Best LCD TVs out there!.wut do you recommend?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

poet

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
i prefer to run always the numbers. samsung netbooks are rated considerably higher than hp (via consumer reports) for many of the same reasons i am slightly frustrated with mine.

this is the one i have (cept, i have a three-cell battery): http://www.amazon.com/Mini-110-1030...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270746512&sr=8-1

and this is the one i shouldve gotten: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-N120-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270746459&sr=8-10

that sucks that your tv went out, man. that shit blows.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Panasonic plasmas are the best picture for the price. The newer plasmas last a lot longer, they are rated for a half life of 60,000hrs or 100,000hours which is about the same as an LCD. Burn in isn't really an issue anymore and most of the tv's have a function to turn the tv off if a static image is left on. The other thing plasmas are criticized about is the glare but if you buy a higher end model they come with an anti glare screen, LCD's are the same way a cheaper one will have a glossy screen and a nicer one will have an anti glare screen.

My parents picked up a 50" Panasonic plasma for $800 and the picture is great. The nicer model was $300 more but the only real difference was that it had an anti glare screen. Do a little research on the www.avsforum.com once you narrow it down to a few sets.

Feb 13, 2006
Panasonic plasmas are the best picture for the price. The newer plasmas last a lot longer, they are rated for a half life of 60,000hrs or 100,000hours which is about the same as an LCD. Burn in isn't really an issue anymore and most of the tv's have a function to turn the tv off if a static image is left on. The other thing plasmas are criticized about is the glare but if you buy a higher end model they come with an anti glare screen, LCD's are the same way a cheaper one will have a glossy screen and a nicer one will have an anti glare screen.

My parents picked up a 50" Panasonic plasma for $800 and the picture is great. The nicer model was $300 more but the only real difference was that it had an anti glare screen. Do a little research on the www.avsforum.com once you narrow it down to a few sets.
Best recommendation in this thread so far. Measurement wise, these Panasonic's are second to none.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
That article doesnt provide any evidence for what you stated.

My old 32" Samsung had a non-reflective screen, while my 8 Series Samsung has a glossy screen. Just on that ALONE, what you stated is FALSE.
I get what you are saying now it isn't always the cheaper LCD that has a glossy screen but that is how it works with the Panasonic plasmas. I really don't like the glossy screen but they are used on LCD's and Plasmas so you can't use glare as an argument that Plasmas are worse.

Oct 9, 2008
Just know that samsung has the worst customer service..i have a 52 in and a 32 in samsung..one time i had a problem with one so i called samsung and the tech was supposed to call me back to schedule a service in like 72hrs or somethin...i get a call literally like 3 months later and by that time i figured it out..my 32 in has been great..on the other hand my 52 which i've had for like 4 months sometimes seems to loose it's sound thru the speakers all the sudden? Then i turn it off and back on and it's cool? It will also sometimes sound like one of the speakers are blown? but then off and back on and it's cool? So i don't know wtf? makes me think maybe i should've went sony??

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
SONY IS THE BEST WAY TO GO. I HAVE THE 46' SONY LCD S-SERIES ISN'T THE Z-SERIES JUST AS GREAT BUT WITH OUT THAT MANY HZ. MY COUSIN GOT THE 52" SONY LCD V-SERIES 120 hz T.V IS GREAT YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WIT SONY I KNOW THEY HAD A SALE ON SONY T.V'S LIKE IN FEB. THATS WHEN WE GOT OURS. BUT IDK IF THEY STILL HAVE THEM I PAID 719 FOR MINE @ BEST BUY MY COUSIN PAID 1350 FOR HIS @ COSTCO. AND OH YEAH THEY ARE BRAVIA!

Oct 9, 2008
I think that shit helps..but i havn't really messed wit the setting on my surround sound yet.. but it's pretty much like being at the movies..(more speakers=better)

May 9, 2002
I think that shit helps..but i havn't really messed wit the setting on my surround sound yet.. but it's pretty much like being at the movies..(more speakers=better)
Not when your TV speakers = crap

A descent surround sound setup should NOT include your TV speakers, plain & simple.

But hey, I aint you. If you really feel it makes a difference in SQ, then by all means.