MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
hell yeah she'll end up a bloody mess if she don't get finished early, but which one of these chicks is an exception to that? personally i think Germaine de Randamie has the best chance of beating Cyborg and she's #13. im not trying to justify the fight. this is UFC. we both know rankings dont mean a whole lot and a lot of fights don't make sense if you bring up rankings.

i only see Rousey beating Cyborg by armbar. but we know she's scared of her. Holm got rung by Rousey and Tate. i dont see her absorbing a Cyborg hit. Cat got her shit snapped back by a Tate 1-2. i cant see her taking a Cyborg shot then the Cyborg rush. Nunes dropped her with an inside leg kick then dropped bombs on her while standing over her. thats Cyborgs shit. Tate can maybe get over on Cyborg but i don't see that for the rest of the top 5.
Rankings mean a lot in this fight. They just signed the supposed top women's fighter in the world. There's top 5 and top 10 fighters calling her out. There's only 28 fighters in the entire division and she chooses somebody that can't even scratch the top 16 (UFC uses the champ + 15 rankings). Smith is literally in the bottom 30% of the division and this is who we get to see the supposed best women's fighter on the planet go up against when legit ranked fighters are calling her out?

Outside of Coenen and Carano, Cyborg has spent her entire career crushing cans. I'm not even really sure if I can even give her Carano as a good win when it was 7 years ago and Gina was a can crusher herself.

Cyborg has never fought anybody as good as Tate, Holm, Zingano, Jessica Eye, Ronda, Amanda Nunes etc. So seeing her duck that opportunity to stop can crushing she ends up fighting somebody in the bottom 30% of the division lol it's weak as fuck.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
who called cyborg out? I read everyone ducked her and Smith was the only person that volunteered
Off the top of my head within the last month I've read Holly Holm, Meisha Tate (obviously that can't happen now), Cat Zingano, and Jessica Eye. I know there's others I just gotta find the interviews.

Dana White said "Leslie Smith is the only one who wanted to take the fight". Every time Dana White says something similar it's always found out to be complete bullshit to hype up a fight because he's a promoter trying to sell. In this case he's trying to make Leslie Smith seem legit to sell the fight.

Dana White pulls that shit a lot and the truth always ends up being he never offered a lot of people the fight.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Kenny Florian is saying he heard of 3 people who turned it down and one was a big name that was either Ronda, Holm, or Tate, but he won't say which of the 3. I'm guessing Dana asked Holly Holm who probably didn't want to fight 8 weeks after losing the title and who knows who the 2 other randoms are.

That Dana White marketing machine is the same guy who threw Frankie Edgar under the bus for turning down McGregor at 196 a couple of days after getting off the operating table lol

Apr 25, 2002
Rankings mean a lot in this fight. They just signed the supposed top women's fighter in the world. There's top 5 and top 10 fighters calling her out. There's only 28 fighters in the entire division and she chooses somebody that can't even scratch the top 16 (UFC uses the champ + 15 rankings). Smith is literally in the bottom 30% of the division and this is who we get to see the supposed best women's fighter on the planet go up against when legit ranked fighters are calling her out?

Outside of Coenen and Carano, Cyborg has spent her entire career crushing cans. I'm not even really sure if I can even give her Carano as a good win when it was 7 years ago and Gina was a can crusher herself.

Cyborg has never fought anybody as good as Tate, Holm, Zingano, Jessica Eye, Ronda, Amanda Nunes etc. So seeing her duck that opportunity to stop can crushing she ends up fighting somebody in the bottom 30% of the division lol it's weak as fuck.
rankings don't mean shit. especially in this fight. this isn't a 135 fight. what good is it if a top 5'er got the shot? it ain't gonna elevate her. if Cat got it and beat Cyborg, would she have got the 135 title shot? probably. but that would show that rankings don't mean shit, since it has nothing to do with the rankings or the weight.

i like Eye a lot, but why Eye? she lost her last 2 (dropped by Tate so i doubt she can absorb Cyborg), and beat Leslie Smith by knocking her ear off. you can say she was winning, and i agree, but she still won by knocking her ear off. she didn't destroy her. prior to that she lost to Alexis Davis. she don't have the winningest record at this time.

i agree a top 5'er should have got it, but who called her out? Tate and Holm said they were down, at catch weight, that's pretty much all. i understand why they wouldn't want to give her Tate. she just won the belt. she'll probably defend it at 200 and they wanted Cyborg to fight in the GOAT Brazil show. you know Rousey ain't trying to fight Cyborg. she been ducking her since Strikeforce. and if Rousey loss to Cyborg on this next fight, Rousey fame will dwindle so bad. they probably didn't want to throw in Holm cus if she loses, casuals will back off her. she just got hella big, barely, and Dana White's mad that she took the Tate fight, and lost. they didn't want Nunes probably cus they didn't want to throw Brazilian vs Brazilian, even tho they got Jacare and Belfort, but that fight makes sense if you consider rankings and title contention.

Pena's in trouble with the law so they can't do her. i like Cat vs Cyborg, but UFC probably want's to save her so they can build off her since she's tough as shit and got a nice record. casual's and real mma fans who don't like womens fighting only know her as the chick Rousey beat in like 2 seconds. a loss to Cyborg will halt any building the UFC want's to do with her. and did she even call Cyborg out? maybe she did, i don't know. i aint ever read nothing bout her calling her out. regardless, she got in trouble with Tate's power so her eating Cyborg hit's probably ain't gonna happen, tho i still wanna see that match up.

i don't know of anybody in the top 15 who called Cyborg out. Leslie Smith is one of the toughest chicks along with Tate and Cat. it's not like she's getting finished or getting dominated in her losses. she's never boring and is not gonna hump you all night. that's probably why she's even considered. UFC is going to push this Cyborg fight, and i guarantee majority of interested viewers can't name anybody in UFC's womens bantamweight top 20, aside from Rousey and maybe Tate or Holm(s). these are the people who only know of Cyborg because of Rousey. these same people think everybody Rousey beat are cans, when in reality everybody Rousey beat is way better and a more well rounded fighter than Rousey will ever be. but you have to actually like and respect and watch women's mma to understand that, when most these people don't. the fight don't make sense, just like Diaz vs McGregor II (especially at 170) don't make sense. just like Rousey vs Corriea didn't make sense. it's still one of the best match ups because of Leslie's style. it don't mean she's gonna win, but if she knocks out Smith, i don’t see anybody else absorbing her hit and not dropping and getting tko’d. maybe Tate and/or Pena.

i feel what your saying but it don't matter who she fights cus casuals don't know anybody. they raised Corriea's ranking once she got the Rousey fight and Siver got raised once he got the McGregor fight. they throw that in there to legitimize it since non-fans don't know any better.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
According to Dana White Aldo vs. Edgar isn't even gonna be the co-main event of 200, he said when the co-main event gets announced "minds will be blown".

A lot of people are guessing GSP vs. Lawler, but if Conor/Diaz headlines over that I would laugh.

I'm guessing Ronda/Tate III

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
LMAO Bellator is fucking up bad. They added a Marloes Coenen vs. Julia Budd title fight for the first ever 145lb. Bellator Championship to Bellator 155 and they put it on the fucking untelevised prelims. It was announced less than an hour ago and the internet already blew up. Women's groups trying to gett #boycottbellator trending and shit like that lol

What's sad is 3 of the fights on the main card is a bunch of journeymen.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Wait, why are women's groups upset?
A fight for the first ever women's champion of the Bellator 145 division isn't being shown on TV, it's on prelims.

Meanwhile a bunch of random cans are fighting on the televised show.

It ain't even just women's groups, a ton of people are upset.

Marloes Coenen is a legend and pioneer of women's MMA, this is a championship fight. Why even bother having a championship if you feel it isn't worthy of even being on your SpikeTV show lol