MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
GEORGES ST-PIERRE ON THE ROAD BACK TO THE BELT

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight titleholder Georges St-Pierre has been out of action for three months now and it appears likely he won’t be returning to the Octagon for at least three more, but it’s not without good cause.

St-Pierre, after losing his championship to Matt Serra this past April, returned to form in his most recent fight with fellow contender Josh Koscheck at UFC 74 in August. He beat Koscheck at his own game, outwrestling the four-time NCAA All-American, en route to a unanimous decision victory.

Serra and Matt Hughes, the only two fighters to defeat St-Pierre, face each other on Dec. 29 for the UFC welterweight championship that Serra currently holds. St-Pierre sits waiting in the wings, as he is next in line for a shot at the winner.

“I don't know when. I don't know where,” he said of his pending title shot. “I just know that it is going to happen.”

As he waits, he gave MMAWeekly.com some of his thoughts on the fight.

“If I would have to pick, on paper, Matt Hughes I think is a better fighter,” said St-Pierre. “But that night it is not the better fighter who is going to win the fight, it is the guy who fights the best. There are a lot of factors that can influence that.”

That’s not to say that he would prefer that Hughes win the bout, especially since Serra took the belt he once possessed.

“It's pretty hard to pick, but like said, on paper, I think Matt Hughes is the better fighter. But I would like to fight Serra more than Hughes.”

While he waits, St-Pierre has had plenty of time to reflect on his rise to the top and subsequent fall from grace.

“I think that loss I had against Matt Serra is the best thing that ever happened to me,” he philosophized. “You're going to see a new Georges St-Pierre ... somebody who is stronger mentally, physically, and somebody who is a way better fighter than he was before.”

For a long time, he has been considered “the next evolution” in the sport of mixed martial arts, a representative of the new breed of fighter that doesn’t come from one discipline and then add the other elements necessary to become a complete fighter, but trains in everything equally.

St-Pierre is constantly working on advancing his skills, especially during these down times, when he feels he can make some necessary improvements to his game.

“When I'm not training for a fight, I'm training to improve on my weaknesses. For me it's great because I have a lot of time between fights, so I can work and become a better version of what I was before.”

The only thing he can’t work on during these in-between times is what he considers his primary weakness at this point in his career.

“(My main weakness) is my experience,” said the affable Canadian. “I don't have as much experience as guys like Matt Hughes, Serra, guys at my level. But I think I have a hedge on the athletic part and my skills.”

That’s not to say that he can promise a win every time out. Despite his constant improvement, St-Pierre has no qualms that this is a complex sport and any fighter, including him, can lose on any given day. But he does promise not to make the same mistake twice.

“I don't tell my fans that I will never lose again, nobody can promise such a thing. But I can promise everybody that I will never lose a fight for the same reason that I've lost before. Some guys, when they lose, they go down. Some guys, when they lose, they come back up. I am the second type of guy.”

At just 26-years-of-age, he seems very mature, but as he says, maybe that is due to the trials that he has already faced.

“I felt the ultimate glory by becoming a world champion, but I also felt the ultimate humiliation by losing the fight that everybody was expecting me to win ... I think it was important for me, maybe it was meant to be ... to make me somebody with more maturity and better.”

As he waits, St-Pierre knows that it is no easy road back to that ultimate glory that he touched on if ever so briefly. But he will wait and he will work back towards that glory, his ultimate goal.

“It's always been a tough division and I think it is always going to be a tough division. I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but my plan is to get back to the title.”

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Fedor To Fight Hong Man Choi in Japan On New Year's Eve

Fedor Emelianenko has his mind made up. He will be fighting in Japan on New Years Eve vs. Hong Man Choi, an experienced K-1 fighter. This comes courtesy of a report on the Greg Savage radio show.
Fedor recently expressed his strong desire to fight for his Japanese fans, in Japan on New Years eve, in an open letter posted on his personal website. He wanted to thank them for the years of support they've shown him during his time spent there fighting for the now defunct PRIDE organization.

M-1 president Monte Cox came out a few days later saying that M-1 tried to work something out to make it happen for Fedor but couldn't come to an agreement, and that Fedor would not be fighting until February.

Now comes the news that Fedor, who signed a non-exclusive contract with M-1 has decided to fight outside the M-1 organization and will fight in an event organized by Hustle Pro Wrestling, which is run partially by former PRIDE officials.

Fedor has fought sparingly in the past 2 years; facing only 3 opponents during that span. None of which posed much of a serious threat. The man considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world shouldn't be facing much of a challenge in his next fight either.

Hong Man Choi (7'2", 352 lbs.) has a pituitary medical condition which causes him to continue to grow through out his life. He also has a benign tumor on his pituitary gland that forced him to be denied clearance to fight by the California State Athletic Commission back in 2006. He was originally slated to be Brock Lesner's first MMA opponent, which speaks to his MMA abilities. Though he is an accomplished K-1 fighter (12-3), he has only one MMA fight; a victory against 215 pound Bobby Ologun, himself an inexperience fighter with only two fights to his credit.

Feb 7, 2006
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson Will Be Sitting Out For A While

Dana White was asked about Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's status at the UFC 78 post fight press conference. White said that he would be "sitting out for awhile." He also added that the UFC has plans for him that they can't yet reveal. White did make one thing clear however; Rashad Evans will not get a shot at the title in the near future.
There is increasing speculation that Rampage may be involved, as a coach, with the next TUF season. Forrest Griffin is also being tabbed as his possible counterpart, though nothing has been confirmed. This is interesting as the next TUF season will feature middleweights, and both of the aforementioned names are light heavyweight fighters. The UFC must be having a difficult time finding an intriguing coaching match up at middleweight. It certainly can't help matters that Anderson Silva doesn't speak English.

Meanwhile, F4WOnline.com is speculating that Rampage is having issues with his contract, specifically with how much money he's making. Keep in mind, however, that Rampage has also had issues with a hand injury as well so it's difficult to assess the validity of this claim as of yet.

If there is a contract dispute, look for it to get worked out quickly and without too much media attention. White can ill afford another public contract dispute with one of his champions.

Feb 7, 2006
NBC Is The Latest Network To Jump Into The MMA Foray

NBC has become interested in airing mixed martial arts programming starting early in 2008. Due to the writer's strike the big Networks are turning to reality TV, which doesn't require writers, to fill the void. MMA represents a popular avenue to explore for the big networks, with it's strong base of fans in the teenage and young male demographic.
According to Media Daily News, NBC may link with one of the many operators of MMA events to air either prime-time specials or slot the few-holds-barred programming in late-night.

Though it is not clear which MMA organization NBC will partner with, names like M-1 Global, K-1 and IFL are being bandied about. One organization that has not come up is the UFC.

It appears that the UFC is in "advance discussions" with CBS to air prime-time specials on CBS in the first quarter if the strike continues and a deal could be closed as soon as this week.

May 17, 2004
thanks for the articles shogun.

bout time henderson decided to drop down to 185. i think hes much better at that weight and they need all the quality fighters at 185 they can get.

Feb 12, 2004
Silva vs Hendo will be an insane match. I don't know which way to go cause I know Hendo will be able to take him down but will Silva be able to submit him or get it back on the feet? If it stays on the feet Silva will take it. Both have insane chins tho!! Ahhhhhhh this is a fucking amazing match up!!

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 To Hold Press Conference Tomorrow To Address Fedor's NYE Fight In Japan

According to Mixfight.ru, M-1 Global will hold a press conference tomorrow to discuss Fedor's New Year's Eve event in Japan.
Fedor was apparently asked by mixfight.ru, if he misses the PRIDE organization. His response:

"Pride was a great organization with the best fighters and I believe that now M-1 Global will become new Pride."

It has also been confirmed that Alexander Emelianenko and Roman Zentsov will take part in the event as well.

What is not confirmed at this point, despite heavy rumors to the contrary, is Fedor's opponent. Hong Man Choi is said to be a possibility but nothing has been signed as of today, and Choi is scheduled to take place in a K-1 fight three weeks before New Years Eve, so there could be some complications there.

Feb 7, 2006
GAREB SHAMUS RESIGNS FROM IFL; MORE CHANGES

The International Fight League announced on Tuesday the resignation of co-founder Gareb Shamus, who also served as chairman and chief executive officer. His replacement will be Jay Larkin, who recently joined the IFL as president and chief operating officer.

Shamus started the IFL along with current commissioner Kurt Otto in 2005. His resignation came suddenly after more than two years of service with the
organization.

Working as the head of Wizard World Entertainment, Shamus helped build the IFL from the ground up and although he has resigned his position, he will remain a consultant for the organization.

His replacement, Larkin, worked with Showtime for many years helping to develop live programming and worked extensively to book and grow the company’s boxing coverage through the years.

“Taking a sports and entertainment entity from an idea to an established brand in 14 months is nothing short of amazing. Gareb should be commended for his vision and leadership during that period,” Larkin said in a statement.

Many major changes have shaken up the IFL lately including the releases of prominent coaches such as Frank Shamrock, Maurice Smith, and Don Frye; and now the resignation of Shamus. But there are many more changes on the way according to comments made by Larkin in Wednesday’s third quarter earnings conference call.

“There are a number of things we need to do to improve our cash flow and enhance the investment value in the IFL,” said the new CEO. “We will be making changes to the league in reorganizing our events to reduce costs, but also improve them as well.

“Rather than a New York team versus a Houston team versus a Los Angeles team, which was a fabrication, quite honestly … we’re going to go to the reality of it. The reality is that all these fighters fight with different disciplines. They all have different techniques and that’s really where the true competition is going to come from is all these different disciplines fighting each other.”

Larkin also alluded to the possibility that their current situation regarding television is not set in stone saying, “We’re in the process of fine-tuning our television relationships and in a few days, hope to announce our partner for our December event.”

Up until Wednesday, most assumptions were that the Dec. 29 IFL World Grand Prix Finals would air on MyNetwork TV, but Larkin’s comments definitely left that open to question.

“We are not exclusive to the Fox consortium of MyNetwork and FSN. We are talking to several other carriers right now.”

A primary concern to him has been a common complaint among MMA fans; the fights are dated by the time they air on television.

“In this Internet age results of fights are known immediately. There is no compelling reason to watch a taped sports show,” said Larkin. “The only way to offset that is to go live. Alternatively, when we can’t do live TV, we will integrate our sponsors better into the shows. We hope to create the opportunity for advertiser supported Internet webcasting.”

He also indicated that the presentation of the events is going to change.

“We need to make significant cosmetic changes. You’ll see this starting in December. The shows will be hotter, more theatrical, more entertaining, but always maintaining the sports integrity. This is a sporting event and will be treated as such.”

One thing he indicated that won’t change, at least not in the same manner as the resignation of Shamus, is the presence of Kurt Otto, the IFL’s commissioner.

“He is certainly on board,” Larkin stated. “His role as the commissioner remains the same, if not enhanced. I am going to find myself relying on him more and more. I am certainly new to the MMA world and Kurt is an expert when it comes to the competition and the matchmaking.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jon Fitch Offered Fight Vs. Akihiro Gono At UFC 82. His Camp Wants Karo Parisyan.

Jon Fitch has apparently been offered a fight against Akihiro Gono to take place at UFC 82.
Fitch will fight on the card, according to MMAMania.com, but his camp would really like a fight against Karo Parisyan and are actively campaigning to make that fight happen instead of the Gono fight.

Gono is a very talented fighter with tons of international experience, but for Fitch, going for a win against a quality contender such as Parisyan makes more sense as it would automatically catapult him into championship contention status.

Feb 7, 2006
More Info On New "Apprentice" Season Feat. Tito Ortiz

The Apprentice will regain its former Thursday, 9pm slot when it returns for its new season in January.

The Donald Trump reality contest enjoyed its best ever ratings in the coveted slot - now occupied by comedies such as The Office and Scrubs - several years ago, but the WGA strike has now created an opportunity for the series to return to its former home.

The seventh season will feature a cast of 14 celebrities competing for a charity prize fund of $250,000. The contestants include country music singer Trace Adkins, model/actress Carol Alt, actor Stephen Baldwin, gymnast Nadia Comaneci, 2005's Playboy Playmate Tiffany Fallon, softballer Jennie Finch, UFC fighter Tito Ortiz, Spanish TV producer Nely Galan and actress Marilu Henner.

The more recognisable names include former heavyweight boxing champ Lennox Lewis, Kiss frontman Gene Simmons, America's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan, Sopranos star Vincent Pastore and infamous season one contestant Omarosa.

"This will be the most exciting season of The Apprentice yet - maybe even better than season one," said Trump, who also serves as executive producer. "Our fourteen celebrity contestants are incredible individually, and as a group they will make [this] one of the hottest shows on television."

The Celebrity Apprentice premieres Thursday, January 3 at 9pm on NBC.

Feb 7, 2006
Sperry Lands in U.S., Will Coach IFL Team

Mario Sperry (Pictures) separated with Brazilian Top Team a few months ago and moved to the United States. The BJJ black belt is still looking for a place to live and establish his IFL team, but meanwhile he is sharpening his technique in Las Vegas.

"I'm on a search here, giving seminars and looking for a better place to live, so then I will be able to set up my team," Sperry said. "Now I'm in Las Vegas, where I'm training BJJ at my friend Sergio Penha's gym. I was not training before because my leg was injured, but now I'm better."

Sperry hopes to fill his IFL squad with good athletes.

"I'm dealing with IFL promoters," he said. "I signed the contract and everything else, but they are so involved with this grand prix at the end of this year, that I think only in January they will make the official announcement, and I can tell the names I have in my mind. I hope to set up a strong team to not disappoint anybody."

Just like other experienced IFL coaches have done, including Renzo Gracie (Pictures) and Pat Miletich (Pictures), the Brazilian said he would be ready to face opposing coaches in the ring. He doesn't deny the possibility of fighting in other organizations either, but he'll only decide after a couple of weeks.

"The good point with the IFL is that they are a very flexible organization," Sperry said. "As a coach, I can fight in this organization. The IFL's president himself told me he would like to see me against another coach. I told him he only has to wait for me to set up my life here in the USA, to establish my training routine. But I was invited to fight in other organizations here in America and in Europe, so now I have to set my life to train well. IFL allows us to fight in other organizations, since it doesn't conflict with the organization's purpose."

With 20 years of experience in the sport, Sperry analyzed how he sees the popularity of MMA in the United States based on the time he's been living in the country.

"The business is growing," he said. "Proof of this is the growing audience. These are facts spread by the press, saying that MMA is the sport that grows more in America. Things are running well here; the sport is growing a lot. And I think it will grow even more, inciting business in Europe, Brazil and Japan. It will be good to everybody involved in this sport all over the world."

After the fight against Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures), Randy Couture (Pictures) surprised the world by saying that Sperry had helped him in his training.

"Randy Couture (Pictures) is a very polite guy," Sperry told Sherdog.com. "I've known him for a long time. I was passing through Las Vegas and I went to see his gym. He invited me to train, and I was without training, so we trained for 10 days. It was very interesting. I exchanged information with him. He is a high-level athlete, very experienced and well prepared."

Feb 7, 2006
B.J. Penn Wants “One to Two Fights a Year for 10 Years”

Former UFC welterweight champion B.J. Penn (11-4-1 MMA, 7-3-1 UFC), who next fights Joe Stevenson on Jan. 19 for the UFC’s interim lightweight championship, says he wants to fight for another decade — but only at a pace of one or two fights per year.

The 28-year-old Hawaiian discussed his future plans with Thomas Gerbasi of UFC.com.

Penn, a Brazilian Jiu-Jistu black belt, says he’s not going to simply dominate his weight class for a few years and then retire. Instead, he wants to sustain his career for another decade by fighting no more than a couple times per year.

As he told Gerbasi, “I don’t want to do the five fights a year thing for three years and then I’m done, like all these fighters have done. I want to do one to two fights a year for the next 10 years. I want to keep my name out there for the next 10 years.“

The former 170-pound champion returned to the UFC in 2006 after leaving the organization in 2004 over a contract dispute. Upon his return, he suffered back-to-back losses to Georges St. Pierre (in a close split decision) and Matt Hughes (third-round TKO) before serving as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter 5” earlier this year. He defeated rival coach Jens Pulver at the show’s live finale in June.

Penn and Sherk have been in somewhat of a war of words lately. Sherk has questioned the legitimacy of an “interim” title while Penn continually points to Sherk’s failed UFC 73 drug test as a knock on his character.

In fact, in a recent interview with the Honolulu Advertiser, Penn hinted that he’d be opposed to fighting Sherk if the fighter’s appeal of his failed drug test is upheld. That hearing is set to take place Dec. 4, though it’s been delayed twice before.

Regardless, Penn will have to first get past Stevenson. Their fight will headline UFC 80, which takes place at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle, England.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Fighters Issued Medical Suspensions

The California State Athletic Commission has issued a slew of medical suspensions following Saturday’s 13-fight Strikeforce event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

The event, “Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives,” featured a headline fight between Cung Le and Sam Morgan, as well as the first-ever state-sanctioned tournament in California history.

The full list of suspensions includes:

Paul Buentello, who was forced into a second-round submission (via strikes) by Alistair Overeem, has been suspended 60 days and can have no contact in training for 60 days because of a laceration near his right eye.
Chris Drumm, who registered a no-contest with Evan Esguerra when he was accidentally hit in the back of the head and was unable to continue, has been suspended 45 days with no contact in training for 30 days.
Bryson Kamaka, who suffered a first-round KO (via knee) to Luke Stewart, has been suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
Sam Morgan, who suffered a third-round TKO (body kick) to Cung Le, has been suspended indefinitely pending a doctor’s clearance. If and when cleared, Morgan will be suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
Alistair Overeem, who forced Paul Buentello into a second-round submission (via strikes), has been suspended 180 days with no contact for 180 days because of a possible finger fracture. The suspension could end early with a doctor’s clearance.
Trevor Prangley, who suffered a first-round TKO (knee to the body) to Jorge Santiago in the tournament finals, has been suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days. Prangley defeated Falaniko Vitale in the first round of the tournament but suffered a good amount of damage in the fight and had his nose bloodied.
Sean Salmon, who suffered a first-round KO to Jorge Santiago via flying knee in the tournament’s first round, has been suspended indefinitely pending a doctor’s clearance. If cleared, Salmon will have a 45-day suspension (with 30 days of no contact). Salmon was taken to the hospital after the fight, all of his tests came back negative, and he was back at his hotel room within a couple hours. He denies the CSAC’s report that he suffered seizures in the cage, which he said was confirmed by his tests at the hospital.
Brian Schwartz, a former world champion kickboxer who lost a unanimous-decision to Lemont Davis, has been suspended 180 days with no contact for 180 days because of a possible fractured left hand. A clean X-ray could clear him of the required suspension. The potential injury could partially explain why Schwartz, who got the second-highest reported salary ($30,000) for the event, had such a disappointing performance.

Bobby Southworth, the Strikeforce world light heavyweight champ who dropped a second-round TKO (due to cuts) to Anthony Ruiz in a non-title fight, has been suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days. The suspension will extend to 60 days with no contact for 60 days unless a doctor clears a cut over Southworth’s left eye.
Falaniko Vitale, who lost a majority decision (via referee’s decision) to Trevor Prangley in the tournament’s first round, has been suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days. The fight was called a majority draw, though one judge had the fight scored 20-18 in Vitale’s favor (the other two judges had it 19-19). However, as the tournament rules dictated, the referee would declare a winner in all draws.
For more information on this event (including event results, fighters’ salaries and an interview with Cung Le) , check out the Strikeforce salaries. Additionally, you can still watch this past Friday’s Strikeforce event (and many other broadcasts and videos) — for free — at Yahoo! Sports.

Feb 7, 2006
Houston Alexander Back in Gym After UFC 78 Loss

After a first-round loss at this past weekend’s UFC 78 event in Newark, N.J., Houston Alexander (8-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is already back in the gym and training.

Alexander suffered a TKO loss to Thiago Silva (12-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC), and as many fans noticed, the Nebraska-based fighter just didn’t seem himself during the loss.

Before the fight, the Alexander bounded to the ring with fire and enthusiasm, but he seemed to change personas as soon as he stepped inside the octagon. There, Alexander showed none of the aggression that had become his trademark in his two previous first-round knockout victories (over Keith Jardine at UFC 71 and Alessio Sakara at UFC 75).

During Saturday’s fight, Alexander looked noticeably out of sorts, and soon after his opponent secured the mount position, he dropped a TKO at 3:25 of the first round.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) followed up with Houston Alexander’s head coach and primary trainer, Mick Doyle, for an update on Alexander. Coach Doyle is a former world champion kickboxer who runs an impressive Muay Thai and grappling gym in Omaha, Neb. (Visit www.mickdoyle.com for more info.)

“It’s just that Houston made mistakes,” Doyle said when asked about Alexander’s loss.“He didn’t stick to the gameplan. But he’s a proud guy, and he’s going to come back. He knows he’s got stuff to continue to work on. He didn’t really get a chance to demonstrate what he had worked on because his head wasn’t there.”

“He feels that he let the fans down, and he really appreciates the well-wishes they’ve given him. They’ll see the real Houston Alexander back in the ring here shortly. It doesn’t matter who he fights next; he’ll bring his A game.”

After his UFC 71 victory over Jardine, Alexander was back in the gym the next morning training for his next fight. This time appears no different since Alexander didn’t sustain any long-lasting damage.

“Houston didn’t suffer any real injuries; his heart is wounded is all,” Doyle said. “He came back in the gym at 6 a.m. (today) to train with the team. He’s not taking any time off. He wants to fix this so it doesn’t happen again. We’ll take some steps here within the gym to continue to make him better and more dangerous.”

As for Silva, Doyle was all praise, and he said the team didn’t rule out a rematch.

“Thiago was more than gracious, (and it) just shows his level of class.” Doyle continued, “You’ve got two classy fighters with dangerous games out there, and unfortunately, someone’s got to lose. This was his time, but we’ll learn from it, and next time, these guys meet you’ll see a different performance out of Houston Alexander.”

With the win, Silva is now undefeated in 12 straight fights. And with 10 of the 12 victories coming via knockout (including a perfect seven of his past seven), Silva’s name is steadily moving up the list of the best in the UFC’s light heavyweight division.

With the loss, Alexander moves to 2-1 in the UFC and 8-2 in his professional career. Despite the loss, Alexander remains a threat, and with a recently signed long-term deal, he still has a long future in the UFC.

Doyle and Alexander haven’t yet spoken to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva about a next fight. Doyle had something of a warning, though.

“I sure feel bad for Houston’s next opponent,” he said.