commercial vs. gangsta/other

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 8, 2002
www.eastsideriderz.com
I thought i'd pose a question to everybody, but this thread isn't on topic....

can anybody in here list 5 NW commercial artists. Sixxness has brought up he aint feeling this nw commercial stuff, but i can't even think of 5 cats who fit that stereo type. And last i heard BREDDY was making stuff for the ladies on a commercial tip.

Another question i have... How many of you have heard any of of TODD G's music? the reason i ask is because in sixxness's opinion he thinks todd g would be commercial....i'm just trying to understand how people are labelling music on these forums...

PS. MO X & LIL G are considered to be under gangsta rap? What do they define there music as?

@ TADOU who the fuck would have a female singing about AK's on a R&B record? I can't think of to many cats who would buy that there. Another question, how many singers have you heard that you consider gangsta singers? There aint very many singers in the NW that are doing enough to even get mentioned, let alone make R&B records about being hard...that imagine in itself is kind of crossed up. Singers period have a more soft sensitive imagine, which conflicts about being a g. LV is really the only guy who ever pulled this off, Nate Dog really has more of a playa feel as does johnny p and levitti. LV was more the gangsta.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
mo and g aren't gangsta rap....i'd put them in "other" lol.....along with dividenz and pain....

Oct 28, 2003
Always gotta keep it underground, it just comes off more real then these commercial cats who now live in nice suburban towns, spittin' about gangster shit. I gotta give props to SLR and BWR.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
Bullet said:
PS. MO X & LIL G are considered to be under gangsta rap? What do they define there music as?
I don't know anybody who considers us to be under the category of gangsta rap. We're not gangsters, neither one of us claim anything and we don't have any affiliations with any gangs. So in the true meaning of the phrase "gangsta rap" don't nobody consider us under that category. But by the media's defination we could be considered "gangsta rap" just based off of how angry some of our lyrics are. I really don't give a fuck, we don't classify our music... our shit comes straight from the heart and we keep it really real in our music.

People assume we're "gangsta rap" because of our angry (at times) lyrical content and our names... but that's just ignorance.

"most people get mistaken about my rap name but the X stands for the way I used to stack change, ain't neva gonna change it, or re-arrange it, that's me, if you don't like it you can eat a dick"

"most people get mistaken about my rap name but the G stands for my muhfuckin last name, ain't neva gonna change it, or re-arrange it, that's me, if you don't like it you can eat a dick"

-- Chorus from -> Mo-X & Lil' G - That's Me

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
mo-x said:
"most people get mistaken about my rap name but the X stands for the way I used to stack change, ain't neva gonna change it, or re-arrange it, that's me, if you don't like it you can eat a dick"

"most people get mistaken about my rap name but the G stands for my muhfuckin last name, ain't neva gonna change it, or re-arrange it, that's me, if you don't like it you can eat a dick"
"most people get mistaken about my rap name but the Fridge stands for the place I up my fat game, ain't neva gonna change it, or re-arrange it, that's me, if you don't like it you can eat a dick"

Yeah, boi!!!

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
mo-x said:
I don't know anybody who considers us to be under the category of gangsta rap. We're not gangsters, neither one of us claim anything and we don't have any affiliations with any gangs. So in the true meaning of the phrase "gangsta rap" don't nobody consider us under that category.
that is another reason i dont consider mo x and lil g gangsta is because theyre not gangstas. one way you could classify music with lyrics like that is "hardcore" i guess.

B

Bosko

I personally don't think it matters if it's commercial or gangsta. It matters if its good or wack. That is the point. Groups like CLipse have made great commercial gangsta music. Good music can't be denied, but some bullshit is just that, whether the most wack gangsta group, or some wack shiny suit hip-hop. The main point is whether it's listenable.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Bosko said:
Good music can't be denied, but some bullshit is just that, whether the most wack gangsta group, or some wack shiny suit hip-hop. The main point is whether it's listenable.

Very true, but your definition of good might be different than the next person....actually, I guarantee it. For example, look at all the teenage girls and shit that worship MTV and all the shit they play....90% of the shit on MTV is wack as fuck, in my opinion, but to all those girls and other people it's the coolest shit in the world.....Listenable is based on personal preference, so it's hard to tell someone, "Hey, Street Level Records is the shit," but if they don't like rap, then they'll say SLR is wack as fuck....or whatever, ya know?

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Fuck that, good music is good music BECAUSE it can be defined. Its just like if you was datin some bomb ass chick...you wouldn't just describe how she's nice, and has a great personality.....you'd mention the race, hair color, skin color, height, build--all that shit.

All this rhetoric, sayin it just to be sayin it and because you think its what everyone else wants to hear....is cool and all...but it aint gonna get shit accomplished.

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
Hip-Hop music got all fucked up when people started breaking it down into genre's. When you listen to music, you listen to what appeals to your ears, rather then it being classified as underground, Seattle, gangsta rap.

In the early stages of hip-hop, it didn't matter that KRS-One was positive East Coast hip-hop and Ice-T was West Coast gangsta rap. What mattered was that these artists were making good music. It didn't matter that NWA was gangsta rap, and Public Enemy was political hip-hop, it mattered that the shit was solid music. Maybe some of you are to young to remember these times in hip-hop.

Classification in genres has somewhat runied hip-hop, and cost alot of artists money. There were times when E-40 would be on the bill of a show with Gang Starr, but these days are over, because now people think that these two styles of music shouldn't be on the same bill. There were times when Easy E would be on the bill of a show with Run DMC, and this was because people just wanted to hear good hip-hop music.

It's a shame that people want to put titles on music, and brainwash the consumer into being a fan of one genre of hip-hop. If you own Jay Z, you should be able to own the Mob Figaz, and not have people question why you are listening to these so-called different brands of hip-hop.

Good music is good music, and that is all that matters. When I got into the music store, I don't look for only one style of hip-hop, I look and listen for shit that sounds good. When you play something in your car, you don't play it because it is so-called Bay Area underground hip-hop, you play it because the shit bumps, and sounds good to your ears.

All of this genre stuff is bullshit. I want the same people that buy Talib Kweli's album to buy my album, not because my music is similar to his, but because my shit sounds good, like his shit sounds good. All of you so-called artists are sadly mistaken, if you are only making music for that 1 fan out there with horse blinders on. I'm not making music for gangsta rap fans, east coast underground fans, backback rap fans, or NW hip-hop fans. I'm making my music for people that want to hear GOOD, QUALITY music. And if you are an artist, I would think that you would be trying to accomplish that same goal. Music is bigger then just the genre classification.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ I think you are getting this wrong, friend. This isnt about promoters putting together shows or artists restricting themselves to only collaborating with certain artists. This is about fans realizing that there IS lines that divide music, and if anything, they aren't just going around BLINDLY, buying every CD in sight, looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

Look...if you ask someone whether they relate more to Scarface or the Little Mermaid, chances are they aren't going to say "i just like good movies". So if people choose to call one a cartoon and one a drama, so be it. If someone chooses to only watch dramas or only watch cartoons, cool. But there are certain ones of us out here who certainly ARE interested in who is considered by the majority to be gangsta or east coast or a battle rapper and so on, to better guide some of our decisions.