DJ QUIK : THE BOOK OF DAVID

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2010
I listened to it two times today. It's not immediatly classic, but there IS definitely a lot of garnish to be heard on the beats. The production actually reminds me a tad of Balance and Options, except more spacey and absorbing.

Apr 25, 2002
Quik branched out on this album from his classic sound big time. Overall it's a dope album and seems like it will grow on me like the chronic 2001 did after a few listens (when I first heard that I didn't know what to think of it bc it's sound was so new and fresh)

Feb 8, 2003
This album is cold then a muthafucka quik did his thang on the beats. i like it more and more i bump it. this music u can bump on a hot day riding or bump with some fine azz hoes.

this shit is smooth u can hit sum azz to this track brah.

Feb 8, 2003
some niggas saying this album dont have classic quik sounds shit listen closely they all have some vintage sound he just added new shit with it bc he still actually play alot instruments. listen to the track below them classic quik drums, triangles, guitar, sythesizer and he tearing that muhfuckin guitar up on it them guitar riffs off the chains cant nobody do them crisp like quik, Robert "Fonksta" Bacon, Michael Sembello, ray parker jr. this shit jammin

for those who dont know who fonksta is he the one who taught quik mostly all that he knows and co produced for him in the beginning of his career. checkem out

Feb 22, 2006
after his past few albums, I know where Quik is at and his mind state in making music. This is a solid album; there aint no denying his skills. There are some beats that I don't like, but I appreciate the production, mixing, and even just the sounds he uses. and i like jon b on the tracks as well.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
As a whole it grew on me after a couple of more spins, still don't like that handful of weak songs. Nobody is perfect tho, the good songs are pretty good so I can't complain too much.

May 1, 2009
This album is solid. As others have mentioned, theres some songs that get the skip, but some really good ones on here too. I understand he isnt known as the best mc, but i'd rather listen to him than most of the featured verses.

Overall id probably give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Nobody has mentioned anything about The End? The first half of the song recreates the intro from Safe and Sound and the second half is one of the best beats on the album and Quik has a smooth flow and even clowns Pharrell.

I think a lot of the negative reviews are from people that quickly skim through a few seconds of each song. Albums like this should be played through in their entirety in a good system to truly appreciate them. After a couple of weeks this CD is sounding better and growing on me more and more...