WAS THE HYPHY ERA A GOOD THING OR A BAD THING FOR THE BAY??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
i think it was a good thing - it pushed the bay to the forefront & caused a ton of slaps to be released. but at the same time it produced a lot of weak beats, watered-down music, and just shitty music by bandwagoners/coattail-riders (some of those being bay area vets). i can also see how others regions could have looked at it as a joke.

Oct 11, 2009
THATS WHAT I ALWAYS FIGURED... IT WORKED FOR NIGGAS LIKE DRE AND HIS CAMP BUT OTHER NIGGAS SUCH AS F.A.B. AND YUKMOUTH WHO WERE ACTUALLY PRETTY DOPE LYRICISTS KINDA DERAILED THEIR OWN CAREERS FOLLOWING THE TREND... YUK HAD SOME HYPHY SLAPS BUT HE ALWAYS SHINED WITH HIS RAW GRITTY LYRICS AND STORY TELLING IS WHAT SET HIM APART FROM OTHER VETS... IM IN SO CAL SO I NEVER SEEN ITS EFFECTS FIRST HAND BUT TO THIS DAY WILL SLAP YUKS FIRST 2 JOINTS OVER EVERYTHING THAT CAME AFTER... EVEN THO HE'S GOOD FOR A SLAP FOM TIME TO TIME...

Aug 17, 2002
as much as people don;t like it, it's the only thing over the last 13 years that gave the bay a buzz on a national level

Feb 7, 2006
its sad, I liked some hyphy shit and felt it was authentic in that it was a regional sound in a rap market where everything sounds the same, but other regions couldn't fuck with it.

Jun 10, 2002
Me personally I hated it, but the younger generation loved that shit. I thought it made the bay look like a bunch of pill popping idiots but at the same time it brought attention back to. so it was both good and bad

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
It got played out when everybody was using the same type of beats and same lines like "gas brake dip", "goin dumb", "get stupid".shit got lame after a while.

rappers need to be original and not use the same lines. I don't respect people that hop on new trends.

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
It got played out when everybody was using the same type of beats and same lines like "gas brake dip", "goin dumb", "get stupid".shit got lame after a while.

rappers need to be original and not use the same lines. I don't respect people that hop on new trends.

Apr 7, 2006
The hyphy years were some of the best years of my life... a good thing to me.

Songs like these made me wanna break my neck and go ape shit.

Aug 17, 2011
like most peeps said, the hyphy era had its good and it had its bad...when peeps like mac dre were doin it, classics were created. peeps like mistah fab amongst others just took it too far and made it seem fruity...but overall, it was a good thing, because it got peeps payin attention 2 the bay who never knew about the bay before hyphy.