MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Mir was hurt no doubt but I thought it might of been premature. I think he was hoping for hunt to go into his guard to try and recover but of course hunt always does those walkaway ko's lol

Apr 25, 2002
Mir was hurt no doubt but I thought it might of been premature. I think he was hoping for hunt to go into his guard to try and recover but of course hunt always does those walkaway ko's lol
i thought the same thing but i didn't see Mir disagreeing with the stoppage. it looked like he didn't know where he was at.

he shoulda used his boxing more. he was just trying to shoot the whole time.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
New York finally passed MMA, bout to see some UFC at MSG and Barclay's Center

New York State Assembly passes bill that lifts ban on MMA

For the first time in nearly 20 years, professional mixed martial arts is set to become a legal activity in the state of New York.

The New York State Assembly passed a bill on Tuesday that lifts a ban on professional MMA that had been in place since 1997. The bill passed by a vote of 113-25. It required 76 votes to pass.

Assembly members offered a wide range of opinions on the bill and MMA itself.

Daniel J. O'Donnell referred to it as "nearly naked, hot men rolling around." Charles Barron, who opposed the bill, referenced American slavery and brain trauma. Some advocates of the bill outlined the economic impact of legalizing MMA as well as its potential virtues.

Some expressed a personal lack of interest in MMA but pledged support of it nonetheless. Assemblyman Michael Benedetto referred to it as a "nasty" sport but still voted in favor of ending the ban.

The result ends a long battle by the the sport's leading promotion, UFC, to legalize MMA in New York. The state Senate had passed a similar bill in each of the past seven years, but this was the first time it made it to the Assembly floor.

"This has been a long time coming," UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said in a statement.

The UFC took to Twitter on Tuesday to thank the state legislature for passing the bill.

The UFC has repeatedly stated it intends to host multiple events per year in several locations of New York and could land in Madison Square Garden before the end of the year.

The bill still requires the signature of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, which should be a formality. Cuomo already expressed his support for the sport this year by including professional MMA revenue in his proposed budget.

"While there are still additional steps that have to occur before professional MMA becomes a reality in New York, I want to assure our fans that if Governor Cuomo signs the bill into law and the State Athletic Commission puts in place the appropriate regulations, we look forward to hosting our first New York event in the world's most famous arena -- Madison Square Garden," Fertitta said. "We also look forward to scheduling events in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, and Brooklyn. We are excited."

MMA will fall under the jurisdiction of the New York State Athletic Commission. The NYSAC has 120 days to adopt the necessary statutes to regulate the sport.

An often overlooked aspect of the bill is that it also regulates MMA on an amateur level. Under previous law, New York state officials did not oversee amateur MMA, which meant there were no safety guidelines, such as pre-fight physical examinations or ambulances and physicians on site.

The UFC turned to a number of measures in its effort to host a live event in New York. The promotion filed suit against the state in 2011, essentially challenging the validity of the Combative Sports Law of 1997 on the grounds it infringed on First Amendment rights and was unconstitutionally vague. Until Tuesday, New York was the only state in the U.S. where professional MMA was banned.

Another lawsuit was filed last September. The UFC also filed for a preliminary injunction that would have allowed a live UFC 198 event to take place on April 23 at Madison Square Garden. That injunction was ultimately denied.

MMA in New York received an unexpected boost in February 2015, when former Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who was publicly against MMA, was indicted on fraud charges and replaced by a former sponsor of the bill, Carl E. Heastie.

There are several prominent New York natives on the UFC roster, including former champions Jon Jones and Chris Weidman. Before the ban in 1997, the UFC held one live event in September 1995 in Buffalo, New York.

Of course, the bill paves the way for all professional MMA promoters to host live events in New York. Bellator MMA president Scott Coker also expressed his desire to promote an event there.

"The New York Assembly's vote to legalize MMA is a watershed moment for this incredible sport," Coker said. "As someone who has been promoting combat sports for more than 30 years, this is a very exciting time for MMA. We at Bellator MMA are very much looking forward to hosting an event in the 'Crown Jewel of America,' New York. Two Bellator champions, Liam McGeary and Marcos Galvao, call New York home and it means a great deal to the both of them.

"We've already been in contact with the great people at the Barclays Center and several other incredible venues and we can't wait to bring our world class athletes and action packed shows to an arena in the Empire State soon."

Feb 10, 2006
i believe the ufc has november lined up for an event in NY. Was just thinking yesterday that thats when Rousey will be bacc. Also, if Weidman meets Luke they will 100% do the trilogy there. Scott Coker said they're in talks with Barclays Center already as well.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
God damn, that Venator III card in Italy in May has 20 fights on it lol all three title fights are 5 rounders and I read 3 other fights have been negotiated as 5 rounders

This is gonna be like a 12 hour show lol

Card is pretty stacked though, Venator must have some money behind it.

INTERNATIONAL CARD (starts at 9pm, local time)
Welterweight Title Fight: Rousimar Palhares (18-6) vs Emil Weber Meek (7-2-1, 1 NC)
Middleweight Title Fight: Luke Barnatt (9-3) vs. Jason Miller (23-9, 1 NC)
Light Heavyweight Fight: Sokoudjou (16-14) vs Matt Hamill (11-6)
Welterweight Fight: Karl Amoussou (21-7-2) vs Simeon Thoresen (17-6-1)
Middleweight Fight: Igor Araujo (25-8, 1NC) vs Marvin Vettori (9-2)
Welterweight Fight: Che Mills (16-8, 2NC) vs Roberto Rigamonti (4-2-1)
Welterweight Fight: Peter Queally (8-2) vs Giorgio Pietrini (5-3)
Welterweight Fight: Cody McKenzie (15-8) vs Daniele Scatizzi (6-2)
Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Karl Moore (6-1) vs Pietro Cappelli (1-1)
Middleweight Fight: Jack Hermansson (11-2) vs to be annouced

NATIONAL CARD (starts at 4pm, local time)
Lightweight Title Fight: Leonardo Zecchi (13-8-1) vs Alessandro Botti (12-5)
Bantamweight Title Fight: Cristian Binda (10-10) vs Davide Baneschi (7-3)
Featherweight Title Fight: Federico Mini (4-0-1) vs Ciro Ruotolo (4-3-1)
Middeweight Fight: Stefan Croitoru (6-1-1) vs Mattia Schiavolin (12-2-2)
Featherweight Fight: Danyel Pilò (3-1-2) vs Luca Puggioni (9-9-1, 1NC)
Light Heavyweight Fight: Matteo Minonzio (21-19) vs Franco De Martiis (2-4)
Lightweight Fight: Daniele Miceli (2-0) vs to be announced
Middleweight Fight: Cristian Magro (8-4) vs Marco Zuzolo (1-1)
Welterweight Fight: Stefano Paternò (3-1) vs Andrea Fusi (0-0)
Lightweight Fight: Manolo Zecchini (3-0) vs Dennis Coste (2-1)

Apr 25, 2002
UFC been payin Invicta's Cyborg bill but she's finally fighting in the UFC. stacked ass Brazil card.

Cris Cyborg debuts in UFC vs. Leslie Smith in Brazil - Bloody Elbow
Ivicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino is set to make her long-awaited debut appearance inside the UFC's Octagon later this year when she meets Leslie Smith at a catchweight of 140-pounds at UFC 198.

UFC officials confirmed the news on Monday.

Cyborg (15-1, 1 NC) is riding a 16-fight unbeaten streak, with a lone no-contest mixed in between. In her latest win earlier this year, she knocked out Daria Ibragimova with seconds left in the opening round. Cyborg has only gone to a decision twice in her 11-year career.

Smith (8-6-1) recently returned to action earlier this month against Rin Nakai at UFC Fight Night 85 and picked up a unanimous decision nod. Prior to that, she suffered an injury TKO loss to Jessica Eye in late 2014, in which she nearly had her ear ripped off.

UFC 198 takes place live from the Arena Atletico Paranaense in Curitiba, Brazil -- Cyborg's hometown -- on May 14. In the main event, Fabricio Werdum defends his heavyweight belt against Stipe Miocic. The card also features notable fighters Ronaldo Souza, Vitor Belfort and Anderson Silva.

Apr 25, 2002
i think Leslie Smith is a better opponent than Zingano. i'm probably one of the very few that think Leslie Smith has a shot.

Smith is a Gracie Fighter and also fucks heavy with El Nino. she also trains off and on with Richard Perez (Diaz brothers boxing coach). she needs to really just stay with Nick or Nate til the fight and train with Richard Perez damn near daily, but i know Nate's going to take up a lot of Richard Perez's time for this McGregor rematch.

Cyborg trains a lot with Dewey Cooper so i know her technique is getting better too. boxing technique or not she has that natural power.

Apr 25, 2002
Did you miss her fight with Rin Nakai last week? lol Leslie Smith shouldn't be thrown in there with Cyborg. She's turrible, she barely squeaked by Nakai to elevate herself above .500.
Rin's a wrestler and was just trying to shoot. i wouldn't say she barely squeeked by. there was no part of that fight that Rin was winning. Rin stayed away and Smith was tagging her. on top of that, Smith had to significantly lower her stance the entire fight so Rin wouldn't take her down. it's really hard to let go of your hands when your crouching the whole time.

it barely put her above .500 but in her past 10 fights (Invicta/UFC) she only lost to 3 people. and one of them was a doctor stoppage due to her ear exploding.

Cyborgs opponents lose because Cyborg hits hard. that's all. if you can take her hit, you can win. a 10-1 record vs a 1-10 record don't mean nothin if your next opponent hits harder than you can accept.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Bringing up her last 10 fights ain't helping her case when she only won 5 of them lol

Jessica Eye was also clearly winning that fight before Smith's ear exploded, so it ain't like that isn't a legit loss.

The fact is Smith isn't even ranked and you have multiple ranked fighters asking for the fight, there's no excuse to justify this shit. UFC wants to make some money off some Cyborg before putting her in there with somebody legit. Smith is going to end up a bloody mess if she ain't TKO'd early.

Apr 25, 2002
Bringing up her last 10 fights ain't helping her case when she only won 5 of them lol

Jessica Eye was also clearly winning that fight before Smith's ear exploded, so it ain't like that isn't a legit loss.

The fact is Smith isn't even ranked and you have multiple ranked fighters asking for the fight, there's no excuse to justify this shit. UFC wants to make some money off some Cyborg before putting her in there with somebody legit. Smith is going to end up a bloody mess if she ain't TKO'd early.
hell yeah she'll end up a bloody mess if she don't get finished early, but which one of these chicks is an exception to that? personally i think Germaine de Randamie has the best chance of beating Cyborg and she's #13. im not trying to justify the fight. this is UFC. we both know rankings dont mean a whole lot and a lot of fights don't make sense if you bring up rankings.

i only see Rousey beating Cyborg by armbar. but we know she's scared of her. Holm got rung by Rousey and Tate. i dont see her absorbing a Cyborg hit. Cat got her shit snapped back by a Tate 1-2. i cant see her taking a Cyborg shot then the Cyborg rush. Nunes dropped her with an inside leg kick then dropped bombs on her while standing over her. thats Cyborgs shit. Tate can maybe get over on Cyborg but i don't see that for the rest of the top 5.