**Oakland Raiders 2010 offseason Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
all these moves sound good but as long as Russell is at QB it wont make difference.....

i say that cuz Al loves Russell
I mean is Al really picking Russell over Cable? Cable may not be the best guy out there, but he does keep the players playing which says alot. Bring in an O.C. and let him call plays. Let the starting QB win the job instead of being given it. Let the best recievers start. This alone would have had us in playoff contention. If Russell played half-way decent, we are in the hunt. He played worst than anyone expected, unless of course you are a pure Raider hater.

Hopefully ole Al is interviewing for an OC. If he changes coaches again and continues this circus like atmosphere, I hopefully will not renew my tickets. Keeping Russell when you know he was a big contributor to our losses this year over a coach that is doing pretty well given the circumstances is insane. Lets face it. Al doesn't like to utilize his players to their full potential for whatever reason. I don't know any other way to voice my displeasure...

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
earlier I was in the gym and they had ESPN on... I caught a couple minutes of it and they Adam Schefter was saying that sources close to the Raiders claim that Cable may be staying now... and that Al might be looking to hire an OC to help him out

apparently he interviewed or is planning on interviewing the Ravens QB coach

he also said a decision will be made sooner than later because he wants his staff in place for the Senior Bowl

Jun 1, 2002
Jackson does Harbor Bay Parkway
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 at 8:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

With all the conflicting accounts of another typical offseason for the Raiders, one thing is for sure _ Hue Jackson was in Alameda, talking to team officials.

Assume that Al Davis was among them if you want, but at this point, with all the reports, denials and non-denials, it’s hard to know what’s up with the Raiders.

The Jackson visit, I’m assured, is a lock.

So where does that leave us?

First, Jackson wouldn’t be in the building if he’s not a serious candidate to be something. Since John Herrera said earlier today the Raiders have interviewed no head coaching candidates but have fielded calls from assistants, we’ll assume the reports about him being interviewed as a candidate for offensive coordinator are accurate.

Whether Jackson is under contract or not doesn’t matter much. The Ravens simply deny permission if he’s under contract, or perhaps they’ve already agreed in writing he could leave for a coordinator’s spot. He’s not here unless he’s available to be hired.

Jackson has considerable experience as an offensive coach. He coached running backs for the Redskins in 2001-02, was the Redskins offensive coordinator in 2003, coached wide receivers in Cincinnati from 2004-06 and was offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

With the Falcons, the line coach was Tom Cable. When Jackson was on the staff at Cal in 1996, Cable was the line coach.

Correction: Cable was with the Raiders in 2007. Jackson and Cable worked together only at Cal.

So it’s not a reach to think Jackson could be the new offensive brain-trust on a Cable-coached team. Or that Davis is at least examining the possibility.

In that scenario, if the Raiders were to again stumble out of the gate, Jackson could take over as head coach. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves, as we media-types are prone to do during yearly coaching searches.

As for all the Raiders denials about not talking to Fassel, Trestman, Harbaugh, etc., about the head coaching job?

In their favor is the fact they haven’t operated that way in the past, or at least since they returned to Oakland. The real “interviews” came after the head coach was fired.

On the other hand, every team in the NFL has ways of reaching out to prospective candidates should they dump their coach. That’s not the same as an interview. It’s more along the lines of, “In a hypothetical situation, if we fire our coach, are you interested or not?”

Every team has a front office to do those kinds of things. The Raiders? Not so much. Although it’s not impossible, I’m guessing if Davis wants to gauge the interest of someone like Jim Harbaugh, he calls himself, rather than having Mike Taylor or John Herrera do it.

And even those conversations leave a lot unsaid. Linebackers coach Don Martindale was convinced after a lengthy interview with Davis last season he was under consideration to be the head coach. The Raiders, by way of a Herrera statement after the fact, said he wasn’t.

Jon Gruden said he never remembers even being told he had the job. Lane Kiffin said he and Davis talked and the only thing he was asked is, “Well, do you like us?” Then he was taken away with lawyers to work out a contract.

The Raiders offered the job to Dallas assistant Sean Payton in 2004 and USC assistant coach Steve Sarkisian in 2007, only to flatly deny it when Norv Turner and Kiffin were hired. Even people who work in the building, when their guard is down, will admit as much.

So pick a side to believe and cross your fingers.

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Waufle hired by Raiders

The Oakland Raiders, still in limbo in terms of a head coach, have hired a new defensive line coach.

Mike Waufle, who has worked as an assistant with the New York Giants since 2004, was hired by the Raiders, according to a league source.

Waufle knows what he's stepping into -- he coached with the Raiders from 1998-2003. From 1992-97, he coached at the University of California.

Dwaine Board coached the Raiders' defensive line last season.

The fate of head coach Tom Cable is still undetermined. Raiders owner Al Davis and Cable have been scheduled to meet for more than two weeks, but no decision has been made about Cable's future.

Dec 2, 2006
i am assuming ole Al is retaining cable for another year. If this old fucker is seriously hiring coaches before his head coach the stadium is going to be empty next year. i'm telling you. real fans are fed up with this BULLSHIT! this is al telling everyone to fuck off.

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
yup, looks alot like past moves. Hires the assitant coaches HE wants not those that the HC would feel comfortable working with. Were goint to suck AGAIN! Why is it so HARD for AL to just play background....

Dec 2, 2006
reality is we are all speculating just like the media.lol. the only confirmed info is that jackson interviewed for the OC position. Him and Cable have worked together in the past. Cable could have endorsed dude and Al wants to interview him. no foul there. all coaches that have "supposedly" been asked about the head coaching position all deny the reports. puffing anyone?