**Oakland Raiders 2010 offseason Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 8, 2008
from ESPN..

Al Davis' big old decision
Saturday, January 16, 2010 | Print Entry
There's still no final decision about whether Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis will keep or fire head coach Tom Cable. But those within the Raiders organization insist that Davis is keeping quarterback JaMarcus Russell. Davis believes Russell has too much talent to cut him loose, even if it means choosing him over Cable.

FML...

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
Report: Cable will stay in Oakland
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 23, 2010 8:16 PM ET
The speculation about Tom Cable's future in Oakland is over. We think.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Al Davis has decided to retain Cable for 2010, the final year of Cable's contract.

Raiders spokesman John Herrera did not confirm the news when contacted by Schefter, saying no decision has been made despite meetings into the night the last two days.

(We'll take the absence of any "false rumor monger" accusations as a positive for Cable.)

It remains to be seen if Cable will keep his playcalling duties, but there has been widespread speculation that he won't. Davis met with Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson about the team's offensive coordinator position.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
Diners Drive inns and Dives will have an episode tailgaiting with raiders fans tonight at 10pm on the food network.....

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like you Raider fans have a new Offensive Coordinator...wonder if it will help Jamarcus Russell since he's a QB coach also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4859138

Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who was scheduled to interview Tuesday in Chicago for the Bears' offensive coordinator job, will accept an offer to serve in that capacity for the Oakland Raiders, sources close to the situation tell ESPN.

Jackson interviewed with Raiders owner Al Davis last week and has had a desire to become an NFL offensive coordinator. His biggest project is expected to be working with Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, who has been a disappointment since Oakland selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in 2007.

Russell again struggled this season and was benched by coach Tom Cable for four of Oakland's final seven games.

Jackson's move now leaves the Ravens with an opening. Baltimore will have two primary options in hiring a quarterbacks coach; the first would be to promote offensive consultant Al Saunders, who has fared well in working with quarterbacks, and the other is to hire former Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn.

At the very least, the Ravens will interview Zorn for the position before making their decision about which coach would be best to work closely with quarterback Joe Flacco.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Hopefully Russell can be salvaged, but realistically so far this is shaping up to be another one of those seasons............and it's not even the superbowl yet :ermm:

Dec 2, 2006
hopefully this coach can get Russell on board. If the kid can come into camp in shape dont say i didnt tell you. As bad as Russell has been, it is still a year or two early to give up on him. he looked a little more decisive in the pocket the last time he played. he needs to work on his stone feet now and feeling pressure. i am actually looking forward to this year as long as Cable remains the head coach.

Nov 12, 2002
www.MSMOfficial.com
Jamarcus Russell is a less talented version of Byron Leftwich.....can't move....too long of a delivery....all tha arm strength in tha world isnt gonna help him.....

I would rather have Gradkowski and win 7-9 games than waste another year hoping Jamarcus Russell turns into something he'll never be

Dec 2, 2006
Jamarcus Russell is a less talented version of Byron Leftwich.....can't move....too long of a delivery....all tha arm strength in tha world isnt gonna help him.....

I would rather have Gradkowski and win 7-9 games than waste another year hoping Jamarcus Russell turns into something he'll never be
at this point i rather have grads start too.

but a less talented version of leftwich? i disagree there. JR has the talent just not the work ethic required to be successful in the NFL up to this point. I just hope he comes in around 260 and sheds another 10 pounds during minicamp and preseason.

Lets face it. He is not going anywhere yet...

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
gradkowski is fine as QB for you guys, but the problem with that, is nobody will be playing against the deep ball and you then become more predictable. So if you start Bruce, you need to be getting those super fast recievers time to make some plays after the catch.

I like DHB's speed and if I was the coach I would be doing my best to make him more comfortable and relaxed, let him take some kick returns, throw him some screens and easy/catchable balls, get him in space.

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
u also gotta take into consideration that "jawalrus" had to come into an organization that was in turmoil and had to learn from shmuck coaches! coaches that aint at that level!,..jackson is the type of coach that will make russ leave his head phones and pretty fancy earrings in the locker room and come out and play his ass off!...i feel russ is finally gonna get a more or less good coach to work with him! which is wut we needed!..also jackson has experiance coaching wide recievers and running backs!!..all we need to do now is get some good o-line protection and beef up our d just a lil more and just decide if it will be bruce or russ come opening day,..and its a wrap!

die hard!

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
HERES SOMETHING I RAN INTO TODAY!,..WUT Y'ALL THINK?!...

OAKLAND RAIDERS MOCK DRAFT!!!........

Okay, Raiders fans, let’s step away from the coaching drama where absolutely nothing is happening and get into a little bit of premature draft talk while our media comrades discuss how much they want the current staff, including Al Davis to be out of Oakland as soon as possible.

Just one question folks…Are you ready to talk some football?

In here, there are a few All-Americans covering some much needed positions for the Oakland Raiders.

It is a list of very talented athletes that it took a lot of research and effort to come up with so please try to be kind with your criticisms. ;-)

While we all will be on the lookout for the most recent Oakland coaching news this afternoon, I hope we can all take some time to enjoy this article and let it give us some hope for the future.

In beginning my research on the topic, I was surprised to learn that Oakland had such a good number of draft choices. It includes a 3rd and a 5th round draft choice that was received from the Patriots in the trade for Derrick Burgess. That turned out to be a really good deal, because very few of us missed Burgess.

Fortunately for Raiders fans, the Patriots didn’t do as well as some people expected and the picks are going to give us good balance in positioning to make some nice moves in the 2010 draft.

They could also give us some trade bait if, I don’t know, we really wanted to move up and get a guy like…say…Ndamukong Suh…or somebody like that.

Obviously I know the draft will not go this way. It will likely not go anywhere near this prediction. Perhaps I can get one pick right?

However, many things stand in my way. The basis of my article, however, is to give some insight into the direction that I think the team should go when they do start selecting in late April. Keeping in mind that I believe in the idea of drafting an OT with our first pick is admitting that Mario Henderson is not the answer at Left Tackle. I do not agree that Mario is not left tackle material, he was much better with Gallery to the right of him.

The positions are the ones I think the team needs to draft. The players I selected are players who I believe are some of the best talent available for the draft positions.

So without further lecture, let’s get started!

P.S. if you wish to look up some college players for your own mock draft, I would highly recommend this site: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/

Round One Pick 8

Rolando McClain, MLB Alabama 6’4” 258 lbs.

• Midseason Sporting News All-American
• Buktus Award winner
• Lombardi Award winner
• Bednarik Award winner
• SEC Defensive Player of the Week (UK)
• Lead team with over 100 tackles -Five straight games with at least seven tackles

I’m a firm believer that if McClain is still on the board when Oakland picks, it would be a very stupid move not to grab him. Middle linebackers like this guy do not grow on trees, and I’m not sure anyone like him has ever laced up a set of shoes at the position in the NFL. He is the Ray Lewis that the Oakland Raiders need.

Rolando McClain anchors and deep and talented linebacker corps that has helped the Crimson Tide rank fourth nationally in total defense (242.22 ypg) and second in rush defense (68.22). Alabama held their opponents to under one hundred yards rushing eight times in 2009 with McClain in the middle of the defense.

McClain was responsible for all on-field audibles and defensive calls. He was proclaimed a midseason All-American by Sporting News. With 32 starts over his three seasons at the Capstone, McClain has a team-best 66 tackles in his nine starts in 2009.

Third on the team with seven tackles for loss and had two sacks with two interceptions. He was named the defensive player of the week by the UA coaching staff six times in the first nine games last season. McClain was named the Bronko Nagurski Award National Defensive Player of the Week following the Kentucky game.

Round Two Pick No. 39

Jon Asamoah, G, Illinois 6’5” 315 lbs.

Asamoah was named second-team All-Big Ten by both coaches and media. The Illinois' rushing offense ranked 18th in the NCAA and second in the Big Ten this season. Jon was named to the National Football Foundation's 16-man Scholar-Athlete team. He earned CoSIDA first-team Academic All-District honors. Asamoah was named first-team All-Big Ten by Phil Steele Magazine and Academic All-Big Ten.

He started 37 consecutive games at guard on an offense that rushed for 300 or more yards on three occasions this year. Jon helped the Illini to 331 rushing yards and 548 total yards in the season finale against Fresno State. Aided the Illini offense in racking up 476 yards of total offense and Juice Williams' 282-yard passing performance at No. 5 Cincinnati. He was part of an offense that lead a 250-yard passing and four offensive touchdown performance in win over Minnesota.

In addition, he is rumored to have the fastest 40- yard dash time among all the offensive lineman and with a name like Asamoah, he’s got to have some game. That name is too close to Asomugha to not come with some game.

Round Three Pick No. 69

Kyle Wilson, CB, 5’10” 186 lbs. Boise State

Kyle was named first-team All-WAC cornerback and second-team all-conference punt returner. He was named Boise State’s co-Special Teams Player of the Year by vote of teammates. He was named to Phil Steele Publications’ All-WAC first team on defense and was a second-team selection as punt returner.

Kyle led Boise State with five interceptions, 10 pass breakups and 15 passes defended which tied for 18th best in nation. The five picks also tied for second in WAC and tied for 28th in nation. Wilson had two key interceptions in win at Oregon.

He recorded 35 tackles, 26 of which were unassisted, while returning 33 punts for 470 yards and three touchdowns. His 14.2 average yards per return was second in WAC and 12th in nation. He had a ninety-yard return against Fresno State was fourth-longest in Boise State history and a 79-yard return against Idaho that was fifth-longest. The other TD return was for 71 yards against New Mexico State. All three TD returns were in November. That means he gets better as the season goes on.

Wilson finished the season with the most punt returns for touchdowns in the nation and was named WAC Special Teams Player of Week in final week of season after piling up 136 yards on three punt returns against Fresno State. His current streak of 31 consecutive starts is longest active streak on team. He was named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List.

Round Three Pick No. 85 (From New England)

Vladimir Ducasse UMASS OT 6’5” 330 lbs.

• Senior captain left tackle
• 2009 Consensus Preseason First-Team All-American.
• 2009 Preseason All-CAA pick by Coaches and Phil Steele.
• In his 35 career starts, UMass has had a 100-yard rusher in 23 of those games. In his 35 games, UMass has allowed just 39 sacks.
• UMass allowed 17 sacks (1.4 per game), 38th in the NCAA, and third in CAA.
• UMass had a 100-yard rusher in seven games this season

A native of Haiti, Vladimir is an incredibly hard-working player who comes to work every day with a purpose to get better individually to make the overall team better according to Coach Morris. He has improved to become an offensive leader and a high-level player with a big upside.

Ducasse is a true senior who was a starter as a freshman. He is diverse and can also play guard, where he played early in his career. He was the team's top offensive line recruit in 2006. Vladimir is a large offensive lineman and great athlete who has done extensive work with Offensive Coordinator Brian Picucci to improve his game and has reportedly reached that next level.

Round Four Pick No. 103

Torrell Troup, DT, Central Florida, 6’3” 314 lbs.

Troup was voted onto the All-Conference USA 2nd team in 2009. “Coaches look at stats instead of looking at everything else on tape, and I think Torrell got caught up in that,” UCF head coach George O'Leary said. "I think he's the reason those other guys that made first team made it. There were two guys on him all the time.”

He had 12.5 tackles for loss, totaling 52 tackles with 30 of them coming solo. Troup started his college career at 345 lbs., but slimmed down to his current playing weight of 314 lbs. over his four seasons. Troup is considered to be the heart of the UCF football team and could be their hardest player to replace in the off-season.

“I think he is a very unselfish player that works at the game and has a great sense of responsibility and accountability to do what needs to be done to win,” said coach O’Leary.

He is a strong student, football player, and leader with a bright NFL future.

Round 5 pick No. 134

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (DII), 6’1” 205 lbs.

Born in Ghana, Africa, Akwasi suffered a torn labrum in his right shoulder in the final game of the season. In spite of the injury, however, Owusu-Ansah has a four year body of work that has garnered him some national attention.
Various websites rank him as a 2nd to 4th round draft choice this year, but I’m reaching out and saying that teams will pass on him, as he is unlikely to be able to lace up his cleats at the NFL combine in February.

But that hasn’t stopped Al Davis from knowing a steal when he sees one before. Take the ’07 4th round pick Michael Bush for an example. If Akwasi is here early in the fifth round Al Davis may trade up to get him.

He is one of those underrated players from a small school who could do big things as a pro. Davis could see him as a potential shut-down cornerback to play opposite of Nnmadi Asomugha in his man-to-man defense.

In addition to his coverage skills, he has scored nine return touchdowns in his college career, including three kickoffs and four punts. “Nobody can argue about his height, nobody can argue about his weight, and nobody can argue about his speed,” said IUP head coach Lou Tepper.

Round 5 pick No. 156 (From New England)

Chris Hall, Center, Texas, 6’4” 298 lbs.

Hall was named a 2009 third-team All-American by the associated Press. He is a 2009 AFCA coaches All-American as well. Chris is a four-time Academic All-Big 12. He is a four-time member of the Texas Athletic Director’s honor roll and an active member in the school’s community service program.

The fifth year senior started 35 games for the Longhorns in his college career. He was a finalist for the Remington Award (NCAA’s Best Center) for the second straight season. Hall is the offensive line’s signal caller in the nation’s third ranked scoring offense.

Hall started at all five positions on the O-Line for Texas during his sophomore year at Texas until finding a home at center late in that same year.

Hall has issues in one-on-one situations, like when he faced Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy and even against other defensive tackles. Quicker tackles are said to be able to shed him quickly and get to the next level. But in Oakland, there are a lot of 3-4 defenses in the division, so he could be a value pick for the Raiders late in the fifth round.

Round Seven Pick No. 200

QB Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic, 6’5” 230 Lbs.

• 2008 Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year
• Two time SBC Player of the Week.
• Palm Beach County Amateur Athlete of the Year • 2007 Sun Belt Player of the Year
• Mid-Season Phil Steele's Second-Team All-Sun Belt Conference Selection
• Four-Time SBC Offensive Player of the Week
• New Orleans Bowl MVP (2008)
• 21st nationally in passing efficiency (141.63, 2007)
• 29th nationally in total offense (274.77, 2007) • Team was No. 16 in passing offense

Rusty Smith is three year starter and, in my opinion, a highly underrated quarterback who could become the next guy talked about as that guy who was drafted late and showed up big time for his NFL team.

He suffered a sprained AC joint in his non-throwing shoulder in November, but his coach, Howard Schellenberger intends on bringing the big quarterback with him when he coaches in the Texas versus the Nation game in February so that attending NFL scouts can get a look at the quarterback.

Smith is the most decorated player in the history of the FAU program. It is the same program that produced fan-favorite MLB Frantz Joseph. Smith started 36 consecutive games for FAU and is the Sun Belt conferences all-time leader in career and single season passing yardage as well as touchdown passes, throwing for over 10,000 yards and 76 touchdowns in his career.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Yeah we need that middle linebacker.... that dude sounds pretty deep. Hopefully he's there when we pick and we pick him. Morrison is cool but we need our version of Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis....

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Taken from an article:

But Jackson sounded ready for the challenge of coaching Russell, who was benched during the season while Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye started in his place.

"No question," Jackson said. "This guy was the first player drafted (in 2007). It is going to be fun to see if we can get him up and playing the way we all wish that he could perform. But it's not just about JaMarcus. ... It's the whole offensive unit that's got to perform well around the quarterback, period."