Jim Rome goin' off on Barry

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 17, 2002
Barry is an effing Boss & Jim Rome has finally gotten on the Gravy Train... Peep this transscript from the radio show:

"The Giants lost to the Rockies in Denver last night 8-7, but Barry did his part, as he always does, hitting a home run number 698. That’s right. He's 2 home runs shy of 700. Only the Babe and Hank Aaron have hit 700, and he is right there, and no one seems all that impressed. 7-FREAKING HUNDRED! That’s ridiculous. And considering that he has another one in Coors Field tonight, it could come as soon as this evening. 700!

Shouldn’t this be a bigger deal than it seems like it is? Didn’t 500 used to be a big deal? When guys would get 500, the game would stop, they would give a little speech, they would unravel some banner on the outfield wall, and everyone would give the guy a standing ovation? And now the guy is going to get 700, and just keep right on going? Then again, I guess when everyone else hit these milestones, they were at the end of the line and it might have been their last moment in the sun. Not Barry.

Hell, the way he has hit the ball the last 5 years, he is going to go over 800 in mid 2006, so why bother stopping to admire number 700? And the guy could go right by 700 without even taking a breath. Coors Field tonight. Then three against the Diamondbacks. (And real quick, there is absolutely no way to describe how bad the Diamondbacks are this season. Unless you watch them play every night, it is incomprehensible.)

And then Barry gets 3 more in Milwaukee. Granted, he will probably only see 5 or 6 strikes total in those 7 games, but with those 5 strikes, he’ll hit 4 of them for jacks. 700? TOTALLY RIDICULOUS! And give Barry his MVP Award. I don’t want another Jeff Kent, Terry Pendleton situation. Give it to him. He is the only guy on the team and he has single handedly kept them in it. He changes the entire complexion of games by himself. He’s the MVP. With all due respect to Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Beltre, Bonds is the guy.

If Barry stays interested and healthy, and it looks like he will, he could finish with 800+ homers. And that is easily the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Maybe when he hits number 800, people will get excited. 40 homers a year for 5 straight seasons in his late 30’s. That’s normal."

as posted on www.jimrome.com

May 2, 2002
J Pusha said:
Then three against the Diamondbacks. (And real quick, there is absolutely no way to describe how bad the Diamondbacks are this season. Unless you watch them play every night, it is incomprehensible.)
lol

Jun 18, 2004
J Pusha said:
And give Barry his MVP Award. I don’t want another Jeff Kent, Terry Pendleton situation. Give it to him. He is the only guy on the team and he has single handedly kept them in it. He changes the entire complexion of games by himself. He’s the MVP. With all due respect to Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Beltre, Bonds is the guy.

as posted on www.jimrome.com
Can't say it much realer than that.

Apr 25, 2002
Real fucking talk. Jim Rome is great.

I'm surprised DaytonFamily hasn't posted in this thread saying Barry sucks yet.

The guy is very hateable. I think he's great cause he doesn't try to carry a bullshit public image like some superstars :::coughSAMMYSOSAcough::: But to say he sucks is just crazy.

Apr 25, 2002
He is one of the best hitters in history and maybe the best a lot of us will ever live to see, but unless he can prove he's never used no steroids or HGH or whatever the records are meaningless in the eyes of a lot of people... That's why it's not a "bigger deal than it seems like it is," so many people are convinced that Barry was using that shit that they just expect him to break the record and don't care about it... And as long as people have their doubts about that, they're not gonna give him props as a hitter for average, because even though steroids wouldn't help him with his eye or how he makes contact the average sports fan that don't know shit will tie the two together anyway and call all his numbers into question.

Apr 25, 2002
G-Dubb said:
He is one of the best hitters in history and maybe the best a lot of us will ever live to see, but unless he can prove he's never used no steroids or HGH or whatever the records are meaningless in the eyes of a lot of people...
This is bullshit and it should be the opposite. Prove he did it before you jump to conclusions.

I think a majority of it is also that people just don't like him because he doesn't front like some super nice guy.

Apr 25, 2002
jay deuce said:
This is bullshit and it should be the opposite. Prove he did it before you jump to conclusions.

I think a majority of it is also that people just don't like him because he doesn't front like some super nice guy.
MLB's lack of action is just gonna cause speculation. They should prove he did it or prove he didn't and be done with it... But by not doing anything they're just letting people believe whatever they want. As long as they don't come out and try to prove it one way or the other, people are gonna think what they want.

...and no, he doesn't try to front like a nice guy, it wouldn't help anyway, most people agree that he's an asshole. I don't think any of that matters anyway, unless he's proven innocent or guilty people are gonna think what they want. He's not trying to do anything to put the rumors to rest, so people will continue to think that a guy who's 39 years old can't naturally grow an inch taller and get a bigger hat size in the course of one year (which doesn't sound unreasonable to me.)

Jun 18, 2004
G-Dubb said:
MLB's lack of action is just gonna cause speculation. They should prove he did it or prove he didn't and be done with it... But by not doing anything they're just letting people believe whatever they want. As long as they don't come out and try to prove it one way or the other, people are gonna think what they want.

...and no, he doesn't try to front like a nice guy, it wouldn't help anyway, most people agree that he's an asshole. I don't think any of that matters anyway, unless he's proven innocent or guilty people are gonna think what they want. He's not trying to do anything to put the rumors to rest, so people will continue to think that a guy who's 39 years old can't naturally grow an inch taller and get a bigger hat size in the course of one year (which doesn't sound unreasonable to me.)
Fuck that shit...do you know Barry Bonds? People think he's an asshole because sports writers think he's an asshole. How he is portrayed to the fans by the media, is that he is aloof, and standoffish, and doesn't give a shit about the fans...which may be true, but the only reason it's written that way is because he is unaproachable to the writters...fuck a critic (Rick Reilly)...Ted Williams was an asshole too...who gives a shit, still one of the greatest hitters ever....and about him getting huge in one year...look at highlites since he got to the Giants, and you can see a steady increase over a ten year period...fuck the haters...steroids can't hit baseballs...700 coming tonight.