Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Luevano: "Juanma and His Team are Underestimating Me"

By Mark Vester

WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (37-1-1, 15 KOs) doesn't plan to go away without a serious fight when he defends his title against undefeated Juan Manuel Lopez on January 23 in New York. The fight will be televised by HBO with Yuriorkis Gamboa defending the WBA's regular featherweight title against Rogers Mtagwa.

Luevano is taking the fight very seriously but he feels Juanma and his team are underestimating him.

"If Juanma Lopez thinks he is going to get the title easily, he will be surprised. I'm not someone who can be mastered easily," Luevano told Primera Hora. "Lopez's people have said that I haven't proven anything yet, but I think they are underestimating me."

He will test Juanma's body out. Luevano has been fighting at the weight for a long time and Juanma is moving up for his 126-pound debut. Luevano has already started training camp.

"I think [the weight] will be a bit of an advantage in the fight. I've been at this weight for twelve years and my body is accustomed to the punches of bigger guys. We'll see how Lopez reacts," said Luevano.

"I'm training. I started the first week of November because Lopez has been a great champion. He is a known and respected fighter and this will give me the exposure that I've been searching for during the last few years."

Jul 24, 2005
De La Hoya Backs David Haye: "The Only WBA Champion"

LOS ANGELES - Despite an issued statement from Don King Productions and various erroneous media reports, Golden Boy Promotions, the United States promoter of World Boxing Association (WBA) Heavyweight World Champion David "The Hayemaker" Haye, has received assurances directly from the WBA that there will be no sanctioning of an interim WBA Heavyweight Championship fight and that Haye will remain the only Heavyweight World Champion recognized by the sanctioning body.

"We have complete confidence that the WBA will keep their word and not sanction an interim Heavyweight World Title bout," said President of Golden Boy Promotions Oscar de la Hoya. "They have assured us that David will remain the ONLY WBA Heavyweight World Champion, a title which he looks forward to proudly defending for the first time in the early part of 2010."

Haye defeated Nikolai Valuev on November 7 to win the WBA Heavywe

Jul 24, 2005
Klitschko vs Johnson on HBO

has been announced that HBO's World Championship Boxing will televise the upcoming bout between Star Boxing's undefeated heavyweight contender, Kevin "Kingpin" Johnson (22-0-1, 9KO) and Vitali Klitschko (38-2, 37KO) for the WBC Heavyweight Championship of the World on December 12th. In addition to Johnson vs. Klitschko, which will take place at the PostFinance Arena in Bern, Switzerland, HBO will also be airing Victor Ortiz vs. Antonio Diaz and the rematch between Juan Diaz and Paulie Malignaggi from the UIC Pavilion in Chicago on HBO's Boxing After Dark. The special duel site, triple header, will kick off at 10:15 PM with Oritz vs. Diaz, followed by Diaz vs. Malignaggi II. Immediately following Diaz vs. Malignaggi, HBO will air the WBC Title fight from Switzerland, tape delayed..

"I couldn't be more happy or excited that HBO has decided to air my upcoming fight against Vitali Klitschko," stated Johnson. "Now all of my fans here in the U.S. will have the opportunity to witness me becoming Heavyweight Champion. I want to thank HBO for this opportunity, and remind everyone to tune in On December 12th, to witness the Kingpin become THE NEW WBC Heavyweight Champion of the World."

The Kevin Johnson vs. Vitali Klitschko fight for the WBC Heavyweight Championship of the World is promoted by Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing and K2 Promotions.

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview: Librado Andrade Talks About His Upcoming Rematch With Lucian But

by James Slater - Teak-tough Mexican warrior Librado Andrade came within a whisker of grabbing the IBF super-middleweight title in October of last year, when he knocked down defending champion Lucian Bute in the dying seconds of the 12th and final round in Montreal, Canada. The fight was instantly thrown into controversy when referee Marlon Wright, upon administering a count to an exhausted Bute, broke the count to warn the challenger for moving too far out of a neutral corner. Bute survived the round, as the bell rang a second or so after the eight-count was finally completed , and the barely-upright champion kept his title via unanimous decision.

Now, this Saturday evening, in Quebec City, Canada, the awaited rematch takes place.

Feeling he will finish what he began in the final seconds of the initial meeting with the unbeaten Bute, 31-year-old Andrade, 28-2(21) has been enjoying a great training camp under coach Howard Grant.

Now based in Canada of course, as is Romanian Bute, Andrade began our talk by telling me how enjoyable the camp he has had in preparation for the 29-year-old southpaw has been..

Here is what Librado had to say in the interview:

"Training has been very nice, everything has been good," Librado said in his Mexican accent.

"We have had a very happy camp. The guys I've been sparring with have been great also. The main guy I've sparred with is a guy called Alexander Johnson (a southpaw light-heavyweight.) He's 8-0, from DC (actually Maryland), and he's very competitive, he really wants to compete - he says he wants to be in the top-two in the division (laughs). I've also been sparring with Craig McEwan, from Scotland (also a southpaw). He moves a lot. We don't go real hard in sparring, we kind of go through the motions, practicing different things."

Andrade fell badly behind on points in the first fight with Bute, and had to go for it late in the bout. Though he came close, the 31-year-old didn't get the late stoppage. The easygoing and really quite humble-sounding tough guy who has been in so many exciting fights says he will start much faster this time round.

"That's the plan, to start much faster this time," Andrade confirmed.

"But I know Bute will be prepared, and I have a feeling he will try to outbox me this time, that he may run and not stand with me. We are working very hard on how to deal with that if that's the case. I will break him down little by little and this time I will not let the opportunity [of getting a KO] go by."

Librado's trainer, Howard Grant, was incensed at the actions of referee Wright, so much so that he was unable to restrain himself from shoving the third man in the ring - an action that saw him subsequently suspended from being a corner-man for a time. But was Andrade angry over what transpired?

"No, I wasn't angry. I just kept thinking, 'just let the fight go two or three more seconds!' I was confused at the time, and I couldn't understand what the referee was doing. It all happened so fast. I wasn't angry, but I kept thinking, 'why don't you just stop the fight?' Later, it all became clear; how the referee was just in no hurry, how he was looking at everyone except Bute. He wasn't looking at Bute's condition at all, even though he was out of it and in such bad shape.

"After the fight, when I watched it, I just wanted to get right back in the gym and learn more. I know that, when I came so close to winning the last fight, I will win this time. I know Bute now, and I have a lot of confidence going into the rematch."

Obviously, a major talking point over the return fight is who the appointed referee will be this time. Librado says he has no clue who it will be, but that he is relatively unconcerned.

"I have no idea [who the referee will be], but I have confidence in my manager and in my promoter, Golden Boy, that they will see to it that everything is fair - that they will pick a neutral referee. But whoever the referee is, and whatever the result of the fight is - as long as it's the fair result. That's all that matters."

It goes without saying that the Mexican banger wants a KO in the fight. Librado wants to leave no room for argument this time.

"That's right. I want a KO, and that way I will leave no doubt. I will end the fight the way I was supposed to end the first fight. But I've put that [the first fight] behind me now. I have a brand new opportunity now, and I will not let it slip away. Bute is a great boxer. I know he can outbox me. But I will get to him. I will hurt him and I will stop him."

I asked Librado, who has been in with the WBA 168-pound champion Mikkel Kessler, in what was another memorable fight, how the Dane compares with the Romanian-born IBF champion.

"Kessler is far better, a lot better. Technically, mechanically, everything. Bute is just an awkward boxer. Bute is a very different fighter to Kessler altogether. He's not as exciting as Kessler, and he doesn't fight as hard. I would put Kessler at the very top of the 168-pound division right now." (note, this interview took place the day before Kessler's upset loss to Andre Ward)

Andrade last fought in April of this year, and in his first fight back after the Bute disappointment he met another southpaw in Ukraine's Vitali Tsypko. Dishing out a quite fearful beating, the 31-year-old who has never been stopped looked excellent. Librado tells me he felt good, too.

"I was a lot more relaxed going into the Tsypko fight [compared to going into the Bute fight]. I know I am improving with each fight, and I knew Tsypko could take a good shot and throw back, and that was a concern for a short while. I was kind of surprised how well I dealt with him - I knocked him down twice. He fought on the inside, whereas Bute will not fight on the inside - he boxes and uses distance. The Tsypko win made me feel even more confident as a fighter."

As badly as Andrade hurt Bute last October, does he feel the IBF champ will run and look to win in a negative fashion on November 28th?

"Yes, I think that's what Bute's plan will be this time - to back-pedal and look to survive. Well, not survive, but to outbox me and not mix it with me. But of course, I am ready for a fight all the time! If he has the cojones to have a fight with me I will be very happy (laughs)."

For every fighter, the realisation of fulfilling the dream of becoming a world champion means everything, and Librado is no different. However, he says he has two other factors that are driving him to succeed in the Bute return.

"For me, the main concentration is on becoming the first [super-middleweight] world champion from Mexico. That will mean so much to me and to Mexico. But the revenge thing is also something that is in my mind - with me clearing up the whole controversy over the first fight. There is a lot of good energy for me going into this fight. A lot of happy energy!"

Jul 24, 2005
Bute vs. Andrade II is a KO at The Box Office

By T.K. Stewart

On Saturday night in Quebec City, Lucian Bute and Librado Andrade will meet again for Bute’s IBF super middleweight title belt. It’s a rematch of a thrilling fight from Oct. 2008 when, well ahead on the scorecards, Bute was nearly knocked out in the dwindling seconds of the twelfth and final round.

Lost in the ballyhoo of Manny Pacquiao’s dominant victory over Miguel Cotto and the recent talk of Showtime’s Super Six World Boxing Classic super middleweight tournament, is the fact that Bute vs. Andrade II has the set the box office on fire in a chilly Canada.

"The tickets sold out in less than one hour of going on sale," said Golden Boy CEO, Richard Schaefer on Tuesday afternoon.

When asked what a sell-out meant and how many people the Pepsi Colisee holds for boxing, "16,000" was Schaefer’s one word answer.

It’s a shocking number considering that more tickets have been sold for this fight than were sold for recent pay-per-view events that featured Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

The number of tickets purchased by Bute’s loyal fans speaks to his amazing popularity in the province of Quebec. While boxing has nearly drowned in the mainstream in the United States – it is alive and thriving in other parts of the globe. It proves, even in a far outpost such as Quebec City, which is located on the often frozen shores of the St. Lawrence River, that if a fighter is developed into a regional attraction before being taken nationwide or worldwide it can result in a lucrative payback.

Bute is a solid as ice superstar in Quebec. His first fight with Andrade also sold in the vicinity of 16,000 tickets and he has filled Montreal's Bell Centre on other occasions..
"It shows you how big Lucian Bute is in Canada," said Schaefer. "It shows you he is one of those fighters that can pack a house."

Andrade is also somewhat of a favorite in the Great White North. It will be his fourth appearance in Quebec and for this fight he trained in Montreal with trainer Howard Grant who is based in the city.

"Andrade spends a lot of time in Canada," said Schaefer. "He really considers that his second home. This fight is not going to start with round one, it’s going to be round thirteen."

The fight also represents the first time that HBO will broadcast a fight from Canada on its airwaves. It will be televised on "Boxing after Dark" along with the lightweight title fight between Ali Funeka and Joan Guzman.

Interbox CEO Jean Bedard, who promotes Bute, was positively glowing with all of the positives that are emanating from this fight card.

"We’re very excited about this rematch," he said. "I think that Librado deserved the rematch. The city and fans have been waiting for this for the past year. We’ll have a chance to do it in front of a sell-out crowd of 16,000 people and that will make it extra special."

Jul 24, 2005
Wladimir Klitschko Kicks David Haye To The Curb

By Mark Vester

WBO/IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has kicked WBA champion David Haye to the curb. During a recent Sky Sports interview, Klitschko refused to discuss the possibility of a future unification scrap with Haye. Klitschko is still upset over Haye's withdrawal from their planned June fight. Haye later withdrew from a September clash with older brother WBC champion Vitali Klitschko. Haye claimed a back injury in the Wladimir withdrawal and said the Klitschkos were making unrealistic demands that forced him to withdraw from the fight with Vitali - and then accept the Nikolai Valuev bout.

Klitschko doesn't think Haye can be taken seriously anymore.

"I actually don't want to give you any comments on David Haye because he bailed out twice, from my fight and my brother's fight," Klitschko said. "I'm actually tired of giving comments about David Haye. He's immature, he's not serious enough to take a challenge, and this is it."

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao-Mayweather Meeting Went Well, Vegas Bound?

By Mark Vester

The negotiations for Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. are underway. Top Rank's Bob Arum and Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer [acting for Mayweather] are not providing any details until the deal is done. Arum did reveal to the Las Vegas Review Journal that his Monday meeting with Schaefer went well and they plan to negotiate further during the week. Arum is confident the deal with get done for the tentative date of May 1.

"There's really not much I can say," Arum said. "We had one meeting, it was a good meeting, and we'll talk again over the next few days."

The fight has several venue offers on the table. Dallas and New Orleans are pushing to host in the fight in their large stadiums. Arum told the paper that he prefers to have the fight in Las Vegas but Dallas is a serious option and New Orleans, if they can waive the tax involved, could become another. Vegas' MGM Grand is too small, but Arum says the Thomas and Mack Center, seating over 20,000, is just right. There are still ongoing talks in Las Vegas to build a temporary 30,000 seat outdoor venue.

"A lot of places want to host," Arum said. "But for tax purposes, you have to have it in either Nevada or Texas, where there is no state income tax. That's why we probably couldn't have it in New York or New Jersey. There's talk the governor (Bobby Jindal) might waive the tax for this fight if it went to New Orleans. But he'd have to do that for it to have any chance of happening there."

Jul 24, 2005
Andre Ward Targets Carl Froch, Lucian Bute, Stieglitz

By Mark Vester

WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward is not going to stop with his big title win over Mikkel Kessler. He wants every major title in the super middleweight division. Last Saturday, Ward upset the odds and battered Kessler for an eleven round techincal decision. Ward is involved in Showtime's ongoing Super Six tournament. So is WBC champion Carl Froch. Ward wants a crack at Froch's belt. He also wants a crack at the other two titles, which are held by fighters who are not in the tournament - IBF champion Lucian Bute and WBO champion Robert Stieglitz.

"I've got a newsflash for the rest of the division and for anybody that thinks that I'm letting up. I'm not satisfied with this belt. I want all of the belts. I want the WBC belt, the IBF belt, and -- if the opportunity arises to fight for it -- the WBO belt," Ward told AOL's Fan House."

"There are major belts out there that I'm gunning for. I'm still hungry, man. I'm still chasing. I'm going to enjoy this and relish it. So anybody who is feeling like they're chasing me, well, they need to get ready to run, because I'm still chasing stuff. I've still got a lot of work to do. By no means am I resting on my laurels and what I've done or kicking my feet up. I'm not done yet."

Jul 24, 2005
B.J. Flores - "Marco Huck Is A One-Dimensional Fighter And I'll Never Let A Kick Boxe

by James Slater - Unbeaten 30-year-old Cruiserweight contender B.J Flores was at the very least slightly miffed at some of the comments WBO champion Marco Huck had to say in the recent interview I did with the German-based fighter (see earlier article on the site). Wanting very much to answer Huck back and give him some thoughts of his own, the 24-0-1(15), #2 ranked contender gave me the following interview yesterday evening (UK time).

Making it quite clear there is a potential cruiserweight grudge-fight bubbling under between he and "Kap'n" Huck, Flores is aching for the chance to make the big-punching Serbian warrior pay. Here is what B.J had to say:

James Slater: It's great to speak with you, B.J. First of all regarding Marco Huck, will you be ringside at the Ola Afolabi fight in Germany on December 5th?

B.J Flores: Yes, I definitely plan to be there.

J.S: Huck, as you know, said in the interview with me that he will fight you, but he talked of you "coming over" to fight him. He seems to want the fight in Germany. Would you go there to fight him?

B.J.F: Yes, without a doubt I would go to Germany. But in the interview he talks about how he wants to fight in America. What I would say is this - first of all, Roy Jones has to take care of business against Danny Green (on December 2nd) and I'm sure he will. Then, the plan is for a big, big card to go ahead on March 13th in Las Vegas, to be shown by HBO - Jones-Hopkins II. If Huck wants the opportunity to fight a big name American fighter in the U.S, then why not fight me on March 13th, on that card?

J.S: You are definitely fighting on that card, assuming it goes ahead, with both Jones and Bernard Hopkins winning their next fights?

BJ FloresB.J.F: For sure, I will be fighting on that bill. I may also be having a tune-up on ESPN on January 8th in Vegas. I've been in the gym and I want the fight with Huck. There's no way I will ever lose to a kick-boxer, I guarantee that! I'll never lose to a fighter as one-dimensional as Huck. For him to say "B.J who?," that's disrespectful. Who has he ever fought? Everyone wanted to get a fight with Victor Ramirez (who Huck beat to win the WBO belt), the only reason Huck is champion now is because he got the shot at Ramirez and I didn't. You know how boxing works, it's a business. I would definitely have beaten Ramirez, but Huck got the fight because his team paid more money for the fight.

J.S: How do you see the Huck-Afolabi fight going? Huck says he sees nothing special in Afolabi.

B.J.F: He should be concentrating on the Afolabi fight. I see Afolabi giving Huck all he can handle - he could become the second U.S fighter to beat him. He'll find out what is so special about Afolabi when he gets in the ring with him. Afolabi's a very good fighter. Having said that, there is a chance Huck could outwork him and win a decision. But I tell you, there's no way Huck would ever beat me, there's now way he would ever outwork me!

J.S: It's clear you want the Huck fight, but I take it you'd also fight Afolabi?

B.J.F: Of course, but it's Huck I'd prefer. He says "B.J who?," yet who was he before he beat Ramirez? He hasn't beaten anyone of real note. I haven't either, but I have a far bigger name on my record in Darnel Wilson. The thing is, Huck is being disrespectful to guys who show him respect and are respectful to him.

J.S: This has the makings of a cruiserweight grudge match! I want to see it already. You want Huck to win on December 5th? That'd be your preferred choice?

B.J.F: I do want Huck to win (laughs). I mean, if Afolabi won, it would be no problem making that fight with me in America. But there's just a chemistry between me and Huck. I'm for real and I would take away everything he has if the fight comes off. "B.J who?" - he knows who I am and he'll find out firsthand in the ring if he agrees to fight me. I'm the guy who was rated above him when he got the title shot. He knows he has to prove the loss to Steve Cunningham was a fluke, but can he do that? Will he fight in America and try to beat another U.S fighter? If he does want it on March 13th, there's no problem. That would be his big chance.

J.S: Where you impressed with Huck's win over Ramirez? He looked calmer and he boxed more patiently I thought.

B.J.F: Well, I impressed was for him. I mean, he beat a guy that anyone at world level should beat. Ramirez is a guy with one speed and Huck changed his style a little bit and won the decision. But he will have a much tougher fight against Afolabi. No doubt. Huck is still a one-dimensional fighter.

BJ Flores

J.S: The fans like you, B.J, and they know you are a good fighter. The thing is, they want to see HOW good. They want to see you get a world title fight.

B.J.F: I totally agree! I want to see too. That's why I'm calling out this guy and making it public that I want to fight Huck. I think this fight has a great story to it, it has all the ingredients to capture the interest of the fans. I have to say also, a big up to Roy Jones, my promoter and to say thanks to all my team - Square Ring, Al, Jacob, Jenny and Megan, they're all doing a great job with me. Once Jones takes care of business against Green, then we can look to the March 13th bill.

J.S: And you think Jones will beat Green okay?

B.J.F: I do, for sure. I see him stopping Green in around seven or eight rounds. I think Green was hurt twice in the [Julio Cesar] Dominguez fight.

J.S: Well, it's been great speaking with you, B.J. I hope the fight with Huck comes off. I hate to say it, but I actually think Afolabi might beat him though - on points or by late stoppage. But I want to see you get it on with Huck now - you've sold the fight to me!

B.J.F: (laughs) Yeah, as I say, I think it would be a great fight for the cruiserweight division. I will be there in Germany on December 5th, and I want Huck to look me in the eye and say "B.J who?" I'm going to make my presence felt, being right up in his face. I'm a big name - ESPN have just renewed my contract, so I'll be doing more commentating work and I will make sure to speak about Huck as often as I can - and if we can make this fight it will be a great addition to the March 13th card. I'll definitely beat Marco Huck; if he gets past Afolabi.

Jul 24, 2005
Carlos Baldomir Returns To Action, Scores 4th-Round TKO Over Jairo Siris

by James Slater - Though the fight was given no notable publicity (not any that I read anyway, I didn't even know the fight was on), last night in his native Argentina, former world welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir returned to action , having his first fight since last December. Now aged 38, the fighter known as "Tata" stopped little-known Colombian Jairo Jesus Siris in the 4th-round.

Scoring what was his first win in over two years, the man who holds wins over Zab Judah, Joshua Clottey and the late Arturo Gatti weighed-in a quarter of a pound under the middleweight limit.. Now 45-12-6(14), the former champion may well move on to another big fight or two before he's through. Still reliably-chinned and full of heart, Baldomir has had his name previously mentioned as a possible comeback opponent for the soon-to-return Antonio Margarito. Is this the reason Baldomir got himself a tune-up bout last night?

It's likely Baldomir can still make 154-pounds, and as much as many fans want nothing further to do with the man who has been dubbed "Margacheato," a fight between the Mexican hard man and the equally tough (maybe even tougher) Argentine would attract a lot of attention. It will be interesting to see if this mooted fight does indeed go ahead (for what it's worth, I think it will, what with Margarito's suspension being over in January).

If the Margarito fight doesn't get made, though, Baldomir has surely come back so as to fight somebody of note. Still ambitious, the 38-year-old who has only been stopped one time (by Paulo Sanchez way back in 1994) remains a well known name and he usually provides good action fights. And with today's light-middleweight division pretty much wide open, who knows; maybe there could be another crack at a major 154-pound title out there for Baldomir somewhere.

Or maybe the teak-tough warrior from Carlos Monzon country will choose to campaign as a middleweight from here on in. One thing looks certain going by last night's weight; Baldomir's welterweight days have gone for good.

And while last night's TKO victory over 40-year-old Siris was nothing special, it was an okay win for the former champion. Siris, 19-14-1(18) going in, is not exactly a patsy, and there was a time when he was something of a prospect - even managing to get a win over future IBF super-middleweight champion Alejandro Berrio (KO5 back in 1998). Also during his very up-and-down career, Siris has been in with names like Rafael Pineda and Alfonso Mosquera. The win over Berrio remains the only notable victory on the Colombian's record, however.

Coming back against an active puncher (18 of Siris' 19 wins coming by stoppage) and taking him out quickly, old warhorse Baldomir showed he just might have a bit of fight left in him even today.

Jul 24, 2005
Thanksgiving in Camp for Williams and Martinez / Demetrius Andrade Gives Back To Comm

Thanksgiving report from Paul Williams’ training camp in Arlington, VA. - "Thanksgiving is the same ole', same ole' for me. I trained on Thanksgiving Day, so it's just another day. The only difference is that we (trainer George Peterson and I) shared a meal with George Peterson’s family members. The best part is Thanksgiving was enjoyable for me because I ate all the turkey and fixings that I liked. My workout regiment burns everything I eat right through so I am can have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.."

"Of course I miss my family and would have loved to spend this Holiday with them but this is all business right now and I understand that. One thing that makes me feel even better about this is that we (Paul's family) will be spending Christmas together."

Thanksgiving report from Sergio Martinez’ training camp, Port Hueneme, CA
“Traditionally, I don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but I will this year with my team. I am very excited about it because turkey is my favorite. I trained in the morning, rested in the afternoon and had dinner with my team last night.

ANDRADE GIVES BACK TO COMMUNITY

Last week, Providence, Rhode Island's favorite son, 2007 Amateur World Champion and 2008 U.S. Olympian, Demetrius Andrade (8-0, 6KO) (who is co-promoted by Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing and Banner Promotions) held his inaugural "Knock Out Hunger" turkey drive at the West End Community Center in downtown Providence. The event was a huge success, feeding hundreds of less fortunate families throughout the Providence area. Below are some photo's taken from the event.

Jul 24, 2005
Tomasz Adamek To Face Hasim Rahman In February?

by James Slater - As has been reported previously, IBF cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek's next fight will take place at heavyweight. Successful in his heavyweight debut when he stopped fellow Pole Andrew Golota back in October, "Goral" is, for the time being at least, campaigning as a heavyweight. Set to fight next on February 6th, in his adopted home town of Newark, New Jersey, Adamek is currently searching for an opponent.

However, according to Boxing News Magazine's "whispers" section, there is a possibility the 32-year-old with the iron chin will face former heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman in his second fight at the new weight.. An interesting fight, even though "Rock" has clearly seen better days, Adamek-Rahman could give us more answers to the question: is Adamek good enough to make it in the sport's ultimate weight division?

37-year-old Rahman, currently 45-7-2(36), was originally down on BoxRec as taking a fight against a TBA in early December, but that scheduled bout has now been removed from the web site, so maybe Rahman will indeed be fighting Adamek next year. Last seen being stopped by Ring magazine, IBF and WBO heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko, when he was stopped in the 7th-round in Germany last December, Rahman looked all done and headed for probable retirement. This may still be the case, but nobody should be shocked if the man who once KO'd Lennox Lewis has another fight or two instead.

But what sort of a fight could Rahman give teak-tough warrior Adamek? Always dangerous with his power punches, particularly his right hand, Rahman could possibly further test Adamek's chin. We know the Polish tough guy can take any cruiserweight's punch, but at heavyweight his chin still has something of a question mark next to it. If he was tagged cleanly by Rahman and didn't go anywhere, Adamek would have proved a point.

And if Adamek, 39-1(27) can stop Rahman - a fighter who, despite his failings, has only been stopped by good men, David Tua, Lewis, Oleg Maskaev (twice) and Klitschko - he will have score an impressive win. A decent fight, if not a great one, Adamek-Rahman makes sense. It's still early days at heavyweight for Adamek, and he's not obligated to take on anyone TOO dangerous at this point. Look how long it took David Haye to sign for a potentially disastrous fight at heavyweight after he'd moved up from 200-pounds.

And Rahman is at or around the same level as Mote Barrett was when Haye faced his first test at the new weight last year. A KO win over Rahman would be a good step for Adamek, a step towards the big fights he wants. One of which, of course, is a clash with new WBA heavyweight ruler Haye.

February 6th's bout will be a most interesting one to watch.

Jul 24, 2005
Can Andrade Beat Bute This Time?

by James Slater, photo by Tom Casino - Mexican hard man Librado Andrade has made it quite clear he will start his second fight with IBF super-middleweight ruler Lucian Bute much faster than he started the first fight back in October of last year. Everyone knows what happened in that controversial final round last year, and Andrade now has a second chance to stop the unbeaten fighter he almost stopped over 14 months ago.

The questions is, will Saturday's intriguing rematch go the way Andrade wants it to, or will the superior boxing skills of Bute once again see him to victory?

Bute, 24-0(19) was miles ahead on points going into the final round of last year's fight, but the stubbornness of the iron-chinned Andrade and his refusal to get discouraged saw him almost pull off a sensational last-round stoppage victory. Some experts felt the hammering Bute took in that 12th round would have a lasting effect on him, perhaps even shortening his career. But "Le Tombeur" looked great in his next fight, when he TKO'd the useful Fulgencio Zuniga inside just four-rounds - in a fight that took place less than five months after the hard night with Andrade..

A bigger puncher than he perhaps looks, the 29-year-old surely regained a lot of the confidence he lost because of the near loss to Andrade as a result of the fine showing he put on against the Colombian. But will Bute fight a negative fight against Andrade on Saturday?

Knowing firsthand how relentless and strong his 31-year-old rival is, Bute will surprise nobody if he opts to box a smart fight, where he refuses to get involved in any close quarters warfare at all. Then again, Bute did outbox Andrade, 28-2(21) over the majority of rounds in fight-one, yet he still got tired and was dragged into survival mode in the 12th-round. The way he comes right at an opponent and makes him work hard every second of the way, Andrade will simply not allow Bute to dance his way to an easy points victory.

At some point - early on if Andrade has his way - the challenger will get to the champion and hurt him. What will happen and how will Bute react when this happens? Will he run or will he stand and fight? If he chooses the latter, he will give Andrade his best chance of winning. And if Bute runs, will the judges award him the points he needs so as to keep his belt?

I see Andrade getting to Bute by the halfway stage of the fight and hitting and hurting him enough to discourage the champion, and making him have flashbacks of that awful 12th-round in the first fight. Hurt like never before in his career, Bute knows he was "gone," and that he was very lucky not to have been KO'd.

This time, though Andrade will once again be behind on points at the time, Bute will get stopped. I go for Andrade by 9th or 10th-round TKO.

Jul 24, 2005
Kevin Johnson: “I can stand outside and box the hell out of Klitschko!”

by Geoffrey Ciani - This week’s forty-ninth edition of On the Ropes featured exclusive interviews with Oleg Maskaev, Kevin Johnson, and Holly Holm. Highlighting this episode was the very interesting interview with former WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev. Maskaev is slated to take on Nagy Aguilera on December 11. If he wins this fight, he is then scheduled to face Ray Austin in a WBC title eliminator. Here are some excerpts from the interview:

On his upcoming fight December 11:
“It’s going to be a good fight for me because I know the guy has a great amateur background, so I’m training hard getting ready for this fight. I’m looking for a good fight and I’m ready to win.”

On the possibility of fighting Ray Austin in a title eliminator:
“The main goal I’m looking to fight Vitali Klitschko for the WBC championship. So first I’m going to win this fight and then I’m going to fight Ray Austin..”

On his victory against Vitali Klitschko in the amateurs:
“That was the army tournament back in 1991 when we were in the Russian army together. I stopped him in the first round, I hurt him three times and his trainer threw the towel in the middle of the ring and stopped the fight. Vitali doesn’t want to admit that. He says everything differently, but I know I hurt him and I won that fight and I want to fight him again in the professionals and prove that I can beat him.”

On losing against Kirk Johnson:
“I hurt him in the first round and then all of a sudden my manager came to the corner and said, “Oleg, you got to finish him, he’s ready to go”. And I lost my head, was overconfident, and I just missed the punch and that’s it, I was out. That was the biggest upset fight for me in my life.”

On winning the WBC championship in his rematch with Hasim Rahman:
“I was very happy that I beat that guy again, because I knew Hasim Rahman was in the best shape in 2006 and was ready to get even with me.”

On his experiences boxing with the Russian Army:
“In the Russian Army I was the best for about four years.”

On losing his championship to Sam Peter:
“When I fought Samuel Peter, Oleg Maskaev was injured. My back and behind my elbow, but right now I’m feeling good.”

On fighting former champion Oliver McCall in his seventh pro fight:
“I was a green young fighter who signed a contract with people who were not the right people. They were not right for me, they were just looking to make a quick couple of bucks.”

Next up we were afforded the opportunity to have a nice chat with heavyweight contender Kevin Johnson. Here are some excerpts from this portion of the show:

On training and preparations for his upcoming fight with Vitali Klitschko:
“Things couldn’t be any better. Perfect. Wonderful.”

On whether or not he feels he is ready for challenging Klitschko:
“Oh yeah, 100%.”

On fighting outside of the United States for the first time in his professional career:
“It’s making me work harder so I could go over there and clarify this win.”

On being able to get inside on someone as big as Vitali:
“Well that’s the thing about this fight. I don’t have to worry about getting inside for this fight right here, because I don’t have to go to him. I have the reach advantage. I can stand outside and box the hell out of him all day.”

On having a back-up plan in a fight:
“Plan B, C, D, E, F, and G—you’re always supposed to have fifteen backup plans just in case one don’t work, you need another and another and another.”

On implementing his game plan against Klitschko:
“There’s several things I can do to beat the guy. You can’t really say what you’re going to do until you step into the ring and hear that bell ring.”

On what he believes is the key to beating Vitali Klitschko on December 12:
“Not getting hit.”

On his lack of amateur experience:
“If you know me and you do your research on me, you would know I have the best amateur background that anyone else would dream to have.”

Regarding Manny Pacquiao’s impressive run:
“I love the guy, I love watching him. I know he’s always going to give me something. If I could meet the guy I would just like to ask him where does he sleep, in an oxygen chamber? The guy is energetic. I’ve never seen anybody as energetic as this guy.”

Finally we had the chance to speak with the Holly Holm who is widely regarded as the pound for pound best female fighter in boxing. Here are some excerpts from the Holly:

On preparations for her upcoming fight with Melissa Hernandez:
“It’s been going great. I’ve been putting a lot of hard work in.”

On being regarded as the best pound for female fighter in the world”
“I don’t really put too much mind in it. I mean, I want to live up to those claims if they do put them out there, but really I just like to win each fight. I don’t put too much emphasis on the names or the labels or titles. I just want to perform my best.”

On her activity level:
“I can only sit around so long and I get bored and I think, well what’s next? Let’s get something going. A fight career doesn’t last that long. It’s not like a career in engineering, or anything. It has its course and it’s over. So I want to make sure I can live my career to the fullest.”

On why fans should watch female boxing:
“Well most people that do watch women’s boxing wind up saying, ‘Man that’s way better than any guy fight I’ve ever seen’. I think people just need to give it a chance.”

About her only professional career loss:
“I was winning the fight on the scorecards. In the first round I got elbowed and it got really swollen and it wound up getting busted open in the fourth round, but I still feel like could have fought better not to let her get that in. I would have loved to have a rematch with her, but she hasn’t been that active. I think it was something that I learned from.”

On how she got into boxing:
“I started with kickboxing aerobics and did it to keep in shape for soccer season. It just seemed so interesting that I just wanted to try it one time, and when I tried it, I was addicted instantly.”

Regarding who is her favorite fighter to watch:
“I don’t think anyone could complain with wanting to watch Manny Pacquiao right now. That guy just keeps getting better. He’s just so quick and so crafty.”

More on Manny Pacquiao:
“It doesn’t matter if he fights at a heavier weight or a lighter weight, he just keeps cruising and I really enjoy watching him fight.”

On the potential showdown between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Junior:
“If anybody can beat Mayweather, it’s going to be Pacquiao. He just seems to adjust to his opponents and I think he puts the hard work in to be able to do that.”

If you missed last week’s special edition of On the Ropes, be sure to tune in and listen now!

Jul 24, 2005
Bernard Hopkins Has David Haye's Title on His Radar

By Mark Vester

Bernard Hopkins, turning 45-years-old in January, has a three fight plan before he retires for good. The first is the December 2 tuneup bout against Enrique Ornelas. The second is a rematch with Roy Jones Jr. on March 13 in Las Vegas [provided Jones beats Danny Green on 12/2], and the third is a jump to the heavyweight division to face WBA champion David Haye.

Last week, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer made it know that Hopkins requested a fight with Haye in 2010. Both Hopkins and Haye are under the Golden Boy banner and that makes the negotiations easier. During a recent interview, Hopkins appeared confident that he can beat Ornelas, Jones - and Haye.

“I will win and will beat Roy Jones Jr., and I will become heavyweight champion in 2010," Hopkins told the New York Post. “But if I want to plan out my three-fight hit list, I have to take care of this fight like he’s Roy Jones. If I don’t, everything is blown up if I don’t win Dec. 2.”

Haye, a former cruiserweight champion, made a full-time move to heavyweight last year. He is recovering from a hand injury that was suffered during his title win over Nikolai Valuev. Haye must defend against mandatory John Ruiz upon his return. Even though Haye is far smaller than either of the Klitschko brothers, he is still a lot bigger and stronger than Hopkins. Age may come into play but Hopkins told the NY Post that he doesn't think it will.

“I don’t even look at 45 as something I should worry about,” Hopkins said. “I’ve got some kinks here and there, but I will always be ahead of the average guy that is 45 and going to work every day. I know people are trying to figure out when I’m going to look like I’m 45. But I’m the modern day Archie Moore. I’m that throwback Philadelphia fighter that didn’t let the streets destroy me.”

Jul 24, 2005
Ricky Hatton Should Avoid Marquez Bout, Says McGuigan

By Mark Vester

In the opinion of retired boxing great Barry McGuigan, Ricky Hatton should avoid a possible clash with Juan Manuel Marquez in 2010. He says Hatton should stay away from the ring and avoid taking any further punishment. He doesn't think Hatton has anything more to prove and his legacy is already set in stone as far as his career accomplishments.

"Hatton has nothing to prove. He enjoyed a fine career as one of the most successful British boxers of all time. He does not need the money or the adulation. What is one more win after that victory over Kostya Tszyu? In the fullness of time that is the kind of performance for which he will be remembered," McGuigan said in his Mirror column.

"If he were to beat Juan Manuel Marquez it would not make the defeats to Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao any less withering. And who is to say he will put away Marquez at 140lb? We shouldn't forget that Marquez almost beat Pacquiao, took him to the wire in two barnburners at featherweight and superfeather."

McGuigan doesn't think Hatton's body can stand the tough training camp that he usually puts himself through. Hatton's weight bumps are well known. Between fights the Manchester fighter can blow up to 180-pounds or more and then spends most of his training camp getting back down to 140-pounds.

"I would imagine Hatton spars more than 100 rounds in preparation for a title fight. That takes its toll. It eats away at your resilience. Two years ago, before he fought Mayweather, I argued in this column that Hatton's career had a maximum of 18 months to run. Pretty Boy Floyd and the Pacman underlined the point in Technicolor. The world has moved on, Ricky. It is time for you to do the same with pride," McGuigan said.

Jul 24, 2005
Flyweight Dominance: Within Reach For Kameda Brothers

By Jake Donovan

The plan was to add yet another story line to the forthcoming lineal flyweight title fight between incumbent champion Daisuke Naito and undefeated challenger Koki Kameda.

All younger brother Daiki Kameda had to do was get past 13-year veteran Denkaosan Kaovichit last month, and Sunday’s main event at the Super Arena in Saitama, Japan would’ve determined whether or not Koki could join his brother in simultaneous flyweight title reigns.

As luck would have it, the opportunity still exists. It’s now just in a different order.

Daiki’s narrow points loss has him for the moment on the outside looking in at the flyweight title picture. He’ll undoubtedly serve as an interested observer on Sunday, when older brother Koki attempts to put an end to Naito’s title reign, now 28 months and seven fights deep.

Come 2010, the middle Kameda brother will have another crack at entering the flyweight fray, thanks to an ordered rematch by the sanctioning body that claims Kaovichit as its champ.

News came down from last week’s convention in Colombia that a proposed title defense against ex-champion Takefumi Sakata would have to wait. Kaovichit beat Sakata last December to claim championship status after having held him to a draw a year prior, and was angling for a third fight sometime in 2010.

The Thai veteran instead gets a rematch of a different kind, after it was decided that Sakata’s subsequent fights beyond the flyweight division didn’t qualify him to jump the line, allowing Daiki Kameda a third opportunity to realize his dream of becoming a champion.

Sunday will determine if even more will be at stake for his proposed rematch with Kaovichit.

Koki Kameda (21-0, 14KO) is a slight favorite to leave the Super Arena a two-time champion, though this weekend is about far more than winning a title.

Four months after Naito (35-2-3, 22KO) bumped off longtime flyweight king Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, came a first defense against Daiki Kameda. The bout would go down as one of the dirtiest in flyweight title history, with Naito doing everything in his power to defend the crown, while Daiki was urged by his father and then-trainer Shiro to win at all costs.

Naito would of course emerge victorious, while Daiki would not only suffer his first defeat, but also receive a one-year suspension for his blatant unsportsmanlike conduct. Several apologies were issued by the Kameda family to Naito, including a visit to his home by Daiki himself.

All appears to be forgiven since then, although the 35-year old world champion is celebrated now more than at any other point in his career. Four more successful defenses have followed, including a split decision draw in a fourth fight with Wonjongkam in 2008.

His most recent title defense, an off-the-canvas decision win over Xiong Zhao Zhang, further fueled speculation that Naito’s best days are behind him and that he could be ripe for the picking should the right contender come along.

From a ratings standpoint, there’s certainly no better choice than Koki, who once boasted the largest singular audience of any active prize fighter, though no longer the gargantuan draw he was when first making headlines throughout the sport.

An estimated audience of 50 million tuned in for his junior flyweight alphabet title split decision win over Juan Jose Landaeta in August 2006, though there was major dispute over whether or not Kameda deserved to win. He was a much clearer victor in their rematch four months later, which drew another 30 million viewers.

The pair of wins over Landaeta serves as Kameda’s lone title fights to date, having vacated his belt following the aforementioned rematch. Eight wins at or near the flyweight limit have followed, though mostly against the Willy Standup variety.

If Naito is ripe for the picking, Kameda hasn’t done much to prepare for the harvest.

Nevertheless, the 23-year old phenomenon remains a slight yet solid favorite to end his countryman’s reign on Sunday, thus restoring a semblance of honor in the Kameda name.

A win would go a long way towards heightening anticipation for Daiki’s eventual rematch with Kaovichit, not to mention set the table for what could potentially serve as a huge 2010 for the Kameda family.

Waiting in the wings of this weekend’s showdown is former flyweight king Wonjongkam, who has picked up an interim version of the alphabet belt at stake in addition to Naito’s lineal crown. A fifth fight with Naito might be a decent sell solely on the basis of it being such a rare occurrence in this day and age.

But a fight with Koki Kameda would be a hell of a lot more intriguing, yet another crossroads match at the highest level of the flyweight division.

Another lucrative option will also be awaiting Daiki should he manage to successfully pay homage to the old saying “Third time’s a charm.” Avenging his October loss to Kaovichit wouldn’t just give the middle Kameda brother his first major title, but also line up a big money fight against Sakata, whose best days are perhaps well behind him.

Last month was the original starting point for what was supposed to serve as a flyweight Kameda Wonderland. The boxing gods (and its politicians) have smiled down on Japan’s most famous fighting family, making Sunday afternoon no longer about Koki serving as his brother’s keeper, but the revised first step towards Kameda flyweight domination.

Jul 24, 2005
Inside the Top Ten: The Welterweight Division

By Jake Donovan/Cliff Rold

It’s often referred to as the best division in boxing, which begs a question…

How often is Welterweight not the best division in boxing?

Certainly there are always strong periods elsewhere. For much of this decade, fans were treated to magnificent action around Featherweight and Lightweight. Even Light Heavyweight had a hot streak for a few years.

Year in and year out though, Welterweight is boxing’s oasis. It is the place where the legends of Ryan, Walcott, Robinson, Napoles and Leonard were born. There are yet more legends being forged today. The last time Welterweight was this hot, fans got a sort of round robin featuring the likes of Pernell Whitaker, Oscar De La Hoya, Ike Quartey, and Felix Trinidad.

This time around the horn might turn out even better. It will certainly end up being richer. Where do the key players fall?

Let the discussion begin.

World Welterweight Champion: Vacant

Donovan: Let’s make one thing perfectly clear: even with Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr potentially going down as the most lucrative fight in the history of the sport, the welterweight champion of the world will not be crowned. Though one fight is far more historically significant than the other, the fact of the matter is that Pacquiao-Mayweather (should it get made) and Shane Mosley-Andre Berto (slated for January 30) becomes your Welterweight Final Four. Winner faces winner, and a champion is crowned.

Rold: Final four? I can see that, though until Berto really proves he belongs with the top of the class it’s really a Final three plus one. If Mosley beats Berto, he simply reaffirms what should be obvious: no one can be crowned until he has his say. The historical encyclopedia at Cyber Boxing Zone credits Mosley as capturing the lineage when he defeated Antonio Margarito and there’s a case for it. Had Margarito won, with Paul Williams having all but rhetorically left the class, he would have earned the spot. In a period of vacancy, it’s better to leave it that way until everyone is certain the two very best in class are squaring off.

1. Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO, WBA Super, 0 Defenses)

Last Contest: January 24, 2009, TKO9 Antonio Margarito (37-6, 27 KO)

Next Contest: January 30, 2010 vs. #6 Andre Berto (25-0, 19 KO, WBC, 3 Defenses)

Rold: Staying on theme, what’s happened to Mosley the last year is a damn shame. How can a 38-year old fighter not be able to find someone ready to test the ‘get old in a day’ theory? He’s finally found someone, though not the opponent who should have allowed for the cash out the Margarito win earned him. Those things aside, Mosley even occupying this spot is amazing (and he still deserves it even after Pacquiao-Cotto). A fighter who can climb to the top of a division ten years after the first time he did it, while rising in weight in between, is rare treat. From the first win over Oscar De La Hoya in June 2000 to the Margarito toppling in January 2009, Mosley has been a roller coaster of big wins, bad losses, BALCO, and redemption. It’s a hell of a story.

Donovan: I’ve tried to sympathize with Shane’s cause, but his own stubbornness proved to be his undoing this year. Better late than never, though. Perhaps more criminal than his failure to land a big fight was HBO viewing him as disposable – giving him a date, convincing Golden Boy to push it back three weeks to benefit another fighter, only to snatch the date altogether. At long last comes a fight with Berto that should’ve happened much earlier this year. Hopefully for Mosley’s sake, it’s a start of a memorable 2010, further adding to his improbably career turnaround.

2. Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO, WBO, 0 Defenses)

Last Contest: November 14, 2009, TKO12 #3 Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KO)

Next Contest: TBA

Donovan: As is there wasn’t already enough star power in the welterweight division. A fight with Floyd should keep Pacquiao at this weight for good, although given his diet, he can seemingly drop back to 140 (where he remains for the moment its lineal champion) any time he wants. The question is, what would prompt him to do so, especially in light of the one-sided shellacking he handed Cotto? A third fight with Marquez at this point almost seems anti-climactic, given what Pacquiao has already been able to accomplish at or at least near 147, and the options that lie ahead – particularly the most lucrative fight in boxing history, which many feel will go on to be the case once he and Mayweather sign on the dotted line.

Rold: I agree that Floyd should keep him here…for now. If he wins, he’s staying. If he were to lose that fight in a competitive fashion then, hey, it’s a rematch. A bad loss though could send him back to 140, which wouldn’t be all bad, or retirement, which would be bad for a sport basking in the glow of having two mega-draws at the same time. There has been some case made for having Pacquiao in the top spot. Ring elevated him to number one. However, it seems hasty. The De La Hoya win, circa 2008 Oscar, doesn’t really mean much in terms of the Welterweight division. The Cotto win was magnificent but the top Welterweight should never have to ask for a catch weight inside the division. When he beats a Welterweight who comes in wherever they want below 147, reconsideration can happen. The catch didn’t seem to affect the outcome of the Cotto, but the principle matters.

3. Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KO)

Last Contest: November 14, 2009, TKO by12 #2 Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO)

Rold: There is every reason to think Cotto should have dropped below Mayweather in the ratings. He was stopped badly for the second time in a little over a year. However, the first loss is mired under a cloud of ‘did Margarito juice his gloves.’ There is also the overall body of work. From late-2006 to Pacquiao, Cotto has faced most of the monsters at Welterweight. He’s only one fight removed from a gut check win over the tough Joshua Clottey. He holds a win over the number one guy. The man below him? We’ll get to that.

Donovan: How ironic that both of Cotto’s losses come against opponents who have subsequently been accused of cheating. The Mosley debacle had people retroactively discrediting Margarito’s career-best win over Cotto, assuming that he’s been loading his gloves all along. Now comes the suggestion that Pacquiao’s incredible run has been aided by illegal substance. The question is, does Cotto invest any stock in either rumor (or both), if only to perhaps mentally recover from either loss. Both nights were of the stuff that normally ruins careers. Many wonder where Cotto goes from here; up seems to be the least likely direction.

4. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (40-0, 25 KO)

Last Contest: September 19, 2009, UD12 World Lightweight Champion Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KO)

Donovan: Ah, boxing’s most disrespected superstar. As was the case heading into his 2001 clash with Diego Corrales, Mayweather now has the chance to once again reload the bandwagon. All it will take is signing to a fight with and eventually beating Manny Pacquiao. Quite ironic, considering the chief criticism of Floyd’s recent career – in addition to his never pursuing the biggest challenges – is that he hasn’t fought a true welterweight in three years. But making the one fight that nearly every boxing fan most wants to see will go a long way towards forgiveness, even if he’s once again (and perhaps forever) stuck in the roll of villain.

Rold: Mayweather is a villain only in the Ric Flair sense. Back in the 1980s, pro wrestling fans booed Flair with a wink. The man they love to hate is secretly the one everyone really wants to love…if not be. Like most villains, Mayweather is likely to receive lots of applause when his hair turns gray. In the meantime, beating a credible Welterweight is the concern. He left the game on a high note with a 2007 win over Jr. Welterweight champion Ricky Hatton. He appeared masterful in his September 2009 return against Lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez. The problem was that Marquez had no business at Welterweight. His status as the last lineal champion, and the “0” on his record, gets Mayweather a lot of credit but not more than the men in front of him who have done big things, in class, in more recent vintage.

5. Joshua Clottey (35-3, 20 KO)

Last Contest: June 13, 2009, L12 Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KO)

Rold: What’s not to love about Clottey? Sure, he fades a little late in fights and he’s not likely to ever be the king of the Welters. But Clottey brings it. No matter who he fights, he’s a handful and there is something to respect about a fighter like that. Maybe this scribe is just a sucker for Ghanaians; Azumah Nelson and Ike Quartey rate as contemporary favorites after all. There is more than that. Clottey’s losses say a lot about him. He was beating future champion Carlos Baldomir easily before a disqualification in 1999 and gave both Margarito and Cotto hell in defeat while proving too much for Zab Judah. A fight with IBF titlist Isaac Hlatshawyo would be worth a ticket for anyone.

Donovan: Somewhere along the way, Clottey will have to find a way to win a big fight. That aside, he deserves much better than the hand he’s been dealt. First, he was supposed to fight Shane Mosley, only for HBO to yank the date. Then came the proposed crossroads bout with Carlos Quintana, only for Top Rank to lose the date after Kelly Pavlik was once again forced to withdraw from a fight with Paul Williams. What’s worse is that it’s business as usual for Top Rank, who has already announced plans for dates over the next three months, though never once mentioning Clottey’s name.

6. Andre Berto (25-0, 19 KO, WBC, 3 Defenses)

Last Contest: May 30, 2009, UD12 Juan Urango (22-2-1, 17 KO, IBF Jr. Welterweight)

Next Contest: January 30, 2010 vs. #1 Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO, WBA Super, 0 Defenses)

Donovan: The free ride is over, though to ‘Dre’s credit, the Shane Mosley fight he gets next January is one he’s pursued for more than a year. Most seem to forget that Berto was set to face Mosley until the three-division world champion instead opted for the greater payday – and perceived risk – against Margarito. How ironic that Mosley went on to post a career-best performance, while Berto struggled mightily with Collazo, in a fight many felt the 2004 Haitian Olympian was lucky to have his hand raised at night’s end. Between a disputed win and a stinker over Juan Urango, ’09 hasn’t exactly been the best year for Berto. Starting off 2010 against the best welterweight in the world isn’t exactly a confidence builder, although he could be catching Mosley at the perfect time, at age 38 and coming off a 53-week layoff.

Rold: I don’t think Berto needs a confidence builder and I don’t see much of a free ride. Sure, HBO dates for some of the fights he’s had were questionable, but his first 25 fights have been fairly typical of a young star being groomed. Fight number twenty-six is the test to see if the build was orchestrated correctly and if he’s good enough to round the learning curve. Berto has lingering questions about his chin, and his head movement is a problem because he doesn’t have much, but has Mosley ever faced a fighter with the speed advantage Berto will have over him? This is make-or-break time for Berto and he just might surprise the doubters. Despite his struggles, he’s shown tremendous heart and resilience on his way up the ranks.

7. Luis Collazo (30-4, 15 KO)

Last Contest: June 20, 2009, TKO6 David Gogichaishvili (9-17, 4 KO)

Rold: Doesn’t it feel like Luis Collazo has been around forever? He hasn’t of course but he’s been such a steady presence in the middle of the Welterweight pack it can feel like it. The only other face who has been so consistent during the same time period is Margarito, but Collazo never quite hit the same level of respect. Collazo-types are the lifeblood of a strong weight division, the gateway between the upper echelons and journeyman status. Where does he have to go right now though? If Berto can beat Mosley, there is always a rematch. Mosley already beat him badly. Pacquiao and Mayweather? Not likely. He’s just good enough to be stuck right now.

Donovan: It’s odd that Collazo’s best moments have come in near misses with Hatton and Berto, both fights in which many felt the Nuyorican did enough to win, particularly the latter. Any hope for a Hatton rematch has long been dissolved; a return go with Berto is most likely contingent on the Floridian surviving next year’s collision with Mosley. As Cliff mentioned, a Mosley win puts Collazo right back at square one, since their Feb. ’07 bout was far too lopsided (and disinteresting) to warrant a return match. Much like Clottey, Luis is in a spot where he can take tune-ups against no-hopers while holding out for bigger fights to materialize, but with little room for any fights that fall in between the two categories due to the risk-reward factor he carries.

8. Isaac Hlatshawyo (29-1-1, 10 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)

Last Contest: August 1, 2009, SD12 Delvin Rodriguez (24-3-2, 14 KO)

Donovan: Hlatshwayo has flown way under the radar since losing to Kendall Holt in a stinker televised on Showtime. The Holt fight suggested his being a man without a country – too big for lightweight but perhaps too small for 140. Yet moving up seven more pounds has actually proven to be the remedy, going 4-0-1 since then, including a draw and a win over the very capable Delvin Rodriguez. The problem, however, is that it’s impossible to envision him going any further. Of the seven rated above him, Collazo is the only one against whom I’d give Hlatshwayo a decent chance, nor am I even convinced he beats Senchenko or Quintana.

Rold: It doesn’t say much when a Welterweight’s best win is a bout while still a Lightweight contender. Rodriguez was nice because it snared him a belt but is that really an impressive win? The one bright spot for Hlatshawyo could come because of his belt. Mosley and Berto are likely without an immediate dance partner, whoever wins that one. Could they see holding three belts, to the potential Pacquiao-Mayweather winner’s one, as leverage for a super payday late in 2010? If the answer is yes, Hlatshawyo could cash in. Maybe he’ll even shock the world.

9. Vyacheslav Senchenko (30-0, 20 KO, WBA Regular, 1 Defense)

Last Contest: October 3, 2009, UD12 Motoki Sasaki (32-8-1, 20 KO)

Rold: There will be some who see this as the latest overseas name to hold down the “Thomas Daamgard” slot. For those unfamiliar, Daamgard battled overseas for years, always at the fringe of Welterweight contention, and no one could have picked him out of a crowd without help. Don’t’ let the foreign-ness fool. Senchenko has a good jab, fluid combinations, and excellent feet. His title win over Yuriy Nuzhnenko was a solid boxing effort and with opportunities he could be a dark horse for a major upset somewhere down the road.

Donovan: Senchenko is everything that I find amazing about this division. It’s deep enough to where a fighter of his ilk can only man the number nine spot. Yet despite it being the most lucrative in the sport, Senchenko represents one of several high-risk/low reward talents. The Ukrainian was one of several Plan B options that existed while Shane spent the remaining 49 weeks of 2009 on the sidelines, the regular champion to Mosley’s “super champ” status among the WBA. Don’t count on that fight, or any other against notable talent on this side of the Atlantic, to exist until Golden Boy or Top Rank find it profitable enough to obtain the stateside rights to his career.

10. Carlos Quintana (26-2, 20 KO)

Last Contest: October 25, 2008, TKO4 Joshua Onyango (14-17-1, 11 KO)

Donovan: As loaded as is the welterweight division, Quintana is a name at which you have to do a double take and wonder, “How did he sneak into the top 10?” There’s only so much mileage he should be afforded from his win over P-Dub in their first fight, especially considering the way he was blitzed in the return go less than four months later. A showdown with Clottey would’ve went a long way towards determining whether or not he remains Top 10; he gets to keep the December 5 date, albeit way off camera and against much lighter competition (Jesse Feliciano, who honestly has no business fighting on). Quintana’s been his own worst enemy, twice pulling out of televised fights this year due to injury, but until other welterweights below him begin to step up, his spot is secure.

Rold: While agreeing on Jake’s general thesis, Quintana is also evidence of a problem in every class when there are seventeen to go around. Once one gets to the ten spot, the picking get slim. This is one of the best weight classes in the game so imagine what’s going on elsewhere. Quintana sticks around largely on past work but some young gun could easily take this slot in 2010 if something doesn’t break, in the ring, for Quintana.

Exclusions?

Rold: It’s hard to say anyone is missing but there are certainly candidates for contention rising in the ranks. Selcuk Aydin (19-0, 15 KO) is a blast to watch and could easily be tenth now. Former champion Zab Judah (38-6, 26 KO) is flirting back at Jr. Welterweight but that could always change and he could sneak back in. And of course there is Mexico’s Saul Alvarez (29-0, 22 KO). Only 19, he could be a breakout star sooner than later.

Donovan: At some point next year, Antonio Margarito will have his license renewed. His year or so away from the ring certainly warrants his no longer being ranked; the question is where to place him once he returns. Cotto’s at #3 based on strength of schedule; Margarito will have to warrant similar consideration regardless of who’s in the opposite corner for his first fight back. There’s also the winner of this weekend’s title eliminator between Rafa Jackiewicz and Delvin Rodriguez, which will have occurred by the time this is published.

For BoxingScene’s latest full divisional ratings, log on to: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=boxing-ratings

Jul 24, 2005
Is Lucian Bute The Super Seventh?

By T.K. Stewart

QUEBEC CITY – The arena here is sold out. Over 16,000 loyal Lucian Bute supporters will soon flood the aisles of the Colisee Pepsi in an attempt to usher their man to another victory over rugged challenger Librado Andrade.

Bute, the world super middleweight champion according to the proclamations of the International Boxing Federation, is a franchise unto himself in this French-speaking Canadian province. Born in Romania, but fighting out of Montreal, which is a few hours drive away, the undefeated 29-year-old southpaw has become a proven commodity that continues to yield significant dividends.

InterBox, the entity that promotes and markets him, has done a masterful job in developing the soft-spoken Bute into a powerhouse at the ticket window. With his pristine record of 24-0, 19 knockouts intact, Bute has become such a sensation here that it appears there is some reluctance to let him go elsewhere to display his wares.

Bute's first fight against Andrade last October drew over 16,000 fans to Montreal's Bell Centre. During his career, Bute has fought in that arena, the home of the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League, a total of 15 times and his bouts always guarantee a healthy box office. His popularity is such that an open workout for the media and fans at a shopping mall Tuesday drew a fawning crowd of nearly one thousand.

“It’s an honor to represent Quebec,” said the somewhat reserved Bute earlier this week during a chat with reporters. “It’s a real honor.”

Stephan Larouche, Bute's tireless trainer and confidant is not shy about his charge or about telling anyone what he thinks about his fighter and what his future may hold.

“He’s an icon,” states Larouche. “He's learned to speak French and the people here have given back the love and support to him. Lucian wants to give them a good performance. Boxing fans here really enjoy him and he’s in very good hands here in Quebec. He's now going to university to learn to speak English. His next step will be to go to the U.S. and become a big star there.”

It would seem that Bute had his chance to become a big star in the American market earlier this year when the Showtime network developed a tournament called the Super Six World Boxing Classic. But it wasn't to be.

Ken Hershman, Vice President of Sports Programming at the network organized a round-robin contest that now includes six of the top 168-pound boxers in the world. Hershman seemed to be grooming Bute to be a major part of the affair. Many of Bute's recent fights (including the first fight against Andrade) were televised by Showtime and Bute was ringside for Carl Froch's destruction of Jermain Taylor in April that was televised on the network.

But during the early negotiations to include Bute, talks apparently broke down with barely a word of explanation as to why. Soon after the framework of the World Boxing Classic was announced, news came that Bute had fled to HBO and that he would meet Andrade in a rematch. The only detail offered by Hershman for Bute's exclusion from the tournament was a terse statement that said Bute “was not invited to participate.”

As the rest of the world's top super middleweights continue on with the high-profile tournament, Bute and his handlers now forge ahead and continue business as usual. Whether their decision to remain outside the tournament will be a smart one remains to be seen. However, it could be that Bute and InterBox made the smartest move of all by remaining outside the confines of the Super Six.

During the short time the World Boxing Classic has been going on, it has seen a controversial decision loss by Andre Dirrell to Carl Froch, a possible career-ending loss by Jermain Taylor at the hands of Arthur Abraham and the fall of the tournament favorite Mikkel Kessler to Andre Ward. It has become clear that the losses in the tournament are extremely costly, while the wins are are extremely lucrative.

Make no mistake – the sport of boxing is a business – and business for Lucian Bute in Quebec is very, very good. Instead of taking the Showtime route across the border to the United States market, his appearance on HBO (and future appearances) will likely pave the way for his breakthrough into America.

Should he make it by the come ahead style of Andrade here tonight (which is no given) Bute can continue to make enough money to burn while defending his title on HBO against a deep well of 168-pound contenders.

Meanwhile, the fighters in the Super Six will continue to beat the stuffing out of one another on their way to crowning an eventual overall champion. By not participating in the tournament, it allows Bute the opportunity to bide his time, fight at home, build his bank account, his record and his name. It's a calculated risk, but as long as he can hold onto the IBF title belt and/or keep his unbeaten record intact, he will be the natural choice for the Super Six winner to be matched against.

And here's another fact - as long as Bute remains on track - the winner of the Super Six will not be universally regarded as the best super middleweight in the world. That man, whoever it is, will have to engage Bute in order to silence the doubters. Like the old phrase states, it leaves Bute 'sitting in the catbird seat' which is the most enviable postion of all.

But all of that hinges on getting by Librado Andrade a second time. When asked for his thoughts regarding the Super Six tournament and if he had been watching those matches or whether he would be interested in getting into the tournament, Bute gave his thoughts.

“I watched the fights,” he said. “I thought Froch deserved to win over Dirrell and I saw the Kessler fight. But for me, it's too early to talk about the future because I'm focused on this fight with Andrade. But in terms of the Super Six – I'm number one.”

Bute and Larouche are taking tonight's fight extremely serious. Bute was well on his way to a wide decision victory over Andrade the first time, but with about a minute remaining in the twelfth and final round, a wave of exhaustion overcame him and he was very nearly swamped. Bute was knocked down and a confused referee elongated the count - as well as Bute's recovery time. As a result, he escaped to hear the final bell.

Bute knows he came within seconds of losing his title and his undefeated record so for this fight he and Larouche were meticulous in their preparation. They moved their training camp to Florida to take advantage of the warm weather. One of the fighters they sparred with was former light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson who was in training for his rematch against Chad Dawson.

“We had a really, really good training camp,” said Larouche. “He will do better. He will do every little thing he did the last time but a little better. Lucian, without being a slugger, is always a crowd-pleaser. He always pleases the fans the way he fights. Now he is sharper, better and he has crisper punches. He has worse intentions at the end of his punches. His weight is all good and he’s in tremendous shape. They're both great guys, but unfortunately there has to be a winner and a loser and the IBF title is going to stay in Quebec.”

In terms of the first fight against Andrade, Bute offers a simple explanation as to why he became unglued at the end.

“I was tired,” he explains. “After twelve good rounds I was just tired and I just did a little mistake and you know what happened. But I showed a lot of courage to be on my feet before the end of the fight. We didn't make any real changes for this fight. We're just very well prepared, as usual. But for sure you are going to see a different Lucian Bute this Saturday on HBO. The last time I made a little mistake by standing in front of Librado. He was looking to give a show...I was tired...I made a mistake and I got hit. I have a strategy for Saturday. At the post-fight press conference Librado Andrade will tell the people there it was a different Lucian Bute.”

In the Corners
Bute and Andrade made weight on Friday afternoon as each man scaled 166 3/4. Andrade told me earlier this week that he began training camp at 200 pounds. But he also told me that he has no problem in getting down to the super middleweight limit. However, no matter how you look at it, 33 1/4 pounds is a lot of weight to lose and I think that will take something out of Librado as the fight wears on. My money is all on Lucian Bute tonight. He was winning the first fight handily before coming apart in the final minute. The oddsmakers are also on Bute's side and the most likely outcome they envision is for him to decision the iron-chinned and steel-willed Andrade...Lost on the undercard here is what I think will be an excellent fight featuring Joan Guzman of the Dominican Republic versus South Africa's Ali Funeka for the vacant IBF lightweight title. Guzman, who has had weight problems in the past weighed in at 134 1/2 Friday afternoon while Funeka came in at 134. I was very impressed with Funeka's effort against Nate Campbell earlier this year. This will only be Guzman's fourth fight in almost three years and only his second bout as a lightweight. Funeka is an extremely difficult fighter to face because of his height (6'1”) and reach (72”). He is six inches taller than Guzman and has a five inch reach advantage. With his inactivity and age (33) I'll be surprised if the undefeated Guzman doesn't suffer his first loss...Unbeaten Scottish middleweight Craig McEwan is also making an appearance on the card. I met McEwan for the first time a couple of weeks ago at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood and he looks like a contender in the making. Trained by Freddie Roach and promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, McEwan, 16-0, 9 KOs will face the undefeated James Parison, 12-0, 3 KOs who hails from San Diego. Oscar De La Hoya is supposed to be in attendance here tonight to show his support for Andrade, Guzman and McEwan.