Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Kevin Mitchell Out-Classes Breidis Prescott - Mitchell The New Star Of British Boxing

by James Slater at Ringside - 25-year-old Kevin Mitchell came of age last night in Newcastle. Boxing on the sold out Amir Khan-Dmitriy Salita bill at The Metro Radio Arena, the unbeaten former super-featherweight champion of both Britain and the Commonwealth made his debut at 135-pounds. And what a debut it was, too!

Meeting "KhanConqeror" Bredis Prescott of Colombia - the man who destroyed Khan in 54-seconds, of course - "Mighty" Mitchell, simply put, boxed the 26-year-old danger man's ears off. Potentially lethal at all times, with both hands, Prescott forced Mitchell to adopt different tactics than those he is known for. Instead of having a tear-up, as he has so many times in the past, Mitchell, quite astonishingly, boxed like a near defensive master at times. Winning a wide (too wide in my opinion) UD on the cards of the three judges (all three of whom were, somewhat unfairly, British), Mitchell won by scores of 117-111, 119-110 and 118-111. I myself had Mitchell winning by four rounds..

Unloading bombs right from the first bell, Prescott, 21-1(18) coming in, was made to miss wildly at times, while he got through with the odd shot at others. Showing a number of feints, Mitchell, clearly wary of Prescott's right hand, boxed patiently, impressively and beautifully at times. Showing a strange habit of dropping both hands so as to push the top of his trunks down throughout the fight, Prescott was the man coming forward, but his aggression was mostly ineffective.

Sure, the power-puncher got through at times, landing some hard body shots in the 12-rounder, but mostly it was the fleet-footed 25-year-old who was impressing the judges. There was some bad blood in the bout, and referee Dave Parris had to warn both men to clean things up more than once. Prescott was soon showing signs of frustration, unable as he was to cleanly nail the faster, sharper man.

There were no knockdowns in the fight, but the drama was such that you could not take your eyes off the ring - everyone knew a bomb, from either side, coud end this at any given time! There were wild exchanges in a number of rounds, and the punches were thrown with speed and venom on both sides. By the 3rd round, Mitchell, appearing to be enjoying himself, began to taunt Prescott - dropping his hands and gesturing to Prescott to hit his chin. Stalking throughout and trying his best to get Mitchell out of there, the visiting fighter was unable to do so.

Mitchell's left jab was impressive, fast, sharp and jarring as it landed. Prescott, never much of a jabber in the contest, used his left hand only infrequently in that department. In the 5th, Prescott suffered a cut above his left eye. It was hard to see without the benefit of replay whether or not the damage was caused by a butt. The cut was nasty enough, but Prescott's corner did a good job on it, seeing to it that it never realy became a factor.

Neither man ran out of gas, although the pace did slow in some of the later rounds. Overall, it was a thrilling little battle to watch, albeit one the three officials saw as one-sided. The two men, quite surprisingly considering the bad blood they'd show towards each other earlier, hugged as they touched gloves for the final round. Prescott gave it one more go at trying to tear his opponent's head off, but he was met with return fire in the final three minutes.

And that was the story of the fight, really - Prescott was the man coming forward, but Mitchell was the faster man, the better boxer and a fighter who was more than willing to throw his own bombs when neccessary - winning the majortity of the rounds.

The vocal crowd, who booed Prescott at every possible opportunity, cheered wildly as the scores were made official. Scores that made Mitchell, now 30-0(22), the number-one contender for the WBO lightweight crown.

Can Prescott bounce back from his second defeat? It will be interesting to see. I'm sure the Colombian would still relish the thought of a second fight with Amir Khan!

Jul 24, 2005
Paul Williams & Sergio Martinez prove they are two of the best

By Paul Strauss: Watch a replay of the fight without sound and without listening to the announced results, and there's a good chance you would feel the fight was a draw. Maybe you might be swayed a bit by “The Punisher's” continual pressure and volume punching. But, then you watch it a second time and you are impressed with Sergio Martinez's sharper more effective punching.

What a way to edge toward the end of a tremendous year of boxing. Most fans thought this was going to be an interesting fight and good match-up of styles. It's doubtful anyone anticipated what a great fight this turned out to be.

The action at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall didn't start out with a bang; rather it started out with two bangs. Suddenly it happened just when it appeared Martinez was managing the distance and staying elusive. He had Williams reaching and missing. Williams never minds that problem, and is always resigned to just stepping things up more to correct the problem.. He did just that in the first round when he threw a long left that glanced off of Martinez's right shoulder and then hit his head. Down went Martinez, but in the replays it was apparent he was also a bit off balance. He quickly got up and did not appear seriously hurt. Martinez was more embarrassed than anything and proved he was not hurt by executing a great left lead feint that got Williams starting his own straight left, and then beating him to the punch flush with a right hook. Down went Williams and he did appear to be hurt. Martinez closed out the round with another good right hook.

In the second round, Martinez opened up with more good right hooks. Williams still seemed less than fully recuperated. He tried to be his usual aggressive self, but was wild. Martinez was also a little over eager and wild, but was still landing.

In the third round, Williams continued to be a sitting duck for Sergio's right hook. Sergio had him timed, and would beat Williams to the punch. At this point, Williams has a little hitch in throwing the straight left, and Sergio would step inside and land the right hook. Against any fighter, a maneuver like that takes guts, but especially against a junior middleweight giant like Williams. Martinez also landed some big lefts in this round, and the damage, especially from the right hooks, was starting to show up on Williams' face.

In the fourth round, there were many good exchanges, but Williams landed a big shot at the end of the round, which meant he probably deserved the round. The bleeding from a small cut on the left eyelid seemed to be under control.

Williams never let up with the pressure and volume punches. However, Sergio wasn't backing down, and still seemed to be landing the sharper, crisper shots. He rocked Williams more than once. Martinez corner men cautioned him not to engage in exchanges with Williams. Rather, they wanted him to use his speed to catch Paul and then move.

One couldn't help but think that when they announced the tale of the tape for these two fighters, in Williams' case it should be the "fairy tale" of the tape, because he is so big. When he comes into the ring with his robe jacket on, he looks more like that guy from movie "The Green Mile" than he does a junior middleweight. The size difference presents all kinds of problems for Williams' opponents, not the least of which is running into or colliding with his massive shoulders. It's a safe bet that Sergio caught about as many shoulders as he did punches. It's a physical disparity thing though, and not something that occurs because Williams is dirty.

By the sixth round, Martinez didn't appear to be quite as sharp. Instead of being able to beat Williams to the punch, he was now relying more on his hoped for ability to counter with the right hook over Williams' straight left. But, he was missing more than he was landing. Williams kept up the pressure, and Sergio wasn't quite as elusive as he had been earlier.

In the seventh, Martinez changed tactics a bit and started throwing more lead straight lefts. First, in a matter of a few seconds, he landed a couple of good lefts to the head. Then, he threw straight lefts to the body, and once again beat Williams to the punch with his right hook. He again had Williams in a bit of trouble. At the end of the round as he was walking back to his corner, he nodded to his trainer to acknowledge that his instructions between rounds were working.

In the eighth round, Sergio again appeared to be somewhat tired. His punches were somewhat wild again, but both fighters were about even up in the numerous exchanges though. Harold Lederman's unofficial scorecard had Williams slightly ahead at 86-85. The two hard straight lefts that Sergio landed early rocked Williams and probably should have carried the round for him.

At this point, announcer Jim Lampley offered his opinion that, "(This) Feels like an even fight!" It would have been hard to argue with him; although, in the tenth Williams was outworking Martinez, and Sergio appeared very tired when he got pushed to the canvas. He just wasn't in any big hurry to get back up, but get up he did and both fighters continued to fight a tremendous battle.

A common refrain by Manny Steward, JIm Lampley and Max Kellerman was, "How would you score that round?" That comment was symbolic of the closeness of many of the rounds, and also the fact that both fighters never backed down. Just when one would land a good shot, the other one would surge back, seemingly to say, "Oh, yea, well take that!"

The fight was so close that you could argue either man edged out the other. Judge Julie Lederman thought so and scored the fight even at 114-114. Lynne Carter too had a realistic score of 115-113 in favor of Williams. It could have been just as easily the other way in favor of Sergio. However, the night was spoiled when Pierre Benoit's scorecard was announced.........119-110? What that hell fight was Benoit watching! Max Kellerman called Benoit's scoring disgraceful, and characterized it as being right up there with the Funeka and Malignaggi thefts.

In the post fight interviews with Max, both fighters expressed a desire to have a rematch. They both complimented each other's courage and abilities. Martinez undoubtedly acquired some new admirers. Manny Steward offered that this type of tremendous fight probably took a lot out of each man, and neither might be the same as a result. Let's hope he's wrong.

In the undercard, Chris Arreola once again proved he is not willing to make the necessary sacrifices boxing requires to truly be a top notch fighter. He admittedly had gone into the Vitali Klittschko fight in less than great shape. He was visibly flabby. There was no lesson learned though, because for tonight's fight he weighed 12 lbs. more than he did for Vitali. He is in big time detail, thinking, "I've worked my ass off!" He apparently doesn't know what dedication really means. Pretty soon they're going slap a "Wide Load" sticker across his butt.

He also demonstrated his failure to learn another lesson by being careful about the language on air. He spewed out several curse words when trying to excuse his poor conditioning by saying, "You can't measure that ......the sparring, gym work (and so forth)". Well, maybe he should try measuring it on something they call a scale! He admitted that when training, he gets hungry, and there is a restaurant close by that is open 24hrs! When they announce him as a heavyweight, they definitely should be emphasizing the word "heavy".

In the fight itself, he had a decidedly big (literally) advantage against the much smaller Brian Minto, but Minto didn't lack heart for his smaller size. He managed to land some pretty good shots on Chris, and brought some excitement to the crowd.

Minto's big heart and courage kept him upright until the fourth round, when as Max Kellerman said, "He was saved from himself!" The referee called a halt to the action at 2:40 of the round.

Chris will continue to be an exciting fighter, but there's little chance that he will be any better than he already is unless he takes his career more seriously. He has to quit the BS about ".....working my ass off!" If that were true, why is his ass getting bigger?

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan Destroys Dmitriy Salita In Less Than A Round!

by James Slater: It was a short and very impressive night for defending WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan tonight, as he cut through undefeated challenger Dmitriy Salita of New York in just one minute and 16 seconds.

The astonishingly fast-handed 22-year-old sent the older man down three times in all, prompting referee Luis Pavon to wave the bout off. Salita, who fell to 30-1-1(16) looked utterly devastated, which, put bluntly, is what he was. The world champ improved to 22-1(17) and he has never looked faster or more powerful.

Mere seconds into the opening round, Khan let loose with a right hand and decked his man. Bringing deafening roars from a crowd who loved him and showed it, Khan wasted no time in following up. No way was the former Olympian going to let Salita, as badly hurt as he clearly was, off the hook..

Sending the challenger into a corner with more hurtful blows, Khan had his opponent desperatley trying his best to cover up. Down for a second time as the result of a barrage of lightning fast blows, Salita and his team had to know the end was near. The Jewish fighter tried his best to hold and/or fight back, and he showed heart in doing so - but he had gone. The fional knockdown came via a sharp left hand to the chin by Khan, and the fight was waved over.

Okay, some will definitely say that Salita - a slow starter who has been floored three times previously in the opening round of a fight - was tailor-made for Khan. And the praise I've given the 22-year-old from Bolton will perhaps not be seen as deserved by his critics. But bottom line; Khan got the job done in style, and in so doing he got rid of his mandatory challenger without really breaking a sweat.

There will surely be bigger and far more demanding fights for the hugely popular boxer, and it will be extremely interesting to see who he faces next. There has been talk of a U.S debut, possibly against Juan Manuel Marquez, and that would be some fight to see. Or maybe Khan will look to have an all-British showdown with the unbeaten Kevin Mitchell, who outclassed and out-pointed puncher Breidis Prescott over 12-round on tonight's under-card (full report to follow).

A return with the Colombian, who put Khan away in less than a minute, though still sellable, has now lost its intrigue - thanks to Mitchell's one-sided win.

The options are plenty for "King Khan," though, and a few more wins like the pne he scored tonight will make everyone forget about the sole loss of the WBA 140-pound champion's career.

It's tough to see where the vanquished Salita goes from here.

Jul 24, 2005
Huck defends WBO Cruiserweight Title, Povetkin destroys Nolan

Marco “Captain” Huck (27-1, 20 KOs) celebrated a successful first defence of his WBO Cruiserweight Title when he clinched a unanimous points victory over Ola Afolabi (14-2, 6 KOs). The 25-year-old German used his explosiveness and punching power to keep his opponent at bay. He was ahead 116-112, 115-113 and 115-113 on the judges´ scorecards. “I am happy about my performance,” Huck said. “It was a tough fight against a very awkward opponent who moved a lot and was difficult to hit. I am delighted to have defended my title and now look forward to a great and relaxing Christmas time.”

Huck was the aggressor from the first bell on as he constantly attacked Afolabi with his trademark assaults. He landed strong combinations in almost every round. The fifth round was Afolabi´s best, with an uppercut briefly wobbling the champion following a clash of heads. “I should have knocked him out,” Afolabi said. “But Huck is a great warrior and a great fighter. It was a very close fight and I thought I won, but there are a few things I could have done better..”

Huck´s coach Ulli Wegner liked what he saw. “Marco did very well. His style does not match well with Afolabi´s so we had to work hard in practice to implement a proper game plan. Marco fought a great fight and he did not allow himself to be provoked by Afolabi´s antics. I am pleased with his performance.” And manager Wilfried Sauerland added: “It was a great year for Marco. He is just 25 years old and already world champion despite making only very few amateur fights. Marco has matured as a fighter and as a person and he once again showed that in the ring against a tough opponent.”

In the co-featured main event, Russian heavyweight star Alexander Povetkin (18-0, 13 KOs) celebrated a successful first fight under star coach Teddy Atlas, knocking out Leo Nolan (27-2, 10 KOs) in the third round. Povetkin dominated the entire fight and dusted his opponent in the third after a flurry of punches. A strong left hook then sent Nolan down again for the referee to count him out. “I am very pleased with Alexander´s performance,” Atlas lauded. “He did what he had to do and knocked out and opponent that has never been knocked out before. Alexander is very talented and we will keep working hard to make him world champion soon. He will be ready when he gets the chance to fight for the title.”

Povetkin said it was good to be back in the ring after an eight-month break. “It felt good to box again,” he stated. “I have learned a lot of things from Teddy Atlas and it has been great to work with him. This was a good test for me. I will keep working hard in practice and wait for Wladimir Klitschko to fight me.”

Kalle Sauerland believes that Povetkin is “more than ready” for the showdown with the IBF/WBO champion. “This was another great win for Alexander,” he said. “He looked very impressive. The training with Teddy Atlas has paid off. We will fight Klitschko at any time, but it looks as if he prefers to make his WBO mandatory defence sagainst Eddie Chambers first. That´s the same Eddie Chambers Alexander has already beaten in the final of the IBF elimination tournament almost two years ago. We are ready for Klitschko. Every day Teddy works with Alexander will only make him stronger.”

Heavyweight hopeful Kubrat Pulev celebrated his fourth win in as many fights, comfortably outpointing Zack Page, Francesco Pianeta cruised to an uncontested victory over Evgeny Orlov and IBF Youth Middleweight Champion Dominik Britsch pleased the crowd with a fifth-round TKO victory over Cleber Argente Alves.

Jul 24, 2005
Jason Estrada - "I'm So Focused For The Adamek fight; More Than I've Ever Been Before

by James Slater - Former amateur standout and 2004 Olympian Jason Estrada of Providence, Rhode Island, 16-2(4) is set to face IBF cruiserweight champion/heavyweight campaigner Tomasz Adamek on February 6th.

Massively pumped up for the fight he sees as a big opportunity, the man known as "Big Six" is sure he will win; maybe even by stoppage.

Very kindly taking the time to speak with me about the big fight yesterday evening (UK time), the 29-year-old gave the following answers to my questions:

James Slater: It's always great to speak with you Jason. First of all, is the fight with Tomasz Adamek officially a go?

Jason Estrada: Oh, yeah - it's a done deal. It's signed, the contract has been made. So, hoping that nothing goes wrong, the fight will be Feb. 6th in New Jersey. I can't wait for this fight - I really, really hope everything goes well..

J.S: When will you begin training for the fight? Or are you always training anyway?

J.E: I'm always training anyway, but camp for this fight will actually start on Monday. The reason I had a short break is because I was in New York last night, to support a friend who was fighting, Jaywon Woods. I worked the corner with my dad.

J.S: Obviously, the Adamek fight is a big opportunity for you - it's a test for him, as he's still a question mark at heavyweight - but do you see yourself out-boxing the guy?

J.E: Yes it's a big opportunity for me, but the way he's been looking lately, I think I could stop him. I mean, he's getting up there in years and the time comes for everyone when it catches up with you. Adamek's had some tough, tough fights, and lately he's been having a hard time in his fights. Up until he managed to come back and get the knock out, he's been wobbled and hurt. I saw the Bobby Gunn fight, and that was a tough fight for him early on. I know Adamek's tough, but that was at cruiserweight and at light-heavyweight - I'm not sure he takes a great shot as well as he used to. Also, I don't know what else he brings to the table - he's not faster than me and he's certainly not stronger than me. He beat Andrew Golota, but Golota was an old fighter who'd been through a lot. But back in his day, when he was fighting guys like Riddick Bowe, I think Golota would have killed Adamek.

J.S: You sound as though you are pumped up for this fight already, Jason!

J.E: Oh, man, as soon as I heard about this opportunity, I said, "let's take it!" I'm more hungry now than ever before. Also, this is the most time I've ever had to get ready for any fight - and I mean ever. Usually, I get around three or four weeks to get ready. This fight is still eight weeks away. The things I can do in eight weeks! The quality sparring I can get. I've had okay guys to spar with before, where I spar a straight 24 minutes, a minute a time with a guy. But I've been stopping guys [in the gym] with body shots and head shots, because I've worn them down. Now I have the time to get great sparring. I'm trying to set that up now. But some guys, they think I'm getting millions of dollars for this fight, and they're asking for crazy money - I can't afford that! But I'll have a great camp for this fight.

J.S: I never knew that. Even for the Povetkin fight you had less time than you have for this fight?

J.E: Yes. The Povetkin fight, I had like four weeks when the fight finally came down and was a definite go. By the time they'd finally agreed to the fight, that's all I had to get ready - but I still had a great camp. But I can't really understand why they've [Team Adamek] taken this fight with me. I thought they'd take another two fights against slower guys before they took a fight with me.

J.S: Do you think they've looked at your record and seen you have just four KO's, and have gone solely by that?

J.E: Well, people look at the numbers and say I can't punch. But you have to pay attention to the guys I've been fighting. I've not been in with guys with 4-16, or 1-12 type records or anything like that. I've been in with fighters who had .500 records or better, and some of them were ex-champions. It can be hard to knock guys like that out. You know, they can look to survive, not even try to win anymore, and make the fight look ugly.

J.S: It's interesting you saying you think you may KO Adamek - I was expecting you to say you'd look to out-box him, for sure. Will you jump right on the guy, seeing as how he's been hurt early in fights and seems to take time to really warm up?

J.E: It's always a possibility, but at the same time, I won't get out of my game-plan. But if I hurt him, yeah - I'll look to take him out. I won't let him get that second wind. I'm not too worried about him; he's a little guy - no more than around 214-pounds - whereas I'll come in at around 240. He won't be able to push me around like guys he did at cruiserweight. If that's his plan, it'll be either a long night for him, or it could be a short night for him. His pressure worked down at cruiserweight and at light-heavyweight - but it's a totally different story now, at heavyweight. Like I say, he's been in a lot of wars. He's not old at age 33 - but with the amount of wars he's had he is a lot older than me.

J.S: It's a great fight for you. If you beat this guy, you can shout out for a world title fight - is that your mindset?

J.E: Yeah, exactly. This is a great opportunity and any world title shot it might lead to, I'll take it. And the good thing about this fight is it's in the U.S, and on the east coast. I have a lot of family there, I'm a native of New York. I've travelled to other countries before, and it's no problem, but this is great, this fight being on the east coast. Also, I was a fan of Adamek, back when he was a light-heavyweight. I don't take anything away from the guy, but when he fought my guy from Connecticut, Chad Dawson, I had to pull for Dawson. I'm looking forward to this fight, it excites me, but I'm not looking past it - I'm so focused, more than ever before. This fight is so close I can taste it!

J.S: With the fight taking place in his adopted hometown of Newark, are you concerned about whether or not you'll get a fair shake if the fight does go to the cards?

J.E: Nah, I'm not worried about that. I have a lot of fans and friends who live there, too. And we are fighting for a vacant belt (Jason told me the fight will contest an IBF belt of some sort, although he wasn't sure which one - maybe a "step up" belt, he said.), so it's not a case of "you have to really take the title from the champ to beat him." This fight's a problem for him, not for me.

J.S: Well, I want to thank you for your time, Jason. It's always great speaking with you, you are always a great interviewer. You are a good talker, you'd make a good analyst when you've retired.

J.E: Thanks. That's something I've thought about. I'm glad you brought that up. I want to stay in boxing in some way when I'm retired from fighting, but I know I can't do corner work. That's real tough.

J.S: Well, Shannon Briggs is doing a good job at commentating, even though he's back fighting now.

J.E: Yeah, he fought last night.

J.S: Of course he did, he won easy, didn't he? (against Marcus McGee)

J.E: Yeah, that body shot [that finished McGee off], it didn't look right to me. Anyway, Shannon spoke to me, and he told me he's seen me fight and that I have "crazy combinations." The thing is, I'll fight anyone, and I sometimes forget that my name is out there as well.

J.S: It sure will be in a big way of you beat Adamek! Best wishes for the fight in February, and thanks again.

J.E: Okay, call me any time.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Manny Gets a Massive Guarantee

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum not only knows the business of boxing which he has been involved in since 1966 when he promoted the Muhammd Ali-George Chuvalo heavyweight title fight in Canada, he knows his prized possession – pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao.

When Arum met with Pacquiao and his adviser Michael Koncz who is completely trusted by both the fighter and his promoter, to discuss the details of the March 13 classic showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr, Arum said he had “offered him a number against his percentage” which we understand was a guaranteed $20 million.

In an exclusive interview with BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports along with Dyan Castillejo of ABS-CBN, Arum revealed that Pacquiao “asked for a bigger number and I tried to come with a number that was sort of in-between. A compromise. But you know Manny always loves to win so when I agreed to his number there was a big smile on his face and he was like in seventh heaven.”

Arum said ”you know my thinking was that Manny always comes through on his pay-per-view fights and done a big number and he’s performed in the ring and in the promotion and I think it will do the same on this fight so I agreed to his guarantee, ” which is reportedly $25 million.

HBO Sports believes the fight could generate a record-breaking 3 million pay-per-view homes which would, at a price of $60, gross $180 million. With all the deductions for expenses and the promoters percentage the net figure expected to be available for the two fighters would be around $90 million which, based on an even 50-50 split would give Pacquiao an additional income of around $20 million or a total of $45 million.

However, if the PPV numbers are in the vicinity of 2.5 million which Arum projects then the additional income for Pacquiao would be $12.5 million or a total of $37.5 million.

Arum said reaching an agreement didn’t take long even as he remarked that Pacquiao “may have known more when we started” in terms of negotiating but “he was a little shy about it.”

Arum also disclosed that when he first sat down with Schaefer he said ”in the first meeting I had with the Mayweather people I said you want me to spend two hours saying why Manny deserves more than fifty percent and then you’ll spend three hours telling me why Mayweather is entitled to more than 50 percent. So let’s save a lot of time and cut out the nonsense."

He felt that the excitement about the Mayweather fight demonstrated by Pacquiao can be attributed to “his competitive juices . This fight is for boxing the equivalent of ten American Super Bowls. It is the biggest fight that we’ve had in boxing in last 20 years from the standpoint of people talking about it, the buzz all over the world. I got up this morning and I couldn’t get off my cellphone. Mexico was calling me, France was calling me because everybody wants a statement. It is the biggest fight in boxing probably since the first Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier fight in 1970.”

Arum said “Pacquiao is participating in the biggest fight and he is on the biggest stage and he is pumped up and energized.”

However, Arum admitted that “the only thing I fear is the politics takes away some of the focus. I mean all Filipinos are going to be rooting for Manny like never before. This is the biggest fight, the biggest thing on the world stage so Filipinos as one – and I don’t want to get involved in Philippine politics – this person running against Manny should really reconsider whether it will be best for him to pull out of the fight and to take that one worry off Manny’s head.”

He invited Roy Chiongbian who is reportedly a reluctant candidate who is being pushed into the fray by his family to “come to the fight, cheer for Manny and run again for office for congress or even higher office. But he shouldn’t be running against Manny and trying to distract Manny so that he could possibly lose the fight.”

Arum said that he and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer who met early in the week over lunch in Las Vegas top discuss the fight “were very careful this time and went through every conceivable item and got that out of the way. I really believe that once we select the sight the battle for tickets starts. Everybody including my cousins whom I haven’t see in 50 years I am sure will be on the phone asking for fight tickets.”

Arum said he hadn’t been in contact with the Mayweather people but as of Saturday noon he had been in contact twice with Schaefer since he arrived in Manila since Schaefer was tasked with representing the Mayweather camp in the negotiations.

Jul 24, 2005
Sergio Martinez's Options Include Margarito and Spinks

By Rick Reeno

Promoter Lou DiBella spoke with BoxingScene.com in the aftermath of Paul Williams vs Sergio Martinez at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. After twelve back and forth rounds, which saw the fighters trade knockdowns in the very first, Williams won a majority decision.

Martinez, the reigning WBC junior middleweight champion, showed the entire boxing community that he is one of the best in the business by moving up to middleweight and taking Williams to the limit.

Sources told BoxingScene that Don King, promoter of IBF champion Cory Spinks, already reached out to DiBella. There has been some talk that Spinks could be paired with WBC 140-pound champion Devon Alexander on a March HBO date.

"We would love to get Spinks in March. My guy showed everyone tonight that he can fight his ass off and proved that he is one of the best fighters in the world. Paul Williams told me after the fight that Martinez is the best guy that he ever fought. I think Martinez could clean out the junior middleweight division. Margarito is another guy we want. We would love to get Margarito next year," DiBella told BoxingScene.com.

Margarito returns from his infamous one-year suspension in the first quarter of 2010. He stopped Martinez within seven rounds nearly a decade ago. During the summer, Margarito expressed some interest in moving up to 154-pounds to fight Martinez in a rematch.

After the kind of performance that Martinez pulled off in the Williams fight, I don't see Margarito running to take this rematch any time soon. There has been some talk that Martinez could end up staying at middleweight if a significant fight is not secured at 154. DiBella and Williams' promoter Dan Goossen spoke briefly about the possibility of Williams-Martinez rematch but it's not something that would happen in the immediate future.

Jul 24, 2005
Gary Shaw is Outraged With Williams-Martinez Judge

By Rick Reeno

Promoter Gary Shaw needed confirmation of the Paul Williams-Sergio Martinez scorecards - because he couldn't believe it when ring announcer Jimmy Lennon read off a score of 119-110 by Pierre Benoist in favor of Williams. The other two judges at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, Julie Lederman [114-114] and Lynne Carter [115-113 Williams], saw the fight in the same light as most people.

A week ago, Shaw had to suffer through a similiar situation when his fighter, lightweight Ali Funeka, appeared to dominate a twelve round contest with Joan Guzman on the Bute-Andrade undercard in Quebec. Just about everyone was stunned when two Canadian judges scored the fight a draw.

Shaw has no issue with Williams winning the fight. He does have an issue with a judge who gave Williams eleven out of twelve rounds in a very close fight that could have easily went the other way.

"While I do think Paul Williams won the fight by two rounds, we have to put a stop to these judges who can't judge or have their own agenda. There is absolutely no way that Martinez only won one round. We have to develop in boxing, a mechanism for judges that have problems. It's unfair to the fighters, and just as important, unfair to the boxing fans," Shaw told BoxingScene.com.

"I implore all of the commissions, sanctioning bodies and promoters to immediately hold a judging symposium so we can stop cheating the fans. When Julie Lederman has it 114-114 and this other guy has it 119-110, there is something seriously wrong."

Jul 24, 2005
Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler Heads To April 17

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com has received notification that Carl Froch's defense of the WBC super middleweight title against Mikkel Kessler has been bumped to April 17 in Denmark. The fight had been planned for March and some thought it would be paired on Showtime with another second stage bout in the Super Six tournament - Arthur Abraham vs Andre Dirrell, scheduled for March 6 in California.

Kessler's face suffered all sorts of damage from last month's decision loss to Andre Ward. He is going to require some added healing time to prepare. Ward's next fight in the Super Six, against Jermain Taylor or otherwise, will likely take place on the same April date. Of course, that depends on Taylor's decision to go forward with the fight and the schedule of a possible replacement - like Allan Green or IBF champion Lucian Bute.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
What a great fight that was (Martinez/Williams). I couldn't be more please with the fight. It lived up to what I thought, and afterwards, I told my wife that I'd be content with the outcome UNLESS there was some "STUPIDLY OUTRAGEOUS score, like 119-110 or something..."

And what do we get?

That was horrible.

Jul 24, 2005
Paul Williams-Chris Arreola - The new “Dynamic Duo”

By Chris Acosta - Bert and Ernie, Thelma and Louise, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Cause and Effect, Bradshaw and Swann, Pamela Anderson: all great examples of the magic of historical pairs. The duo, the pairing of two contrasting or analogous entities, has always made for great drama, comedy, sport or epic saga.

Yeah sure, single characters have their own charm too but they’ll never match the versatility or range an extra set of opinions can provide. And trios are routinely anointed with negative connotations: Stooges, Blind Mice, Little Pigs, reading, writing and arithmetic and so on. No matter what the situation, it’s almost always more fun to do it, ahem, with someone else.

Last night’s Boxing After Dark segment on HBO, reminded me of the fact that Goossen-Tutor stable mates, Paul “The Punisher” Williams and Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola have become their own little institution in the boxing world. Their double-headers have routinely created violent endings for their opponents and also put them in some hairy situations. Let’s go back in time for a moment, shall we?

2-09-2008 Arreola smashes an overmatched Cliff Couser and Williams, avenges the only loss of his career to Carlos Quintana, by wiping the Puerto Rican southpaw off his conscience. Both fights end in the first round..

9-25-2008

Williams makes his middleweight debut by obliterating journeyman Andy Kolle in the first round with a monster of a right hook. Arreola comes in at a career-high (at the time) 258 pounds and dispatches the game Israel Garcia with his signature combinations. Afterwards, the Riverside native has either the gall or comedic timing to proclaim that since Williams moved up in weight, that he should too.

11-29-08

Veteran Verno Phillips defending the interim WBO Light-Middleweight title, is ground down by Williams’ withering body-punching and forced to surrender at the end of eight rounds. Arreola gets banged around in the first round by fellow prospect Travis Walker, gets dropped in the second and appears headed for his first loss but he retaliates by scoring his own knockdown and then flattening Walker with a picture-perfect hook.

4-11-2009

Typical Arreola: Pound the other guy wherever you can hit him, get rocked a few times (you know, to keep the crowd interested) and then tease us fans by finishing the opponent (Jameel McCline in this case) with a beautiful combination. The ending leaves the nagging question: How good could this guy be if he really applied himself?

Williams shows what happens when you dedicate yourself to your craft by dominating the puzzle of Winky Wright. At the post-fight interview, Wright comments-almost as if thinking aloud- “I knew he threw a lot of punches, but I didn’t know he throws that many punches.” Neither did we, Winky, neither did we.

Which brings us to last night’s December 5th card. Now we knew that Chris Arreola wasn’t going to venture out too deep after the humbling beat down at the hands of Vitali Klitschko only three months ago. Enter Brian Minto. Minto, a smallish heavyweight from Pennsylvania, is the perfect foil: gutsy, offensive and marginally talented. It doesn’t hurt that the guy has never been stopped and went the distance with Germany’s respectable Luan Krasniqi. His credentials are honest.

It goes according to plan, sort of. Minto is out-sized, and gives up nearly 50 pounds in weight but he finds a cozy little home for his right hand on Arreola’s Shnozz and isn’t afraid to use it. Chris eventually pounds his foe into the ground but not before his uncooperative opponent lands some jarring punches on the way down; talk about going down swinging. The crowd loves it and that should count for a lot more than it seems to nowadays. And in an interesting side note regarding Chris’ weight: I didn’t notice it at first but my wife pointed out that despite what the scales said, Arreola did not look too bad. If you compare the physique he brought in against Garcia and even Klitschko, this version of the big seemed tighter and his
shoulders and arms appeared bigger. No, I am not making excuses for him but it’s interesting how dramatically his body appears from fight to fight. We’ll see how it plays out in the future.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t give Sergio Martinez much of a chance against Williams, feeling that Paul was just plain too relentless to fend off for an entire twelve rounds. Throw in the fact that “Maravilla” was stopped almost ten years ago by a guy named Antonio Margarito, a fight in which he shined early but faded under the Mexican’s pressure and the thought was that something similar would happen here. When Sergio was dropped in the first round, it seemed that his demise would unfold much quicker than expected; after all, Williams learned something about dealing with a fellow left-hander as the Quintana episodes illustrated, right? Wrong . Martinez returned the favor moments later with a blinding hook, Williams fell onto his seat and the fans came out of theirs. The first round set the tone for the whole fight: Williams with that undying pressure that you gotta love and Martinez’ unusual athleticism which created a sense of danger every time he flashed his counterpunches.

The fight could really have went either way and there were no losers (except that stupid judge who scored it 119-109 for Williams). It was definitely a fight -of -the year type of adventure and begs for a rematch. More importantly, it adds momentum to a pretty darned good year for boxing. With Manny Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather set for next year, the Super Six adding a unique flavor to the norm, it’s nice to see that the Williams-Arreola tandem has been delivering excitement in
droves. And that’s the whole idea: let them share a card and see who steals the show. Williams refuses to find the easy way out of earning his money and he’s one of those ring rarities who delivers as promised. And to top it off, he’s world –class all the way which makes his profile even more intriguing. Arreola, a big dude who runs on a bigger battery (and offering a hell of a contradiction to the health and exercise industry) isn’t going to be easy for anyone. He’s mean, more skilled than given credit for and more penetrating than a European beach-goers’ Speedo. The division is better with him in it regardless if some won’t admit it.

Let’s appreciate this traveling set of bruise mongers while we can and hope that we get a few more miles of sadistic scenery out of them. Something tells me that they aren’t anywhere near being done.

Jul 24, 2005
Calzaghe Wants To See David Haye Fight The Klitschkos

By Mark Vester

Joe Calzaghe would like to see his countryman WBA heavyweight champion David Haye fight both of Klitschko brothers in 2010; WBO/IBO/IBF champion Wladimir and WBC champion Vitali. Calzaghe feels that Haye has the skill to fight and beat the brothers but warns that both fighters will be far tougher than the 7'2 giant Nikolai Valuev, who Calzaghe doesn't think could fight very much. Haye must first meet and beat WBA mandatory John Ruiz.

“David has the skill and speed but fighting someone like the Klitschko brothers will be harder than fighting Valuev, who is a bigger guy but he can’t fight. He will be the underdog but let’s see. He out-boxed Valuev, he kept his distance and he didn’t lose sight of what he had to do. I believe that when he fi ghts the Klitschkos he will try the same tactics," Calzaghe told The Daily Star.

“He has to fight John Ruiz first, which he will win easily. Then I see him making a big fight, possibly at Wembley in the summer, full house, against one of the Klitschkos. That will be massive money. Win or lose, he will be set for life.”

Haye is one of the biggest trash talkers in boxing. Calzaghe has advised him to keep it up. He says the verbal wars that Haye creates are good for business in the end.

“Early on in my career I was exactly the same as David. It’s good because people pay attention to what he has to say. He rattles his opponents. That’s a good thing. Listen, it’s pantomime. Remember Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn? Remember the hatred between the two of them? It’s all crap. But it puts bums on seats. People want to watch the fight and it makes more money for the fighters. That’s just the way it is,” Calzaghe said.

Jul 24, 2005
Ricky Hatton's Comeback Will Be For One Fight Only

By Mark Vester

Ricky Hatton is still considering a comeback and won't make a final decision until the first few weeks of 2010. He did confirm that his comeback will be for a single fight. He wants to redeem himself with a win but doesn't want to make it a full comeback campaign. Hatton only wants to set the record straight after being crushed in two rounds by Manny Pacquiao back in May.

For what may be the first time in public, Hatton admits to the issues that went on in his training camp behind the scenes. Leading up to the Pacquiao fight, there were rumors of a growing rift between trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. and co-trainer Lee Beard.

"Only another boxer would know why I’m thinking about having another fight," said Hatton. "It was embarrassing for me what happened against Pacquiao. There were things that went on in my training camp that affected that fight and I will talk to the people who know.

"I’m not going to take any notice of those people who say I should never go back in the ring because they do not know me and they do not know what has gone on in the background. I’ve heard the warnings about boxers going on too long and risking long-term damage. But I’m not coming back for five fights or anything like that. If I decide to come back it will be for one fight."

Hatton's likely opponent is still Juan Manuel Marque

Jul 24, 2005
Arreola vs Thompson Next? Drama Erupts at Post Presser

By Mark Vester

Promoter Dan Goossen had to play referee on Saturday night when his two heavyweights, Chris Arreola and Tony Thompson, began to exchange verbal punches during the post-fight press conference to Paul Williams-Sergio Martinez. Arreola stopped Brian Minto in the HBO televised co-feature. Thompson appeared on the undercard and stopped Chazz Witherspoon. BoxingScene.com's Bill Emes caught all of the drama as it unfolded.

Thompson was speaking about a potential fight with "I Hope that I can meet Arreola later."

"Now, not later" - Arreola would answer back.

Thompson - "I think it would be a great fight"

Arreola - "I'm better"

Thompson - "Hey, that’s his opinion"

Arreola - “That’s what I know”

Thompson - "If Dan and HBO are not afraid to put their baby up, we can prove it once and for all"

Arreola: "We’ve seen the way you went down against [Wladimir] Klitschko. Not me, I didn’t go to sleep [against Vitali Klitschko]. I'm sorry I got a chin"

Thompson: "That's true, but a loss is a loss. A lot of people don’t know this, but I was fighting Klitschko on one leg. I had a meniscus tear. That's not no excuse. I’ll do anything for my family, including fighting that monster on one leg."

Arreola: "I don't talk. I don't count nobdoy out but once they mention my name it pisses me off. I never called nobody out"

Thompson: "I'm not calling you out"

Arreola: "I believe you did, you called me a big baby"

Thompson: "I didn't call you a big baby"

Arreola: "You said I was HBO's baby"

Then a member of Team Thompson cut in and said "Then make the fight"

Arreola exploded with "Hey, you shut the f**k up"

And then the member of Team Thompson answered - "Hey, f**ck you man"

Arreola would respond - "What? F**k me?"

And the member of Team Thompson said - "Yeah, f**ck you"

As the situation started to get really tense, Goossen cut everyone off to shut the situation down.

"All of you guys, we are here talking about a great night of boxing. We are not here at a press conference to announce another fight," Goossen said.

Jul 24, 2005
Who Should Amir Khan Fight In His American Debut

by James Slater - WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan has made it clear he is anxious to make his debut in America soon, very possibly the next time he fights. Fresh off his impressive one-round blow-out of the previously unbeaten Dmitriy Salita, the 23-year-old has said many times how much it means to him to make his name in the U.S.

Currently there are at least three names being bandied around as possible opponents Khan could face next, and in America, but we have to wait for official confirmation. It is still possible Khan could fight again in the U.K - certainly promoter Frank Warren said he'd like to see his fighter box over here a couple more times before he goes to the States. But if Khan gets his way, and there's no reason he shouldn't, his next bout, his next world title defence, will be in the country seen as number-one when it comes to a fighter proving himself as one of the best..

Who would you like to see Khan fight in his U.S debut?

The names I've read as possibilities are Jose Luis Castillo, Zab Judah and Juan Manuel Marquez. The faded Castillo aside, these are an interesting and exciting set of names. And judging by how fast, how powerful and how strong he looked up at 140-pounds on Saturday night, Khan would be favourite over all of them - as good as they are.

32-year-old Judah would bring to the table his reputation as a former two-weight world champion and he would also present Khan with the challenge of facing a southpaw. With 140-pounds always being his best weight (Zab was too small against the big welterweights), the Brooklyn man would be strong and also fast. It would be interesting to see how Khan would cope with Zab's experience as well as his hand speed - hand speed that would perhaps even rival his own.

As for Marquez, he too has a most impressive track record and is a former three-weight world champion. But Marquez has never fought at light-welterweight before, he is coming off a one-sided loss (albeit to the best, or maybe the second best fighter on the planet in Floyd Mayweather Junior) and he is getting on in years at age 36. Khan has shown a lot of interest in facing the man known as "Dinamita," however, and so has his trainer Freddie Roach. Could Khan even become the first man to stop the Mexican great?

As for Castillo, who Roach has also reportedly expressed interest in his charge fighting, the 35-year-old has beaten nobody of real note since his 4th-round KO loss at the hands of Ricky Hatton back in June of 2007. The Mexican warhorse has been active, however, wining his last four fights, all of them taking place this year and all of them ending via by stoppage. But how would the critics who moaned about Khan-Salita react if the WBA 140-pound champ did opt to face the veteran? Would even a crushing win for Khan prove all that much?

For me, Khan Vs. Marquez is the most interesting fight of the possibilities being discussed, but the Judah fight isn't far behind. For the record, Khan has not ruled out an all-British showdown with former champ Ricky Hatton, but if that money spinner did take place you can bet it will happen in the U.K.

Jul 24, 2005
Kevin Mitchell Wants Michael Katsidis' WBO Lightweight Crown, Then A Super-Fight With

by James Slater - Fresh off the biggest win of his now 30-fight pro career, 25-year-old lightweight contender Kevin Mitchell is thinking big. With his dominant points win over Bredis Prescott on Saturday, the Dagenham warrior became the mandatory challenger for the WBO 135-pound crown currently held by Juan Manuel Marquez (with the Mexican expected to fight up at 140 in his next outing, thus making current interim champ Michael Katsidis the full champion). And Mitchell, 30-0(22) said at the port-fight press conference in Newcastle that he wants to face the exciting Australian and then hopefully land a huge fight with his friend, Amir Khan.

Having proven he is a strong lightweight, a weight where he has also maintained his speed of hand and foot, Mitchell must be given a real shot at beating the hard-hitting but somewhat wild Katsidis. And as for the Khan fight, though that will be a whole different ballgame in comparison, Mitchell said he would be more than willing to move up in weight again, to light-welterweight..

Mitchell spoke post-fight about how much he has matured as a fighter at age 25, and how the Prescott fight would have been a different fight had he met the Colombian when he was a few years younger.

"If I'd fought Prescott when I was a boy of 20, it would have been a very hard fight," Mitchell said. "But I'm a man of 25 now and I kept my head, kept to my game-plan, and I broke his heart."

When asked about Prescott's fearsome right hand, Mitchell admitted he felt it at times during the 12-rounder.

"It was a hard punch," he said, his left eye swollen underneath as a result of the shots Prescott did manage to get home with. "But I out-boxed him and did what I had to do. I knew I couldn't revert back to my old self and have a war with him. I think tonight was the best I've ever boxed. Now I want to fight for the [WBO] world lightweight title, and then I'd like to have a massive all-British fight with Amir Khan."

Mitchell also spoke of how his friend Khan gave him some pre-fight advice on how to handle the man who famously knocked him out in just 54-seconds last year. Now one of the hottest commodities in British boxing, Mitchell, if he were to beat Katsidis and then Khan, would become one of the hottest fighters in the world!

And, with all due respect to 29-year-old Katsidis, 26-2(21), I think Mitchell could well put on another hit-and-move display of class boxing against him, similar to the one he gave us on Saturday evening. Not as big a puncher as Prescott, if a better all-rounder, "The Great" would, in my opinion, have as hard a time nailing Mitchell flush as Prescott had. I for one never thought the sometimes hot-headed former super-featherweight champion - who has said his best qualities have been showing how good he is "in the trenches," and "while going to war" - would be able to box the near perfect and superbly controlled fight he did in Newcastle.

As long as he keeps his head and doesn't revert back to the old Kevin Mitchell, the 25-year-old would be able to out-point Katsidis and become world champion. This fight has to happen for Mitchell, too - as he is the WBO mandatory. The Khan fight, however, could well take a lot longer to come to fruition. Simply put, right now everyone from Zab Judah to Juan Manuel Marquez to Ricky Hatton to Floyd Mayweather has been suggested as a possible future foe for the 23-year-old. Mitchell, as good as he is, could well have to wait his turn in a very long line.

But a win over Katsidis, and the title it would bring, could see to it that Mitchell gets his dream fight.

Jul 24, 2005
B.J Flores: "My Ideal Christmas Present Would Be A Fight Being Made With Marco Huck!

by James Slater As he's more than made clear before on this very web site, unbeaten cruiserweight contender B.J Flores craves a fight with WBO 200-pound ruler Marco Huck. And after having watched Huck defend his belt with a points win over interim WBO champ Ola Afolabi at the weekend, the 30-year-old who is currently 24-0-1(15) sure hasn't changed his mind any. Flores would be more than willing to travel to Germany for fight and he hopes Huck will agree to face him next time out.

Kindly taking the time to speak with me about this and other things, B.J gave the following answers to my questions:

James Slater: It's great to speak with you again so soon, B.J. First of all, were you impressed with Marco Huck's win over Ola Afolabi on Saturday?

B.J Flores: I think he did what he had to do to win. He was fighting a tough guy. But basically, he did pretty much the same thing - I saw no real changes in Huck's style. He squeaked another close decision, as he did when he won the title from Ramirez - and a world champion should be making more of a statement. I mean, let's face it, he was fighting a guy who has only had 15 pro fights in Afolabi, and Huck never pulled away and made a statement. I really don't think he's improving..

J.S: Did you go over to Germany to be ringside for the fight?

B.J.F: No, I watched it on a live stream and then I saw it again on You Tube. Again, I don't think Huck has looked like a champion is supposed to look. Okay, he's been in with some tough guys, but he's just squeaked past them. He won't be able to squeak past me.

J.S: So from what you saw of him against Afolabi, you want Huck just as much, or even more?

B.J.F: More! This is the only fight I want. This is it! Who else is there for him to fight? He has the chance now, I read, to take an optional fight, and I'm knocking down his door. Who else is really demanding the fight? Who else is willing to go to Germany to fight him? I know for sure I can beat him - my career has been leading up to this fight. I will bring the belt back home with me, I have no doubt at all. There's no way he can learn enough to be able to beat me in the next four months or so. I'll put something on him like nobody he's ever faced has done. Huck's sporadic offence cannot beat me.

J.S: Are you still planning to have a tune-up in January?

B.J.F: Well, the thing that happened with Roy [Jones[ has really upset everything. Nobody knows what's happening right now. I could box a tune-up, but at the same time, I'd go straight to Germany to fight Huck if that's what they wanted. I'm ready right now. I'm training and I'd go straight for Huck next. I will do whatever it takes to make the fight - whatever the Sauerlands need so as to get this fight made. They're smart guys, and they want to make the best fights - and this fight, as they know, would be big for Germany. Like I say, I'm beating down the door for this fight. I'm eating, drinking and sleeping Marco Huck!

J.S: You mentioned Roy Jones' shock loss, and it was a huge surprise. Would you like a fight with Danny Green if you can't for any reason get Huck?

B.J.F: Oh yeah! Green proved himself with the win, he's got to be taken seriously and he's got to be contended with. Ideally, though I'd definitely go to Australia to fight Danny Green, I'd like to fight Huck first, then Green. I think the Green fight would be that much bigger if I had a title; if I'd beaten Huck first. Would Green want to fight me if I didn't have a world title? But both fights, they're what I need. I've really started taking my career seriously in the last six months or so, and I know now that I have to go and get these fights.

J.S: Do you think the referee did the right thing in stopping the Green-Jones fight? I know Bernard Hopkins, for one, felt it was a premature stoppage.

B.J.F: I think it could have been called either way, but the referee definitely did what he thought was right at the time. There was a lull in the action after the knockdown, and when Green stopped punching, Roy didn't punch back - he was still unsteady and still hurt. Bernard has said what he's said because he still wants the fight with Roy. I don't think Bernard will fight Green, but I'd certainly go to Australia. Green is good for boxing, he's a popular guy and that's because he's witty, he's likeable, and he can fight as well. He has a big fan base over there, and it would be a great fight, me and him. But I can't stress enough how much I want the fight with Huck!

J.S: Afolabi hurt Huck in the 5th round of their fight, when he wobbled him with an uppercut. Did you see that and think that maybe you'd be able to stop Huck and not just out-box him?

B.J.F: I saw that, yeah. And it wasn't just a little wobble - he was badly hurt, and we haven't seen Huck hurt too many times like that. But he fought back like a warrior and he beat a tough guy. I think maybe Huck has improved a little, and he does have a good defence when he goes into his tight shell - but he hasn't improved enough to be able to beat me. I know it may sound bad, but that's just the way I feel. I know it would be a tough fight, and that I'd have to get ready for it like no other fight, but I can beat him, no doubt. But as for when I do fight Huck, I won't be changing my game-plan - and I have a great game-plan to beat him - just because I saw him hurt by Afolabi. My game-plan would stay the same whether I had seen that or if I hadn't seen it.

J.S: Well, I hope you get the fight. I think it would be a great fight for the division - an unbeaten contender against a now established champion.

B.J.F: Exactly, those are my thoughts entirely. Let me ask you, who else is there for Huck to fight next but me? Everyone else is tied up. This fight makes so much sense. Back before Huck fought Ramirez, I was the guy who was ranked higher than him [with the WBO]. But his promoters did a great job with him and got him the fight. Now it's time for him to do the right thing and give me the shot. He had to get by Afolabi and he's done that now - so there are no other obstacles. Let's make the fight! Can we do it now, Marco!?!

J.S: Thanks again for your time, B.J. I really hope you get the fight.

B.J.F: Thank you, James. Yes, getting the fight agreed to would be an early Christmas present for me. I want Marco Huck for Christmas!

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Hall Of Fame Announces Class Of 2010

CANASTOTA, NY - DECEMBER 8, 2009 - The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall. Living inductees include light flyweight champion Jung-Koo Chang (South Korea), featherweight champion Danny “Little Red” Lopez (USA), manager Shelly Finkel (USA), referee / commissioner Larry Hazzard (USA), promoter Wilfried Sauerland (Germany), matchmaker Bruce Trampler (USA) and journalist Ed Schuyler (USA). “We’re extremely excited about the Class of 2010 and very much looking forward to honoring the 21st class of inductees,” said Executive Director Edward Brophy. “All living inductees are anticipated to attend and participate in 2010 Hall of Fame Weekend festivities..”

The 21st Annual Hall of Fame Weekend is scheduled for June 10-13th in Canastota, NY. Over 20 events, including a golf tournament, banquet, parade and autograph card show, are planned. An impressive celebrity lineup of boxing greats of yesterday and today will attend this year’s Induction Weekend. The highlight of the weekend will be the Official Enshrinement Ceremony on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 13th to welcome the newest members.

The Hall of Fame also released names of posthumous honorees: light heavyweight Lloyd Marshall in the Modern Category; featherweight champion Young Corbett II, lightweight champion Rocky Kansas and light heavyweight and heavyweight contender Billy Miske in the Old-Timer Category; broadcaster Howard Cosell in the Observer Category; and Paddington Tom Jones in the Pioneer Category. Inductees were voted in by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians.

For more information on the events planned for the 2010 International Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend, please call the Hall of Fame at (315) 697-7095 or visit www.ibhof.com.

COMMENTS UPON RECEIVING INDUCTION NEWS

"This is great! I’ve been to Canastota in the past for the Hall of Fame Weekend festivities and thought maybe some day I’d be elected and now I am. This feels great and makes me feel real special to be elected.”

- Danny Lopez

“I’m honored. I feel honored to be in the company of the greatest people in the sport.”

- Shelly Finkel

“I’m almost overcome by emotions, I’m telling you. Let me just say that in 1957 when I walked into a little gymnasium in Newark, New Jersey, I never dreamed that over a half-century later that my name would be on the Hall of Fame Wall with the great Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis and all the great fighters who have graced the great sport of professional boxing. This is the crowning jewel of my career and I never dreamed this day would ever come. It is the greatest honor that could ever be bestowed upon me in the sport of boxing and for it I am truly grateful.

- Larry Hazzard

Jul 24, 2005
Al Bernstein talks about the Super Six Boxing Tournament

by Geoffrey Ciani - Prior to the start of the Super Six I was afforded the opportunity to have a nice chat with Showtime’s boxing analyst Al Bernstein. Now that the first round of fighting is over, I was once again afforded this same opportunity late last week. Here is what Al had to say:

Q: Al, the biggest surprise coming out of the first round of the Super Six super middleweight tournament might well have been the impressive performance by Andre Ward against tournament favorite Mikkel Kessler. I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about Andre Ward and your thoughts on him at this point?

A: I think that there were a number of people, myself included, that certainly thought Andre Ward could win. A lot of people picked him outright. I don’t make picks when I announce fights. So I don’t think it’s shocking that he might have won the fight, although certainly he was an underdog and understandably, but I think what is astonishing is how he won the fight. Mikkel Kessler was almost never in the match—at all. It was a dominating performance by Andre Ward. Some of it was made possible, in my opinion, by the fact that Kessler was just very flat. He has had some inactivity issues even though he had that fight against (Gusmyr) Perdomo some months ago and he’s had I think nagging injuries that he says are fine but I don’t know that they are—but, having said that, I don’t want to take anything away from Andre Ward. He was excellent and he did exactly what he needed to do..

Audio:

He’s coming into his own as a fighter who looks like a grizzled veteran, but a grizzled veteran with youth and speed. He gives you different looks in the ring, whether it’s going on the inside and then going on the outside, whether it’s starting off with a jab or sometimes starting off with a lead left hook. He is—make no mistake about it—a rough fighter in the ring. I’m not saying that all of the clashes of the heads that he ended up having with Kessler, the butts with Kessler, were intentional. I think one of them was. Or, let’s put it this way—if it wasn’t intentional, it wasn’t exactly unintentional. But having said that, it’s not that he’s a dirty fighter, he’s a rough fighter and he will do what he needs to do in that ring, and when you put all that together it makes him a formidable person in this tournament and in the 168 pound division.

Q: With Mikkel Kessler, he was widely regarded as the favorite coming in and as you noted, he was never really in that fight against Andre Ward where, he looked more like the green inexperienced fighter in a lot of ways and Andre Ward looked a lot more like the seasoned vet in there. I’m wondering, do you think Mikkel Kessler can bounce back from this?

A: Yeah, I actually do think he can and the reason I think he can is twofold. The next fighter he gets in the tournament, Carl Forch, has a style much better suited to Kessler. Carl Froch is a straight ahead fighter whose defense is a little questionable, who can be hit, and I think Kessler is going to hit him with some punches and some big punches, and he has power, Kessler. So I think there is a good chance for Kessler to bounce back and a lot of it has to do with style, however, Kessler was criticized or commented on by the Ward camp and other that he’s such a straight forward fighter that unless you’re standing in front of him he can’t beat you, and of course, Joe Calzaghe figured that out in the second half of their fight and they said he couldn’t make any adjustments and, of course, he didn’t in the Andre Ward fight. He did not. He could not figure out a way to do it.

Now part of that is just he didn’t do the things he does well, either. When he double jabbed in that fight, it opened up options for him that he never kept using, so some of it is doing what Kessler does better but some of it is also realizing that not every fighter is exactly the same and being able to adapt at least a little bit. But he’s got Carl Froch in the second fight of the tournament and in the third round he gets either Jermain Taylor or whoever would replace Taylor if—I know there’s speculation about Taylor continuing—so depending on who that would be, that style may mesh better with him, so I wouldn’t count Kessler out in this tournament at all, but clearly this was a jarring blow to him.

Q: Now you alluded to it briefly, I’m curious, what are your thoughts on Jermain Taylor? Do you think he will stick around given that his second round match-up is slated to be against Andre Ward which would turn out, despite losing four of his last five fights, that would actually be a title fight for Taylor. Do you think he’ll stay in it for now?

A: Well, you know I said it on the beginning of the telecast of the Ward-Kessler fight that some of Jermain Taylor’s decision—and this is purely speculation on my part, I’ve not talked to anybody from their camp, I don’t know, they’ve not communicated anything that I’m aware of—some of it may hinge on having a title available, and I said, some of it may hinge on Ward’ performance in the fight. Now strangely enough, even though Andre Ward was dominant and won the fight and at moments, I think, did stun Mikkel Kessler with some punches—although to be truthful, I think he stunned him more in those clashes of heads—it’s possible you know, just possible, that Jermain Taylor is looking at that fight and saying to himself, “Well, let’s think ahead. Andre Ward fought a terrific fight, but he’s not perceived as a monstrous puncher at 168 pounds”, and Jermain Taylor may say, “I have different skill sets, let’s say, than Kessler”, although ironically, Jermain Taylor fights more like a European fighter, to be truthful. Even though he’s got good hand speed, there’s less movement, he’s an erect straight-up fighter, but he may feel like he has the skills to figure out a little bit more what Ward is doing. And then Taylor gets Kessler in the third, if I’m not mistaken, in the third fight. So maybe watching Kessler gave him hope. I don’t know. This is all speculation and I don’t know what timetable Jermain Taylor is on, but I just think we’re all waiting to see what Jermain Taylor has to say.

Q: The other very impressive performance from the first round, as noted by most observers, would be Arthur Abraham’s impressive twelfth round stoppage against Jermain Taylor. In fact, Abraham is the only one to have scored three points in that round because he got the extra point for the knockout. What kind of momentum do you think he has going into his second round fight with Andre Dirrell?

A: When Danny Sheridan did odds for this tournament, the renown sports analyst, and made Abraham a co-favorite, I was a little bit surprise only in that I thought Abraham was the second on the list to Kessler, pretty close to Kessler, but Danny was right and I’ve always thought Arthur Abraham was a handful. Since I first started watching him after the first (Edison) Miranda fight, I’ve always felt that Arthur Abraham was going to be difficult for Kelly Pavlik if they ever fought, and was hell on wheels in the middleweight division, and then when he came up and beat Edison Miranada in Florida, you got the impression on our air, you get the impression that at 168 he was going to be difficult. And Jermain Taylor fought some very good rounds in that fight, which you always do against Abraham. You can win rounds against Abraham. You can win the battle, but winning the war is tough.

He has two things that I think might be the best in boxing. He has the best chin, by far, of anybody in the sport of boxing. Secondly, he has the best shell-like defense, and I say “shell-like” because I’m not saying he’s a better defensive fighter than let’s say Floyd Mayweather or somebody, but for a shell-like defense that you can’t get to the body or the head, when he’s in that defensive posture it’s so hard to hit him. As Steve Farhood said, he fights offense and defense like a football team—he never fights both at the same time. So you try to hit him, he comes out of that defensive shell not just with one punch but with powerful combinations, so the trick is to beat Arthur Abraham, you have to box twelve perfect rounds in my opinion, because I don’t think you’re going to knock him out and you have to win a decision. Whoever wins this tournament it may come down to who can figure out the puzzle of Arthur Abraham.

Q: Speaking of that, do you think that Andre Dirrell, coming off what many consider a controversial loss against Carl Froch—Dirrell draws him next. Do you think Dirrell will have a chance to be successful against Arthur Abraham?

A: Well he does have a chance. Here’s the problem for Andre Dirrell. He fought almost the perfect fight against Carl Froch, for him. Remember, that was the first time he had ever faced a major opponent. He came into this tournament really with no world class experience. He really did. So on hostile territory at 2 o’clock in the morning, he fought almost the perfect fight against Froch. Had he been just a little more aggressive—now I had the fight scored a draw—had he been a little more aggressive, although apparently the judges had it 115-112, two of them, I guess. Maybe he needed more than a little more, but he just needed to throw more punches. Here’s the problem. He cannot be overly aggressive against Arthur Abraham.

Now the fight’s going to be in the United States so that will be a plus in terms of not having to travel and all the rest, but now he’s in a conundrum. He said to himself, “I fought the perfect kind of fight against Carl Froch”. He even hurt Froch once or twice, “I didn’t get the decision, so somebody’s not liking what I’m doing when I’m that kind of Andre Dirrell”. So does he fight the exact same fight, which is exactly what he needs to fight against Arthur Abraham, and let the chips fall where they may but just try and make sure he throws more punches? I say yes to that, but he may have some doubt in his mind as to whether he can do that and Abraham is the exact wrong fighter for him to be overly aggressive against, so it’s a conundrum. But does Andre Dirrell have the physical gifts to beat Arthur Abraham? Yes. Two fighters in this tournament have that kind of ability, and that’s him and Ward if they fight twelve perfect rounds.

Q: Going back to Carl Froch, as you noted earlier and I agree with you on this, he presents a different stylistic challenge for Kessler, and it’s one that I agree with you is much more favorable to Kessler, but there’s another aspect to all of this and it’s the psychological standpoint of the fighters. Carl Froch might well be the most confident guy in the tournament, and right now, Kessler—he is definitely not as confident as he would like to be at this stage given the upset he faced. Do you think that that could help carry Carl Froch to victory against Kessler?

A: Yeah, it really can. Now the fight will be in Denmark, and that’s good for Kessler. In boxing, obviously, the crowd can’t fight the fight for you, and it won’t hurt Froch. Froch will not be daunted by fighting in Denmark. He will not be daunted by that, but what it will do is give Kessler at least some warm fuzzy feelings and a lot of support that will boost his confidence a little. But you hit on it, Carl Froch is an utterly confident and some would say arrogant guy. And I like him, I enjoy being around him. I get a kick out of him, and he’s just a fascinating guy to listen to, but he does not believe he can lose and some of that is even, even if you want to say a little of it’s delusional like, he’ll look at that Dirrell fight and he’ll just say, “Oh I just out boxed him. I beat him at his own game, and why would anyone be shocked that I got the decision?” But that’s part of his whole demeanor and it serves him well, because he’s not thinking losing and he’s never lost as a pro. So I agree with you, that is the trump card for Carl Froch, that and the fact that he does hit with power. Now he never quite landed against Dirrell the way he should, but Kessler is a much more stationary target, can be hit certainly from time to time, and we’re going to find out if Carl Froch’s power gets to Kessler, who as you point out, clearly has some confidence issues.

Q: I’ve had the opportunity to speak to both Froch and Ward before their fights, and I actually spoke to Ward again after his fight, and one of the things Froch had said was with this whole American-European rivalry aspect of the tournament, Forch said that a lot of American fans are going to be disappointed because this is going to be an all-European final, and Andre Ward noted that this added fuel to his fire and gave him extra encouragement to go out there and win and he compared it to his time in the Olympics. As it turns out, Ward as it is now is slated to face two Americans the rest of the way. Do you think that Ward will ultimately get a chance to face one of those other Europeans, be it Froch himself or Abraham somewhere down the line?

A: Well, he probably will. Probably. If Andre Ward wins one more match he’s probably going to be in the semi-finals. I think four points will probably get you into the semi-finals, and if he does, there’s a good chance that he could meet either Forch or Abraham or maybe even Kessler again. If Kessler wins two matches in a row, he might be in the semi-finals and the way it’s seeded, you know, number one faces number four and they have all these tie-breaker things, I believe, to figure it out, and two faces three. So I think there’s a good chance that Andre Ward might face a European. It’s hard to tell. We’ll know a little better after round two. Now it’s really speculation, still.

I think there’s a good chance of that at some point, and listen, Ward could still not make the final four but he’s off to a very good start and because he fought so well, he’s already got two points. You have to say he has a very good chance. And I think the European-American aspect of this, while it wasn’t the whole thing that drove the tournament, this is a division that has been dominated for the most part by non-Americans, if you will. Europeans, and of course Lucian Bute made his case this last week, and he’s a very good 168 pounder. I don’t think the people all of a sudden coronated him the best in the division after that win even though I’m amazed he knocked out Librado Andarde, but let’s be honest, fighters like Andrade at a certain point in their career, you can point to Ray Mercer and there’s a few others. They have granite chins, but at some point, because they’ve taken so many punches all of a sudden that granite chin is not granite anymore, and that may be what happened to Andrade, but it was a great effort by Bute. But this division has been controlled for the most part by non-Americans, except for Jeff Lacy’s brief interlude and back in the day Frankie Lyles and a few people. So that part of it, I think, is an intriguing part of the tournament. It’s part of the fun of the tournament.

It’s not what it’s all about, and maybe I’ll use your column here as a chance to rebut. I very seldom talk about criticism or whatever, but there were just a couple of people who write on the internet who suggested that somehow we took a jingoistic approach to the commentary and the coverage of the fight, and I totally reject that. In fact it’s insulting. We’ve been desperately careful to cover these fights along the lines of boxing matches, and if there’s anything that I think is the hallmark of what we do at Showtime, it’s that we cover these matches viewing both fighters exactly the same and try very hard to showcase all of them and so we don’t see it, and I certainly don’t, as a battle between the American and the Europeans and somehow we’re rooting for Americans or we’re interested more in Americans. No. They’re all six fighters, they’re all in the tournament, they’re all interesting. I find them all interesting. I think they’re all intriguing guys and good fighters. So I don’t see the European-American thing as the main thing, but it spices this tournament and I can appreciate the fact, that especially when a Carl Forch makes that statement that it adds a fuel to the fire of Andre Ward.

Q: Al, on paper, going into the second round which fight do you think will provide the most exciting clash of styles for the fans?

A: There’s a couple of them that look interesting . Kessler-Froch to me has to either end in a knockout or be a brawl. I don’t know how else it can be anything else. Nobody in that fight is a mover. Kessler isn’t going to move around the ring much. Froch is going to attack him from the get go. So that one, I think, it will be a wild fight no matter what. The other two are very hard to predict because we assume Dirrell is going to box Arthur Abraham, which doesn’t mean it’s not going to be exciting because Abraham is going to get to him at some point, I think, and Dirrell—let me say this about Andre Dirrell. He showed some power against Froch. Froch we thought had an iron chin, right, and of course he didn’t go down but there were moments where Andre Dirrell hurt Carl Froch so maybe he can do something to at least stun Abraham. The third fight’s very tough because if it’s Taylor and Ward, I actually think that’s going to be a pretty interesting fight only because while Taylor does fight very much like the Europeans and it will be a struggle for him, I think, to adapt to all the different stylistic issues that Ward presents. He’s got quicker hands, I think, than Kessler and may be able to figure out a way to get some more punches in. So believe it or not, I actually think that could be pretty interesting as well.

Q: If Mikkel Kessler, the odds on favorite going into the tournament, is to comeback and actually win the tournament, do you think he needs somebody else to knock off Andre Ward?

A: Maybe he does. Can Mikkel Kessler do better against Andre Ward the next time? There’s two factors. One, Andre Ward is doing nothing but getting better and Andre Ward, by the time he faces Mikkel Kessler again, no matter what, will have two more fights under his belt. Let’s say he faced him in the semi-finals, he would have two more fights under his belt making him that much more experienced against top competition, and he only had his Edison Miranda fight as top competition coming into this tournament. That’s a negative for Kessler, but the positive is Kessler’s been there already. There were a few things, if he looks at that tape very carefully, that he did well but didn’t do enough of against Ward.

I think, believe it or not, one of the things you know he’s going to be doing and it depends on where that fight is held, Andre Ward was guilty of holding early in the fight, did not get a warning. There were the clashes of heads that they perceived as being intentional, whether they were or they weren’t. So he knows the two pitfalls first hand that he has to find a way around. You know they’re going to be working the officials on that. It would help Kessler, probably, if Andre Ward was defeated because the two trickiest people for him to fight in this tournament are Ward and Dirrell because of their movement and their style. Not to say the others can’t beat Kessler, but they present a more traditional challenge for him.

Q: For my final question Al, is there anything else you want to say to all the fans out at East Side Boxing?

A: No, just that—and I know you always ask that at the end of the interviews, and I love that—I really enjoy the coverage there and I love that your site is one that gives people really a chance to communicate very well with all the fans. The only thing I would say to them is I think this tournament is just going to continue to be fun. I appreciate the fact that most of the people that are viewing this tournament kind of are viewing it the right way. It’s going to have its ebbs, its flows, there are going to be some really good fights, some that are dominated, but they’re all going to be interesting and I think it’s going to be a really interesting fun event for boxing fans, and that’s what it was designed to be. That’s exactly what it’s supposed to be and I think it’s going to fulfill that.

Q: Great. Al, I want to thank you very much for your time and insight. I really appreciate it.

A: No problem at all, nice to talk to you.