Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 3, 2002
Khan calls out Broner

Amir Khan********✔ A @amir KingKhan
If A @adri enBroner wants it let's do it. Maidana knocked him down twice. Il knock him out!
I like watching Khan fight. That being said, I think I like watching him get knocked out even more, LOL. I watched Khan vs. Garcia several times.

Jul 24, 2005
Khan: I’ll knock Adrien Broner out!
February 28th, 2014 | Post Comment - 95 Comments
8Share 2 32Share 13Tweet

amir khan adrien broner By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (28-3, 18 KO’s) unleashed the dogs of war on Friday in saying he’ll KO former three-time world champion Adrien Broner if he wants to face him. Khan says he’s open to the Broner fight because he sees it as one of the big ones that will get him a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. Khan also sad in an interview on Thursday that he’s open to fighting on Mayweather’s undercard, even though he has his own contract with Showtime and doesn’t need to fight on Mayweather’s undercard.

Obviously, Khan would would see fighting on Mayweather’s undercard as a straight path to getting a fight against him either at the end of this year or early 2015.

“Fighting [Kell] Brook wont get me the Floyd fight,” Khan said on his twitter. “Fighting Broner Guerrero Alexander Porter will #WorldLevel. So many names call me out, when it’s time to sign they not to be seen. If A @adri enBroner wants it let’s do it. Maidana knocked him down twice. I’ll knock him out!”

I think all those sparring sessions that Khan has had recently with Alfredo Angulo – and supposedly Andre Ward – has knocked some ideas into Khan’s head, because he now thinks he can knockout on Broner. I hope Angulo wasn’t taking it easy on Khan during the sparring sessions on purpose in order not to hurt him, because Khan is sounding way too confidence given how poor he’s looked in his last four fights.

Broner didn’t fire back at Khan on twitter despite Khan having sent his comment straight to Broner. I wonder what’s up with that? I hope Broner’s recent loss to Marcos Maidana did’t kill his confidence because this isn’t like Broner. In the past when someone trash talked him, Broner would flying back with something, but in this case he let Khan’s comment slide without saying anything about it. I guess Broner isn’t too interested in fighting Khan. I don’t blame him though. Broner want to fight Maidana next so that he can avenge his loss against him. Fighting Khan would Khan would only complicate matters by putting Broner in a situation where he would need to fight his way to his rematch against Maidana instead of calmly waiting for it to happen. Broner has a rematch clause in his contract with Maidana, so he doesn’t need to life a finger to get a fight against him.

As for Khan fighting Brook, Khan doesn’t seem too keen on fighting Brook for some reason. Khan says his team hasn’t received the huge $8 million offer that Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn was talking about, and he sees it as a case of them trying to get free publicity by mentioning his name.

Read more at Khan: I’ll knock Adrien Broner out!

Jul 24, 2005
Deal close for Arreola-Stiverne II
February 27th, 2014 | Post Comment - 46 Comments
43Share 1 61Share 4Tweet

Bermane Stiverne Arreola Stiverne II Arreola vs. Stiverne II chris arreola By Mike S: Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola and Bermaine Stiverne are close to locking horns again in Villahermosa, Mexico this June in a fight that will be reportedly be aired by HBO in the States. Stiverne won the first meeting by a wide UD after smashing Arreola’s nose and dropping him in the third round. Arreola was in flabby condition AGAIN, and seemed to just sit back and wait for something to happen. It never did.

Since then Arreola has made a commitment to his conditioning and body weight and looked much better in his first round TKO of the glass chinned Seth Mitchell last September. Stiverne, strung along by Vitali Klitschko and the WBC will have been out of the ring for well over a year bay the time this rematch comes around. While it is normally not wise to remain inactive for that long, there is a pretty obvious reason why Stiverne chose not to risk his no.1 ranking while in wait.

Stiverne’s career is littered with no names, low tier journeyman, and guys with double digit losses all over the place, including his TKO loss to Demetrice King, who was 11-15 at the time. Outside his upset of Arreola his “big wins” have came against Ray Austin and Kerston Manswell. While suffering a couple losses in his efforts Arreola has been in the ring with Vitali Klitschko, Tomasz Adamek, Jameel McCline, Travis Walker, Brian Minto, and even Chazz Witherspoon. I think its safe to assume that Stiverne would have a couple more L’s on his record had he ever faced some stiffer competition.

Stiverne has a big right hand and some decent lateral footwork, but fights at one speed. IF Arreola comes into this fight in the same shape he was when he fought Mitchell look for a different result in this one as Arreola will try to swarm and get to Stiverne ASAP. With his sometimes wide angled attack Arreola often leaves himself open to counter shots and had been dropped by Stiverne before.

Don’t bet on this one going all twelve rounds either way. Fact is whoever wins is going to have their work cut out for them with Deontay Wilder and Wladimir Klitschko both looming on the horizon.

Read more at Deal close for Arreola-Stiverne II

Jul 24, 2005
HBO cool to the idea of Provodnikov fighting DeMarco on June 14th
February 27th, 2014 | Post Comment - 47 Comments
56Share 3 73Share 8Tweet

Ruslan Provodnikov antonio demarco By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is looking to match former WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco against WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KO’s) for his next fight on June 14th on HBO. According to Dan Rafael of ESPN, HBO isn’t entirely excited at the idea of televising a fight between Provodnikov and the recently knocked out DeMarco. HBO wants to see Provodnikov fight the winner of the Karim Mayfield vs. Thomas Dulorme, which takes place next month on March 29th. Mayfield probably wins that fight.

Not sure why HBO doesn’t want to televise the fight, but it could be that they feel that boxing fans will still remember the image of DeMarco getting stopped by Adrien Broner in late 2012. That was less than a year and half ago that Broner destroyed DeMarco, and that might be too soon to have DeMarco getting a world title shot.

The other idea that Arum and Provodnikov’s promoter Artie Pulullo is interested in doing is having unbeaten but untested Chris Algieri (19-0, 8 KOs) challenge Provodnikov for his title. HBO is reportedly not too excited about that fight either. It could be that they’ve noticed that Algieri isn’t ranked in the top 15 by any of the sanctioning bodies and he’s never fought any notable opposition. Algieri did beat Emmanuel Taylor on Friday Night Fights earlier this month, but there’s a big difference in fighting someone like Taylor and fighting a quality light welterweight like Lucas Matthysse.

“Arum and I want DeMarco or even Joe DeGuardia’s guy, Algieri,” Pelullo told ESPN writer Dan Rafael. “But HBO wants us to wait for the winner of the Thomas Dulorme-Karim Mayfield fight and we don’t want to wait another month. Besides, what happens if the guy who wins that fight gets injured or cut? We want to make a fight now and get it done as soon as possible so we can go out and sell the fight, get a site and really promote it. But we’re trying to work things out with HBO.”

HBO seems to have the better idea with having Provodnikov fight the winner of the Dulorme-Mayfield fight. The winner of that fight brings the better opponent than having Algieri or DeMarco fighting for a world title. It depends on what you’re looking for, I guess. If the idea is to give Provodnikov and easy fight where he won’t get out-boxed and made to look silly, then it’s a good idea to put him in with Algieri or DeMarco because those guys are made to order for him. But if you want to see a competitive fight where Provodnikov could end up getting out-boxed and beaten, then put him in with Mayfield and watch him likely get beaten. I’d rather see a competitive fight than a mismatch, so I’m in favor of HBO’s idea of having Provodnikov fight the winner of the Dulorme-Mayfield fight.

DeMarco would have been a good opponent for Provodnikov if he hadn’t been so badly beaten by Broner, and if he had at least beaten some good opposition after that loss. DeMarco hasn’t done that. Since his loss to Broner, DeMarco has beaten journeyman Fidel Monterrosa Munoz by a 5th round stoppage and Jesus Gurrola by a 2nd round TKO. Those aren’t quality light welterweights, and DeMarco definitely doesn’t deserve a title shot against Provodnikov off of wins over those guys.

Read more at HBO cool to the idea of Provodnikov fighting DeMarco on June 14th

Jul 24, 2005
Hearn offers Khan $8 million to fight Kell Brook
February 26th, 2014 | Post Comment - 217 Comments
446Share 6 527Share 26Tweet

kell brook amir khan By Scott Gilfoid: Now that Amir Khan has been eliminated from contention for a nice payday fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3rd, Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn, the promoter for unbeaten welterweight contender Kell Brook (31-0, 21 KO’s), has given Khan an offer of $8 million [5 million pounds] to face Brook. The money that Hearn is offering Khan is only $2 million less than the likely $10 million that he would have received for the Mayweather fight.

“When we heard Khan’s Mayweather fight was on the brink of falling through, I made a serious offer for him to fight Kell,” Hearn said via RingTV. “That offer, £5million, is still on the table and will remain there for the foreseeable future.”

For fans unclear on the money system, 5 million pounds = $8.33 million.

Wow, Khan can make big bank for facing Brook. I wonder why he hasn’t shown any interest in taking this fight? I’ve seen Brook fight plenty of times, and I think he’s as slow as molasses, mechanical, robotic and someone that Khan can probably beat. Why wouldn’t Khan accept a fight with Brook if he’s going to make cash out type money? Is Khan afraid of the guy or what?

Khan needs to look at the big picture before it’s too late. The chances are incredibly high that he gets beaten if Golden Boy Promotions matches him up with a halfway decent opponent in his next fight, and once he gets beaten then the chances of Khan ever getting Mayweather – or Brook – fights will be nonexistent. Khan needs to take the fight with Brook now. That’s the smart money. The only logical reason for Khan saying no to the Brook fight is if Golden Boy is going to match him up against someone that has absolutely no chance of beating him like Paulie Malignaggi next. If that’s the case, then I can see why Khan would say no to a Kell Brook fight. Khan could take the Malignaggi fight, beat him for the 2nd time, and then start calling Mayweather out for September or in early 2015.

Hearn and Brook have wanted to get the Khan fight for some time, but he’s not been resistant to fight Brook. Khan says he wants to see Brook prove himself before he accepts a fight with him, but if Khan’s opponents have to be proven for him to fight them, then why in the heck did he fight this unknown guy named Carlos Molina in 2012? If Khan requires his opponents to be proven then why did Khan fight Paul McCloskey in 2011?

Share the post "Hearn offers Khan $8 million to fight Kell Brook"

32Facebook
25Twitter
5Google+

Read more at Hearn offers Khan $8 million to fight Kell Brook

Feb 8, 2006
I wanna see Khan vs Kell Brook, he needs to go to the UK and give his real fans a fight. hed be a fool to turn down that much money, that fight would be huge and a big ppv over there

Feb 8, 2006
Shocking news Chavez jr. makes weight

From the concourse in front of the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, Julio Cesar Chavez Junior dodged the first bullet from the proverbial gun of his detractors by comfortably making the contracted Super Middleweight limit of 168 pounds.

Both Chavez and Vera weighed in at approximately 167.5 pounds, with both men looking strong and having more than enough time to replenish and rehydrate, due to the unusually early 2PM EST weigh in time. After the former WBC Middleweight title holder successfully made weight, Junior held a giant replica of a voided cashiers check made out to Bryan Vera to the sum of $250,000.00.
Chavez Junior had very little to say after the official weigh in concluded.

“I made weight today…and I’m going to win tomorrow,” declared Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Not surprisingly, the Austin, Texas native had a huge amount of support in attendance, while Chavez still enjoyed the chants from his die-hard Mexican supporters.

“I want to thank everyone who came out to support me,” stated Bryan Vera. “You’re going to see a great fight tomorrow night.”

In the co-main event, Orlando Salido failed to make the Featherweight limit of 126 pounds by scaling in at a very heavy 128.25 pounds. While his opponent, former two time Olympic Gold Medal winner Vasyl Lomachenko, comfortably weighed in at 125.25.

Although Salido officially has two hours to lose the two pounds, expect the three time world champion to elect to relinquish his title with a monetary penalty, rather than dangerously attempt to shed the extra weight.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Last I heard of Guerrero he turned doen a fight against Keith Thurman that Golden Boy was trying to make. I know his cousin posts here maybe he can drop some info. Otherwise kinda seems like he's pulling a Joshua Clottey (made some good money and bounced!).
408mobsta @408mobsta