All Bullshit Aside, Who Are The REAL hot artists in the NW????

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
B

Bosko

I have been seeing people post artists on here, that I have either never heard of in the NW, or aren't really deserving of any credit at all. I am wondering what makes some of these aritsts on peoples lists the best in the NW?

It seems that beyond this message board, some of these aritsts have never really done anything. I am wondering what is the criteria for being judged one of the best in the NW??

Is it sub-par rapping?
Is it sub-par production?
Is it horrible graphic design?

I would just like to know. I think that there are only a couple of labels from the NW that deserve any props, and the rest need to be thrown to the side.

Tell me your thoughts, and you feel makes some of these labels worthy of your props. You can list the label, and then list the reason why.

I am very curious.......

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
Bosko said:
Is it sub-par rapping?
Is it sub-par production?
Is it horrible graphic design?
In response to the question in your subject... Does it really matter? And who are you referring to in the above quote? Alot of cats are just trying there hardest to do this rap shit... I don't think it's right to talk down on cats who are trying to do there thing. Especially the cats who are doing this rap shit legally. The ones who aren't pushing coke, the ones who aren't robbin cats anymore, the ones who do it for the love of the music and not the paycheck. I mean no disrespect to you by posting my comments but you were nothing once and the same cats you're being condiscending to have respect for you and you don't even know it or probably care.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Hmmm...

I wonder what makes any label in the Northwest special?

What exactly makes somebody deservant of credit?

Could it be radio spins? Album sales? Fan admiration? Constantly exceeding the maximum weight limit?

I really don't think anybody in the Northwest deserves credit, because the truth is that cats from the East, midwest and South think we're all jokes anyways.

People shouldn't even be talking about ANYBODY deserving credit until they have blown up majorly. I mean bigger than Mix, he's the only person in the NW that DESERVES credit. Everybody else, gets credit where credit is due.

May 17, 2002
this shit is getting outta hand, if people arent going to help build then they should just do themselves and not try to talk down on anyone, and this isnt pointed at anyone in particular, cuz i see alot of people around here that are getting brittle, opinions are opinions, if you dont like it then you dont have to respond.

so either help build or just do yourself like 99.9% of all the other artists do around here

May 4, 2002
I think that there are only a couple of labels from the NW that deserve any props, and the rest need to be thrown to the side.
[/B]

Your right there is only a few labels in the NW that deserve major props, But each one of those labels started somewhere. So instead of THROWING the others ones to the side, how about we all support the ones with potential and help them build.

Do you think New York would have such a presence in hip hop if they only had 3 major labels...............

DAK iller

Apr 25, 2002
Most cats don't rap because of the pure love for it though, they do it because they have dreams of being a rap superstar or think it's a viable way for them to generate an income... Even if they won't admit it. And of course cats ain't doing it for the money... For most of them that's not even an option.

Cats just settle for less man. They've been flooded with so much garbage ass music that they don't expect much from anyone anymore. The bar is set too low.

I think Bosko expects more from people claiming to be "producers" and/or "rappers". He probably understands and appreciates what real talent is because he is more exposed to it than the average person. That's just my take and if I'm wrong, Bosko can let me know.

Put it this way.... just because a cat can make shots on a basketball court, doesn't mean he's NBA material. And at the end of the day, it's all about BUSINESS. You want to make sure you're spending your time & resources on cats who have the most potential to yield the best returns whether it be financial profit or otherwise. Cats THINK everyone should hold hands, do everyone favors and receive charity (beats, studio time, etc) because thats in their own best interests but in the real world, that shit is pretty much for the birds. The truth is either you work hard as a mutha fucka (which is about 100x what you THINK is hard work) and earn your way in or you buy your way in. If you can accept & deal with that, you might actually have a glimmer of hope... If it makes you mad & feeling defensive, the music business ain't for you.

It's funny how people will try to sell you on their dreams when they don't even believe in it enough to invest in themselves. Everyone is always looking for a hand-out because they think they should get what they want on your dime instead of their own.

Apr 25, 2002
Re: Re: All Bullshit Aside, Who Are The REAL hot artists in the NW????

Dak iller said:
Your right there is only a few labels in the NW that deserve major props, But each one of those labels started somewhere. So instead of THROWING the others ones to the side, how about we all support the ones with potential and help them build.
How about instead of doing that, they help themselves and do it on their own instead of relying on favors and freebies?

Unless you're in business together, a cat thats using his time & resources to help you get closer to your goals, ISN'T using that time & resources to get himself closer to his. Unless running a wannabe-rapper charity is his goal in life. Last I heard, people can't pay bills with thank you's and appreciation. And some cats don't even get that!

Everyone wants your time, skill, experience, knowledge, and resources... Very few people think they should have to pay or compensate you for it.

Helping people is a good thing to do from time to time but keep in mind that an investment yielding little or no return is generally a bad investment.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Re: Re: All Bullshit Aside, Who Are The REAL hot artists in the NW????

mo-x said:
Does it really matter? And who are you referring to in the above quote? Alot of cats are just trying there hardest to do this rap shit... I don't think it's right to talk down on cats who are trying to do there thing.

real shit...

the reason i list the people that I list is because I BELIEVE they are tight. I personally like them, and I could care less what anyone thinks....My criteria for the REAL hot artists is: tight licks, original style/delivery, and tight beats....example: GETTIN GREEDY, STREETL LEVEL, AND UNKNOWN TERRITORY.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
As far as i see it....I'm the Aberdeenian Palestenian over here, a NorthWest Bedouin to the fullest. Match me half...trade me straight up...and we're cool. But leave money out of it as much as possible. Its all the same struggle, and its all relative.

My NW top 10 changes every day...for real...

Jun 4, 2002
^^^english please........people like your are the problem
you think you can jump on a fruity loop beat with your
fisher price mic and make hits...its not gonna happen..
your not a factor you don't even have a product availible!!
i give mo-x and lil-g there props they doing it right they
got quality beat and they don't burn bridges they promote
and stay humble..unlike you who think he's some fucking
super artist who's on his way to the top..lol!! olympia may
be treating you good but the hood will laugh at you........

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
1...friend....my product IS available, and i just shipped out a few copies of it today.

2...sam sahib...i AM a super artist who is on his way to the top. And frankly, i pity each and every single artist in this game who doesn't think the same exact thing.

3...yaa ustez....not all of us can be text rappers like you and not put out product. Some of us have DRIVE and PASSION enough to invest in our careers. Not just invest in a keyboard.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
I've read everybodies comments thus far and everyone of you makes great points... but I wanna make another. I'm not bitter at what Bosko said. I just think that someone in his position has no business clownin the little guys. Alot of NW rappers look up to this guy and they don't even know him... he's like a glimmer of hope for alot of cats. If you do production you shoot to be Bosko... I just think it's disrespectful to step on where you came from and that's the only reason I opened up my mouth. Let's not turn this into a thread about hatin on Bosko, if anything lets identify the problem we (the underground NW scene) have and come up with a solution to fix it.

On a sidenote, Sick Wid It is right... he understands what it's like to operate a studio and what he said is true. Everybody comes around with there hand out once you've built your studio up to the level where it's on some semi-pro or pro shit. Not one of those cats is willing to spend a dime on there career. I'm the complete opposite, every waking hour, every dime, ever breathe is put towards this rap shit. My life is a constant upgrade... if I don't have a studio session then I'm in the studio learning how to make myself and the others around me sound better. If I need something that is going to aid my ability to make myself and the people around me sound better then it's purchased, most of the time without thinking of the consequences. This rap shit is my life and I know quite a few people out there with the same mindset. Like Sam Savage said... I just do my thing and stay humble... that's all I know how to do.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
mo-x said:
I'm the complete opposite, every waking hour, every dime, ever breathe is put towards this rap shit. My life is a constant upgrade... if I don't have a studio session then I'm in the studio learning how to make myself and the others around me sound better. If I need something that is going to aid my ability to make myself and the people around me sound better then it's purchased, most of the time without thinking of the consequences. This rap shit is my life and I know quite a few people out there with the same mindset.
Much respect.

Jun 4, 2002
tadou said:
1...friend....my product IS available, and i just shipped out a few copies of it today.

2...sam sahib...i AM a super artist who is on his way to the top. And frankly, i pity each and every single artist in this game who doesn't think the same exact thing.

3...yaa ustez....not all of us can be text rappers like you and not put out product. Some of us have DRIVE and PASSION enough to invest in our careers. Not just invest in a keyboard.

1....Can i only purchase online? Is it a Cdr? If your shit is not
availible in stores you got to be out in these streets or at these
shows hustlin...How would i find out about your album with out
a computer? you got flyers or are you just depending on word of mouth alone?

2......how you on the way to the top when i've witnessed you burn bridges left and right...are you even employed? you know
it takes money to make money right!!!how big a fan base you
think your gonna get online constantly talking shit and acting
smarter than the next guy?

3.....Some of us have enough brains to know money makes the
world go around and being a noname rapper don't pay the
bills.....If i did put out some music im gonna make damb sure
im polished....my delivery..my lyrics..my beats..are all on point
you never get a second chance to make a first impression!!!!!!

oh yea and i'll serve you in text any time your garbage!!!!!lol

:dead:

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
This is kinda fun....

1, yes, its shrink-wrapped and glass-mastered and is an "actual" cd. 90%+ of them have been sold in my home town and surrounding area, the way i wanted it to be. No flyers, no posters, just word of mouth.

2, If speaking my mind means burning a bridge, then ill burn any bridge any day of the week and not give a fuck. If people get butt hurt over online comments enough to not work with me, thats on them. Its their pocketbook...not mine.

3, I'm a full time student, I don't need a job. Rapping not pay the bills? I can sell 3 units a month and have enough for a credit card payment. Thats no mansion, but its no chump change either.

That all being said.....i feel like my NW career is goin just fine. Ill be the first to admit my product isn't on the same par as a Sarkastik or Bullet release, which is why I gladly stay in my backyard and know my place. I just wish more people would do the same.

Maybe this is part of what Bosko is talking about....that people should lock-down their own stomping grounds before flooding the whole region with their shit........who knows.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
First of all Bosko,you have to understand that we don't get the chance to purchase every artists cd's,so there's a reason I can't say Bullet's dope,or Maniak Lok is dope,or so and so.I have'nt heard everybody's shit,so maybe that's why certain people are'nt being included.I don't think there's one lable in all of the Northwest that's doing much of anything.I don't see any shit in Tower outside of Pointside Records(consignment) for the most part.I've seen one Cool Nuts album,and one album of Bullet with some other kat in the last 20 years.I've seen E-Dawg here and there ,but I've never been into his music much.Just because we're sayin people are the best,and we did'nt include someone else,it don't mean shit.

What few lables are doing something?I can't find one Northwest Record Lable that is doing anything.There is'nt good promotion.I don't see shit for promotion in West Seattle,except for some Self Tightld,or Gangsta Nutt flyers on a couple abandon houses.Every lable has no Distribution,or wack distribution.I've never seen a MR D.O.G. album anywhere?He's only 15-20 minutes from me.

I see all these tours comin through all these small hick towns,but nobodies comin to Downtown Seattle,the biggest city in the NW.There's got to be 1000 clubs/bars?

Where's the support from the vets in the game?You got to know the rumors of why Mix-A-Lot recieve's very little love from the Crime District and South End kats.(I don't necessarly agree)

Not everyone can start out a lable with 6 figures backing them,or a bunch of drug money,so where do you start?Where can a kid from the inner-city come up with studio money,promotion,equipment,packaging,mix-and mastering,money for dope production,the time..if he's workin 40 a week to feed his baby(s) etc etc etc.

For every Sony,there's a Black Market Records that is putting out better shit.Just cause Young MC sells 2 million,does'nt mean he gets more props than Mac Mall who sold 25k.Sales don't mean shit.People judge it if there heads a bobbin to it.Simple as that.

"and the rest need to be thrown to the side"BOSKO

WHY?^