Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com has heard some serious talk going around the industry that Amir Khan will vacate the junior welterweight title if the WBA forces him to fight Marcos Maidana next. Back in June, Maidana stopped Victor Ortiz in June to pick up the WBA' interim-title at 140-pounds.

After the Ortiz win, Maidana's side was putting pressure on the sanctioning body for a shot at Khan. There was only one problem, Dmitriy Salita was the mandatory and his side was ready for an all-out legal war if their title opportunity was given to Maidana.

The WBA gave Salita the first crack - with a catch attached. The winner of Khan-Salita had 90-days to fight Maidana. I hear the sanctioning body will soon issue an order for Khan-Maidana. Khan, looking at major names like Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez and the Diaz-Malignaggi winner - may have other plans in store for 2010.

lol! Khan don't want to get in the ring with Maidana, I don't even think he can fuck with Victor Ortiz either. Im not sold on Khan yet and plus he has a glass jaw

lol at this fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj7P74OjWak

Jul 24, 2005
Ricky Hatton Says He'd Like To Go Out With "An Absolute War Of A Fight," Wants One La

by James Slater - It seems as though every other week or so, there is a new article somewhere or other telling of Ricky Hatton's latest decision on whether or not he will fight again. Still to make his mind up completely, Hatton does look like fighting at least once more before hanging up the gloves. That's certainly the impression he gave whilst talking to members of the Australian media yesterday..

As reported by The Guardian, "The Hitman" arrived in Australia yesterday, for the purposes of a promotional tour, and the 31-year-old former light-welterweight champion of the world spoke of how he'd like to end his career, in all al-out blaze of glory in "an absolute war of a fight."

The Guardian article reports how Hatton would like to bow out against a big name such as an Oscar De La Hoya or a Juan Manuel Marquez, and Ricky himself told the Australian media how would like to exit the sport in a similar manner to the way Kostya Tszyu did, back when he lost a tough battle with him in 2005.

Though he quit on his stool after having taken heavy punishment against Hatton, Australian hero Tszyu won lots of praise for the sportsmanship he showed the new champion. Ricky, who doesn't want the image of him being flattened by Manny Pacquiao to be the final one he leaves behind, was greatly moved at how Tszyu conducted himself that night in Manchester over four years ago.

"The manner in which I ended my defeat (to Pac-Man) is not really the way I would like to bow out," Hatton said. "I'd like to bow out like Kostya, in an absolute war of a fight, a wonderful fight with great sportsmanship."

And though the possibility of this final "war" taking place against British rival Amir Khan still remains, whispers seem to suggest Hatton, if he does indeed decide fully to going back into the ring for at least one more fight, would face De La Hoya or Marquez. De La Hoya's name being mentioned is sure to raise some eyebrows, seeing as how the former "Golden Boy" has not fought himself since losing to Pacquiao. But some people seem to think there is a chance Oscar could make a return of his own and get it on with Hatton in a stadium blockbuster next summer.

Or maybe Hatton will fight the man he has reportedly already been in talks with, in Marquez. Either way, both these huge names would make it a special final fight night for Hatton, win or lose. And that's the point it seems: Ricky isn't afraid of losing, he'd just like to go out having given his fans and himself one last battle to be proud of.

For the record, Hatton will fully make up his mind about what his future holds over the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Jul 24, 2005
Steven Luevano Looking Sharp!

WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (37-1-1, 15KOs) of La Puente, CA, trained by former jr. lightweight champion Robert Garcia at the La Colonia Boxing Gym in Oxnard, CA, will be on taking on current WBO jr. featherweight champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (27-0, 24KOs) of Puerto Rico on January 23rd at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY, which will be shown live on HBO and is being promoted by Top Rank, in association with Arena Boxing U.S. and PR Best Boxing.

“Juan Manuel Lopez is a strong fighter, a great fighter. He’s knocked out a lot of his opponents but he’s not going to do that to me. I’m the best at 126 and on January 23rd I’m going to prove I’m the best featherweight by beating Juan Manuel Lopez”. – Luevano

Luevano’s last outing was against Bernabe Concepcion back in August in a bout which Luevano was winning when Concepcion hit Luevano after the bell to end round 7 which resulted in a win by disqualification for Luevano..

boxing

In the co-main event, unbeaten WBA featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa (16-0, 14KOs) defends his title against Rogers Mtagwa (26-13-2, 18KOs).

Jul 24, 2005
David Tua: Deserves to Ride the Wave

By Coach Tim Walker – Ask yourself this question: Why not Tua? I did and I haven’t come up with an answer. In virtually every professional sport modern day athletes, including boxers, are showing an increased ability as a whole to compete well into their 30s and 40s. Vitali Klitschko is 38. His younger brother is 33. Juan Carlos Gomez is 36. John Ruiz is 37. Living legend Evander Holyfield is 47. This is due in part to scientific advances that allow athletes bodies to recuperate and recover, certain individual physical and genetic traits, extraordinary training methods and a sheer desire to prove oneself against the world’s best.

In this spirit, again I say, why not David Tua? He isn’t a fly by night athlete. He isn’t a scrub or a setup fighter. He has been involved in the sport of boxing for nearly 25 years winning his first heavyweight national amateur championship back in 1988 when he, at the age of only 15, won the New Zealand Amateur Title. Plainly, he always comes to fight even on that rare occasion when he is outgunned..

There are far too many examples of older athletes performing well to suggest that there is a definite time for a professional boxer to put away his boxing gloves. Especially one of Tua’s caliber. Have we somehow forgotten the monster of a showing that he and Ike Ibeabuchi put on back in 97? That fight resulted in a very close decision going Ike’s way. Has the demolition of David Izon in the 12th round slipped our minds? Do we remember the amazing devastating first round knock outs of Michael Moorer, John Ruiz and Obed Sullivan that Tua produced? Did we forget that he was the first fighter to knock out Hasim Rahman? We should not forget.

I understand where a lot of you are coming from. In the big show he didn’t live up to the pre-banner hype surrounding him. Yes he lost to Chris Byrd, Lennox Lewis and Ibeabuchi but consider those losses closely. He has only been outclassed once and that was by Lewis, who by the way outclassed nearly everyone he fought. So again why not Tua?

After a two year layoff he came back against hard hitting countryman Shane Cameron and, for lack of more descriptive term, destroyed him. The same Cameron who many thought was too much for Tua. Who many thought would thoroughly outbox and out-slick the Tua-man. He knocked him down twice in the first round and then knocked him out in the second. Put Cameron into perspective also. He was absolutely on the rise and being considered worthy by many as a legitimate challenger to a heavyweight title. He wasn’t a bum fighter he was just beat by a better fighter, Tua.

Why not Tua? He has never, read this carefully, never-ever been knocked out and never touched the canvas as a pro. Put that into perspective also. 53 pro fights! He has never-ever not even once been knocked down. Chris Byrd and Lennox Lewis, who he lost to and are considered excellent former world champions, have been knocked out 4 times and 2 times respectively. Why not Tua?

I haven’t come up with a reason. I’m sure, other than maybe the suggestion that he is past his prime, that many of you won’t be able to come up with a valid reason either. He’s in good condition, he still has the hunger to box and obviously still has his best boxing attributes safely tucked away in his back pocket. I haven’t discovered a valid enough reason to suggest it’s time for him to officially hang them up. Until you do I say: Why not David Tua? Stay on the wave Tua. I’m riding with you.

Note: David Tua is scheduled to face good jabbing Bruce Seldon on February 7, 2010 in Atlantic City.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Manny Refuses The Staples Center

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao won’t agree to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and his adviser Michael Koncz believes Mayweather himself won’t agree to fight there either.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer who called off a planned visit with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and HBO Sports Ross Greenburg to Dallas, Texas to talk to the owner of the Dallas Cowboys new state-of-the-art stadium – Jerry Jones – at the last minute, announced that AEG had offered a $20 million guarantee to stage the fight at the Staples Center.

Schaefer’s decision forced Arum to cancel the trip which he said was an embarrassment since they hadn’t even given Jones the courtesy of listening to what his offer was. Arum told us he suspected there was something “fishy” going on.

Schaefer’s announcement of the AEG offer appeared to confirm Arum’s suspicion since AEG and Golden Boy Promotions have shared business interests.

When BoxingScene.co, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports contacted Golden Boy Promotions vice president and international matchmaker Eric G mez at 2:00 a.m. on Friday (Manila Time) he said “I have no idea of what’s going on because I have been in Chicago for the last few days attending to the Juan Diaz – Paulie Malignaggi fight and I haven’t had any contact with Richard (Schaefer) with regards to that (Pacquiao vs Mayweather). I know he’s still working on it. I don’t know what happened. I don’t have any information. Just call Richard at the office.”

When we called Schaefer, the operator at Golden Boy got back to us after connecting to Schaefer’s office and said “Richard is not taking any calls from the media regarding the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.”

Koncz called us at 5:00 a.m. to tell us “Manny is not interested in fighting in LA. I’m going to advocate against it also for the simple reason that its going to cost Manny an additional $3-$5 million in taxes to fight in LA. I mentioned to Manny that it looks like Staples Center and he said ‘I don’t want to fight in LA. I prefer Vegas and I didn’t even tell him about the taxes.”

Koncz said he would “give Bob Arum the courtesy of a call and if its true its Schaefer messing around then I’ll probably give Al Haymon a call and make sure he’s on the same page as us. I believe he is because I know Floyd doesn’t want to pay the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) any more than he has to and then its time for us to put our foot down. The promoters work for the fighters, the fighters don’t work for the promoters.”

Koncz added "the bottom line is Manny’s preference is not to fight in California and I haven’t advised him not to do it for tax consequences which is an 11 percent tax plus I haven’t confirmed the amount but there’s an additional special athletic tax for foreigners who take part in sports in California.”

Koncz said he and Pacquiao were leaving for the fighter’s hometown of General Santos City on the early morning flight and would be back to do a voice makeover for his latest movie for Solar Entertainment – ‘Wapakman’ for two days. “

Jul 24, 2005
Chris John Sticking To 126; No Robert Guerrero Fight

By Rick Reeno

Contrary to various published reports, WBA featherweight champion Chris John is not moving up to the super featherweight division to fight Robert Guerrero. BoxingScene.com spoke with John's agent/advisor Sampson Lewkowicz, who denied such reports.

"At one point, we did receive an offer from Golden Boy Promotions but we never answered. Chris John has no problems making the weight [at featherweight] and we see no reason to move up when all of the action is at 126," Lewkowicz said.

The featherweight division is becoming one of the most talent rich weight divisions in the sport. There is simply too much money to be made at 126. Currently Juan Manuel Lopez, Steven Luevano, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Israel Vazquez, Rafael Marquez, Celestino Caballero [soon to be moving up] and several others are at the weight.

Jul 24, 2005
Nate Campbell Settles With King; Golden Boy Deal Close?

By Rick Reeno

Several reliable sources have informed BoxingScene.com that former unified lightweight champion Nate Campbell is close to signing a promotional deal with Golden Boy. I've heard rumblings that a deal has been reached between Golden Boy, Campbell's advisor Terry Trekas and Campbell's former promoter Don King.

Campbell and King have been feuding and negotiating a buyout for the past few months. From what I understand, King will likely receive a six-figure buyout and in return he hands Campbell an early release. The deal between Campbell and Golden Boy could be finalized by next week.

When reached for comment about his fighter signing with Golden Boy, or how the signing would affect next week's purse bid for Campbell vs. Kendall Holt, Trekas refused to disclose any details at the present.

"I don't really want to comment on anything right now. I would assume that [Golden Boy CEO] Richard [Schaefer] will be releasing a statement some time next week," Trekas said.

Jul 24, 2005
Paul Malignaggi: The Gift of Gab That Keeps on Giving

By Ryan Songalia

Some people find Paul Malignaggi's loquaciousness to be "too much", obnoxious even. Others find Malignaggi's oratoricals to be full of charisma and entertaining; the kind of personality-laden spieling that can grab the attention of the casual sports fan. Regardless of your stance, everyone can agree that "The Magic Man" never holds his tongue.

So, when Malignaggi was on the wrong side of a disputable decision this August against former lightweight champ Juan Diaz in the latter's hometown of Houston, TX, it was only to be expected that you'd hear a mouthful from the Brooklynite.

"This state never gives a fair shake to anybody coming to this state to fight hometown fighters," Malignaggi said in the emotional, unrestrained post-fight interview with HBO's Max Kellerman. "This is boxing. Boxing is full of shit, man. I used to love this sport. I cannot stand doing this."

Four months later, Malignaggi is preparing for the rematch he initially doubted would ever happen. He believes this opportunity is due in large part to his refusal to go quietly into the night after the decision.

"I think I started a lot of fireworks with the post-fight interview," the 26-3 (5 KO) former junior welterweight champion tells BoxingScene.com . "Obviously that put some pressure on a lot of people to push for it. It made the fans get my back. I was speaking off of raw emotion after the fight. I didn't rehearse anything. I just went off the top of my head, I was so angry. I'm excited that I got the opportunity because in a lot of situations like these you don't get rematches. It's good to see that sometimes good things happen."

After twelve rounds of action, Compubox numbers showed Malignaggi throwing 286 more punches than the always-busy Diaz in their first encounter. He was given credit for landing just 13 more punches, however. The decision could have gone either way; seven rounds to five either way is understandable. Gale Van Hoy's 118-110 verdict for Diaz was not.

"The people that did think Diaz won the fight say it's because he caught a lot of punches on the gloves, but at what point do we become the amateurs? Just because you have your hands up doesn't mean the punches aren't getting through. He didn't come in the ring looking like he went through a meat grinder but he came out of it looking like he did."

The rematch with the 35-2 (17 KO) Diaz, set for this Saturday night (Dec. 12, HBO, 10:15 ET), will be fought under a vastly different set of circumstances. The first fight took place in Houston's Toyota Center; the rematch will be at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. The ring dimensions were 18x18 last time; this time it's 20x20, giving the more mobile Malignaggi room to operate.

None of the three judges or referee are from New York or Texas.

"I don't need advantages, I just need a neutral set of circumstances. I think I beat him the first time with all the advantages he had and then he needed the gift from the judges on top of that. It would be nice if I had it in New York because I had to go to Houston but Chicago seems like they're receiving me well. We had a lot of good things happen when we went to the press conference. I don't think I can be robbed in Chicago. As long as the right guy wins that's all that counts and in the end the right guy is going to be me."

Besides the neutral environment, the more relaxed weight situation has Malignaggi breathing a little easier. The first time they fought, Malignaggi dried himself out to make 138.5. This time he has an extra half pound to work with.

"When you're that light, you're so dried out that every half pound makes a difference. Getting that half pound back should help me sleep a little bit more the night before. Honestly I could not sleep the night before the weigh in because I was so thirsty. I couldn't even take a sip."

What he perceived to be a stacked deck working against him the last time around wasn't the only preexisting situation Malignaggi had to overcome. Malignaggi claims that a rib injury prevented him from sparring, limiting him in his preparations for the fight.

"I had gotten hurt about six weeks before in my ribs. We had to make up for it with a lot of padwork and lots of bag work. In actuality this camp I'm getting sparring so I feel even better."

Then, on the Wednesday before the first fight, Malignaggi sustained a bad cut over his left eye while working the pads. The cut re-opened at the end of the first round, creating one more obstacle to overcome.

"The padwork I do with my trainer is kinda crazy and I ended up banging into his elbow. I was like, 'Look at this shit, man'. We covered it up enough to not show it at the weigh-in. At the end of the first round it opened up. I knew once I got hit it was going to open up but I always trust in my cutman Danny Milano so it was never an issue."

Though this writer has no prior medical training or experience, it doesn't take an MD to tell when a cut has not healed 100%. The scar above his left eye still looks fresh, not the color of natural skin tone that usually characterizes a properly healed scar.

Regardless of the decision in the first fight, few can dispute that Malignaggi's performance resurrected his stagnating career. Since winning the IBF light welterweight title against Lovemore N'Dou in 2007, Malignaggi had looked increasingly vulnerable against average competition. After being stopped by Ricky Hatton last Fall, Malignaggi switched trainers from the popular Buddy McGirt to little known Sherif Younan of Canarsie, Brooklyn.

"I had just turned 28, I thought 'How is it that I'm shot already?'"

Malignaggi says that a few months in the gym with Younan had brought him back to the basics of what made him Paulie Malignaggi. All he needed was a fight to prove it.

He claims that his uneven performances were due to style clashes with McGirt that detracted from his instinctive style of boxing.

"He tried to change something that wasn't broken. I'm a very natural fighter, I don't do everything by the book. Buddy's main thing is to change your stance to stay low. When you stay low you can't use your legs. Now your punching off the movement is taken away. You're basically robotic. Now all the mistakes I made that I used to get away with I'm now paying for all of them.

"Had I seen all this before I would have obviously changed him after the N'Dou rematch. I looked at the video and saw the more time I spend in camp with this guy I'm getting worse.

"The reason I started going public was because he went back to Vero Beach and told everybody that I was scared, that's what happened in the Hatton fight. Look, I was in the Miguel Cotto fight at the Garden. I was on my ass in round two. I didn't get up and freeze, I got up and fought. Much better fighter, much tougher atmosphere. When everybody's saying Mayweather Sr. made Hatton better, they were looking in the wrong corner. This guy made me worse."

McGirt denies spreading the theory that Malignaggi "was scared" against Hatton.

"Those words never came out of my mouth," says the Florida-based trainer. "Before I say that to anyone else, I'll say it to his face.

"I wish him the best of luck on Saturday. I wish that he becomes champion again. But all in all, to be honest, f--- him. I don't give a f--- what he has to say about me. Listen, he would never fill my shoes as a fighter, he would never fill my shoes as a trainer and he would never fill my shoes as a man. Point blank."

Just like in the first fight, both men are facing condemnation to boxing hell should they fail to emerge victorious. Tough losses to Nate Campbell and Juan Manuel Marquez have pundits wondering aloud if Diaz's ultra-aggressive style has finally taken it's toll on "The Baby Bull".

Many felt Malignaggi was shot before his revitalizing performance against Diaz. A loss would relegate both to popular, high-risk opponent status at the back of the line for a title opportunity.

That desperation hasn't discouraged Malignaggi from thinking about the future. In his perfect world, a win against Diaz would lead to a matchup with Marquez, followed by a Summer rematch with Hatton. None of that talk means a thing if he doesn't conclusively handle business in Chicago.

"You're going to see an even better performance," Malignaggi assures. "It's going to be more one-sided. I'm not going to say don't be surprised if I stopped him but don't be surprised if I stop him.

"Talk is cheap so I can't wait to get in there and show it." -RS

Jul 24, 2005
Donaire vs Guerrero is Finalized For 2/13, Says Arum

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire, the reigning WBA super flyweight interim champion with a record of 22-1 with 14 knockouts will face Gerson Guerrero who has a record of 34-8, with 26 knockouts at the Las Vegas Hilton on February 13.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum informed us on Friday that Donaire “has agreed to be on the card” following earlier indications from Hall-of-Fame matchmaker Bruce Trampler that they were having problems coming to terms.

Donaire had expressed interest in stepping up to fight WBO bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel who declined to fight Filipino Michael Domingo who was nominated as a substitute for Z “The Dream: Gorres whose career ended after undergoing brain surgery following a smashing ten round decision over Luis Melendez last November 13 at the Mandalay Bay House of Blues.

In a conversation with BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports, Donaire who has been in training for some time now at the Undefeated gym in San Carlos, California said he was “feeling pretty good” now that things have been settled and he can concentrate on training.

Donaire who currently weighs 130 pounds said “I will be ready” even as he disclosed they are “still looking for sparring partners” although his training regimen doesn’t revolve around too much sparring.

Donaire told us last week “training has been really good and I’m ready and feel good about it. I’m here for a fight and just waiting for them (Top Rank).” Now that the fight is on the flashy Filipino who trains at the Undefeated gym in San Carlos, California said he was “feeling pretty good” now that things have been settled and he can concentrate on training

Donaire said he’s in good condition and that in his workout on Tuesday (Manila Time) he went eight rounds on the punch mitts, two rounds shadow boxing and two rounds on the heavy bag and I felt really good but I wasn’t really going all out.”.

He said Jonathan Penalosa is expected to join his training camp after the Christmas holidays as he steps up training for the “Pinoy Power III” fight card which will be telecast “live” by the giant broadcast network ABS-CBN following the signing of a two-year deal between the network Chairman and CEO Gabby Lopez and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum last Friday.

During the signing ceremony the visiting promoter who promised to provide Filipino fight fans through ABS-CBN with the best in boxing shows because he said any country that produces a Manny Pacquiao deserves nothing less.

Jul 24, 2005
Tommy Zbikowski Needs Fans' Help in Pro Bowl Voting

n support of Tommy Z, Heavyweight Boxer & Baltimore Ravens Safety & Special Teamer...

The Baltimore Raven's Tommy Zbikowski first turned professional not as a football player, but as a boxer. Zbikowski fought two professional boxing matches while starring for the University of Notre Dame football team. Today, Tommy Zbikowski, who has made a name for himself as a Special Teamer, has been nominated for the NFL Pro Bowl. With fan voting helping decide who is selected for the game, we are encouraging the boxing community to support Tommy by voting for him and voting often. To vote for Tommy, go to www.NFL.com/probowl/ballot Click on Pro Bowl Ballot, then click on Special Teams, then click on Special Teamer. Tommy is listed under AFC.

Tommy made his boxing debut in 2006 at Madison Square Garden, beating his opponent by TKO in 49 seconds. Tommy fought a second match before putting his boxing career on hold to focus on professional football.

Fans can vote as often as they wish between now and Dec. 21, 2009

Thanks for your suppor

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Really good card right here:

Amir Khan vs Victor Ortiz and Alexander vs Maidana

http://espn.go.com/

HBO is working on a March 6 card that it hopes will feature junior welterweight titleholders Devon Alexander and Amir Khan of England defending their belts in separate fights, although it is not a tournament situation in which the winners would fight. HBO hopes to see Alexander face Marcos Maidana, an interim titlist who is Khan's mandatory challenger but would go for Alexander's version of the title. If Victor Ortiz wins his HBO fight Saturday, he could potentially challenge Khan. The details are still being sorted out, but Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's trainer and manager, is anxious to nail things down. "It looks like our fight will be the week before Mayweather-Pacquiao, the biggest fight in boxing [tentatively scheduled for March 13], so it brings even more excitement fighting the week before that fight. It's a great opportunity. We can't wait to sign a contract and go to camp and get the game plan started on whoever we'll be fighting. They throw a name out there, we'll take 'em. It doesn't matter to us."

**NOTE** - Khan KO'd Victor Ortiz in the 2nd round in the amateurs in 2003.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
I have a hard time watching Khan without thinking about Prescott's 1 round destruction of him.
It's starting to fade away for me. I honestly think he's getting better w/freddie roach and plus he spars with Pacquiao on the regular now.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact his old camp would have him spar with some major pussies and wouldn't allow him to get hit. He gets hit all the time against bigger and big time punchers like pacquiao. That's got to help his chin out a bit.

Nov 7, 2005
^^For sure, he's definitely improved and working with Roach will really help his career. It's just that, that KO was one of those memorable one's that's stuck in the back of my head every time I see him fight. It doesn't mean I don't like the guy, it's just one of those KO's that's burned in my brain (i.e. Tszyu-Judah).