Man did E-40 go platinum yet?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
G

GANGSTAEIGHT

str8sidin said:
i dont see any westcoast commercials on bet.
i've seen them play syndicated west coast rap commercials... not that it does any good for pushin lugs out of state.

May 12, 2002
dope.st
Tony said:
I think if E-40 was from the East Coast and dropped that same album it would be double platinum by now.
Hell yeah - thats too true. You only need to see how many different cats out on the East can put out a weak-ass album and sell it platinum. Thats some craziness.

One reason: the East coast got worldwide distribution locked down. Half these cats have European releases of their shit however wack it is. The labels are doing things major even if their acts cant spit more than one hot song.

Jive supposed to be big but I'm not holding my breath for them to drop grit & grind over here like that. You can't even buy it on import in most record stores over here, as far as most people know it doesn't exist. But everything coming off the East is here one by one as soon as it drops.

Jive aren't handling their business properly - they've given Mystikal way more exposure and promotion. 40 is 8 solid albums deep on Jive and they still havent tried to market him to the masses. That's some sorry shit.

May 12, 2002
dope.st
Tony said:
Look at Cash Money they drop albums with hot beats and simple repetitive rhymes and they go platinum within weeks. Eminem drops his album he goes platinum instantly. You have artists who pop up out of nowhere (from the East Coast and South, i.e. Nelly, Fabulous) and they go platinum or gold withouth a problem. But then what you have in E-40 is a creative rapper that comes up with new and clever slang, can switch up on the flows, can adapt to any beat, and his lyrics never get boring or predictable, also that has been rappin for who knows how long and he can't even get voted in the top 50 MC's of all-time. The he drops Grit and Grind (for Nationwide audiences not just the bay) and he's only at 160K?
Thats what I'm talking about. Every word there I been thinking too, I cant figure it out unless Jive is not handling things properly.

And on that Eminem album, I know he going to sell whatever with his millions of fans, but I HATED that last album, I didnt feel one track.

40 was on like 50k on the first week off the back of Automatic. It's like two months and he at 160k. This shit isnt getting out properly somewhere. Like Tony says, why everyone heard of Fabolous but not 40. I consider myself a hip hop junkie but I couldn't tell you who put Fabolous on, who he down with or even which producers he works with. To me he came out of nowhere and got his CD everywhere.

Meanwhile 40 been putting it down for years and half the world ain't heard of him.

That's not right - period.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
TheWholeDamn said:

Thats what I'm talking about. Every word there I been thinking too, I cant figure it out unless Jive is not handling things properly.

And on that Eminem album, I know he going to sell whatever with his millions of fans, but I HATED that last album, I didnt feel one track.

40 was on like 50k on the first week off the back of Automatic. It's like two months and he at 160k. This shit isnt getting out properly somewhere. Like Tony says, why everyone heard of Fabolous but not 40. I consider myself a hip hop junkie but I couldn't tell you who put Fabolous on, who he down with or even which producers he works with. To me he came out of nowhere and got his CD everywhere.

Meanwhile 40 been putting it down for years and half the world ain't heard of him.

That's not right - period.

Right on!

Apr 25, 2002
Bayrider 12 said:
I dont think its JIVE anymore only, I think its the game period. Like it or not, comsumers taste change. They like Nelly, Big Tymers and that kinda shit.
The thread can end now because this is all that needs to be said. I don't know why but the idea that peoples tastes change over time, for some people is completely ludacris and unreasonable....which is ridiculous!