Monday Q&A with Coach Cable

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
October 14, 2008

Oakland Raiders interim Head Coach Tom Cable addressed the media in the press room of the team's Alameda, Calif., facility and discussed the team's Week 6 loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Q: Do you like RB Justin Fargas as your starter?

Coach Cable: Through my experiences in our run system, I find it is most effective to change the runners up. Fargas is great because he hits it with violence and Darren is a gear changer. I thought Darren did a nice job of putting his foot down yesterday. That is the progress we are looking for and I am excited that they are both getting healthier.

Q: Did you go into yesterday’s game with the idea of giving JaMarcus more throws?

Coach Cable: Absolutely. As I said all week, we were going out and trying to be more balanced and we did that. The plan behind that was to win a game which we didn’t come close to but we did find out about where he is at. I needed to know as a head coach where our quarterback is at in that situation. We put him in a lot of situations; first, second and third down, everything you can try in a football game. We moved him around with various steps. We found out a lot about where he is and it is obvious that he is still in development. It doesn’t change the fact that we need to throw the football and make completions down the field.

Q: What did you tell the players today?

Coach Cable: You are who you are. Today they got the truth. We didn’t get it done. Because you tell them the truth, it doesn’t mean you think less of them or that they are less than good professional football players. They will always hear it from me. I don’t do gray. They will get it how I feel it. When we start winning here, it will be the same way, I will be giving them high-fives. I will tell them this is what you did, this is how you did it and this is what happened.

Q: The protection was good yesterday, wasn’t it?

Coach Cable: Yeah, it really was. Other than the two sacks we gave up. One of the them the X receiver didn’t hit his route on time and the other Kwame [Harris] got tripped. Other than that we did a good job all day.

Q: Did you call the plays yesterday or did Greg Knapp do it?

Coach Cable: Greg called the plays and he did a great job. I really liked the flow of it. I had some input on things but Greg really did a great job.

Mar 16, 2005
October 14, 2008

Oakland Raiders interim Head Coach Tom Cable addressed the media in the press room of the team's Alameda, Calif., facility and discussed the team's Week 6 loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Q: Do you like RB Justin Fargas as your starter?

Coach Cable: Through my experiences in our run system, I find it is most effective to change the runners up. Fargas is great because he hits it with violence and Darren is a gear changer. I thought Darren did a nice job of putting his foot down yesterday. That is the progress we are looking for and I am excited that they are both getting healthier.

Q: Did you go into yesterday’s game with the idea of giving JaMarcus more throws?

Coach Cable: Absolutely. As I said all week, we were going out and trying to be more balanced and we did that. The plan behind that was to win a game which we didn’t come close to but we did find out about where he is at. I needed to know as a head coach where our quarterback is at in that situation. We put him in a lot of situations; first, second and third down, everything you can try in a football game. We moved him around with various steps. We found out a lot about where he is and it is obvious that he is still in development. It doesn’t change the fact that we need to throw the football and make completions down the field.

Q: What did you tell the players today?

Coach Cable: You are who you are. Today they got the truth. We didn’t get it done. Because you tell them the truth, it doesn’t mean you think less of them or that they are less than good professional football players. They will always hear it from me. I don’t do gray. They will get it how I feel it. When we start winning here, it will be the same way, I will be giving them high-fives. I will tell them this is what you did, this is how you did it and this is what happened.

Q: The protection was good yesterday, wasn’t it?

Coach Cable: Yeah, it really was. Other than the two sacks we gave up. One of the them the X receiver didn’t hit his route on time and the other Kwame [Harris] got tripped. Other than that we did a good job all day.

Q: Did you call the plays yesterday or did Greg Knapp do it?

Coach Cable: Greg called the plays and he did a great job. I really liked the flow of it. I had some input on things but Greg really did a great job.
sounds like he treated the game as a practice rather than a real game.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Russell has to step his game up period. The whole team has to step up... but with JR being the number one overall pick of the draft and being the leader of our team, he has to play better. He needs to work on his timing and accuracy...

@thascary 1, Tom Cable used this game to evaluate Russell and to see where he's at. He was put in tough situations to see how he would respond... he's gotta grow up and take his lumps and bruises just like every other qb in the NFL.

Mar 16, 2005
Russell has to step his game up period. The whole team has to step up... but with JR being the number one overall pick of the draft and being the leader of our team, he has to play better. He needs to work on his timing and accuracy...

@thascary 1, Tom Cable used this game to evaluate Russell and to see where he's at. He was put in tough situations to see how he would respond... he's gotta grow up and take his lumps and bruises just like every other qb in the NFL.

it should worry you that he cant evaluate in practice....Seems kiffen knew enough to limit it from practices..cable...mmm not so much!

LONG LIVE AL!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
In my opinion Cable is taking the right approach. Russell's gotta grow up and learn how to throw the ball accurately and on time. Russell has to take his lumps and bruises just like every other qb in the league. He's gotta step his game up regardless...

Mar 16, 2005
In my opinion Cable is taking the right approach. Russell's gotta grow up and learn how to throw the ball accurately and on time. Russell has to take his lumps and bruises just like every other qb in the league. He's gotta step his game up regardless...

you are right he needs to take his lumps, but not so much to start...you gradually get himinto like kiffen was!

fuck Cable had no evalution from before lane was let go? needs a fucking game to do it instead of practice? sounds like he is a winnig HC!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Man cut Cable some slack... he stepped up and wanted to take over the head coaching job that no one else wanted to take. It's on our players to play with some heart... and Rob Ryan's ass is next.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
why should we cut Cable some slack Tony?

you didn't we should cut Lane any slack and he had the team playing way better than Cable did with Knapp running the offense

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Cable should be cut slack because he wasn't hired to be our head coach but he stepped up and took on the responsibility.

I don't care how Lane had these mf's playin (obviously they weren't playing good enough)... he's wasn't cutting or signing their checks. Al is... Lane is not here anymore so they need to get over the fact and play with more heart and pride period.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
34-3 is an ass whoopin'.... company man or not it is what it is.... Our team played like they quit... Didn't show no heart at all. JR gotta step his game up and Rob Ryan needs to quit getting out schemed by opposing offensive coordinators or he's going to be joining Kiffin in the unemployment line. These dudes are being paid to win a championship and they need to play like it.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Cable should be cut slack because he wasn't hired to be our head coach but he stepped up and took on the responsibility.

I don't care how Lane had these mf's playin (obviously they weren't playing good enough)... he's wasn't cutting or signing their checks. Al is... Lane is not here anymore so they need to get over the fact and play with more heart and pride period.
They guys were playing as well as they good; it wasn't a lack of a desire to win, it was a lack of TALENT to win the games, Tony.

We don't have a QB, don't have any recievers, don't have any offensive linemen, we don't have a secondary...what more do you expect?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I expect these mf's to play football like men not like some punks (like they did against the Saints). If it was lack of TALENT, we would have never been in games or had leads in games. I refuse to believe we don't have talent. These mf's need to believe in themselves and play with some got damn pride. And Rob Ryan is next in line to get canned! How come the Raiders looked like they never seen Reggie Bush or/and a screen before? Sorry mf's man.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Most franchises have a GM who knows the business, and gets PAID to put together a championship team...unfortunately, no one's paying Al, because that means he could also be fired.

If you're going to blame the players and coaches, blame the man who put those players and coaches there.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Most franchises have a GM who knows the business, and gets PAID to put together a championship team...unfortunately, no one's paying Al, because that means he could also be fired.

If you're going to blame the players and coaches, blame the man who put those players and coaches there.

The Fans are......