Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers rank among top teams but still trying to ignite offence
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_49ers_offence-052275323&prov=capress&type=lgns
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The San Francisco 49ers have taken early command of first place in the NFC West despite an offence that ranks among the worst in the NFL.

It's no secret where the team needs to improve entering Sunday's key NFC matchup against the Atlanta Falcons, a game that will take the 49ers to their bye week.

"We have to take a step as an offence, and we need for it to happen pretty soon," quarterback Shaun Hill(notes) said Monday. "We're obviously not to the point we need to be. But it's nice to come in after a win and have a film to look at where you can learn a lot."

Despite being shut out offensively in the first half and finishing the game with just 228 total yards, the 49ers rolled to a 35-0 win over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday, San Francisco's most lopsided victory in 87 games

The 49ers scored two touchdowns on defence and another on special teams to improve to 3-1 and sweep through the first round of divisional play at 3-0. San Francisco beat defending NFC West champion Arizona in Week 1 and Seattle in Week 2.

But the power rushing attack San Francisco expected to carry its offence has not quite materialized through the first quarter of the season. The 49ers have averaged just 77 yards rushing and 237 total yards per game since star running back Frank Gore(notes) was injured on his first carry against Minnesota on Sept. 27.

Gore, who was third among the NFL's leading rushers when he was hurt, won't return until after the bye week. The 49ers are striving for better balance in his absence.

Coach Mike Singletary has often stated his intention to run the ball first and foremost. Now he's looking for more from his passing game as Hill continues to settle in as the team's starter.

"I've said from the beginning that we want to be able to run the ball when we have to run the ball," Singletary said. "So far, we haven't been able to do that. But I think people interpret what I said previously, thinking I want to be three yards and a cloud of dust. That's not me and that's not what I want. I want to have a balanced offence, and the goal is to have a balance and do both."

The 49ers have stuck with their running game even when it had minimal success the past two weeks. Rookie Glen Coffee(notes) had 54 yards rushing on 25 carries after replacing Gore at Minnesota and was contained for 74 yards on 24 carries against St. Louis. San Francisco hasn't had a rushing touchdown since Week 2.

But Hill has passed for four touchdowns the past two weeks and continues to produce when given an opportunity to throw. He ranks sixth among NFC quarterbacks with a passer rating of 93.3.

Hill has been at his best in the clutch. He ranks third among the NFL's leading quarterbacks in both third-down passing and fourth-quarter passing.

Hill has attempted more than 26 passes in a game just once so far this season.

"Each game plays out differently, and my job is just to be effective any time my number is called," Hill said. "I need to be effective no matter what we're doing."

Hill has thrown three touchdown passes the past two weeks to tight end Vernon Davis(notes), who has emerged as the top target in San Francisco's passing game.

Davis leads the 49ers with 17 catches for 211 yards, but no San Francisco wide receiver ranks among the league's top 50 in receptions. Starting wideouts Isaac Bruce(notes) and Josh Morgan(notes) have combined for 22 catches.

"We're still growing as an offence," Davis said. "I'd love for us to throw a lot and I love running routes and catching the ball, but you can't argue with what (offensive co-ordinator) Jimmy Raye has been coming up with. We're winning."

Despite ranking 28th in the league in total yards, the 49ers rank ninth with 105 points scored. They have outscored opponents 55-24 in the second half and 31-10 in the fourth quarter.

"We're making the plays when we need to, and that's when it counts," Davis said. "When we need some points, we have to put them up and that's what we've been doing. We still have things to work on and sort out on offence, but when we get down those little things, we're going to be that much better."

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
From the article above: "Hill has been at his best in the clutch. He ranks third among the NFL's leading quarterbacks in both third-down passing and fourth-quarter passing."

That's pretty damn good considering their 0-11 3rd down conversions against the Vikings lol

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Singletary assesses O-line
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/06/SP7L1A1E45.DTL

In talking about the play of his offensive line a day after the 49ers routed the Rams 35-0, coach Mike Singletary praised center Eric Heitmann, said left tackle Joe Staley is maturing and getting better, and alternating right tackles Adam Snyder and Tony Pashos "did a pretty solid job."

That leaves left guard David Baas and right guard Chilo Rachal out of the praise party. In fact, they were the only two players Singletary said did not play well in the game as both men gave up sacks.

"They did not play up to par," Singletary said. "We'll get to the bottom of it and figure it out. We have to have the whole offensive line in sync."

Singletary said he will sit down with offensive line coach Chris Foerster to determine what the problems are. He said a change in the starting lineup is possible. Tony Wragge would be the logical choice to replace either Baas or Rachal.

"Hopefully, we're able to work it out," Singletary said.

Singletary said Heitmann's play at center has been exemplary.

Quarterback Shaun Hill was sacked four times and hit at least six times by the Rams and said afterward he felt like he had been in an NFL game. On Monday, he said he felt pretty good despite all the hits.

Key stat: At the end of the 2008 season, the 49ers were tied for last in the league in turnover margin at minus-17. It's axiomatic that bad teams commit turnovers and good teams take care of the old pelota.

Through four games this season, the 49ers are tied for fourth with Minnesota in the NFL in turnover margin at plus-5. Only Green Bay (plus-7), Denver (7) and New Orleans (7) have better numbers.

"When you turn the ball over, it is a formula for disaster," Singletary said. "The best thing we did is protect the football."

Injury report: Singletary said running back Frank Gore (ankle) and safety Reggie Smith (groin) again will be out this week. From the Rams game, linebacker Jeff Ulbrich sustained a concussion and linebacker Marques Harris strained a hamstring.

So that's why: Kick returner Allen Rossum was a healthy inactive Sunday in order for the 49ers to activate linebacker Ahmad Brooks. Singletary wanted Brooks available in order for outside linebackers Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson to get an occasional rest.

Brooks had only one tackle, but it was for a 1-yard loss. He sliced in from the outside to nail running back Samkon Gado.

Aug 7, 2003
Heard the meeting took place already.

And Rod (of knbr) just confirmed he heard the same thing, but he heard it went very well.

And now,after knbr reported that the first meeting went very well,they are saying that just Parker and Paraag are in a second meeting to get down to ironing out the details.
and Adam Sheftner is reporting that Crabs will be a Niner by Midnight tonight !
_________

Paraag and Parker in in a private meeting

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Michael Crabtree and his agent, Eugene Parker, met with San Francisco 49ers front office personnel for an hour Tuesday in the Bay area, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

Sources said Crabtree and Parker met with VP of football operations Paraag Marathe, owner Jed York and GM Scot McCloughan.

Indications are that Crabtree wants to play football for the 49ers this season, but there was no word on what kind of progress, if any, was made on a possible contract.

The two sides had gone almost three weeks without talking.

The 49ers have until Nov. 17 to sign Crabtree and have him play this season.

Michael Smith is a reporter for ESPN.

Aug 7, 2003
my news is more relevant a post back. they already had their meeting it went well. now the 49ers contract negotiator and crab's agent are meeting one on one to iron out the details. could happen by tonight.

Aug 7, 2003
Crabtree's foot is just fine
By Matt.Maiocco on October 6, 2009 4:04 PM 9 COMMENTS Michael Crabtree erased any doubts I have about his speed, as he made an impressive exit from the hotel where negotiations are taking place today.

This presumable leaves 49ers chief negotiator Paraag Marathe and Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, alone to hammer out the deal that could deliver him to Mike Singletary's team.

Crabtree saw me and CSN's Mindi Bach in the hotel where the meeting is taking place. He made a nice move to cut through a restaurant, and then sprinted -- sprinted, I tell ya -- out the back door and around the front of the hotel to an awaiting black SUV for the getaway.

Let the record show . . . his foot is just fine. (His hearing might not be so good though, as my shouts went unanswered.)

Here's what would typically happen during a meeting like what happened earlier today and continues:

With Crabtree in the room, York, the team president, tells him how much the 49ers want him to be a part of the organization for many years to come. McCloughan would talk a little about how excited he is for Crabtree to fit into the football side of the operation.

The 49ers would express how much they want Crabtree to be part of what's shaping up as a special season. Crabtree would express a desire to join the 49ers so he could make an immediate contribution.

Everybody would get on the same page. The 49ers want Crabtree; Crabtree wants the 49ers. Everybody would feel upbeat and express a desire to make it happen.

And then it would be left to negotiator Marathe and Parker to work out the details of the contract that would bring Crabtree into the fold.

That's where I think this is right now. The sides are working toward making Crabtree a part of the organization.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I wonder if the Niners were 1-3 would he still be meeting with them? What a puss... Now that the Niners are 3-1 and will probably going to the playoffs he wants to be a part of the team and he's now willing to except with the Niners are going to offer..... LOL what a puss. He's going to get booed when he gets his first catch.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
I wonder if the Niners were 1-3 would he still be meeting with them? What a puss... Now that the Niners are 3-1 and will probably going to the playoffs he wants to be a part of the team and he's now willing to except with the Niners are going to offer..... LOL what a puss. He's going to get booed when he gets his first catch.
well truth be told, he deserves a HELLA of alot more money then DHB, and the not playing probley just allowed his foot to fully heal.