Did Johanned Mehserle Shoot Oscar Grant in the back on accident

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this case since it first happened... what does this jury look like? ummm, ethnically? not saying that's gonna make or break the outcome, but just curious
No black folks, mostly white, and I think like 3 hispanic folks or some shit. There are a few people on the jury that either KNOW police officers, or have police officers in their families.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
You and I don't think that, but we can't know that.

That is the purpose of having juries; to debate if it's possible he left his house thinking that very thought.

Is that highly unlikely - sure.
is that impossible - no.

The judge should have allowed the jury the freedom to at the very least pursue that admittedly unlikely scenario,
it doesn't matter if it's possible... of course it's possible...

but can it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt?

if not then it doesn't matter

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
No black folks, mostly white, and I think like 3 hispanic folks or some shit. There are a few people on the jury that either KNOW police officers, or have police officers in their families.
well, that's not a good look

I honestly think there's a strong possibility he gets off with manslaughter... possibly even involuntary

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
I think if we deem a jury 'smart enough' to decide a case, they should be 'smart enough' to look at all the options and convict (or not convict) on any charge possible.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I don't disagree but that is for the prosecution to try and prove and the jury to decide.
I see your point, I just think the judge saw no way that murder one could be proven

and he knows the laws better than us, so I think you'd have to trust his decision... or... maybe he's just a racist ass judge and is in support of Mehserle...

either way I think it's irrelevant, there's no way he was gonna be charged with first degree... the prosecution will be lucky to get second degree IMO

Dec 4, 2006
get him with 2nd degree murder..............he should spend the 15 years in prison and be a fucking example to every cop out there that they can go to jail for their stupid actions..

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I think if we deem a jury 'smart enough' to decide a case, they should be 'smart enough' to look at all the options and convict (or not convict) on any charge possible.
This is true...they should be. Unfortunately, many people in this country are incapable of looking at both sides of any story. Many people (like some I know) think the cop must have been right because he was a cop, and argue that Oscar Grant was just another thug...as if killing even the hardest thug is justified when they are face down and unarmed.

It's sad...but even jurors are biased (even when they aren't supposed to be). All it would take is a picture of Oscar Grant in a hoodie sagging his pants...

Dec 2, 2006
Mehserle's conduct the night of the accident was excessive. His negligence supports second degree murder. The judge ruled yesterday the jury can convict of second degree murder, voluntary, or involuntary manslaughter. Grant was not cuffed but was in the process of being cuffed. Mehserle was negligent and should suffer the appropiate consequences. This does not seem to be racially motivated, but an example of another incompetent indivdual placed in a position of authority. People make mistakes but still must suffer the consequences of those mistakes. Mehserle should be no different.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Mehserle's conduct the night of the accident was excessive. His negligence supports second degree murder. The judge ruled yesterday the jury can convict of second degree murder, voluntary, or involuntary manslaughter. Grant was not cuffed but was in the process of being cuffed. Mehserle was negligent and should suffer the appropiate consequences. This does not seem to be racially motivated, but an example of another incompetent indivdual placed in a position of authority. People make mistakes but still must suffer the consequences of those mistakes. Mehserle should be no different.
Well said. He also posed a threat to the cop sitting on Grants neck...just by shooting in that general direction. Total disregard for the safety of anybody present that night.

Dec 2, 2006
I think given the totality of circumstances, Mehserle should be convicted of second degree murder. If it was an accident, why not say as much after it happened? Why resign from your job? In the other six documented cases when an officer mistook his weapon for a taser, ALL made statements and NONE resigned. Not one fact points towards guilt, but combined they do ,imo. Oscar Grant may very well have been a thug, but did not deserve to be shot, let alone tased when it was pretty obvious he and his friends were complying with officers demands. They were sitting on their butts when Grant was pointed at and stood up. He didn't have to resist or comply, they jumped on him instantly.

Dec 2, 2006
Well said. He also posed a threat to the cop sitting on Grants neck...just by shooting in that general direction. Total disregard for the safety of anybody present that night.
I can honestly concieve the mistake happened. But given everything, it just does not add up. He was not a threat. I have followed the case pretty closely and feel the DA misrepresented the facts, therfore, helping the defense. Hopefully the jury sees through the smoke screen the defense is trying to use.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I can honestly concieve the mistake happened. But given everything, it just does not add up. He was not a threat. I have followed the case pretty closely and feel the DA misrepresented the facts, therfore, helping the defense. Hopefully the jury sees through the smoke screen the defense is trying to use.
No, Grant was not a threat...the cop was a threat.

Dec 2, 2006
No, Grant was not a threat...the cop was a threat.
What I mean is that Mehserle could have made the mistake of pulling his gun instead of his taser. It has happened before. Very uncommon, but has occurred. Do I beleive it? No. I think Mehserle intended to injure Grant, but not kill him. His initial statement of he thought Grant had a gun supports this theory. That is all the excuse an officer needs to justify excessive force. Mehserle would have been better off sticking to that. With all the videos, etc. him and his defense attorney cooked up this smoke screen based on media coverage of the incident. Realistically, I knew this before they came out and said it. What else could he say?

Apr 25, 2002
He killed him plain and simple. As a cop he should have had better judgement. Justice needs to be served and he needs to be charged with murder. I think this cop was thinking "fuck this nigger," I'm going to kill him if he continues to resist.

BTW, I'm curious to see what WHITE people or non-blacks think of this incident. Any youtube videos?

you really think he killed him on purpose infront of all those people on bart? as a cop when dude was laying on the ground? im not sure if you been on bart on new years, but its pretty fuckin packed.........i just dont think an officer would be that stupid to cold bloodedly kill someone infront of so many citizens.....if Oscar Grant was killed in a field or on the street with not much witnesses, i could possibly buy the murder charge.........i just dont think that cop gave up his freedoms willingly that easily on that bart station...........

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
An unlawful homicide that occurs in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, which is considered first degree murder by operation of this doctrine. In many modern statutes, only homicides that occur in the course of certain specified felonies are "felony murders." See N.J.S.A. 2C: 11-3 (3). The evil mind or malice that is necessary to find someone guilty of murder is implied or imputed from the actor's intent to commit a felony. See 383 F. 2d 421, 426. For example, if someone burned down a warehouse and thereby committed arson, which resulted in the death of a person in the building, the arsonist is guilty of first degree murder ("felony murder") even if he did not know of the presence of the person and he had taken special precautions to try to avoid any loss of life. The harshness of this doctrine has led to a limitation of its use except against the person who actually committed the underlying felony. See Model Penal Code §§210.1 et seq.
Mehserle was guilty of felony civil rights violations for attempting to taser a restrained suspect, also felony assault to taser somebody, so he should still be charged with first degree murder, like all of us would be, if we did a crime, and killed somebody on "accident" we would still hang.