i burned a cd and the music skips whut can i do???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
i need a lil help.

i burned my brother a cd with our new burner last night,my brother was playing it today and said the music skips.

i tryed trouble shooting but they use computer language i don't understand.

the only thing i think i might have trouble in is underbuffing???

i'm not sure if thats my problem.

i'm using nero.

can anyone help?

May 8, 2002
make sure the disks are clean sometimes fingerprints will make it skip. i once burned a cd , pulled it out the burner put it in the car and it stated skipping later when i looked at it, it had fingerprints so i wiped them and it worked fine. check both the master and the copy to make sure they are clean

Apr 25, 2002
cool thats whut my brother suggested.i'll try again soon.

also when i read about the transfer between my cd rom to burner it said to turn my screen saver off.so i did that so i hope the combination works.

any other suggestions guys?

Aug 6, 2002
Mcleanhatch is right, make sure your cd's are clean. also you might want to think about transfering them into mp3's then burning it to a cd. It cleans up the tracks if they skip.

Apr 25, 2002
alright.

i hope thats it.

also i never converted cd's to mp3's before so i don't know how i can do that.

but it sounds like a good idea.

when i think about it thats whut i thought the burner was doing in the first place.

cause whut i was doing was copying files off one cd then copying sumore offa another cd.

then when i had all my files

i burned it.

Jun 27, 2002
man im tellin you that easy to fix.......take windex and spray it into your computer through the cd rom slot, if that doesnt work spread peanut butter on one side of a cd and then insert it

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
burn at slower speeds. And you can't play MP3's off a Cd unless the CD player reads MP3's. Why would you wanna listen to MP3's anyway?, they sound like crap compared to the original audio files

Aug 6, 2002
^^^don't forget the jelly

@tooper-you can download free programs from www.cnet.com that convert your cd's to mp3's. The cd burner automatically converts mp3's into wave files, that is what the file needs to be in order to be played on a cd player.

Apr 25, 2002
so burning at a slightly lower speed will help if my cd rom is kinda old and junky right?

i don't got the best computer.

so clean my cd's (checked they had fingerprints)
i turned off my screen saver (hope that helps)
burn at lower speed (hopefully that works)

any other suggestions?

i'll try it tonight.

Aug 6, 2002
I use mp3's for storage just in case the original gets messed up. mp3's don't sound any different than the original audio file. You only want to burn at lower speed if you have a 1980's cd player. If you have a pretty new player you should be fine, buring slower really has nothing to do with quality of sound.

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
pitty4thebitti said:
I use mp3's for storage just in case the original gets messed up. mp3's don't sound any different than the original audio file. You only want to burn at lower speed if you have a 1980's cd player. If you have a pretty new player you should be fine, buring slower really has nothing to do with quality of sound.
MP3's definitely Sound much different than the original audio files, the Higher Frequencies get truncated(do a comparison, the difference os obvious). I have a Newer Computer, and when I burn Cd's at lets say 8x, it won't play it in some cd Players, like car Stereos. The slower you burn the Shit, the more effective it is. I burn all my audio CD's at 2x. I'm only sayin' this from experience, cuz I've tried many different methods. I'm doin' Rap productions, so maybe my ears my pick up the details a lil more.

Aug 6, 2002
BIG J said:

MP3's definitely Sound much different than the original audio files, the Higher Frequencies get truncated(do a comparison, the difference os obvious). I have a Newer Computer, and when I burn Cd's at lets say 8x, it won't play it in some cd Players, like car Stereos. The slower you burn the Shit, the more effective it is. I burn all my audio CD's at 2x. I'm only sayin' this from experience, cuz I've tried many different methods. I'm doin' Rap productions, so maybe my ears my pick up the details a lil more.
yeah in some of the older stereos cdr's won't play when you record them at high speeds. I have never heard the difference in sound from mp3's and regular audio files, and I've made many cd's. It does depend on when converting your files to mp3 that you do it right, because they can get distorted. You need to know how to use the software. It's not hard. I'm only saying this from experience myself. But it comes down to what ever works for you. Like you said your in productions, so maybe you do pick up on more details....But all my mp3s have been identical in sound, and even better if the cd is scratched. But what ever works for you that's what counts.

May 4, 2002
I hear the difference too. Wav's are the only ones that actually sound like cd quality. But wav files are hard to work with sometimes.

Apr 25, 2002
ok i think it's the speed i'm burning at.

i tried to burn again the first time was at 48x and the second time at 40.

i cleaned my cd's and everything.same problem.

so whut speed do you guys suggest?

also i burned a couple mp3's they worked fine but sum did'nt burn at all it could'nt read a few.i don't trust mp3's anyhow.so i'm sticking to cd's but right now it's not working for me.

May 4, 2002
Your cds might not be able to burn the songs correctly because they might be designed for slower burning speeds. What speed do the cds say is the maximum speed? The ones I have are 48x, and my burner does 32x, and they come out cool. Some blank cds have low speed tolerance, like around 16x. Check and make sure your cds aren't the problem.