MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Matt Serra will have to withdraw from the UFC 79 card due to an injury he suffered after his training earlier this week.

The current UFC welterweight champion, who was scheduled to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79, suffered a herniated disc in his lower back on Monday following a routine training session in his Long Island gym.
“This is devastating news because they were so looking forward to fighting each other, said White.

“Unfortunately injuries happen and I look forward to Serra recovering quickly, and to getting him back into the Octagon.”

Serra had just finished a Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling training session and was demonstrating a move when he became gripped with pain and fell to the floor. Serra went to the hospital and underwent an MRI, which revealed the herniated discs in his lower back.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do,” said Serra. “I’ve never had a back injury before; I could hardly get off of the MRI table. There is no way I can train through this, and I’m devastated, especially because this was such an important fight. I was looking forward to fighting Matt Hughes. All my training was going phenomenally until Monday – All I can do now is to get better and to fight again as soon as possible.”

GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very unfortunate but as soon as he is healed it's on.

Feb 7, 2006
‘Bigfoot' Talks Heavyweight Debut, Future
Sherdog.com editor Josh Gross recently spoke with Antonio Silva, who in his sub 265-pound debut made quick work of Jonathan Wiezorek (Pictures) at EliteXC "Renegade."

In this exclusive interview, ‘Bigfoot' discusses being cleared to return to the cage after a medical issue and his prospects of being a top heavyweight in the sport.
http://sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1344

Feb 7, 2006
Champion Grappler Roger Gracie to Focus on MMA
LONDON -- Roger Gracie (Pictures) has more world championships in grappling than minutes of experience in fighting, but that is about to change.

The question: Is he going after more grappling titles or more fight time? The answer: both.

"My next step is MMA now -- that's what I'm thinking of most of the time," said Gracie, who plans to continue competing in one or two prestigious grappling tournaments.

He is not calling out anyone, but he does want good competition.

"I don't like to do easy fights," Gracie explained. "I'd rather not fight at all. It's just a matter of when I think I'll be ready" to fight the best.

On Dec. 2, 2006, Gracie made his MMA debut against Ron Waterman (Pictures) in BodogFight. Giving up 54 pounds and more than 20 fights of MMA experience did not deter Gracie, who submitted the UFC and Pride veteran via armbar from his guard four minutes into the first round.

But it has been nearly a year since he successfully transitioned to MMA, and he has no fights currently signed. With his obligations to Bodog fulfilled, the EliteXC banner, which features British promoters Cage Rage, appeals to the London resident. In addition, Gracie acknowledges the U.S. MMA boom and Japan's silent fervor for fighting. Wherever he ends up, he just wants "to go where the big boys are."

The soft-spoken heavyweight also admits the size difference against Waterman raised considerations of dropping to 205 pounds in the future. For now, he is fine where he is and sees early 2008 as the start of a long journey.

"I always had the feeling that I would do MMA at some point in my life, even since I was young, since I started taking jiu-jitsu seriously in my life," Gracie reflected. "I always knew that at some point that would happen."

The son of Reyla Gracie (daughter of Carlos Gracie Sr.) and the Rolls Gracie black belt Mauricio Motta Gomes, Roger Gracie (Pictures) has a legacy of more than eighty years behind him. Tradition is not something he ignores.

"I don't fight for myself," he said. "I fight for my family."

He relishes defending the family name but avoids comparisons. Despite his success, Gracie is quick to say he is not even the best in his family.

Family, in fact, is what the Roger Gracie (Pictures) Academy is built on. Centered between the flags of Brazil and England at the school gleams a large photo of Grand Master Carlos Gracie.

Fighting, however, is not limited to the Gracie name. His gym has produced England's first three Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belts, and he brings community kids to the academy and teaches them about his art. Meanwhile Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA are picking up popularity in the U.K., and Gracie just wants to be there to spread the technique and philosophy.

Gracie feels his team is "getting stronger and stronger." It is a squad based on the exchange of dedication, and his students' enthusiasm carries over to Gracie himself. Despite not being suited up during an advanced gi class, he hit the mats.

Gracie jumped into the half guard of a student radiating sweat and went through techniques. One question from a student led to another question from another student equally drenched. There Gracie went, working positions, possibly ruining his forest green wool sweater. He took it off later before continuing on with his students.

And all after a class he was not running.

It's clear that Gracie is focused on jiu-jitsu as he gears up for his return to MMA. At the moment, he is not training standup.

"It doesn't matter how much boxing I do, how much kickboxing I do, we're always going to fight on the floor," Gracie said. "I'm a ground fighter; I'm a jiu-jitsu fighter."

There is no arguing with results. He is the only man to submit all eight of his opponents in Abu Dhabi competition, which was one of the greatest moments of his life and career.

"It wasn't he easy," he said.

The question remains whether his success in grappling will translate to MMA, though. However it turns out, he's right -- it won't be easy.

Still, Gracie's mindset is the same for all competition: "When I get there, there is no losing. If I'm fighting, I fight to win, and I'm glad I'm doing so well to defend the Gracie name."

There's a motto scrawled on a whiteboard at Gracie's jiu-jitsu academy. "Through endurance," it says, "we shall conquer."

Indeed, Gracie has endured the spiraling world of submission grappling. Now, he hopes to conquer a world once conquered by his Gracie surname -- mixed martial arts.

Feb 7, 2006
BELCHER CONFIRMS FIGHT WITH ALMEIDA AT UFC 81

Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight contender Alan ‘The Talent’ Belcher will look to make it three-straight victories when he steps into the cage to face tough veteran fighter Ricardo Almeida on Feb. 2 at UFC 81 in Las Vegas.

Belcher stopped “The Ultimate Fighter” star Kalib Starnes by TKO at UFC 77 in Cincinnati and is proving that he is a force to be reckoned with in the 185-pound class.

Belcher on Friday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that he will face Almeida. He said of his future opponent, “He beat Nate Marquardt by submission and Ryo Chonan by decision and his jiu-jitsu is really good, so it is going to be a good fight.”

The Renzo Gracie-trained Almeida has not competed in mixed martial arts since May 23, 2004, but his last two wins were over quality opponents.

The fight is a good measuring stick for both fighters. A win over the former middleweight King of Pancrase would likely show that Belcher is ready to compete for a championship. For Almeida, a win over the young Southerner would immediately mark his return to title contention.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Jon Fitch or Thiago Alves Could Replace Matt Serra at UFC 79

Matt Hughes might have a UFC 79 opponent, after all.

Earlier today the UFC officially announced that current welterweight champion and “The Ultimate Fighter” coach Matt Serra had suffered a back injury that forced him out of a UFC 79 main event with former champ (and rival coach) Hughes.

It’s far too early to know exactly how long Serra will be sidelined, but if it’s for an extended period of time — and if Hughes is willing to still fight at the Dec. 29 event — top welterweight Jon Fitch (15-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) or rising contender Thiago Alves (13-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) could fill in for the champ in a non-title fight.

The news comes from MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) content-partner site, Yahoo! Sports.

In a statement posted on his official website earlier today, Hughes stated that he hadn’t initially been told if (and when) he’d fight next. However, the former longtime welterweight champ defeated Chris Lytle at UFC 68 in March, and with the victory, he was promised an immediate title shot.

Given Serra’s injury, should Hughes have to fight anyway? Does he want to fight? And, could he lose his top-contender status if he’s beaten?

Unfortunately, we won’t have those answers until Serra has more time to evaluate his situation and to meet with doctors.

Hughes, though, stated that he would continue training as normal and prepare for any scenario.

Fitch, an American Kickboxing Academy fighter and former captain of the Purdue University wrestling team, is 7-0 in the UFC. He’s currently riding a 14-fight win streak and most recently defeated Diego Sanchez at UFC 76 in September.

Alves, a welterweight contender who’s somewhat flown under the radar, has won his past four fights, including a “Fight of the Night” performance over Chris Lytle this past weekend at UFC 78. His only UFC losses have come to Fitch and veteran Spencer Fisher.

With UF7 79 just five weeks away — and with Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva as the only other major fight booked for the event — the pay-per-view broadcast could surely use some starpower for the televised main card.

A Hughes-Fitch or Hughes-Alves could provide that, but with an extremely messy title picture in the UFC’s welterweight division, the potential fights could actually create more problems than it solves.

Feb 7, 2006
HUGHES VS. ST-PIERRE FOR INTERIM UFC TITLE

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday announced that Georges St-Pierre will step in to take Matt Serra’s place on Dec. 29. Serra had been scheduled to defend his welterweight championship against Matt Hughes, but suffered a herniated disc in his lower back and will be unable to fight.

This will be the third time that St-Pierre and Hughes have faced each other. Hughes won the first match-up by armbar, while St-Pierre won by TKO in their second meeting.

St-Pierre versus Hughes 3, at UFC 79 in Las Vegas, has been declared a fight for the interim UFC welterweight championship.

“Obviously, the loss of Matt Serra was brutal, but the great thing about the UFC is that we can put together great fights like Hughes-St-Pierre at a moment’s notice and bounce right back,” said UFC President Dana White.

“I have the utmost respect for both Hughes and St-Pierre for stepping up for this fight, and not only are the fans going to see two of the greatest welterweights of all-time settle their score in a rubber match, but they're going to do it in a five-round interim title fight, and the winner is going to face off next year against Matt Serra for the undisputed title.”

“I’m so excited to get this fight,” said St-Pierre. “I’m fighting Matt Hughes for the interim title right now, and then after that I’m going to go after Serra. I’ve wanted that rematch against Serra, and this is the best scenario that can happen.”

Via his website, Hughes said that he asked for this fight to be for an interim title. He didn’t indicate why he accepted the bout against St-Pierre other than to say, “I’ve got a couple reasons why I’ve made this decision and I will share those at a later time.”

Serra stated that the fight between St-Pierre and Hughes puts him in an awkward position. “I can’t believe the position this puts me in,” he said. “I’m actually rooting for Matt Hughes so I can beat his ass.”

Bouts officially announced for UFC 79:
-Matt Hughes vs. Georges St-Pierre
-Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
-Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida

Rumored bouts not yet confirmed by the UFC:
-Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev
-Manny Gamburyan vs. Nate Mohr
-Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard
-Roan Carneiro vs. Tony DeSouza
-Doug Evans vs. Mark Bocek
-Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei

Feb 7, 2006
IFL BRITISH TEAM FALLING INTO PLACE

The International Fight League British team selection has been widely speculated upon of late with head coach Ian Freeman scouting U.K. shows such as the Ultimate Warrior Challenge for potential talent.

There are several candidates that could make the grade who are currently active in the U.K. with impressive fight resumes, but as Freeman clearly stated, “It’s more important to me that the fighters selected are team players than purely owners of winning records.”

The term “British Team” is slightly misleading if you consider the likely candidates. It’s more a case of the team fighting out of Britain, but not necessarily having to be British by passport.

The most obvious shoe-in for a place on the team comes in the shape of current Cage Rage lightweight champion Abdul Mohammed, a close associate of Freeman for several years now. Mohammed is lined up to face Robbie Olivier at Dec. 1’s Cage Rage 24 event at Wembley Arena. It will be interesting to see how his future shapes up with a potentially lucrative IFL contract lurking in the wings. Mohammed for his part has been one of the most dominant fighters in the lightweight division for quite some time.

The welterweight division in the U.K. is stacked at the moment, and ruling that roost is one Paul “Semtex” Daley. Following closely in his footsteps are Dan Hardy, Jim Wallhead and Paul Kelly. Daley is following a dream career progression at the moment having smashed his way through the best the U.K. has to offer and is now fighting under the guidance of EliteXC, with three recognized mixed martial arts belts to his credit and a Muay Thai title.

Hardy has had a breakout year in 2007 fighting in Japan under the GCM Cage Force promotion, working his way through serious competition in Daizo Ishige and Hidetaka Monma. He is now in the final stages of the tournament and win or lose, it is likely that the Ultimate Fighting Championship will jump on this rising star, just at a time when they need more U.K. fighters in the division to hold the audience’s interest when running events here. Talking of which, Paul Kelly has had the UFC knock and is rumoured to have inked a three-fight deal, further strengthening the links between the Wolfslair Academy and the UFC.

Wallhead then seems like the most viable option. Ever since shining bright at the 2 Hot 2 Handle events, “Judo Jim” has been working his way through competition amassing a solid record. Short of fighting his teammates, he really doesn’t have much more to prove on these shores. America should love his attitude and being a team player means he will muck in hard.

There are plenty of solid middleweight fighters out there, but only one Brit currently scheduled to fight on an IFL card and that is Alex Cook. This Wolfslair fighter has spent his time preparing others for bouts and putting his own career on hold. He has had some fantastic battles over the years, but hasn’t really tapped into his full potential, yet. A salaried income with a solid contract focused on his future should see him really step out from the shadow of Michael Bisping and make a name for himself.

The light heavyweight division recently came under Freeman’s scrutiny at the UWC show on Dec. 10 with the battle between Polish BTT standout Premyslaw Mysiala and UWC champion Valentino Petrescu. Their match was an exciting battle that really showcased the improvements in Petrescu’s striking skills. It was speculated before the event that he had an IFL contract in his back pocket and his impressive victory that night likely solidified his position. Just like Abdul Mohammed, he isn’t strictly a Briton, but the Italian has been living and fighting here for quite some time and as such is eligible to represent the British team.

And finally, on to the heavyweights... for some reason we build them big over here: James Thompson, Neil Grove, Rob Broughton, Robert Berry... but one fighter who continually gets overlooked in this company is Tom Blackledge. This Wolfslair standout is a very dynamic, strong fighter with smarts. He may not be as big in build as the aforementioned fighters, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in speed. From his sniper kicks to his solid wrestling and brutal use of elbows, Blackledge is the rumored selection at heavyweight.

Freeman has kept his cards close to his chest regarding selections, preferring to secure contracts first. But looking at the likely prospects above, expect for the British Team to make serious waves in the league as soon as competition begins.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Damn this sucks, after watching The Ultimate Fighter all season I was hoping Serra would crush Hughes' eyesocket in. I know Hughes would've probably won, but I hate that fucker, biggest douchebag in MMA and always has been, hope GSP crushes that faggot again.

Feb 7, 2006
'Rush' to a Title, GSP Faces Hughes for Interim UFC Belt

One day following the news that UFC 170-pound champion Matt Serra (Pictures) had withdrawn from his Dec. 29 title defense against Matt Hughes (Pictures) because of injury, the UFC announced Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) would fight Hughes for an interim title.

St. Pierre and Hughes have fought twice, splitting the bouts. Hughes recaptured the welterweight belt after it was vacated by B.J. Penn (Pictures) in the first fight, while St. Pierre stopped Hughes in the rematch to capture the UFC belt.

"I'm so excited to get this fight," said St. Pierre in a statement on UFC.com. "I'm fighting Matt Hughes (Pictures) for the interim title right now, and then after that I'm going to go after Serra. I've wanted that rematch against Serra, and this is the best scenario that can happen."

"Rush" lost the title to Serra in February of this year. The division championship, due mainly to the UFC promoting a Serra-Hughes title fight via the sixth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," which concludes in December, has been in hiatus, having only been up for grabs once in 2007. St. Pierre-Hughes is slated for five five-minute rounds.

The current champion, desperately wanting to fight Hughes, is now relegated to cheering for the former two-time UFC king.

"I can't believe the position this puts me in," Serra said on UFC.com. "I'm actually rooting for Matt Hughes (Pictures) so I can beat his ass."

Feb 7, 2006
latest Fedor interview

SAMURAI TV which is a pay-per-view MMA news show had a private interview with Fedor on 22 Nov.

- You have not been to Japan for a long time.
I`m glad to be here in Japan again. I knew I would come back for all of my fans in Japan.

- How did you know you can fight on NYE?
Vadim asked me if I`m interested in and I accepted the offer immediately. I would like to prepare well for the fight and would like to have an exciting fight.

- Do you have any comment to former PRIDE staff?
I don`t think this is the last event I work with them. M-1 Global has a business plan to hold events starting next year. M-1 Global is actually approaching them and asking to support their events. I believe M-1 Global will corporate with former PRIDE employees to create great events like the PRIDE had before in Japan.

- Why did you choose M-1 Global?
M-1 Global is formed by trustworthy staff and we agreed to create the best MMA event. I accepted because M-1 Global is going to have an event in Japan, Russia and the Netherlands as well as in the U.S.

- Who would you like to fight?
I would like to fight champions in other MMA organization like Randy Couture, Gabriel Gonzaga and champions of UFC, Cage Rage and IFL etc.

- What is the definition of the strongest fighter for you?
The strongest fighter should be able to defeat all the opponents, respect other fighters, understand circumstances and communicate well with others.

- Do you think you are the best now?
I don`t think I`m the best now but I`m trying to be.

- Do you have any message to your fans?
I`m happy to have a fight in Japan again. I train hard to win and please come and see my fight.

`S Arena' had interview with Mr. Saeki and Shinya Aoki.

Aoki said he actually had a call about the interview of `Yarennoka!' at night on Nov 20. Aoki was anxious about the delay of the interview. Aoki had mentioned this event in a magazine interview which was published a couple of days before and he was worried about being called a liar.

Mr.Saeki said the process of this event was delayed a lot and could not be announced until the last minute. He is sure that this event would not happen if he could not make an official announcement on Nov 21.