might be like shit, you know what I want you to do it because I fuck with you and your my homeboy. Artists I’ve done, I did It’s Urban Legend, Lil’ Flip's u Gotta Feel Me, and I did the DEA Alliance. The DEA was the one I took the most pride in because that was the group that DJ Screw was a part of. DEA was Fat Pat, Screw, Kay-Kay, Lil’ KeKe, Big Hawk and that was like one of my favorite CD's of a long time. The DEA Alliance, was just a jammin' cd that I really loved. So when I did the CD, I did it for Big Hawk. Big Hawk wanted me to do it so I took a lot of pride in doing it man. That there was just an honor. When I did the CD I didn’t do any talking over it because I didn’t want the spotlight to be on me DJ'ing or screwing and chopping the album. I wanted the spotlight to be on the album. I really loved doing it. Other then that I did Z-Ro's Let the Truth Be Told, I did one for The Transplants they are also on Atlantic. That shit is off the chain.

AW: Recently you hooked up with the renowned Bum squad DJ team, how did that come about?

PW: I’m a DJ and my boy Crisco Kid he's one of the Bum squad DJ's and he was from Houston, but he went out to the radio in Albuquerque, New Mexico I went to his birthday party it was Me, Chingo Bling, Pitbull and my boy Latin Prince. LP runs the entire Bum squad shit he was out there with some of my other homeboys who are Bum squad DJ's. My boy DJ Coolaid he was out there and they were just fucking with me and my boy Latin Price was messing with me about being a Bum squad artist being that they are messing with some artists. I was like naw man you crazy I’m a DJ! I don’t want to be down with that artist shit, I want to be a DJ on that shit. From then on out the shit was official, I’m on that Bum squad DJ.

AW: Anything else that you want to mention before we end this?

PW: The album comes out on August 16th. Make sure you go pick it up its a special edition double disc. One disc is regular speed for the dummies and screwed and chopped for the G's, so shit, go pick it up baby!!! It’s going down! and my website, djpaulwall.com!

Awready!!!!

Feb 23, 2003
NEW THREE 6 MAFIA INTERVIEW SPEAKS ON NEW ALBUM!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three 6 Mafia! Whats going on?

DJ Paul: Whats going on!

Crunchy Blac: Whats the bizness.

Juicy: Just chillen, cool as a fan.

How it feel Project Pat out?

DJ Paul: Its good.

Crunchy Blac: Feel real good to have him home

Hows Pat been doing since he been out?

Crunchy Blac: Just been chillin working, spending time with his family, but he real good.

I heard he got a lot of material written in the three years he was away?

Crunchy Blac: Yes!! Don’t cha know, movies, albums, he got a whole bunch of shit written ready to go, Pat's Back.

Juicy J: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sound good, so we can expect that new album next year then I'm guessing?

Crunchy Blac: Well he going to be chilling for a minute but he will be working on it soon.

DJ Paul: Bout February or sometime in the first quarter of 2006.

Most Known Unknowns coming September 27th, tell me about that?

DJ Paul: Shit you know its some of that same ole Three 6 Mafia flavor its jamming, bumping like a fool, Slim Thug, Eightball & MJG, Young Buck, Project Pat, Paul Wall, Lil Flip, Remy Martin, Mr Bigg, its hot.

Juicy J: That Junt Bumping!!!

Crunchy Blac: We just doing our thing manne, just trying to give yall some good music.

Most Known Unknowns, good title fits yall well tell me about what you want fans to perceive it as?

DJ Paul: We known but at the same time we unknown, we done a lot of shit people don’t even know we done did, they familiar with it but they don’t know we did it. A lot of hits we got out there, a lot of people don’t know how long and how strong we been in this game.

I know the single “Still Fly” was circulating a little early, round the time Choices 2 came out, was it suppose to be out that early, was the album suppose to be out this early, or did the single just take off and you moved the album up?

DJ Paul: Naw it was always suppose to come out around that time, actually it was suppose to come out earlier than this, we just kept recording doing shit over and over again. So we just pushed the album back till we felt we had it ready and right.

I mean that’s a pretty big collaboration, Eightball & MJG, Young Buck plus yall on a track how did that come about?

DJ Paul: Well we did some production for Young Buck, the "Stomp" song was us, and we always fucked with Buck that’s our dawg. Eightball & MJG them been our homies for the longest, we always said we was going to work together and do a track together, then we ran into them and let them hear the Stay Fly track, they loved it so we went ahead and finally collaborated on that junt.

So the rumors true? Project Pat on the remix?

Juicy J: YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

DJ Paul: It’s a don dada, we got Project Pat on there, Slim Thug, and Florida’s Trick Daddy, be on the lookout for that! Stay Fly is a South song and we keeping it South!

When you plan on releasing that a little bit before the album or we going to have to wait for the official to drop?

DJ Paul: Its on the album, but we going to let it out to radio early next month.

Crunchy Blac: Right now its in your pocket, get the album you get the remix!

So what separates this new Three 6 Mafia from all the past projects you done put out?

Juciy J: We got older!

DJ Paul: Pretty much, that’s it we got older. We keep shit the same, if it aint broke don’t fix it manne. We do some little tricks here and there with the beats to spice it up but we pretty much talking about the same thing, drugs, hoes, and backrolls!

So what are some of yall favorite tracks we should be looking out for?

Juicy J: All of them, we got like 20 to 22 tracks on their, we love all of them I cant even bullshit, I love all them this time around. Dropping em, Dropping em, DROPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

DJ Paul: My favorite song on there is “Side to Side” it’s a dance song for niggas in the club that don’t dance, the cat in the back with his hat down with the black n mild or blunt hanging in his mouth just chillen.

What's y'all favorite throwback Three 6 Mafia album?

DJ Paul: I'd probably have to say When The Smoke Clears for now.

Crunchy Blac: The first junt we ever done!

The Mystic Styles?

Crunchy Blac: Yeahh.

What about the UG tapes?

Crunchy Blac: Juicy J, That Chronicles Of The Juice Man!!!

DJ Paul: DJ Paul & Juicy J Volume 9 probably my favorite.

Juicy J: YEAH!

You got some new artists on the roster, Chrome & Boogie Man tell me about them?

DJ Paul: Boogie Man one of our homies for a long ass time, we been knowing him he been on the road with us over the years, we grew up with him. Chrome we heard about him awhile ago, we just picked up on him not too long ago, he was in a group with his brother Shank. His brother caught a murder charge and is going to be away for awhile, so we signed Chrome and made it happen. "Straight To The Pros" coming soon.

Shank & Chrome came out with that Daily Living song, remember that?

DJ Paul: Shit I dunno even remember the name of any of them songs right now, but they did have a old album out.

So tell me what new artists like Boogie Man & Chrome bring to the table as far as the label?

Crunchy Blac: Well Boogie Man, he a nigga just like me Crunchy Blac, we got us a album coming out called “Out Of The Closet”.

Juicy J: You just going to have to wait to hear him, he a gutta ass nigga, it’s a surprise, SUPRISEEEEEEEE. Its going to be like Christmas morning when you hear him, look out!

When can we expect to see the albums in stores?

Crunchy Blac: Chrome looking like October/November, and Boogieman working on his. They both out the frame manne.

Juicy J: They bumping!!

Ay Crunchy we on the topic all this stuff coming out, when your album coming out?

Crunchy Blac: It's coming, I ain't rushing nothing, I'mma bring that hood shit on it because I'm a hood nigga.

DJ Paul: Shit coming soon, keep looking, check the liquor stores, the dope spots, shake junts, that’s where you going to find that shit, crunchy that hood nigga.

Another coming soon question, it's been bout a decade it feel like, when the hell Cashin Checks coming?

DJ Paul: Its coming, we been cashing the checks so we aint had the time to record it, but we going to bring it out in the future.

What about Grandaddy Souf, I heard he messing with yall now?

DJ Paul: That’s just one of our homies, he ain't signed to us, he in the crew that’s our homeboy we helping him out.

I know y'all really been into movies lately, Choices 2, cameos in Hustle & Flow, I'm guessing more movies is coming?

DJ Paul: Yea we got Choices 2 in stores right now, selling good, then we got Choices 3 hopefully coming next year. Then we have our first comedy dropping this year also, straight DVD release on October 18th its called the Clean Up Men. Its funny as a fool. Then we might do another junt called the “Streetz Of Memphis” which is something like the Choices movie.

You think Hustle & Flow did a good job representing Memphis and how maybe Three Six Mafia came up?

DJ Paul: Yea manne, watching that movie brought back memories. John Singleton did a good job representing Memphis in that movie.

You're always known for your production, maybe not noted on it like you said but who are some artists who are getting ready to drop albums that we can see some DJ Paul & Juicy J production on?

DJ Paul: Shit it’s a whole lot of them, Mike Jones new album, Paul Wall, Remy Martin, Rich Boy, Youngbloodz, Playaz Click, it’s some more that I cant think of right now but those are some of the upcoming albums you going to hear a DJ Paul & Juicy J banger on.

Aight time for rumor control, a lot of speculation on Lord Infamous and his whereabouts?

DJ Paul: Well Lord on vacation right now, Pat just got off and now Lord taking his vacation.

What about Lord Infamous starting his own imprint under Three 6 Mafia?

DJ Paul: Uhhhh could be we talking, like I said I aint really talked to him about that he on a little permanent vacation right now.

Eightball & MJG & Three 6 Mafia album?

DJ Paul: Dunno we both busy, we going to try to make that happen in the future but not anything real soon, just some talk for now.

Last one heard, you might be producing for acts like Ciara and other big mainstream artists?

DJ Paul: That’s a rumor, but hell I aint counting it out I'll do it, you cut the check, we bring the hits.

Aight manne I preciate y'all, good luck with the album give me a classic Three 6 outro.

DJ Paul: Most Known Unknowns, in stores September 27th, Chrome this fall, Choices 2 in stores righttttt now!!

Juicy J: “Screams wildly!!!!!” Paul Lets Eat Nigga!!!

SOURCE:WWW.THEULTIMATECDLINK.COM

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
Ludacris Talks About Field Mob Signing With Disturbin Tha Peace

Albany, Georgia Hip-Hop duo Field Mob has inked a deal with Ludacris' Disturbing Tha Peace label to release their third album Light Poles and Pine Trees.

“As Disturbing Tha Peace continues to grow, we are proud to have them as an addition to our brand,” Ludacris told AllHipHop.com. “We [Disturbing Tha Peace] are here to broaden their appeal as being two of the leading lyricists from the south. I expect just as much from them as they do from us.”

Group members Shawn Jay and Smoke explained the meaning behind the album’s title.

"The name of the album is Light Poles and Pine Trees because there ain't no skyline where we're from," Shawn Jay said. "There's no arch like in St. Louis or palm trees like California," continued Smoke aka Chevy Pendagrass. "You look up and that's what you see in Albany."

The release of the unofficial single in "Georgia" features Ludacris and a sampled hook from Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind,” which is also the official song of the state of Georgia.

The first official single will be "Friday Night," which also features Ludacris and is produced by Kenjo.

The album will feature collaborations with Ludacris, Ciara, Bone Crusher, Bobby Valentino, and others.

"I feel like we're the most posturpedic group in the industry right now," says Shawn Jay. "Meaning, we're the most slept-on artists. Other artists know that if them boys get a little bit of light, its over."

Light Poles and Pine Trees is slated to drop in November on Disturbing Tha Peace/Geffen Records.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
Slim Thug Interview

INTERVIEW BY: Leon Bailey

WordofSouth.com: How's everything going man?

Slim Thug: Man, a whole lot. I'm doing this fucking Jimmy Kimmel show right now. I'm just moving around trying to promote this album and shit. You know we got that poppin'; it just came out so I'm just promoting that shit.

WordofSouth.com: The album dropped and you moved 128,000. How you feeling about that?

Slim Thug: I'm feeling good about it man. I ain't even got no fucking single out there. It just showed me that I got a loyal fan base.

WordofSouth.com: I saw the numbers and was like, 'damn he moved a lot of copies and they ain't even pushing it how it supposed to.'
Slim Thug: That shit crazy to me too man. I was like- without no single I ain't expect to do that. I was just trying to crack 100 (thousand).

WordofSouth.com: Were you upset when you heard about the advanced copy of the album being leaked?

Slim Thug: I was hot about that shit. It fucked my whole cycle up. I was supposed to be dropping sometime in October last year and that fucked me up.

WordofSouth.com: The track Diamonds is crazy man. How did that whole concept come about?

Slim Thug: I gotta give all that to Mr. Lee. We was on the way to L.A., wrapping the album up and I felt that I needed more from him. I been listening to his shit and he been missing for a minute. He did some shit on the plane and that what it was. He came with the hook on that mothafucka and that beat was a monster, so I was like, 'hell yeah.'

WordofSouth.com: So tell me what is your favorite track on there and why?

Slim Thug: My favorite track is gonna be "Dedicate" because it means something to me. The rest of the album I'm just basically introducing myself, having fun, and playing around. That record was about one of my partners that got killed so it meant something to me. That's my favorite one.

WordofSouth.com: You had four videos out before the album dropped. Why so many videos?

Slim Thug: It really wasn't four. It was just four that got leaked. The ones that really came out was "3 Kings", "Like A Boss", and "I Ain't Heard of That. "3 Kings" was just a street record, the label ain't put no weight behind that. "Like A Boss," it was alright. It did enough to hold mothafuckas out. "I Ain't Heard of That," that video is thoed man. I think it came late because of the shit that got bootlegged. You know it ain't nothing I ain't expect. I'm a street nigga man so you know I felt like that. I knew mothafuckas- well I ain't know- I tried not to think like that, but I felt like I was going to be in that type of shit. To still come out and do what I did without a number one song feels good right now.

WordofSouth.com: So what single do you plan to drop next?

Slim Thug: Most likely it's gonna be that "Diamonds." I'm like fuck it we gonna take it back to the streets and do this "Diamonds" on some real Texas gangsta shit.

WordofSouth.com: Let's go back in time. For everyone that thinks Slim Thug is a new artist that the Neptunes just picked up, why don't you give them a brief history of Slim Thug.

Slim Thug: I started back in '98. We built Swisha House up. I was over there with Michael Watts before he had a label. We built Swisha House up and we was killin 'em doing shows, mix tapes on other people beats and shit. In 2000 I started my own label- Boss Hogg Outlawz, did mix tapes and independent records. We sold a whole bunch of records and that's where the whole "Already Platinum" shit come from. I ain't think I was gonna be on a major label, but I called it "Already Platinum" because I was getting a whole lot of money before the deal and without having a plaque on the wall. That's what it's all about man, I'm just doing my thing man. Labels have been trying to sign me since 2000, and I been turning deals down because I was getting a lot of money down south.

WordofSouth.com: What was it about the Neptunes that you was like, "damn I need to sign with them"?

Slim Thug: It wasn't like that. It was never like that. I was with Geffen/Interscope and me and Pharell got in the studio, did a week of work, and the shit came out good so I was like fuck it let me roll with this shit.

WordofSouth.com: What is it like to be in the studio working with them?
Slim Thug: It was live man. I was feeling every beat that they brought in there so that was a good sign, so I was like. 'fuck it, it aint gonna fuck with my money none.'

WordofSouth.com: What hustling strategies did you use to get people to listen to your music?

Slim Thug: Shit man, I just did me on the independent shit. I knew what Texas wanted to hear so if you ask me to make a hit for Texas or Louisiana, I could do that all day. When you're signed and hollering at the whole world when they don't know shit about Texas- it's a good sign that "Still Tippin'" broke because people got their ears open. I was signed before "Still Tippin'" popped and I just ain't know which way to go at first.

WordofSouth.com: So what's your opinion on Houston being so major right now?

Slim Thug: It's a blessing to be a part of it man and I'm just happy to be a part of this whole thing. Me- to be one of the dudes, to be in front of it- I'm just happy to be a part of it.

WordofSouth.com: How are you handling things as far as being in the public eye more?

Slim Thug: Man, I'm the same old G man. Ain't shit changed about me, ask anybody that ever seen Slim Thugga. I still ain't got no big ass bodyguards surrounding me, I'm the same old nigga. I'll wear the same thing twice in a week, I don't give a damn. I'm the same old G, ya know what I'm saying?

*Both laugh*

WordofSouth.com: What other music are you working on right now?

Slim Thug: Shit I'm working on the "Boyz N Blue" album man. We got it coming up after my shit and I just been in the studio working on that shit.

WordofSouth.com: Can you tell me something about it?

Slim Thug: We just really kicked it on that shit. I got some producers on my team now, so we got in the studio and just got started. We did about three songs or whatever and we just rolling.

WordofSouth.com: On "3 Kings" you saidm 'first CD out that's not slow-mo.' so everything you did before this album was slowed down?

Slim Thug: Yea every CD that was all me by myself was screwed and underground.

WordofSouth.com: I read that you own some record stores, strip clubs, car dealerships. Is all this true?

Slim Thug: I own record stores, I do the real estate shit, I don't own no car lot or dealership, but I'm trying to put that shit together. That's something that I'm working on. This rap shit is really consuming a lot of my time, and at the present time this is where I can probably make the most money at right now, so I'm a take advantage of this shit and put the other shit to the side until I get a little free time.

WordofSouth.com: So out of everything that you do, what do you enjoy the most?
Slim Thug: Man I'm a hustler man, wherever the most money at is number one so if I get a gang of real estate shit bumping.

WordofSouth.com: In the latest Ozone there is a question that says, "I didn't wanna say names, but I heard that Slim Thug recently referred to you as 'some dude named Z-Ro.'" Did you say that?

Slim Thug: Yea I probably did say it but I wasn't hating- saying it like to hate. I still don't see how I was wrong with what I said. I was telling a story and said he was on some dude name Z-Ro album shooting a slug at me. He just let OZone gas him up on some bullshit, but ain't nobody gone slap me and you can print that.

WordofSouth.com: Z-Ro also said that Lil' Flip wasn't dissing you on the song "From the South" but you as well as a lot of people think otherwise.

Slim Thug: Well if I think that and everybody else think that, then when you shooting slugs aim more at the target, like say a name or something and it won't be no confusion.

WordofSouth.com: Is this one of those situations where you think others are kind of jealous because you're another artist out of Houston that is blowing up?

Slim Thug: I mean I don't fuck with nobody. I don't speak on other niggas in a negative way. If the press ask me about anybody who never spoke bad on my name, even if I'm not a fan of what they doing or really don't care for them, if I speak at all I speak positive so you be the judge of what it is. Check my background. I never shot a slug or had beef with nobody first. Whenever I speak, it's always a response to something they do, because I don't need that bullshit to blow me up.

WordofSouth.com: How did you hook up with Drama for the Boss Basics?

Slim Thug: I been fucking with Drama for a long time now. He was the one who named the song "3 Kingz." He put it on his mix tape and named it that so I just kept it like that.

WordofSouth.com: Do you plan to do any big tours this year?

Slim Thug: Yea me, Mike (Jones), (Young) Jeezy, Paul (Wall), Juve (Juvenile), and a couple more people trying to work out something.

WordofSouth.com: Album dropped Tuesday and it's off the chain. Anything else that you want to say before we wrap this up man?

Slim Thug: "Boyz N Blu" coming soon.

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
slim thug interview (ahh)

The last time AllHipHop.com featured Slim Thug, Already Platinum seemed like a political campaign from a president – questionable. Already, Slim Thug has affirmed what Mike Jones showed early, and what Paul Wall is likely to punctuate – that Houston is beastly in the ’05 Rap Game. It hasn’t been since Lil’ Flip’s commercial boom in 2002 that Houston turned so many heads. Lil’ Flip’s comments certainly don’t appear to be turning Slim Thug. Read AllHipHop.com’s post-album follow-up feature to discuss Already Platinum, the elbow-room quarrel in Houston, and how Dubya ain’t the only Texan with a gun rack. If you’re Slim Thug, the Rap game must look like Duck Hunt. AllHipHop.com: One thing you have been credited for prior to working with a major label was your independence. Since the album has dropped, do you still feel positively about moving to a major label?

Slim Thug: Yeah, working with the majors is definitely the best way to be if you are trying to be in this Rap business and you got your numbers right, as far as your business, and what they are supposed to pay you. Now, the money s**t, if you want to be independent, you got to have that hustle, if you want to be a successful independent. As far as me, I am cool with my situation right now, I’m cool.

AllHipHop.com: Recently, there has been a burst of artists out of H-town, with any city, Atlanta, New York, Houston, etc; everyone is going for that shot to be the king of their respective city. Do you find that same thing about Houston? We certainly sensed such from “I Ain’t Heard of That”…

Slim Thug: It has been competitive with Houston, man. Like a lot of people in Houston don’t even stick together and get in to it over the same ole s**t. Motherf**kers trying to be the baddest motherf**ker in the city. It really does not matter to me as long as what I do is a factor, it don’t really matter to me. Rap is just a competitive thing, everybody is competitive and everybody wants to be number one, be the king, all that s**t, you know what I’m sayin’. AllHipHop.com: As far as the friendly competition out there, do you have any guys that you compete with in a friendly manner?

Slim Thug: We don’t compete, I got my n***as I f**k with like: Mike Jones and Paul Wall. We don’t compete or no s**t like that.

AllHipHop.com: Is there any competition between yourself and Lil’ Flip?

Slim Thug: No there ain’t no competition, not on my end? Some n***as, they feel like that to the point where they wanna be the king and all that there to the point where they be speaking on s**t, getting out of line with it. I said that about Flip on that song because on the [song] with Z-Ro, [he said]“n***as think they made it before they album dropped” or whatever; that s**t was big in the streets, everybody was like he talking about Slim, because the name of my album is Already Platinum. I felt like he shot that slug right there, but I was chillin’ though, I left that alone. His group, Squad Up, they got on a mix cd and shot some slugs, they said my name on the s**t. It wasn’t no guessing since they said my name, so, when I heard that record, I just responded, lettin’ n***as know, “N***a, I don’t give a f**k what you talking about, it’s whatever.” It ain’t no competition, I really ain’t in no competition with nobody.

AllHipHop.com: “The Interview,” is a perplexing record, can you comment on it more?

Slim Thug: That’s just what it is, this here is prior to all the “Still Tippin” s**t a lot of people did not listen to Houston Rap, they did not really respect the Screwed-up s**t. I always kept it like that and did that type of s**t. When I first got with the Neptunes, I was still doing my H-Town s**t on those types of records. Motherf**kers got to speaking that s**t, like it ain’t going to do nothing or whatever. It’s just a lot of n***as, everybody going to talk. I was talking to Houston right there: DJ’s, people in the streets who think they know every f**king thing, just trying to predict what people do and all that there. I just be like man, get off my d*ck.

AllHipHop.com: “This is My Life,” is another gem of Already Platinum…

Slim Thug: Pharrell made the track, and when he made the track I was just feeling it, it was some real gangsta s**t, Pharrell kind of got at me on that song right there, he was like man, I want you to do some s**t like that “Bout It.” The beat kind of like “Bout It,” how I am rappin on there, it’s kind of off beat, Pharrell told me to rap offbeat, to give it that type of feel. I hate it got on bootleg, I think it kind of took away some of the impact. If this album would of came out and ain’t s**t been heard, it would have been bigger than what it is.

AllHipHop.com: Just counting songs, seems like more that almost a fourth of the songs was out before the release date, how do you feel about that?

Slim Thug: I was so anxious to get Already Platinum, to get pass that. For one the bootleg was out, everybody think they had the album. Still motherf**kers ain’t bought the album because they think they got the album or whatever, they like I got them songs. My first week, I think if the bootlegs wasn’t out I would have did even bigger numbers. I was ready to get pass this album, so people would know it’s a whole new thing. I still don’t feel like I have seen my full potential, like what I would have really did, because the bootleg being out there, because the singles that I pushed was off the bootleg. I’m ready to get to the next one.

AllHipHop.com: Not trying to compare, but coming out of Houston and getting a major deal like Flip, you do feel like people may turn on you the way people kind of turned on Flip this year? Do you feel like you are about to experience a whole lot more animosity directed at you now that you have dropped Already Platinum, an album on a major record label.

Slim Thug: Hell yeah, you ain’t know? That’s what the whole Flip thing is about; it’s already in effect right now. There have been other dudes talking down, that’s just a n***er mentality, see someone else getting it; get mad and hate, instead of getting on they grind—hatin’. It’s not just rappin’ if you on the corner and you got the most money; you got the most licks, getting the most money, you going to get hated on. It just comes with the territory. When you successful you got to have a hard-heart man. Motherf**kers is always quick to say n***as that got something, changed. Most times it be the people that saying that a n***a changed is the ones that changed. Just ‘cause I got a Phantom, I can’t play with motherf**ker no more, I can’t joke about nobody care no more or they going be like this n***a on some more s**t. It’s really the people who you was around they expect you to change, you can’t play with them in certain ways no more, that is how I feel about it.

AllHipHop.com: Everybody is involved with the whole paper chase, the Rap game…what do you consider going to far the paper, as far as being a rapper, selling out for money?

Slim Thug: I can’t call that one, s**t. Me, personally, if it ain’t real to me I can’t do it. I don’t talk about s**t I don’t do, I ain't fin to say I’m driving nothing if I ain’t driving it, I don’t have a big imagination. As far as other rappers who do make up a lot of s**t, I don’t know what they would call selling out.

AllHipHop.com: You talk a lot about different guns on your CD, are you an avid gun owner?

Slim Thug: Man, I own a gang of guns; this ain’t no little s**t I am saying to hype myself up. I like guns; I got a DVD that is going to show some of my guns.

AllHipHop.com: So, what’s your favorite out of your arsenal?

Slim Thug: I got an FN; it is a pistol that hold 21 shots, the bullet look like baby AK bullets, got the piercing. Man, they like 1200 [dollars], they trying to stop them from getting sold. It’s serious! I got AKs, pumps, Mac 10’s; I got this Raging Bull too. I don’t go to the range a lot. Only time I really shoot my s**t is in the backyard on some New Years s**t.

May 3, 2002
Nice Chamillionaire article (The Sound of Revenge)

Chamillionaire | The Sound of Revenge

This kid from Houston, Texas has some nerve. That's what came to mind as you watched an MTV special in early 2005 showcasing H-Town's commercial and artistic re-emergence on the rap scene. Following his brazen freestyle, the focused and much-heralded MC known as Chamillionaire faced a national audience and launched a swagger-filled proclamation on camera: "I'm the truth from Texas..." While such boasting may seem par-for-the-course in the prideful 25-year-plus history of hip-hop, the latter ambitious statement aptly describes Chamillionaire. It's the reason why he earned the lofty alias "The Mixtape Messiah," a title Cham was crowned after independently selling over 100,000 copies of the Get Ya Mind Correct album, and by selling thousands of his numerous mix tapes. It's why the former member of Houston's legendary mix-tape power Swisha House garnered coverage in such major hip-hop publications as Source and XXL without the backing of a major deal. When the Houston lyricist set off a major label bidding war to distribute his Chamillitary Records, it became abundantly clear throughout the 'hood and the music industry – Chamillionaire is indeed the truth.

With his major-label debut The Sound Of Revenge set for release on Universal Records, Chamillionaire is poised to take his place among Houston's current hip-hop elite, including the new generation of rhyme-spitters such as Lil' Flip, Slim Thug, Mike Jones and Paul Wall, as well respected vets UGK and Scarface. "You call out a lot of rappers and ask them why they are the best and they are going to tell you everything but the music," Cham laughs. "They will tell you that they are the best because they have some nice rims, a chain, and a mansion." He then adds in a straight-no-chaser tone, "You've heard all the hype about Chamillionaire; that he's sick with the lyrics, sings hooks, and represents the streets and the clubs. But I just want to come as close as possible to living up to my reputation."

Chamillionaire recruits an impressive list of talent on his debut effort, including Lil' Flip, Bun B, Scarface, and Krayzie Bone, as well as in-demand producers Scott Storch (50 Cent), Mannie Fresh (Lil' Wayne, Baby, Juvenile) and Cool & Dre (The Game). But, it's his work with Atlanta studio kings The Beat Bullies (1Big Boi/OutKast) that sets the tone for much of The Sound Of Revenge's diverse platform. "They understand me," Cham says of the in-house producers. "There are a lot of producers that have dope beats, but they don't know me as an artist. [The Beat Bullies] being from Atlanta, can take it to the strip clubs, the streets and to the radio."

The name “Chamillionaire” represents the unique style that defines the talented urban artist, and his ability to change and adapt on the fly, forcing people to respect the true breadth of his talent. And just as this MC moniker exemplifies, Chamillionaire is anything but predictable and most certainly versatile. "Picture Perfect" featuring Bun B comes off as a lyrical nod to the classic 'hood swagger of UGK, while the Beat Bullies'-anchored “Radio Interruption" showcases Cham's prowess for walking the blurred line between street praise and mass appeal. The storytelling brilliance of "No Snitching" (Cool & Dre), finds Cham detailing the unwritten laws of 'hood politics. On the Scott Storch produced "Turn It Up," Cham tag-teams with freestyle king Lil' Flip as they spit over an infectious track that is Houston's answer to a summer club banger. And the soulful "Here Comes The Rain" finds Chamillionaire exploring the daily struggles of life with heartfelt lyricism and ghetto angst.

"It's a very personal song and the title says it all," Cham says of the revealing track. "In a person's life the rain symbolizes the struggles we all go through. Whether you are dealing with losing a loved one or your rent is due on the 1st, but it's the 3rd and you don't have it. I'm just talking about surviving the tough times."

Chamillionaire has definitely seen his share of struggles on his road to redemption. Born to a Muslim father and Christian mother, secular music was banned in his household. Chamillionaire was barely a teenager when he moved to a low-income neighborhood in the notorious North Side of Houston, following the separation of his parents. By the early '90s, however, rap rebels such as NWA, Public Enemy, as well as hometown heroes The Geto Boys, 8-Ball & MJG and UGK would inspire a young Hakeem to write his own rhymes.

At 17, Chamillionaire, along with childhood friend and fellow hip-hop fiend Paul Wall, started doing promotional work for various Texas events. The duo would eventually bump into Michael "5000" Watts, the influential founder and co-owner of Swisha House. What started off as a savvy business proposition by the two enterprising young men became a career-altering transformation, with Watts letting the duo to record the freestyle intro for his popular radio show on Houston's 97.9 Box.

Soon after, the young MC's found themselves rhyming on a string of Watt's trademark chopped and screwed mix tapes, which transformed Cham and Paul into local rap celebrities. Street props came before any financial rewards, however. "You'd have all these fans screaming for you at shows, then you'd go back afterwards to that poverty," Chamillionaire says. "I didn't want to be one of these rappers that holds his chain up just faking like he has money. I wanted more"

By 2002, the tandem known as Color Changin' Clique exited Swisha House and signed an album deal with local on-air radio personality Mad Hatter's Paid In Full label. The move proved to be a smart one as their full-length debut Get Ya Mind Correct became one of the best-selling independent releases of the year, reaching six-figure units sold. It would also earn a Source nomination for Indie Album of The Year. Lil' Flip featured Chamillionaire on his platinum album Underground Legend. Major labels were forced to pay attention. However, Chamillionaire later left the label to focus on his own mixtape hustle and label, Chamillitary Records. Now with a team that includes his brother/rapper Rasaq and former Swisha House CEO, chopped, and screwed icon O.G. Ron C, Cham has set out to finally take control of his business vision.

Which makes the title of his major label set The Sound Of Revenge an even more powerful statement of dedication, perseverance, and raw talent. Chamillionaire, the confident, determined kid from the North Side of Houston, Texas will no longer be denied.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
Lil Troy Vs. Scarface

Lil' Troy Filing Lawsuit Against Veteran Rapper Scarface
By Tiffany Hamilton and Kye Stephenson
Date: 9/31/2005 12:00 pm

Houston, Texas rapper Lil' Troy is filing a multi-million dollar lawsuit against fellow Houston rapper, the legendary Brad “Scarface” Jordan.

Scarface and Lil’ Troy have a well known history of animosity towards each other.

The issues appear to have started shortly after Lil’ Troy caught a drug case and served prison time, as his debut Sittin’ Fat Down South hit stores. The album was powered by the hit single “Wanna Be a Baller” and eventually sold over a million copies.

Allegations were soon flying from both sides that the other was working for the government as federal informants.

Their feud entered the court when Scarface sued Lil’ Troy and his label Short Stop Records in 2002 for releasing songs that were produced by Troy, but featured tracks with Scarface’s vocals.

The songs in question were featured on Sittin Fat Down South and Scarface was eventually awarded $220,000 in damages.

In retaliation Lil' Troy is in the process of filing a $2 million lawsuit against Scarface for defamation of character and slander.

"I never thought anything about suing them or anything," Lil' Troy told AllHipHop.com. "But when he actually sued me for a track I produced and never asked for a dime on, that was crazy. I mean for him to do that is adding insult to injury, especially after all me and my family have done for him."

Lil’ Troy has also released a-tell all DVD titled “Paperwork.”

"[Scarface] wanted to sit up and make songs about me calling me a snitch," Lil' Troy continued. "But he ain't got any documents to back it up. I went to jail and did my time, but he ain't never seen a jail a day in his life. Now we see why and I am going to let the world know why."

In addition to the "Paperwork" DVD, Lil' Troy is also readying for his upcoming album Like Father Like Son.

"I am just keeping busy trying to make some money," Troy said. "I have been out [of prison] now for ten months, now I am off of probation so I can really grind and promote like I want to."

Though the beef seems intense, Lil' Troy guarantees that there is no real problems between the former friends.

"I have no problem with [Scarface]," Lil' Troy said, " I don't even know why all of a sudden I was a snitch and all this lawsuit stuff came about. I would love to sit down and ask him why. I am even willing to put it all to the side and work together again."

"Paperwork" DVD is set to be released September 20th. Like Father Like Son is set for an October release.

Scarface could not be reached for comment as of press time.
mayne...