Monday Q&A with Coach Cable

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
The Fans are......
Not what I meant. I understand it's Al's team (he signs the checks, etc.), but if you want to fire coaches left and right, and blame the players for not having heart, like I've said in the past...There is ONE common denominator: AL DAVIS. HE needs to accept some responsibility and run the franchise like it's SUPPOSED to be run.

But, I know it's HIS team, and he's a football GOD, so he can fuck it sideways for another 40 years, because he won 3 SB rings before 95% of the Siccness was born.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Most franchises have a GM who knows the business, and gets PAID to put together a championship team...unfortunately, no one's paying Al, because that means he could also be fired.

If you're going to blame the players and coaches, blame the man who put those players and coaches there.
You made good points and I don't disagree... with that being said that gives us no excuse to go out there and play like some hoes mayne.

Aug 9, 2006
o-line and interior d-line are the first to come to mind....which is usually the key to contending franchises......

throw in Jrussel blowing worse then VY

fragile RBs....

Dante "Burnt Toast" Hall should be returning kicks soley

Mar 26, 2006
How can you judge a coach on one game? Don't foget you were up against BREES and he is on fire.. Tough game for your first :/

looks like you guys have a tough draw considering.. aside from the chiefs game (no offense chiefs fans).

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
Free safety spot gets competitive
By Jason Jones
[email protected]
Published: Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008 | Page 4C

ALAMEDA – Hiram Eugene ended last season as the Raiders' starting free safety. He could be starting again as early as Sunday when the Raiders host the New York Jets.

After two shaky games, starter Michael Huff began splitting practice time with Eugene on Wednesday.

"We're going to create some competition and give Hiram Eugene an opportunity to go out and press (Huff) a little bit," said interim head coach Tom Cable. "And see if we can't bring the best out of either one of those guys."

This certainly isn't how the Raiders envisioned things working in their highly paid secondary.

The Raiders cut Stuart Schweigert in the offseason, signed Gibril Wilson to play strong safety and moved Huff from strong to free safety in an effort to solidify that spot.

Huff, the seventh overall pick in the 2006 draft, was supposed to be a natural fit at free safety. But like Schweigert, he has been called out for being out of position and missing tackles.

Huff is credited with 12 tackles in five starts this season. In 37 career starts, he has one interception. Eugene started five games in 2007 and has been a special teams player this season. He filled in for Schweigert after the team became frustrated with his missed tackles only to see Eugene struggle in the same area.

Eugene, a third-year player from Louisiana Tech, said he's grateful for the opportunity and learned from last year's mistakes, particularly when he missed tackles in the open field and took bad angles to get to opposing players.

"That's what I tried to improve on the most because I know that was my biggest pet peeve," Eugene said.

Those rumors – On Monday, Cable refuted a report the Raiders were looking to trade running backs Justin Fargas or Michael Bush.

The San Diego Union-Tribune cited an unnamed source saying the Raiders nearly dealt Bush to the Chargers for a draft choice before Tuesday's 1 p.m. trading deadline before the Raiders backed out of the deal.

"As a young guy you've got to look at it like a business," Bush said. "For a minute I got thinking maybe they didn't want me here."

Bush said he heard nothing from his agent or the Raiders about an impending deal.

Injury report – Defensive end Derrick Burgess (triceps) was the only player to miss practice. He'll be evaluated daily.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha (elbow) and linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba (shoulder) were limited.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
LOL... S1 was right, Huff is a damn bust. He's been moved to Free Safety and he still stucks. I don't think Eugene is any better though because he was missing tackles like a mf too.... what's our other safety name? The one that got an INT in Buffalo???? Give him a shot as well.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
What key positions are we limited? We have talent, we just don't play with heart period.
I think Mooreblock might have answered this, but I didn't read it so I could put in my own input:

First and foremost, quarterback. Jamarcus Russell isn't anywhere near where a number one overall draft pick should be, and I don't care if he hardly played his rookie year and Lane kept poor Jamarcus from passing the ball this year. He looks like a raw athlete that we're trying to make into a QB. That's not a good thing. You don't waste a pick like that on someone who isn't going to come in and be able to make an immediate impact. Jamarcus doesn't have the skill level to be even a good QB right now; you can put him and let him throw 40 times a game, and that's not going to change. He's completing only 50% of his passes, with only 4 touchdowns, to go with 2 interceptions. Our only win this season, against KC, was by far his worst game this season. He was 6-17 for 55 yards.

Wide reciever is the next key position. Our leading reciever is our TE, who has 14 catches for 199 yards. I know; it's all Kiffen's fault for not throwing the ball. But Javon Walker, the overpaid bum WR who you thought would be the messiah and save the team, has 5 catches. He hasn't shown any speed, any superior catching ability, anything that would lead me to believe he'll make any kind of impact on this team. He looks like an overpaid #3 reciever.

Are those ''key'' enough for you? Or is the only "key" position that counts to you the one who signs the checks?

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Oh...I see there's mention of defensive liabilities, too.

FS, SS, DB (DeAngelo Hall)...those would be nice to see some production. Hall is another overpaid bum that Al brought in who won't ever live up to his contract.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
JR has to step his game up and once that happens then you'll get more productivity from our wide receivers. It all starts with Russell period... he has to work on his accuracy, footwork, pocket awareness and he needs to stop fumbling the damn ball. He looks like a rookie! If and when JaMarcus becomes a better passer and Javon Walker still isn't productive then I'll give up on the dude. I never said he was the messiah, but I did say he was a very important piece to our offense and he needs to come through to open it up for everyone else.

Our safety Gibril Wilson has been playing pretty good (one missed tackle doesn't make him a liability). D. Hall hasn't lived up to his contract and probably won't but I don't think he's been playing all that bad. Teams target D. Hall because they don't want to test Asomugha. He does give up a lot of passes in front of him though.

I still think we have a talented team but everyone from Rob Ryan on down has to step their game/coaching up.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
No, you didn't say he was the ''messiah'', but you did say that with him, we could win a SB. Obviously, that is possible, but so is pigs flying. :ermm:

You see, though...with the contract (and hype, mostly by himself) that Hall receieves, teams SHOULD BE targeting Asomugha, NOT Hall. HALL should be the shut down corner, and Asomugha should be getting the majority of balls thrown his way.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I think it's a little bit of both

do have have holes in our team... for sure

especially at the WR and QB position... Russell is really not the guy right now... I'm sure of that now after Sunday's game

I think we would've been better of keepin Culpepper around and letting him Russell play behind him...

at this point I honestly think it's time to let Walter or Tui or get in there

Russell needs to sit on the bench and learn the game... physically he can do it... but he overthrows too much... throws too hard on short on passes (which is part of the reason why his catches are dropped) he can't read defenses, he looks directly at where he's gonna pass the ball, he needs to learn to move the DB's with his eyes

with that said... we still have good players

our running game should be way better than what it is right now.. we've only had one good rushing game so far this season (in KC)

our defense has proven that they CAN play very good... part of the reasont hey don't is because of our defensive scheme, and the other part is the offense gets out there... goes 3 and out then the defense has to come right back on the feild and gets tired

Greg Knapp is a shitty OC... our offense is not gonna look better with him than it did with Kiffin

Tom Cable is fuckin clueless... come on.. he said he had to let Russell throw to see what he can do...

I know what Russell can do... every fuckin fan knows what he can do... watch game film to figure that out you fuckin jackass... don't waste a whole game on that shit...

that guy is a joke as a head coach... he did good with our O-Line... but I think our line is gonna suffer now because he can't focus on that

basically... players, coaching, and the owner is our problem

I think our payers is the only somewhat bright spot though... because coaching sucks all around... and our owner is fucking delusional

the organization is all around run like shit... look at them almost trading Fargas and Bush... when asked about Tom Cable said he knew nothing about it... WTF???

how does your head coach not know about that and the media does???

Al runs this team like shit

Bush almost got traded to San Diego... when asked about it he said he heard nothing from the team...

it's fuckin bullshit all around

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I agree with you Meta4ical, except for Russell getting benched. He needs work and the only way he'll improve is to play him and expect him to improve each week and learn from his mistakes.

What's up with Bush almost getting traded but Cable and Bush no knowing anything about it? Yeah that is pretty weird...

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
I agree with you Meta4ical, except for Russell getting benched. He needs work and the only way he'll improve is to play him and expect him to improve each week and learn from his mistakes.

c/s^^^^

What's up with Bush almost getting traded but Cable and Bush no knowing anything about it? Yeah that is pretty weird...

welcome to the nation tony ..this is what al does

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
No, you didn't say he was the ''messiah'', but you did say that with him, we could win a SB. Obviously, that is possible, but so is pigs flying. :ermm:

You see, though...with the contract (and hype, mostly by himself) that Hall receieves, teams SHOULD BE targeting Asomugha, NOT Hall. HALL should be the shut down corner, and Asomugha should be getting the majority of balls thrown his way.
Yeah I did believe we could win a SuperBowl with the addition of Walker (assuming Russell was going to be playing better) and I still do.

I agree with you about the D. Hall and the hype caused by himself saying that they're the best corner tandem in the league. Teams should be targeting Hall though because they know what's up with Asomugha. Hall has to step his game up because he knows ball are going to be thrown his way.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Why would the Raiders even think about trading Bush to a division rival? Man what's going on... I wonder is there truth to that or some made up rumor... If it's true then that's not good.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I understand you guys thinking Russell needs to be out there playing in order to get better... but it is not gonna help him in the long run.

I felt the same way before... but he needs to learn by sitting on the bench... and watching another QB execute the plays on the field.

playing the way he is right now he's just gonna lose confidence and its gonna hurt him in the long run.

there are some qbs that you can throw out there right away and they'll be okay... Russell is not that guy

he needs to learn how to play off the field... he was thrown out there too early

Mar 16, 2005

Why would the Raiders even think about trading Bush to a division rival? Man what's going on... I wonder is there truth to that or some made up rumor... If it's true then that's not good.

BUT IT'S ALL LANE'S FAULT!!!!!!