MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
MMANews.com Radio w/ Guests: Ken Shamrock, Art Jimmerson

Adam from MMANews.com's "The Fight Card" radio show sent along the following:

MMANews.com's The Fight Card celebrates the anniversary of UFC 1 with two fighters who appeared on the card! Art Jimmerson and Ken Shamrock!

The guys go over UFC 78 and explain how they stayed awake during the fights!

How come the best wrestlers are in the 155 pound division? Where does Frankie Edgar go from here and how does the Lightweight division stack up?

What happened to Karo Parisyan? The guys discuss what happened to him and how come he can't finish fights.

Our own "Bruiser", who was live in attendance explains the Thiago Alves VS. Chris Lytle fight controversy.

Ken Shamrock comes on and voices his displeasure with Dana White. He says Dana is trying to act like a fighter and not live up to his word. He is filing a lawsuit because Dana and the company do not live up to their word.

Ken says Vince McMahon never once lied to him and is honest with you face-to-face while Dana is much more "slimey." When asked if he will fight in the UFC again, Ken said "no comment." If Ken could do it all over again, he said he would go to college, get an education and become an agent. He said it's very unfair how little the fighters get paid after they put so much into the fight while the owners and agents make all the money.

He goes on to discuss his brother, Frank Shamrock. Ken says he would certainly fight him, but Frank only uses it as a publicity stunt. Ken says he will fight again and he will be healthy, unlike his previous fights.

Art Jimmerson, the first man to ever face Royce Gracie in the UFC comes on to talk about UFC 1. He mentions how they treated the earlier fighters, why he fought with one glove, and how he is doing now!

here is the link to the site that has the radio interview http://www.mmanews.com/other/MMANews.com-Radio-w-Guests:-Ken-Shamrock-Art-Jimmerson.html

Feb 7, 2006
Yushin Okami Inks New Deal With UFC

Middleweight contender Yushin Okami (21-4 MMA, 5-1 UFC), who last defeated Jason MacDonald at UFC 77 in October, has re-signed with the organization. The length of the contract and financial terms of the deal were not released, and Okami could not be reached for comment.
Okami is 5-1 in the UFC with victories over the likes of Alan Belcher, Kalib Starnes, Rory Singer, (No. 1 contender) Mike Swick and MacDonald. His only loss was to Rich Franklin at UFC 72. Okami, in fact, nearly won the June fight, but Franklin miraculously survived third-round guillotine and arm-bar attempts to pull out the unanimous-decision victory. There’s no word on Okami’s next fight, though UFC 81 (Feb. 2) and UFC 82 (March 3) are definite possibilities.

Feb 7, 2006
Belfort: Now I´m freelancer, just like Fedor

Outside Black House, the black belt of Carlson Gracie, Vitor Belfort, commented about the negotiations for his future. "Today I have no exclusivity with anyone. I am the same as Fedor, I do not have exclusivity. I am the champion of Cage Rage and have one more belt defense to do. I am waiting because of the surgery, but in February I will be ready. We are studying many proposals. M-1 contacted me to fight there, there is an event in , an event in , the government of Amazonas, there´s no lack of money there, and they want me to fight there. In December I am going to to make some meetings with Ultimate also. I want to return to UFC", said Vitor, that explained the break-up with his former employer, Jorge Guimarães “Joinha”.

"I had a meeting with Joinha and spoke with him that this is a moment in life where I thought I needed to make some changes, and one of these changes was to find another person to take care of my career. He understood and my friendship with him continues. I think I am in a moment of change, the sport is changing and I cannot lose time", said Vitor.

After the birth of his daughter Vitória and the break-up with Joinha, Vitor also commented about how is his training structure. "I think I have plenty to do for the sport, I have at least another seven years of career. Distak is my coach, Rogerão my fitness coach, the staff of R9 are my physiotherapists and I am with Fabiano Farah, which is also agent of Ronaldo, Marta, and Moraes of Vasco. I am very happy and very confident with these changes", Vitor finalized.

Feb 7, 2006
Kharitonov vs. Mighty Mo on K-1 12/31

Sergei Kharitonov's official site has confirmed that the Russian will return to action at K-1's massive "DYNAMITE!!" show on New Year's Eve in Japan. The heavyweight, having defeated Alistair Overeem in HERO'S this September, has a new challenge on 12/31 when he faces another man who is 2-0 this year, Mighty Mo.

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Global Teams with Former PRIDE Staff

M-1 Global and former members of Dream Stage Entertainment announced Wednesday in Tokyo that they will collaborate on a New Year's Eve event at Saitama Super Arena.

Among the representatives present at the news conference, which was held at the arena, were M-1 Global executive committee member and M-1 Mix Fight president Vadim Finkelstein, PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), former PRIDE president Nobuhiko Takada (Pictures), PRIDE's former public relations representative Keiichi Sasahara, DEEP boss and former Bushido matchmaker Shigeru Saeki, former PRIDE MC's Kei Grant and Lenne Hardt as well as Daisuke Sato, the man behind the production for the company.

The large group of former and current power brokers of the Japanese MMA market announced a joint venture for Dec. 31 that will have Emelianenko fight in the main event against Korean kickboxer Hong Man Choi (Pictures).

Other possible participants named were former Bushido aces Hayato Sakurai (Pictures), Shinya Aoki (Pictures), Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures), Mitsuhiro Ishida (Pictures) and Kazuo Misaki (Pictures). Top foreign free agents mentioned were Joachim Hansen (Pictures), Ricardo Arona (Pictures), Gilbert Melendez (Pictures) and Luiz Azeredo (Pictures). M-1 also brought up Russian heavyweights Aleksander Emelianenko (Pictures) and Roman Zentsov (Pictures).

Although the event will not be available on Japanese cable TV, SkyPerfecTV has agreed to carry the show on pay-per-view.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Tim Kennedy on Dec. 15

The International Fight League’s Tim Kennedy (8-1) will replace a medically suspended Sean Salmon to take on Jason “Mayhem” Miller (19-5) in the co-main-event of a Dec. 15 HDNet Fights event.

The exclusive news comes from Adam Morgan of fiveouncesofpain.com. (Don’t be surprised to see the news un-sourced elsewhere, though.)

A representative from HDNet Fights today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that an official announcement will be made sometime today.

The Dec. 15 event takes place at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, and features another co-main-event of Frank Trigg vs. Edwin Dewees.

Kennedy, an active Army ranger, is riding an eight-fight win streak, which includes a previous decision victory over Miller at a February 2003 Extreme Challenge event. Kennedy is a late replacement for Salmon, who suffered a quick knockout (via flying knee) to Jorge Santiago in this past weekend’s Strikeforce four-man middleweight tournament. Salmon was suspended indefinitely pending a doctor’s clearance, but even when cleared, he faces a minimum 45-day suspension.

Kennedy, who’s 2-0 in the IFL, has been tapped as a replacement even though he’s scheduled to fight in the IFL’s World Grand Prix two weeks after the HDNet Fights event.

Miller, who recently signed a three-fight deal with HDNet Fights, last competed at WEC 27 in May and picked up a unanimous-decision victory over Hiromitsu Miura. The former Icon Sport middleweight champion has won 12 of his past 14 fights. The two losses came to notables Georges St. Pierre and Trigg.

The full card for the event includes:

Tim Kennedy vs. Jason Miller
Frank Trigg vs. Edwin Dewees
Yves Edwards vs. Alonzo Martinez
Pete Spratt vs. Tristan Yunker
Freddie Espiricueta vs. CB Dollaway
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Robert Villegas
Chris Bowles vs. Cory Mahon
Patrick Castillo vs. Jay White
Jason House vs. Liam McCarty
Lee King vs. Marcus Lanier

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Leaving California for Feb. 23 Show

The California-based Strikeforce organization will host its next show on Saturday, Feb. 23 at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Wash. It’ll be the organization’s first-ever show outside California.

On Monday Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz confirmed the upcoming event with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Strikeforce is coming off this past weekend’s show at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The event, broadcast live by Yahoo! Sports, drew an announced crowd of 8,233 for a live gate of $387,685.

The Tacoma Dome, home of the organization’s next event, can seat more than 17,000 people.

Although he confirmed that the event will not air on pay-per-view, Afromowitz said it was too soon to confirm a broadcast partner for the event. And while Strikeforce executives are currently piecing together a fight card, one match-up that won’t take place is a title fight between Strikeforce world middleweight champion Frank Shamrock (22-8-1) and Strikeforce headliner Cung Le (5-0).

“That one is definitely happening in San Jose,” Afromowitz said.

Both Shamrock and Le have major followings in San Jose, which is where Strikeforce is headquartered.

This past weekend’s event, dubbed “Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives,” crowned Alistair Overeem as the organization’s first-ever world heavyweight champion and Jorge Santiago the winner of the state’s first-ever state-sanctioned tournament. Le defeated Sam Morgan in the night’s main event.

Feb 7, 2006
12/31 M-1 Saitama Superarena Is confirmed tremdous lineup

http://mmamanjapan.blogspot.com/2007/11/1231-m-1-saitama-superarena-is.html
M-1 has held a press conference in Tokyo today. Confirmed at the conference was that Fedor will fight on NYE. The event is supported by M-1, with the help of former Pride staff.

Fighters confirmed for the event:
Fedor Emelianenko
Joachim Hansen
Ricardo Arona
Gilbert Melendez
Luiz Azeredo
Aoki Shinya
Kazuo Misaki
TatsuyaKawajiri
Hayato "Mach" Sakurai
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Hasegawa Hidehiko

The M-1 homepage also mentions Alexander Emelianenko and Roman Zentsov (No mention of Hong Man Choi).

This will without a doubt be the biggest event of the year!!!!

The event will be shown on SkyPerfect PPV.

Tickets can be purchased here: http://www.yarennoka.com/

Feb 7, 2006
Tavares to face Omigawa at UFN 12

Sherdog.com is reporting that Thiago Tavares will face Michihiro Omigawa on Jan. 23 at UFC Fight Night 12.

"I think he is a good opponent," Tavares is quoted as saying in the article. "I think the guys from UFC are trying to build my name again because I'm coming off a loss. That's why they didn't give me a top opponent. Not disrespecting him -- he is a good athlete, fought at the Olympics and in big MMA organizations. He is a middle-level fighter, not top, but I'm training to face him like it is a title shot. Every single fight is the most important fight of my life."

Feb 7, 2006
Jon Fitch expected to fight in Columbus in March

MMAmania.com is reporting that UFC welterweight title contender Jon Fitch is expected to be added to the UFC's fight card scheduled for March 1 in Columbus, Ohio.

According to the report, Akihiro Gono has been proposed as a potential opponent. However, it is believed that Fitch's camp is campaigning for a match against Karo Parisyan.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: “Shogun” to Return in February or March

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC), a longtime PRIDE fighter who made an unsuccessful UFC debut against Forrest Griffin in September, will likely return to the octagon in February or March.

The report comes from Chris Howie of MMANews.com, who quoted Chute Boxe representative Julio Heller.

According to Wednesday’s camp update, Rua is recovering nicely from a post-UFC 76 knee surgery. The 25-year-old (who turns 26 on Sunday) suffered an upset submission loss to Griffin on Sept. 22. Griffin spoiled Rua’s debut — the Brazilian had won 12 of 13 fights before the loss — with a third-round rear-naked choke.

Rua reportedly had a knee injury prior to the fight with Griffin, but the fighter made no mention of it before the fight. In a series of interviews after the event, he said he didn’t want people to think he was using the injury as an excuse.

An opponent hasn’t been named for Rua, but according to MMANews.com, his team thinks a fight with former UFC champion (and current “The Apprentice” contestant) Tito Ortiz “would be a very interesting fight.“

If the team is, indeed, looking at a February or March return, UFC 81 (Feb. 2) and UFC 82 (March 3) appear to be the most likely options.

As it stands, Rua has won 12 of his past 14 fights — nine of which came via knockout or technical knockout. PRIDE’s 2005 Grand Prix Tournament winner had fought for the Japanese-based fight organization since October 2003 and racked up victories over such notables as current UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson, Ricardo Arona and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Feb 7, 2006
ELITEXC FIGHTERS SHOW THANKS

EliteXC Fighters Show Thanks

Los Angeles-based ProElite, Inc.’s Live Fight Division, EliteXC, sponsored a charity event Tuesday in which turkeys were distributed to needy and underprivileged people who'd otherwise go this week without a turkey dinner and all the trimmings.

Six popular EliteXC fighters joined forces with their local neighborhood charity organizations to help donate not simply turkeys or time, but also hope to those in need.

Robbie Lawler, Charles Bennett, Edson Berto, KJ Noons, Gina Carano and Kala Kolohe Hose were each fighters who participated in the organization’s charity event.

“This is our way of reaching out and helping people that may not be as fortunate or well off as some others,” EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw said. “If EliteXC and our fighters made the day better for one person, if we put a smile on one face, we will have done our job.”

Shaw continued, “I really want to thank the fighters. It says a lot about anybody who will take time out of their schedules to go and do some good for others in their community. I am really proud of all of them. We plan to do something like this every holiday season from now on.”

According to a recent EliteXC press release, fighters volunteered in such cities as St. Louis, Mo., Ocala, Fla., Las Vegas, Nev., San Diego, Calif., and Honolulu, Hawaii.

In St. Louis, Mo., EliteXC/Icon middleweight champion Robbie Lawler volunteered at the St. Louis Food Bank. Lawler seemed to put his ‘Ruthless’ side on hold for the day to give back to the people of his new community.

Robbie said, “I might be considered a champion for what I do in the ring, but these volunteers are the real champions.”

Fifteen hundred miles from where Robbie Lawler spent the day in St. Louis, female MMA superstar Gina Carano donated her time by taking turkeys to Safe Nest, a Las Vegas-based organization for women and children of domestic violence.

“I am a tough fighter and I have a great team to support me in the ring, but I choose to pick my battles and step into the ring," Carano said. "These women don’t choose their battles. I want to show women that we are all strong and there are shelters and support services to stand behind them.”

In Ocala, Fl., the ever-lively Charles ‘Krazy Horse’ Bennett joined fellow EliteXC lightweight Edson Berto at the Interfaith Food Bank, ready to participate in one of the organization’s busiest days of the year.

Bennet said, “I am proud to have the chance to give something back to the people in my community. This is my home and I want to work with EliteXC to do more things like this for every holiday.”

KJ Noons, an in-ring nemesis of the aforementioned Bennett and the recent winner of EliteXC’s lightweight championship belt, volunteered at The Fallbrook Food Pantry, near San Diego, Calif. Noons helped distribute food to people who were recently affected by the destructive fires in southern California.

Noons enjoyed the time he spent volunteering and said, “I wish I had a world championship belt to give each of the workers who have been devoting countless hours for all these families day in and day out. They are truly an inspiration.”

Hawaii favorite and No. 1 middleweight contender, Kala Kolohe Hose, brought turkeys to the Institute of Human Services in Honolulu.

He said, “Since I signed on with Icon Sport and EliteXC, I have realized how lucky I am,’’ he said. “I have become much more aware of those less fortunate. I am ready to reach out and help my fellow man.

This might be my first visit to this organization, but it won’t be my last. This is the beginning of a new relationship for me. I am proud to give back to the people in my community.”

Kala continued, “Inside a cage, mixed martial artists are known for being the meanest, roughest, baddest, toughest, most well-conditioned, determined and dedicated athletes in the world of sports. Outside the cage, they are among the most compassionate, humble and caring people one ever would want to meet.”

EliteXC president Gary Shaw hopes that Tuesday’s stride was but the first of many opportunities for the EliteXC organization and its fighters to give back to the communities that help support them.

“During Christmas time, we will be giving our athletes’ time and gifts to children,’’ Shaw said. “One smile on one child’s face makes it all worth it. At EliteXC, it will always be about giving back to the community.’’

Feb 7, 2006
ART OF WAR 9 IN CHINA ON SATURDAY

Art of War Fighting Championship, the premiere mixed martial arts event in China, returns to Beijing on Nov. 24 with its ninth installment entitled ‘Fists of Fury.’

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai kickboxing expert Erik Kalseth from Sweden will make his Art of War debut against Zhang Tie Quan in the main event. Kalseth has been training at Legacy Gym in Thailand under the tutelage of Danish Muay Thai superstar Ole Laursen. Kalseth looks to hand Quan his first professional loss.

Two-time China national Sanda champion Aotegen Bateer returns to take on Jose "Pitu" Sans of Spain. Sans is a veteran mixed martial artist and Muay Thai fighter who recently made an appearance on the martial arts reality show Contender Asia. Both are looking to boost their careers and a victory will certainly send them in the right direction.

K-1 veteran Ole Laursen takes on Liu Guang Yao in his Art of War debut. Liu Guang Yao is coming off a draw in his last bout and will be looking for a win over his Danish opponent. Laursen is known for his devastating kicks and elbows and has faced big names such as Buakaw Por Pramuk and Andy Sowers.

Also on the fight card is Croatian Zidov Dominik of Contender Asia fame. His opponent will be Wang Guan of China. Known for his aggressive fighting style, Zidov is looking to prove that his appearance on Contender Asia was not a fluke. Dominik is the 2006 All Swiss Sanda champion and the current All Swiss Muay Thai champion. Wang Guan is unfazed by his opponent's credentials. Despite his youth, Wang Guan displays maturity inside the ring well beyond his 22 years. Calm and collected during his fights, Wang Guan is a calculating fighter with knock out power in both hands.

Art of War FC 9 - Fists of Fury fight card:

MAIN EVENT
Zhang Tie Quan (China) vs. Erik Kalseth (Sweden)

MAIN CARD
Liu Guang Yao (China) vs. Ole Baguio Laursen (Denmark)
Aotegen Bateer (China) vs. Jose Pitu Sans (Spain)
Wang Guan (China) vs. Zidov Dominik (Croatia)
Dai Shuang Hai (China) vs. Tadsapol Sinan (Thailand)
He Peng (China) vs. Sanun Somthong (Thailand)
Yang Jian Ping (China) vs. Nemat Bobomuhamedov (Uzbekistan)

UNDER CARD
Liu Jing Wen vs. TBA
Wang Lei vs. Yang Da Hu
Yang Liang vs. Zhang Ya Fei
Yan Meng Meng vs. Wan Fei Long
Xu Lei vs. Yu Long Fei

* fight card subject to change

Feb 7, 2006
MCCULLOUGH TO DEFEND WEC BELT IN FEBRUARY

"Razor" Rob McCullough will next defend his World Extreme Cagefighting lightweight title in early February against Jamie Varner, sources from both camps have confirmed to MMAWeekly.com.

McCullough won the belt by defeating Kit Cope at the WEC's first show under Zuffa control in January. He defended the title for the first time this September with a win over Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Rich Crunkilton. His first round TKO silenced critics who thought he would struggle with the tough veteran.

Varner fights out of Arizona Combat Sports in Phoenix. A two-time UFC veteran, he is best known for his back-and-forth battle with Hermes Franca. Since then, he defeated Jason Gilliam at UFC 68 and made the jump to the WEC in August with a win over Sherron Leggett.

"I think it's going to be an interesting fight," McCullough told MMAWeekly.com. "He definitely has the skills to negate my skills, and therefore so do I. I think it's going to be a great fight for the first couple of rounds, and then hopefully he's packed a sleeping bag."

McCullough just returned from the Baja 1000, an off-road racing event that spans the Baja California Peninsula. He had expected to fight Alex Karalexis in November, but was unconcerned when his opponent was changed to Varner.

"I think he's a younger version of Rich (Crunkilton)," McCullough continued. "I don't think his submission game is anywhere near Rich's, but he's definitely got a quick shot, and he changes levels fast. I think his gas tank is going to be questionable."

Champion or not, he is still anxious to prove himself as a serious competitor.

"Nowadays, it's not a matter of 'hey, I want to fight,' it's a matter of who you fight," he said. "Because I could sit around and beat up scrubs all day long, but that's not going to give me any joy, as long as I'm taking (fighting) for real. Hopefully, they keep (giving me) guys they think are going to beat me, because it makes my training that much better. Gives me a reason to pop out of bed in the morning."

Feb 12, 2004
Matt Serra will have to withdraw from the UFC 79 card due to an injury he suffered after his training earlier this week.

The current UFC welterweight champion, who was scheduled to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79, suffered a herniated disc in his lower back on Monday following a routine training session in his Long Island gym.
“This is devastating news because they were so looking forward to fighting each other, said White.

“Unfortunately injuries happen and I look forward to Serra recovering quickly, and to getting him back into the Octagon.”

Serra had just finished a Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling training session and was demonstrating a move when he became gripped with pain and fell to the floor. Serra went to the hospital and underwent an MRI, which revealed the herniated discs in his lower back.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do,” said Serra. “I’ve never had a back injury before; I could hardly get off of the MRI table. There is no way I can train through this, and I’m devastated, especially because this was such an important fight. I was looking forward to fighting Matt Hughes. All my training was going phenomenally until Monday – All I can do now is to get better and to fight again as soon as possible.”

GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!