Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Omaha born first world champion Terence 'Bud' Crawford dominates Burns

By Kevin Davis

It's been a long hard struggle for Terence Crawford, from a town in which boxing is not know for, to produce one of the world's newest and exciting boxer. The reigning UK champion Ricky Burns, accepted the fight from Crawford, and as the fight started, it was clear the confidence was with Crwaford. With 20 seconds left in the first round, he switch to southpaw and from the forth round on, it was a whitewash. Crawford used great upper body movement, and it was the body work that broke down Burns and had him on the ropes most of the rounds.

With great distance Crawford brought the fight to Burns without give up that real estate in the ring and made Burns reach, and get off balance. The jab was a constant problem for Burns also, he couldn't get the range and now it's back to the drawing boards for him, and for Crawford, Omaha's first world champion, the sky's the limit.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Bryan Vera Suffers Broken Hand (3rd Round) in Match against Chavez Jr

Bryan Vera put on an awesome display of true grit. Although Vera is a true Jr Middleweight, he jumped two weight classes to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. They were both going back and forth and the crowd was on it's feet. In the 3rd round of the fight Bryan Vera broke his hand. That is when Vera didn't throw too many jabs after that because his left hand was broken. Being the @bvwarrior that he is, he kept going and never gave up. Although Chavez got the better of the exchanges during the last stretch except the 12th round in which he ran, the judges had a ridiculous score. Two judges had it 117-110 which means they only gave Vera 2 rounds. SMH. Bryan most likely will move back down to middleweight and get another title shot in which he has well deserved it.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Manny Pacquiao political buddy dies after gunshot attack

George Perrett suffered a fatal cardiac arrest early Saturday as he received treatment in hospital for a gunshot wound to the thigh, said Superintendent Jomar Yap, the deputy chief of police of Sarangani province.

Perrett, the mayor of the coastal town of Maitum on the southern tip of the Philippine islands, was shot by unknown gunmen as he drove home with his wife and an aide late Friday, Yap added. His companions were unhurt.
Police said no suspects had been arrested and the authorities did not know if the attack was politically motivated.
Maitum has a blood-spattered recent political history, losing two other sitting mayors in as-yet-unsolved gun attacks.
Perrett was a political ally of global boxing icon and Philippine legislator Manny Pacquiao, who urged the police to bring the unknown suspects to justice.

"We are saddened by this very unfortunate incident. I urge our law enforces to expedite the investigation of the case and do everything to identify and arrest those responsible," Pacquiao told reporters.
Then mayor George Yabes was shot dead in Maitum in 2006 and Felix Reganit, who succeeded him, was gunned down in the Philippine capital Manila later that year.
Former Maitum mayor Exuperio Gaabucayan was also ambushed and killed there in 1990, police said.

Jul 24, 2005
Salido: "I think we gave Lomachenko a welcome to professional boxing"

I’m used to coming in as the underdog and you can always see what I come to do,” said former featherweight champion Orlando “Siri” Salido after turning back two-time Olympic gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko’s bid to win a world champion in his second pro fight on Saturday night in San Antonio, Texas.

“[Being an underdog] motivates me. Makes me train harder than ever when they say I’m not going to win, that I have no chance. And as you saw tonight, preparation was the big difference.

Lomachenko is a very intelligent fighter, very quick in there, so you have to work hard, be intelligent, and that’s what I did. My experience paid off. I think we gave him a welcome to professional boxing, because it’s always a lot tougher up here in the pros. I think he found out tonight it’s not the same thing.

“Of course, I’m sorry about losing my title on the scales, but I’m ready to go to 130 and fight the champions at 130 and show that I can once again be a world champion.”

The 33-year-old Salido concluded, “I’m going to be around for a long time.”

Jul 24, 2005
Good News and Bad News for Amir Khan as The Chance To Make Britain Proud Arrives
March 4th, 2014 | Post Comment - 71 Comments
59Share 2 88Share 12Tweet

floyd mayweather jr amir khan adrien broner By Rob Blakeman: Yesterday, the arrogant but brilliant Pound for Pound Number One fighter in the World, Floyd Mayweather announced that if Britain’s Amir Khan wants to box another American fighter, named Adrien Broner on the undercard of his next mega fight in a couple of months time, then he, Mayweather would fight the winner. This is yet another lifeline in the career of the Bolton man who himself is not shy of blowing his own trumpet.

In a recent and unique move, a “Who next for Floyd?” internet poll, arranged by Mayweather’s people, asked the fans to choose between Khan and an Argentinean World Champion called Marcus Maidana as Floyds next opponent. It appeared that the majority of boxing fans wanted Mayweather to fight Khan next but several other independent polls showed otherwise, citing Maidana, recent conqueror of the previously undefeated Broner, as the best opposition for Floyd to face next.
Indeed on paper this seems indubitably to be the case, with Maidana being a current World title holder, knocking out 3 of his last four defeated opponents and having never been stopped in the ring.

Khan meanwhile currently holds no World Honors and has lost 2 of his last 4 contests. He has also previously been knocked down and knocked out by boxers unheard of to all but the most ardent fans of pugilism. No ‘internet poll’ can override these facts with true fans of the noble art and Khan knows this better than anyone. So what of Mayweather, the man literally calling himself ‘Money’? A man who is as posturing, crass and unpredictable as the sport he dominates. Mayweather quite simply is boxing. He is where he is by being extremely professional in his approach as an athlete. An extremely gifted fighter he has been a World Champion since 1998 and is still unbeaten.

Indeed, in the majority of his much anticipated previous fights against several hungry young lions he has ended up being not often challenged and risks the fate of a fighter whose brilliance is tainted by a lack of worthy opponents. Yet having beaten more champions in history his legacy as a modern great is cemented in stone. For Khan then, comes the chance to really elevate his own current position and make himself appear far more entitled to a shot against the very best than he is right now.

All that stands in his way is Broner. Adrien Broner is a 3 weight World Champion and ironically he has much in common with Britain’s Khan. He too moved up from lightweight through to Welter Weight. He too acclaimed for himself mercurial greatness to all who would listen only to be exposed ruthlessly in his very last fight by the crude and yet ferociously effective Maidana. Even more tantalizing, Broner, like Khan, also has an ego the size of San Francisco and similarly he has found numerous excuses for his own defeat.

Humility comes late to some and never for others but when a man has been weighed and measured and been found wanting it is never more glaringly apparent than in the prize ring. As difficult as it can be it can also be fiercely redemptive if one can just admit to being beaten by the better man-something Khan has been unable to do on three separate occasions. Instead he chose to find every excuse imaginable, wrong trainer, wrong tactics, too much heart on his part, corrupt officials, wrong weight division, etc, etc, etc-painful to listen to for all except his most ardent and one must say, apparently deluded followers.

This ‘Blind Spot’ of Khan’s appears to make it impossible for him to even consider eating ‘humble pie’ and yet by this same anomaly is what makes him so fascinating- his self belief appears unshakable. He accuses Mayweather of ducking him and of making a career seem more glorious than it is by fighting jaded champions with blunted skills. Khan claims this even though he himself just recently chose not to take a tough fight with another 147 pound World Champion Devon Alexander and still earlier in his career and with even less compunction, Khan chose to scalp the ageing Mexican great Marco Antonio Barrera when the old warrior was well past his prime. Surely the only reason Khan would do this was to have the once great boxer’s name on his own somewhat ‘padded’ C.V.?

So what now for Amir Khan, the man who incredibly still calls himself ‘King’? He finally holds the future legacy of his ‘Kingdom’ in his own breathtakingly fast hands. He can face Broner in his next fight; Broner who we now know is also far from unbeatable. He could defeat him and truly earn that elusive fight (and mega pay day) with the true King. He could then do what he’s been telling us is his destiny and go on to achieve what all before him (including Britain’s Ricky Hatton) have failed to do and defeat one of the greatest fighters of all time. So Amir, the good news is the fight you always wanted is within your grasp. The bad news is, this time you’ve got to earn it. Britain Expects!!

Read more at Good News and Bad News for Amir Khan as The Chance To Make Britain Proud Arrives

Jul 24, 2005
Lomachenko to get another shot at WBO featherweight title in the Summer, says Arum
March 3rd, 2014 | Post Comment - 46 Comments
88Share 2 617Share 15Tweet

vasyl lomachenko By Chris Williams: Showing that it helps being connected with a high-powered promotional company like Top Rank, #5 WBO Vasyl Lomachenko (1-1, 1 KO’s) will be getting an immediate title shot at the vacant WBO featherweight title in the Summer despite the fact that Lomachenko was beaten in his fight last Saturday by Orlando Salido in an attempt to capture the same title at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. WBO president Paco Valcarcel is giving Lomachenko another chance to snatch the WBO featherweight title, but it won’t be against Salido again because he’s moving up in weight.

Lomachenko will be fighting against one of the top contenders that the WBO has ranked in their top 15. It probably won’t be against Gary Russell Jr., even though he’s ranked No.1 by the WBO. He’s with Golden Boy Promotions, so that’ll mean that he’s going to be likely skipped over for this fight. I wonder what the WBO will say in justifying that another contender get the shot at the vacant WBO title instead of Russell Jr?

HBO made a big production about Salido’s so-called low blows in the fight, but in looking at the fight on slow motion, I saw nothing but belt line shots thrown by Salido in 99% of the cases. Lomachenko was catching the shots on his belt line, and those are allowable shots. The HBO talking heads got excited for nothing about the low blows.

If it’s not Russell Jr. that Lomachenko will fight, then it’ll be one of the little known featherweight contenders like Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo, Joel Brunker or Kamil Laszczyk that he ends up facing. Those guys are ranked high by the WBO, but not any of the other sanctioning bodies. If the WBO orders Lomachenko to fight one of those guys then it’ll be the equivalent of the WBO just giving Lomachenko a title.

Lomachenko clinched for the 10 of the 12 rounds of the fight, and gave away his only chance of winning the fight by failing to actually fight. It was shocking that a 1-0 fighter was given a world title shot over more deserving contenders in the first place, but now Lomachenko is being given a second crack at the title by the World Boxing Organization.

“Considering what Lomachenko had to deal with against Salido being heavier and all that, Paco [Valcarcel] said he’s offering the vacant title fight to Lomachenko first,” said Top Rank promoter Bob Arum to the LA Times.

It’s pretty sad that Lomachenko is going to get another title shot after he was beaten by Salido. What happened to the days where a fighter had to work his way into title contention by beating top contenders one after another? What happened to the days where a fighter went back in line after he was beaten in a title shot? I think it looks bad that Lomachenko is being given another crack at a title when he blew his chance of winning the title against Salido by clinching for most of the fight.

It’s going to look really bad if Lomachenko is given yet another world title if he gets beaten in the Summer, although I doubt he’ll lose if Russell Jr. isn’t facing him. Russell Jr. would beat Lomachenko, as would Guillermo Rigondeaux. Lomachenko was a great amateur, but as pro he’s nothing special. He doesn’t throw enough punches, he holds too much, and he doesn’t like it to the body.

Read more at Lomachenko to get another shot at WBO featherweight title in the Summer, says Arum

Jul 24, 2005
Espinoza doubts Khan-Broner fight will take place
Read more at Espinoza doubts Khan-Broner fight will take place

Stephen Espinoza S @stephen Espinoza
Follow

I'm very keen on it but I believe Broner is going down to 140 " R @REAL flomop: care to explain why you guys aren't too keen on Broner/Khan?"

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer thinks Angulo can become the new Canelo in Mexico if he beats him
March 3rd, 2014 | Post Comment - 63 Comments
114Share 4 139Share 12Tweet

Alvarez Angulo Alvarez vs. Angulo saul alvarez alfredo angulo By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is trying to stay on the fence for this Saturday’s Showtime pay-per-view bout between former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KO’s) and Alfredo Angulo (22-3, 18 KO’s) at the MGM Grand in las Vegas, Nevada. Schaefer promotes both fighters, but he probably realizes that it might not be a good thing for him to side with the red-headed Canelo in this fight in case Angulo pulls off a mini upset and beats him on Saturday.

It wouldn’t be a huge upset, because we’ve already seen Canelo go life and death with Austin Trout last year, and almost get knocked out by little Jose Miguel Cotto in the past. Angulo hits a lot harder than both of those guys, so it’s highly possible that he could win on Saturday night, especially if he gets Canelo into the deeper rounds of the fight where his stamina problems may surface.

“It only takes one punch to change an outcome of a fight, and Alfredo Angulo has the game changer, meaning an iron fist with a hard punch,” Schaefer said. “If Angulo were to beat Canelo, could you imagine the impact that he has for him? He would become the new Canelo in Mexico.”

Angulo the new Canelo? I don’t think so. Angulo could probably beat Canelo a 100 times, and Canelo would remain the much more popular fighter of the two permanently. I believe the biggest part of what makes Canelo popular in Mexico is his red hair. He’s so different from the other fighters that fight there that it’s like a gimmick that he has going for him. I don’t think Angulo will be able to get the popularity that Canelo has because he’s a celebrity based on how he looks rather than what he’s accomplished in the ring. Canelo was already popular when he was 22-0, whereas Angulo was almost invisible when he had a record of 15-0. Angulo’s fighting style was just an exciting as Canelo’s, but he didn’t have that gimmick going for him.

There’s a very good chance that Angulo will win this fight on Saturday night if he puts the pressure on Antonio Margarito like pressure on Canelo for 12 rounds. Angulo has to force Canelo to fight hard for the entire three minutes of every round, and not let him sit on the ropes to get his customary rest breaks.

Canelo really is little more than a 4 round fighter, because he gasses out quickly after 4 rounds and starts fighting at a slow pace. If his opponent accommodates him by letting him fight in a slow manner, Canelo can hang around and look somewhat busy for 12 rounds. But if he you push Canelo, force him to fight hard, and not let him take his rest breaks against the ropes, you’ll see Canelo turn red in the face and overheat like an old car going up a steep hill on a blazing hot Summer day. Angulo’s best chance of winning is forcing a fast past on the stamina-plagued Canelo.

Read more at Schaefer thinks Angulo can become the new Canelo in Mexico if he beats him