Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
agree he could be a threat, he was a sav at penn state. but on the other side of things shaun hill is in beast mode so why try somethin crazy risky when shaun hill will get the job done without turning over the ball.

if they do try it, timing will be key of the playcall - obviously like all playcalling. but itd have to be a situation where we could afford to risk it. but doing it in a situation like the rams where there isnt really any reward would just tip our hat and show other teams a trick up our sleeve.

the other thing is, spurlock was a qb too. so it was sorta a battle for the z-ray option thrower in camp already.

right now with gore hurt, a 3rd rb would be nice. but if everybody was healthy the 3rd rb isnt gonna get much glory, unless he returns kicks and punts. that could be the best scenario.

my main reason for defending robinson tho is because of the hate being thrown at him. hating a dude because he does several things well... but isnt a freak coming for the number 1 slot? the hate is also doubting samurai mike's judgement on what he feels he needs.

so really how can you doubt a coach that only wants winners and is very vocal about it? and how can you doubt the soon to be coach of the year?

i think itd be nice to have a 4th hb, like sheets. but then where do we make a cut? tough decisions but i'm confident in Sing to make the right choice most of the time.

heres another idea, work on vernon rushing. he's done it with us before a couple times. or delanie walker, he has more carrying experience returning kicks.

Feb 23, 2004
good read on are future QB... GOT THIS FROM 49ERSNEWS.COM

Dispelling Nate Davis Myths: What Every Niner Fan Should Know

Tony Farmer | Sep 26, 2009 | Comments 7

Nate Davis fever swept through San Francisco during the preseason as 49er fans were pleasantly surprised with Davis’ ability to lead his team in two back-to-back wins. There is plenty to be excited about with Davis, but it has nothing to do with the preseason.

As a Ball State graduate whose time at the school happened to coincide with Davis’ and as a student lucky enough to get torched by Davis in a game of pickup ball, I am more biased than Fox News. But I also know a few things about San Francisco’s third string quarterback that most outside of Muncie, IN are completely unaware of as they allow the talking heads on television to think for them.

Myth 1: Nate Davis will never be an NFL star because of his learning disability.

In the fourth game of his final collegiate season, Davis lost senior wide receiver Dante Love to a career-ending injury against Indiana. Now, if you think Frank Gore is a big part of the 49ers offense, dig up tape on the 2007-2008 Ball State football games and you‘ll think differently. Coaches will tell you between 70 percent of the plays in Ball State’s playbook were either designed for Love or fakes to Love, who also lined up at running back, kick returner, and punt returner.

Some say Davis has a hard time picking up playbooks, and that may be true, but you couldn’t tell in October and November when Davis was lighting up the scoreboard with Love’s replacement, a true freshman.

And speaking of Davis’ weapons in college, they had more drops than AOL dialup. As someone who watched each of Davis’ collegiate snaps, I can’t tell you how many times someone dropped a touchdown and then the Cardinals ended up running it in for a touchdown. In other words, the 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions Davis posted in his senior season could have looked a lot sexier if he had better receiving options.

The playbook issue has been overblown bigger than Terrell Owens’ ego. Nate Davis is not stupid. He has a learning disability which doesn’t equate to a lack of intellect. In the 1960s homosexuality was considered a disease by doctors and we’ve come a long way since then. Today, there are stereotypes for those with learning disabilities thanks to a lack of understanding (which, ironically COULD be contributed to a lack of intelligence). Nate could have kept his disability a secret, but he knows that as long as the playbook is in pictures, his learning disability will impact his play about as much as Michael Vick’s herpes.

Myth 2: Nate Davis has no shot because he played inferior collegiate competition.

This one makes my blood boil, but there’s a silver lining because it’s a dead give away that you’re talking to someone who is clueless.

In his first year, Davis posted solid numbers in limited action (he split time) against three Big-10 opponents (Indiana, Michigan, Purdue). Two touchdowns, one interception, and 391 yards on 31-of-54 passes fresh out of high school. His sophomore season on the road against No. 24 Nebraska, Davis nearly shocked the world (BSU lost on missed FG as time expired) after he tossed three touchdowns and 422 yards, ran for 57 yards and a touchdown, and added a nine-yard reception for good measure. Six weeks later Davis threw for 332 yards against the 6-4 Hoosiers.

Say what you want about the Mid American Conference (MAC), but it’s not like Davis would be the first MAC quarterback to make an impact in the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, and Chad Pennington are all starting (Charlie Frye was recently) and have proved that a MAC quarterback can transition smoothly into the NFL.

Myth 3: Nate Davis’ mechanics will prevent him from being an NFL star.

If mechanics made NFL stars, Mr. Goodwrench would be starting for the Raiders. Have you seen Philip Rivers throw a pass? Just watch a Chargers game as if you were an NFL scout seeing Rivers for the first time and ask yourself if you’d be more concerned with that delivery or the fact that Nate throws the ball with gloves and without laces. Again, trust your own eyes, not the mouth of someone on television who researches box scores and thinks people with learning disabilities are inferior.

Myth 4: Nate Davis lost the two most important games of his college career, he can’t win a big game.

I could make excuses and focus on the report from the Indianapolis Star which said Davis was battling flu-like symptoms in those two games which made his draft stock drop like Martha Stewart was selling it. Instead, I think it’s fair to focus on Davis’ big games at Ball State in which he was healthy.

The aforementioned road game against IU when Love got hurt, was the first time Ball State beat a BCS conference school and was a huge game against an in-state rival. The Cardinals didn’t beat Nebraska in 2007, but Davis had nothing to do with the missed field goal at the end and his 400 yard/four touchdowns were more than enough to beat the 24th ranked team in the country. The 2008 win on the road last year against CMU (9-2), which received several top-25 votes, was a big win the week before Davis capped off an undefeated regular season with another big win. In fact, in Muncie Indiana, every win was big when a team like Ball State had a target on its back because of its top-25 ranking.

So, with Nate Davis the Cardinals notched a top-25 ranking and had one of the most successful seasons in school history. A year later with Davis dawning red and gold, his alma matter is 0-3 with losses to New Hampshire, North Texas, and Army. You can’t attribute all of that to Davis’ departure, but it sure is telling.

Fact: Davis was groomed by some of the same folks who groomed Tom Brady.

Davis’ head coach at Ball State was Brady Hoke (he recruited Brady) and Stan Parrish, Davis’ offensive coordinator directly coached Brady. So what do they have to say about Davis‘ future? Journalist Jason Whitlock, who once said Davis “looks like the second coming of Brett Favre” claims Parrish and Hoke said Davis has the tools to be better than Tom Brady. That’s worth repeating because nobody knows Davis’s football talent better than these two men who also coached Brady. They feel Nate Davis has the tools to be BETTER than Tom Brady. I don’t know about that, but for a 5th round pick on a team searching for a franchise quarterback since the Steve Young era, 49er fans will settle for the second coming of Ben Roethlisberger.

Apr 25, 2002
my main reason for defending robinson tho is because of the hate being thrown at him. hating a dude because he does several things well... but isnt a freak coming for the number 1 slot? the hate is also doubting samurai mike's judgement on what he feels he needs.
Save the hate talk. Just because I'm not praising him doesn't mean I'm hating on him. Everything I've ever said about the man is the truth. Speaking the truth is not hating.

I don't have to be a homer and talk about how he's such a threat just because he's a Niner. He's clearly proven he is not a threat on offense. He is good on special teams, which is nice, but that type of player is not hard to come by. The problem with him is he is not good at the position he was given. It's not his fault, it's the team's fault for placing him there.

It wasn't Singletary that drafted him and it was quite obvious Coach wasn't satisfied with Robinson as a backup to Gore, that's exactly why Glen Coffee was drafted as well as Kory Sheets when Foster was released. It's known amongst Niner fans that Robinson is only on the squad for special teams purposes.

Of course, the offensive packages are called by Jimmy Raye, NOT Coach Singletary, and HE is the one who is calling the shots whenever you see Michael Robinson on offense. I have absolutely no problem doubting Jimmy Raye, as he has given me many reasons so far this season.

BaySickBrian said:
so really how can you doubt a coach that only wants winners and is very vocal about it? and how can you doubt the soon to be coach of the year?
See above.

BaySickBrian said:
i think itd be nice to have a 4th hb, like sheets. but then where do we make a cut?
This is exactly why I'm talking about Robinson. He gets a lot of love from a lot of Niner fans, but what exactly has he done? I know he works hard, has a big heart, big fight and a desire to win, but none of that translates into production at his given position. Like I said, special teams aces are great to have, but there's a reason that EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has a few of their own. They're simply not that hard to come by. Keith Lewis was a special teams ace and they flat out released him because he was of no use to the defense and he didn't return kicks. The only difference between Lewis and Robinson is Robinson returns kicks, albeit not very well.

I'm not saying Robinson is worthless, but what I am saying is we can do better. Gore is hurt at the moment, so if Coffee goes down we have absolutely no rushing game whatsoever because we'll have to rely on Michael Robinson.

So don't get me wrong, I support the guy whenever he's on the field for the simple fact he is a Niner. That doesn't mean I'm gonna sit around a praise his rushes for no gain, 1- and 2-yards. If he happens to make a play, I cheer him on just like I would Frank Gore, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna change my thoughts on his abilities. The only guy I never supported was Zak Keasey, who is an absolute joke. But at the same time, that absolute joke likely would have made the team had he not been injured during preseason because he is also a pretty good special teamer. And had he made it, a guy like Ahmad Brooks would have likely been cut.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
It wasn't Singletary that drafted him and it was quite obvious Coach wasn't satisfied with Robinson as a backup to Gore, that's exactly why Glen Coffee was drafted as well as Kory Sheets when Foster was released.

i never said robinson was great at rushing, but his arm is def a threat. and hes a great receiving back, which is a threat. i'm very happy we got coffee, i wanted to have a nice 2nd back the last couple years. deshaun "the snail" foster was never that guy.

anyways, instead of talking about the 3rd rb michael robinson for 4 more pages, lets murder the falcons and talk about that.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Everything goes wrong for 49ers
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_13542092?nclick_check=1

Midway through the first quarter, coach Mike Singletary had seen enough. He called a timeout, gathered every player around him and let loose with a speech hot enough to melt the numbers off their uniforms.

All it got him was more frustration.

On the first play after the pep talk, Roddy White slipped behind the 49ers' defense for a 31-yard touchdown catch.

Singletary kept on shouting — at his players, at the officials, at Falcons guard Harvey Dahl — but the blistering words never slowed the Atlanta Falcons during their 45-10 victory Sunday.

The 35-point margin represented the 49ers' worst home loss since 1967, when the team was still playing at Kezar Stadium. It also raised questions about the 49ers' place in the NFC hierarchy.

After entering the game on a 3-1 high, they unraveled in a total team defeat. Shaun Hill posted a season-low 45.7 passer rating, and the heralded defense allowed 329 passing yards to Matt Ryan and a franchise-record 210 receiving yards to White.

With a bye week, the 49ers have two weeks to stew in the juices of the most lopsided loss of Singletary's coaching tenure.

As linebacker Takeo Spikes said: "Whatever could go wrong, it did times two."

On this day, the 49ers did everything wrong, including the things they did right. Cornerback Dre' Bly intercepted a pass in the third quarter and decided to showboat on his way to the end zone. He put his hand behind his head as if to say, "Hear that?"

But as Bly preened with his right hand, he carried the ball carelessly in his left. White roared from behind to knock the ball loose for a fumble, and the Falcons had the ball right back.

Bly's premature celebration was curious. The 49ers trailed 35-10 at the time.

"I'm going to be me. That's who I've been," Bly said. "I like to have fun when I play the game. When I make plays — I've made a lot — I express myself. "... Dre' is going to be Dre'. I felt like I had the ball tucked at the time, and (White) made a great play."

After feasting on the NFC West, the 49ers were eager for a chance to prove themselves against a top playoff contender. Instead, they bumbled from the start: Joe Nedney sent the opening kickoff out of bounds. Over the next few opening minutes, Hill threw his second interception of the season, Michael Turner scored the first rushing touchdown against the 49ers in 2009, and linebacker Parys Haralson drew two penalty flags.

That's why Singletary signaled for a timeout with 6:39 to play for one of his full-volume speeches.

"It was, 'Wake up and play 49ers football,' " recalled center Eric Heitmann. "We weren't getting it done, and we had to correct it."

Singletary's fire-and-brimstone timeouts have worked before. But this time it backfired in more ways than one.

For one, Atlanta immediately struck with the touchdown pass to White. For another, the 49ers later found themselves in need of a timeout when officials appeared to rule incorrectly that Delanie Walker fumbled a kickoff return.

With no timeouts remaining, the 49ers could not challenge the ruling. Instead, the Falcons kept the ball and capitalized on the terrific field position. Turner, who had three touchdowns, capped a three-play drive with a 3-yard run, putting the game out of reach at 28-10 with 5:40 to play in the half.

The rout was on.

"Our confidence isn't shaken. Our bubble isn't burst," Hill said. "We knew coming in as a 3-1 team that we weren't all the way there. We know that it's a 16-game season, and we have to improve every week. That's not going to change."

Hill, who had been 7-0 in his starts at Candlestick Park, completed 15 of 38 passes for 198 yards. He scrambled all day, rushing for 53 yards because nothing else was open. At times, TV cameras caught him screaming in frustration.

"I wasn't agitated at my teammates or the plays, I was agitated with myself," Hill said. "When you lose a game like this, you have to look at the quarterback first."

The 49ers stuck around, but only briefly. Rookie Glen Coffee scored from 2 yards for his first career touchdown, and Nedney hit a 39-yard field goal with 11:07 to play in the second quarter to get the 49ers within 14-10. They had a chance to go ahead moments later when safety Michael Lewis recovered a fumble at the Falcons' 33-yard line.

But Hill was sacked on third-and-seven, putting the 49ers out of field-goal range and snuffing what would prove to be the 49ers' last hope. On the Falcons' next series, White caught a short pass in front of cornerback Nate Clements and outran him for a 90-yard touchdown.

The Falcons had more than twice as many first downs (28-13) and outgained the 49ers in yards 477-279.

Now the 49ers have two weeks to heal — mentally and physically — before trying again Oct. 25 at Houston.

"I don't believe in setbacks," Coffee said. "There are bumps in the road, and there are things that can slow you down, but there are no such things as setbacks. You can always take something away from a loss. You can always improve."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Sanders says agent was source of earlier Crabtree revelations
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13541644

With the Michael Crabtree contract finally signed, Deion Sanders opened up Sunday about his connection to the 49ers' first-round draft pick and the prolonged negotiations.

Sanders said on the NFL Network, where he works as an analyst, that he was "very confused" that there are now tampering allegations surrounding Crabtree. On Sept. 4, Sanders created a stir when he said on the air that two teams were willing to trade for Crabtree and pay him a huge contract.

The 49ers have since filed tampering charges against the New York Jets.

On Sunday, however, Sanders said he had simply repeated information from agent Eugene Parker, who had heard it from the 49ers themselves.

"Eugene Parker told me. That was my source,'' Sanders said. "Eugene Parker told me that the San Francisco 49ers told him there were two teams that would trade for Crabtree, but guess what? (The 49ers were) not going to trade him."

Sanders, a Parker client during his playing days as well as a friend of Crabtree's, said the NFL has not contacted him during its investigation into tampering charges. If the league does, "I would tell the truth, like I'm doing now,'' Sanders said. "The truth wins."

Sanders also said during the September segment that "two teams" would pay Crabtree and "if you think you could get $40 (million), why would you take $20 (million)?"

Sanders clarified Sunday that he had no such firsthand information. "No, no,'' he said. "If a team is willing to make a trade for you, common sense (says) they know what you want. "... That's why I said if a team is going to trade for him, they're going to pay him. That's common sense."

Crabtree signed a six-year deal with $17 million guaranteed Wednesday but did not play in the 45-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The 49ers hope to have him ready after the bye week, Oct. 25 against the Houston Texans.

In response to the latest Sanders interview, the 49ers issued a statement:

"We're thrilled that Michael Crabtree signed earlier this week and the 49ers will continue to move forward.

"In terms of the tampering case, it is a league matter and we will not comment further."

# In a situation that will be monitored closely, strong safety Michael Lewis left Sunday's game with a concussion early in the third quarter. Lewis suffered two concussions during the preseason, and multiple concussions have become one of the most scrutinized injuries in the NFL.

"Once again, this whole concussion thing is new to everybody,'' 49ers coach Mike Singletary said. "I think we have to continue to evaluate and look at it for what it is and go from there."

Lewis' helmet smacked hard against running back Michael Turner during a third-quarter tackle.

# Falcons coach Mike Smith loved Roddy White's 90-yard touchdown catch but not the awkward celebration. The receiver tried to do a full body flip in the end zone but succeeded only in drawing a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"If he hits the landing, it's not a 15-yard penalty. I told him that if he's going to do that, he's got to give it the full Olga,'' White said. "He looked at me like he doesn't know who Olga Korbut is. So then I told him Mary Lou Retton, and he doesn't know who Mary Lou Retton is."

With 210 receiving yards, White broke the Falcons franchise record of 198 set by Terance Mathis in 1998.

# Even trailing by an impossible margin, Singletary called three timeouts to stop the clock over the final 1:45.

"We may lose the game, but if I got three timeouts, I'm going to take every hit I can get — every one of them,'' Singletary said.

# Running back Glen Coffee suffered a left-leg contusion late in the game. X-rays revealed no break, a team spokesman said. Also on the injury report were right tackle Adam Snyder (left thigh) and defensive tackle Ray McDonald (left ankle).

Feb 12, 2004
After watching Singletary's press conference it made me feel a little bit better. He said something along the lines of "i'm not going to apologize to the fans, but this is a special team. And this will be a special year."

Anyways, fuuuuuuuuuuck! 2 weeks until the next game!! :dead::dead::dead::dead:

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Rossum released to activate Crabtree.

Ulbrich being evaluated today at Standford to see wheather he will play football again or hang 'em up after his concussion.

Lewis will be following suit in the next few days.

2 guys we can't and hopefully don't loose.

If we can trade a 2nd and 4th or 3rd & 5th for a quality lineman then wtf are we waiting for?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Fuck.... losing Michael Lewis would be a HUGE blow to the defense, cuz then Roman would probably be starting at SS.... god dammit........ i want fuckin roman cut, bly is still ok in my book, 1 mistake, Roman makes 1 after another, and tries to put blame on others.... fuckin A......