Affliction Day of Reckoning Andrei Arlovski vs Fedor Emelianenko who will win?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Fedor Emelianenko vs Andrei Arlovski

• Fedor Emelianenko via KO or TKO

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Fedor Emelianenko via Submission

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Fedor Emelianenko via Decision

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Andrei Arlovski via KO or TKO

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Andrei Arlovski via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrei Arlovski via Decision

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Affliction: Day of Reckoning Bettings Odds

Fedor Emelianenko -350 vs Andrei Arlovski +280
Josh Barnett -575 vs Gilbert Yvel +425
Matt Lindland -175 vs Vitor Belfort +145
Renato Sobral -155 vs Rameau Sokoudjou +125
Chris Horodecki -220 vs Dan Lauzon +180
Paul Buentello -200 vs Kiril Sidelnikov +160
Vladimir Matyushenko -120 vs Rogerio Nogueira -110
Jay Hieron -275 vs Jason High +215
Lc Davis -200 vs Bao Quach +160
Antonio Duarte -245 vs Albert Rios +195
Brett Cooper -200 vs Patrick Speight +160

Feb 7, 2006
Feb 7, 2006
Road to ‘Reckoning’ a Winding One

Three months to the day of its official announcement, Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski finally stood toe-to-toe inside the House of Blues in Los Angeles for the first of three staredowns leading up to their heavyweight tilt on Saturday at Affliction and M-1 Global’s “Day of Reckoning” at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The confident couple will square off again Friday at the event’s weigh-ins, also inside the Honda Center, and will converge one last time in the center of the ring before they retire to their corners.

It hasn’t been an easy task assembling such a high caliber bout between the world’s No. 1 and 2 ranked heavyweights, though one wouldn’t notice from the polished presentation that Affliction, M-1 Global, Golden Boy Productions, and the Trump Organization presented their few month’s effort Wednesday for the press.

The road to “Reckoning” has had its twist and turns though.

Following Emelianenko’s 36-second trouncing of Tim Sylvia at Affliction “Banned” last July, word quickly spread that the unflappable Russian would not be well enough to helm a second event planned for Oct. 11 in Las Vegas. It seems Emelianenko’s right hand, which has steadily betrayed the heavyweight throughout his 8-year career, could not withstand the shellacking he inflicted.

Affliction rightfully turned its efforts to a contender’s match between Josh Barnett, hot off avenging his 2000 loss to Pedro Rizzo, and Arlovski, who has flourished with victories against Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson since he exited the UFC in July.

However, amidst whispers of emaciated ticket sales and Zuffa LLC’s strong-arm tactics in exerting its home turf advantage, the event was cancelled.

On Oct. 21, Affliction announced that it would team up with Golden Boy for an illustrious hybrid event. Those plans fell to the wayside shortly afterward, but a solo MMA offering stayed on the docket for Jan. 24, while Oscar De La Hoya’s unit booked a monster attraction between “Sugar” Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito just 30 miles down the road at the Staples Center.

But all this is water under the bridge, say the partnering promoters. What’s important is Emelianenko (28-1), who hasn’t always faced the strongest opposition available, should get a test in a hungry Arlovski (15-5). The bout, which will reportedly cost Affliction a few million dollars in purses alone to pull off, will answer a relevant question in the heavyweight division.

“It’s a very, very important fight,” said Emelianenko through his interpreter Steve Nash. “It’s one of the most important fights of my life, my career. I’m fighting a very difficult, a very dangerous opponent, one that I’ve trained for very seriously with all of my efforts.”

With a yogi’s calm, the slightly grinning Emelianenko addressed the room Wednesday as if he were speaking at a Tony Robbins seminar.

“I’d like to wish all the fighters no injuries, a great show and for them to perform to the best of their ability,” he said.

That’s all anybody can ask for.

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor's Final Hours
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Fedors-Final-Hours-1885
He's weathered a 30-hour journey from Stary Oskol, Russia, to Los Angeles, and all that's left are the final days and hours for Fedor Emelianenko.

On Saturday, the tempered Russian steps into the ring for the 29th time with the hopes and dreams of a nation on his shoulders. Victory is his for the taking, but Andrei Arlovski stands in his way.

In the final hours, it's too late for game plans, too late for second guessing. Leading up to Saturday's Affliction and M-1 Global presented "Day of Reckoning," Emelianenko tells Sherdog.com's Loretta Hunt what his final hours will hold.

Feb 7, 2006
Andrei Arlovski hopes to cash in against Fedor Emelianenko

Andrei Arlovski finds himself in a unique position on Saturday night when he faces Fedor Emelianenko, generally considered the sport's best heavyweight, in a five-round match for the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts title.

The former UFC heavyweight champion left the organization last year to take one of the most lucrative MMA contracts in history from upstart Affliction.

Arlovski's contracted pay was $170,000 for his final UFC fight last March, where he stopped Jake O'Brien. Arlovski received $500,000 to win and a $250,000 winning bonus for his first bout with the new organization, his TKO of Ben Rothwell in July.

With escalator clauses in his contract, his fight in the main event of Affliction's Saturday pay-per-view card at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., will pay him in excess of $1 million, a number confirmed by UFC officials, who had right of first refusal on Arlovski's new contract.

The windfall is wonderful if you're Arlovski, but Affliction has largely built its brand on Emelianenko's mystique. After canceling a second show in October and with reported slow ticket sales for Saturday's card, even if this week's promotional blitz does render great results, the longterm viability of the promotion is in question.

Even if Arlovski achieves his goal, which is to be viewed as the best in the world, it could come at the company's expense. But Arlovski is only focused on the fight at the moment, not the financials.

"If you want to be the best fighter, you have to fight the best fighter," said Arlovski. "We'll find out who's better. For this fight I have to be mentally prepared. He's a human. I used to think nobody can beat me, and then Tim Sylvia beat me twice."

Arlovski, on paper, figures to give Emelianenko his toughest test in at least three years. The former UFC heavyweight champion is a nearly 4-to-1 underdog as the challenger.

Emelianenko (28-1 with 1 no-contest), who hasn't tasted defeat in his past 26 fights in a sport that doesn't lend itself to long winning streaks, has become an almost mythological figure in the sport. He's only fought twice in the U.S., and in the past four years has had only two fights against what would be considered legitimate top-ranked opposition at the time.

But just when his detractors started the "overrated" and "what has he done in the past few years" call, he decimated former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia on July 19 in 36 seconds, shutting people up cold.

Emelianenko is often compared to a young Mike Tyson, both because of his punching power and in the sense that his aura is so intimidating, people have mentally lost the fight before it ever starts.

"I do feel more pressure because he's a champion," said Arlovski. "And of course, I'm a little bit nervous. It's the biggest fight of my career and I will do my best, and I will do everything possible to beat him because he's No. 1. I am ranked No. 4 or 5, and I want to be the best fighter.

"I take this as a great opportunity to fight the No. 1 guy, and I feel I can beat him. It means a lot to me. Everybody wants to see an exciting fight, and I think we will show a great fight."

Arlovski has enlisted the help of famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach for the fight. Roach has pushed Arlovski, who held the UFC heavyweight title for 14 months in 2005 and 2006, and his sport, boxing, as the method to topple the king.

From a technical standpoint, Emelianenko is not a boxer. But in a stand-up fight, nobody has ever gotten the better of him, including Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, who was thought to be the best stand-up heavyweight in the sport when they met.

"I think that his footwork as a boxer is not that great," said Roach. "I know he is a good puncher coming forward, but as far as his forward contact rating, I think we have a huge advantage in the footwork and we can take advantage of that."

Roach said the key is to use angles in his favor. "If you're in front of him, he'll destroy you. You can't stand in front of him."

Arlovski, 29, a native of Belarus, comes into the fight with a 14-5 record with 10 wins coming by knockout. His biggest win, the heel hook on the same Sylvia that brought him the UFC title in just 47 seconds at UFC 51, was set up by a knockdown.

He's remarkably light on his feet for someone who comes in at nearly 240 pounds. He's good at avoiding takedowns, though good heavyweight wrestlers like Jake O'Brien and Roy Nelson have gotten him on his back in recent fights. But neither was able to hurt him from there. He has a solid enough ground game that he's never been submitted.

But the big question mark is Arlovski's chin. All but one of his losses, including the match where he dropped the title back to Sylvia, have been by knockout. And Emelianenko is the hardest puncher he's ever faced.

"I've watched Fedor in his last 20 fights," said Roach. "I'm tired of watching Fedor. We study him every day. And I watch what we can do. He's a good puncher. I'm not saying that he's not. He punches very well. But his boxing skills and footwork are not that great. I think that's where we can take advantage in the fight."

Roach, coming off leading Manny Pacquiao to his upset of De La Hoya last month, has talked up Arlovski as having the potential to quickly become a heavyweight contender if he would move into his sport.

In fact, should he win, Roach said he'd like Arlovksi to challenge Nikolai Valuev, the 7-foot Russian who holds the World Boxing Association heavyweight championship.

"That should be his next fight," said Roach. "The Affliction champ against a boxing champion."

"We have an Olympian from Africa who is one of his main sparring partners," said Roach. "And a Mexican champion who has 90 wins and five losses, and as an amateur was No. 2 in the world. He already boxed him, and he has a good style just like Fedor, very much like him. I mean, we have him sparring some tough guys in there. And you know Juan Carlos Gomez. And Andrei is 50/50 with him and he's fighting for the world title in his next fight. So, in boxing, he's doing fine.

"Again, I'm not a genius at the ground game," Roach continued. "I don't understand the science of it yet because I'm very new. But the thing is, his boxing game is very good now and we have the greatest wrestling coaches and jiu-jitsu coaches here, too."

Arlovski's last two fights saw him stop Rothwell and Nelson, two 260-pound heavyweights known for their ability to take punishment.

Neither could match his hand speed standing, and he was aggressive in both cases in finishing them when he got them hurt. Previously, he had appeared gun shy in wanting to exchange after being knocked out in his title loss to Sylvia at UFC 59, a bout which he dominated until eating an uppercut that put him out.

Arlovski thinks that Emelianenko, coming off his first competition loss in eight years, a Nov. 16 loss to Bulgaria's Blagoy Ivanov via decision in sambo, a Russian form of judo and the sport Arlovski started his career doing before picking up the stand-up game, works to his advantage. Emelianenko has disregarded the loss as any sign of his slowing down or playing a part in this match, noting it was in a different sport with different rules.

"Everyone thought he was unbeatable for a few years," said Arlovski. "A loss is a loss and of course he's disappointed. And I just hope he trains harder for my fight. And so, I am training harder too … I want to be the first person to beat him like the first person to beat Mike Tyson. And I will do everything possible to beat him."

Feb 7, 2006
ANDREI ARLOVSKI'S OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME

Saturday will mark the culmination of eight years worth of challenges for Andrei Arlovski. Facing him at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” is the man generally considered to be the scariest, most talented, ruthless fighter to set foot on MMA’s canvas: Fedor Emelianenko.

For three months, this phrase has almost become a mantra: He’s only human.

A necessary reminder, of course, for a man many believe to be unbeatable.

“I thought nobody can beat me, but everybody knows that Tim Sylvia beat me twice,” counters Arlovski. “He’s a human. I guess he was prepared for all the fights very good.”

Arlovski wants the world to know he prepared for the fight of his life like no other. For three months, his web series, “Arlovski 360,” has chronicled the sweat shed for Emelianenko, along with his thoughts on facing the champion. It’s a record for him, too. Whatever happens on Jan. 24, he can look at the tape and know he did his best.

But to beat the unbeatable, the journey really begins and ends in his mind.

“I have to be mentally prepared for this fight I think the most,” he said. “I want to be the first in MMA to beat Fedor.”

Another mantra follows this wish: I will do everything possible to beat him.

Arlovski says the addition of Freddie Roach made his camp more experimental, a welcome change from the usual orbit of boxing/wrestling/jiu-jitsu, that, while necessary, gets old. Roach’s inexperience in the world of MMA shook up the well-defined play between steady coaches Mike Garcia, Dino Costeas, and Sean Bormet.

“I was really surprised, and at the same time excited, because Freddie asked me…'what can you do for example, can you kick here or punch there?' says Arlovski. "And all my trainers are here. Everybody asks each other, ‘what do you think about this?’ Everybody is on the same page, and it’s great. Freddie asks ‘what if you kick him low here or front kick here, can you punch here?’ I think so, let’s try it.”

Emelianenko is the clear favorite on the ground, simply because Arlovski doesn’t relish that part of the game as much. They share a Sambo background, but for Arlovski, it’s just an awareness of moves he’ll have to counteract with his jiu-jitsu. Through his years with Costeas, the Brazilian art has replaced the Russian pastime in significance.

“If I be on the ground with Fedor, I have to do something else,” he explains. “I’m practicing this way. I have to like the guard better, look for armbars and leglocks, so I’m ready.”

Ready, he says, to implement the real game plan.

“I have to try and knock him out, that’s it,” Arlovski says. “I’m ready for both ways.”

There are thoughts of a future in boxing, but they are the least of his concerns right now.

“I’m focused on my fight with Fedor, and we’ll see what happens after,” he says.

When he steps into the ring with Emelianenko on Saturday, he’ll be looking for more than just a belt. He wants to be called the world’s best.

“All my life I’ve been preparing for this fight, and I want more than anything to be champion on Jan. 24,” he says. “They put my arm in the air and call me the champion, it’s a great moment. I train hard for this moment.”

Feb 7, 2006
Watch "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" video channel, "AV Live," here

To promote tomorrow's "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., the organization is streaming live and pre-recorded content on a special video channel all today.

In conjunction with Affliction Entertainment, MMAjunkie.com has provided a feed of "AV Live" here.

The broadcast will start at the fighters' hotel before the competitors head to today's weigh-ins, which MMAjunkie.com will cover live beginning at 6 p.m. EST (3 p.m. PST).

The feed will include interviews with fighters and other pre-recorded programming.

The weigh-ins, which include a ring ceremony for "Day of Reckoning" headliner and WAMMA heavyweight title-holder Fedor Emelianenko, are open to the public. Doors to the Honda Center open at 2 p.m. PST.

You can also catch the weigh-ins live on HDNet or on ESPN.

Feb 7, 2006
"Affliction: Day of Reckoning" official weigh-in results

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Weigh-ins for "Affliction: Day of Reckoning," which features a main event between WAMMA heavyweight title-holder Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC title-holder Andrei Arlovski, took place today at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The first fighter hit the scale at 6 p.m. EST (3 p.m. PST), and the HDNet-televised event took nearly an hour-and-a-half to complete.

The proceedings went without incident, as all fighters made weight on their first attempt.

In addition to Emelianenko vs. Arlovski, Affliction's star-studded second effort includes notables such as Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Paul Buentello, Vladamir Matyushenko, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and others.

The full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (PPV)

* Fedor Emelianenko (230) vs. Andrei Arlovski (237)
* Josh Barnett (248) vs. Gilbert Yvel (240)
* Vitor Belfort (184) vs. Matt Lindland (186)
* Renato "Babalu" Sobral (204) vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (205.25)
* Paul Buentello (244) vs. Kiril Sidelnikov (229.5)
* Bobby Green (155.5) vs. Dan Lauzon (155.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)

* Vladamir Matyushenko (204.5) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (204.75)
* Jay Hieron (169.25) vs. Jason High (170)
* L.C. Davis (143.75) vs. Bao Quach (140.5)
* Antonio Duarte (145) vs. Albert Rios (145)
* Patrick Speight (169) vs. Brett Cooper (169)