**Oakland Raiders 2010 offseason Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 23, 2006
could be.. theres really nobody thats going to jump at the chance to coach a team with so many problems. who would want to come to coach a team that doesnt give them the freedom or authority they need to become successful..?

Cable deserves 1 more year IMO.. if he had a healthy Gradkowski the whole season instead of acouple games, we wouldve been 7-9. maybe even 8-8..
Yea huh nobody wants $$$$. any one would take that job with the quickness

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
i was thinking maybe the reason Al keeps pushing the meeting with cable back is because he hasnt found a replacement and dont wanna dude unless he know he got someone else to come in. whats ur thoughts?
I think so too. I think Cable wasn't the choice for this year either but Al just stuck with what he had since he couldn't land any other coach. I don't know if Cable is "our guy" but I'm tired of seeing head coaches come & go....someone needs to stick around

Oct 17, 2007
fuck i hope they dont get steve mauricho or watever the fuk his name is... even hethinks cable should stay with the team. FUK STEVE!

Mar 8, 2008
fuck Steve Hairycoochie, theres a reason why no team has picked him up, hes definitely not the one for the raiders..

Lombardi, J. Johnson, Holmgren, Dungy, Belichick, etc. etc. couldnt turn around this franchise.. not with that senile Cryptkeeper in the white jump suit still alive..

fuck Al..

Nov 12, 2002
www.MSMOfficial.com
Mariucci been out of tha NFL for whut 4 or 5 years?? tha game changes year to year....i dont think that would be a good move....I'm a fan of hiring Jim Fassel....I really think that Leslie Frazier (D Coordinator, Minn) is gonna be a good Head Coach...if nothing else we should give that dude a shot....maybe he could turn the D around....

but of course Al wont do that....hey maybe we can coax John Madden into coaching again...or maybe go find another local bed and breakfast to find a good Offensive Coordinator....that makes more sense for Al

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
I feel you on Leslie Frazier but Mooch has been studying the game since he left....He's still deeply rooted and understands whats going on in the NFL......He's like the Ron Jaworski of the NFL network....He can really break shit down......

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Mariucci been out of tha NFL for whut 4 or 5 years?? tha game changes year to year....i dont think that would be a good move....I'm a fan of hiring Jim Fassel....I really think that Leslie Frazier (D Coordinator, Minn) is gonna be a good Head Coach...if nothing else we should give that dude a shot....maybe he could turn the D around....

but of course Al wont do that....hey maybe we can coax John Madden into coaching again...or maybe go find another local bed and breakfast to find a good Offensive Coordinator....that makes more sense for Al
Mariucci still understands the game... obviously he hasn't coached for a few years... but he's an analyst on NFL Network... so you know he still studies the game very closely

Bill Cowher hasn't coached for a few years, yet everyone thinks he's a great candidate...

Mariuci was a good coach and he knows his shit... I watch him on NFL Network every weekend, and I can tell he still knows his shit

Leslie Frazier would be a great hire... but Al doesn't hire defensive coaches... so scratch that out

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
last I remeber Mariuch didnt do so hot with the Lions. At this point I dont know what is going through AL's head but I hope something happens soon cause this uncertant future shit sucks....

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
last I remeber Mariuch didnt do so hot with the Lions. At this point I dont know what is going through AL's head but I hope something happens soon cause this uncertant future shit sucks....
Who has done good with the LIONS?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Rob Ryan would be interested in Raiders job, if Al Davis fires Tom Cable
Oakland Tribune staff and wire report
Posted: 01/15/2010 01:31:41 AM PST
Updated: 01/15/2010 09:33:59 AM PST

If Al Davis decides to replace Tom Cable, there's a certain long-haired ex-Raiders assistant who'd love a chance to become Oakland's new head coach.

"Hell, yeah, I'd have interest," Rob Ryan told the USA Today for Friday's editions. "I haven't talked to Mr. Davis because he has a coach. Let's see what happens."

Ryan, currently the Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator, insisted he could duplicate the success of his brother Rex, who has led the New York Jets to the playoffs in his first season as their head coach.

"I will be a head coach in this league, and I will be damn successful, too," said Ryan, the the Raiders defensive coordinator from 2004-08. "There are a lot of good coaches out there, but there are only so many Ryans."

Ryan, 47, interviewed with Davis for the Raiders' head coaching job in January of 2007 that wound up going to Lane Kiffin. Kiffin led Oakland to a 5-15 record before Cable took over in 2008. Coupled with Oakland's 5-11 record this season, the Raiders are 9-18 under Cable's guidance.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Davis would like Ryan’s assessment of Russell

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, January 15th, 2010 at 7:07 am in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would love a second chance to interview for the Raiders head coaching job with Al Davis, according to the USA Today.

Ryan was careful not burn any bridges with the Raiders after moving on to Cleveland to be the defensive coordinator for Eric Mangini, speaking glowingly of Al Davis in the days leading up to the Browns-Raiders game in Week 16.

He also gave a review of JaMarcus Russell that might appeal to Davis.

“The backup QB (Russell) is the one I thought would be a superstar by now,” Ryan said. “He had that 77 rating his rookie year. I’m a little surprised he hasn’t become the superstar. I’m kind of hoping he doesn’t get in the game. That kid can throw it through a storm. I think the young man’s a good kid.”

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Brown gets Sirius on Raiders

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 at 2:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Transcription of an interview with Tim Brown by hosts Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on Sirius Satellite Radio:

Q: If you reached out to Al Davis, what would you tell Al about how to fix the Oakland Raiders?

Brown: I think it’s pretty simple, man. I think he really just needs a football guy in there to help him out. The one thing I tell people about Al Davis, there’s no doubt – and Rich, I’m sure, can vouch for this – Al Davis knows football. It’s not a matter of him not knowing football. I can remember even going back to my rookie year sitting at the Super Bowl with him in the booth, the great game when the 49ers came back and beat the Bengals, and he called that last drive play by play. And he kept asking me, ‘What do you think Timma,’ he calls me Timma, ‘What do you think on this play, Timma?’ And I would say, ‘Slant to Jerry Rice.’ [He’d say,] ‘No, they’re going to throw it to Roger Craig.’ Boom. And he went all the way down the field doing that.

That really convinced me that this guy knows football for sure.’ I think now what is happening is you have guys in the locker room that just don’t get it. They don’t understand. And certainly, the way the thing ended. I leave sort of unexpectedly. Jerry Rice wants out. Rich gets hurt. Jerry Porter wants out. Charles Woodson wanted out. You had a lot of guys trying to get out of the organization or leaving the organization unexpectedly. And that’s hard to do anytime you have veteran football players who have been great for the organization. When they get out like that, when they leave unexpectedly, it can be a very difficult thing to recover from. And I just don’t think they have recovered. They don’t have great veteran leadership and I think it’s very safe to say that. It’s a team that is talented but they just don’t have the leadership, I believe, to take them to the next level.

Q: Your evaluation of JaMarcus Russell?

Brown: When you look at JaMarcus, you know, the Raiders sort of called me unofficially before they drafted him and they asked me what did I think? And I told them then that I didn’t think this guy was a player. I thought it would take three to four years before he developed because I was at that LSU-Notre Dame game and I watched this guy intently warming up and throwing balls before the game and during the game and what I saw was not an NFL quarterback. It was a sandlot player, a guy who can go back there, pat the ball five times and then throw it with that velocity he has in his arm.

But, Rich, you know better than me, you don’t have five pats in the NFL. You’ve got about a pat and a half and then somebody’s about to take your head off. And when he tried to throw the ball on time it came out like a rocket. So I thought it would take significant time for this guy to develop how to drop back and throw the ball, a catchable ball that a receiver could maneuver and go on with. So I’m not surprised what has happened with him. You throw in the fact that, from what I hear, he doesn’t have the great work ethic that every quarterback has to have, that’s going to equal failure in the NFL any day of the week.

Q: Evaluation of Darrius Heyward-Bey?

Brown: When it comes to Heyward-Bey, I’ve seen Al do this several times. He had Sam Graddy, he had Alexander Wright, James Jett turned out to be a decent player for them, played 10 years and made some incredible plays, and I’m sure Al sees Heyward-Bey as being a guy who can do the same things. The only problem, what happened was they didn’t have a guy who was ‘the guy’ at the receiver position. If they would have had that then they could have hid him a little more and gave him a time to get right.

But being that they didn’t have that in place already, all the focus was on him and then all the other receivers that came out this year, you know, you have [Michael] Crabtree coming in very late and dwarfing Heyward-Bey’s numbers by so many. I think it just made it look like an even worse pick than everybody thought it was already. So I think this kid will develop into something. Obviously he has some talent but he really had some problems catching the ball. Watching him on television I think he really had some perception problems picking up the ball and until they get that straightened out I think it’s going to be long, long career for him.

Q: On wanting to work with young Raiders receivers:

Brown: I would love to do it and I’ve said that. I’ve reached out to them and said, ‘Hey, give me a couple days with this guy and I can give you a real assessment of where he is and we go from there.’ I’m on my way right now to work with a couple of young college guys, [Kansas WR] Dez Brisco and [Brandon] LaFell out of LSU. I would love to be able to pass on what God blessed me with to these younger guys but sometimes it’s a lot more difficult than we think it is.

Q: What’s the Raiders’ reaction when you say you want to work with these guys?

Brown: Well, you know, everybody says ok but the phone never rings. … I’m never going to step on anybody’s toes. I’ll throw the offer out there and I’m not asking to get paid for it or anything. I just don’t like, my name is so synonymous with the Raiders, that to hear people week in and week out dogging this organization, it’s very hurtful to me. It’s something that I have to deal with. So I have a vested interest in seeing this thing get turned around.