The Wall Street crisis and the failure of American capitalism

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 24, 2003
This is true, but Communism is destroying the planet too. Both communism and capitalism are growth-based, both ignore the simple fact that indefinite growth is impossible. So it is in no way a more stable kind of society.

By the way, I don't think there exists a good social system

Co-sign 100%

Humans are inherently flawed enough that we will inevitably be the cause of our own demise. (assuming an asteriod/virus/aliens/etc doesn't do us in first)

Re-post your original post if you can find it.

Mar 4, 2007
basically what ThaG said.
small communities will and have survived since the dawn of man.
i'm talkin bout, farming small animals, learning how to kill large animals efficiently(guns don't last forever), learning how to plant and know which part of plants and diff. wild things are edible.

i'm talkin basic survival, if we all knew basic survival shows like man vs. wild wouldn't be so popular cause it would be common knowledge.

the people, especially of united states have grown away from this traditional knowledge, and just educating yourself again could save your life.

Oct 6, 2005
I don't need to offer any "specific" alternative model, and it was never my intention to give one. However, I thought I made it perfectly clear that I believed Capitalism must be destroyed, and replaced with a system that places control in the hands of the people. So that's what I suggest take the place of Capitalism. Myself and others have given you reasons why it must be destroyed, but you have yet to give a legitimate reason why it must exist other than the possibility of a Great Depression, which is not likely to happen if a true revolutionary program where community control is implemented.
I'm not arguing in favor of Capitalism... I'm arguing AGAINST "economic collapse"... You're in a hurry to see our current economic system fail... I'm not... I don't think Capitalism is flawless... Far from it... Can it use some improvements...? Of course... I'm all for supporting a newer, better, bigger model (or way of thinking) but when I ask what that newer, better, bigger system might be I get a very vague "something that places control in the hands of the people"... Well I'm asking, what's that "something"...? Control in the hands of which "people"...?

Oct 6, 2005
I have news for you - there is no need to ask anybody about what standing in line for bread and other most basic necessities is like because I have been standing in these lines for the first 10 years of my life. And I am ready to bet you have no idea what it is to have no electricity or water for most of the day.

Where are you from...? And you're right... I've never been without electricity or water for an extended length of time...

Feb 25, 2006
had to go to wamu for the second time this week to make sure that everything would be covered by fdic..just so happens that it wasn't..rearranged some cd's and added beneficiaries...that bank better not go under..been following it pretty closely on the news

Dec 2, 2004
This is true, but Communism is destroying the planet too. Both communism and capitalism are growth-based, both ignore the simple fact that indefinite growth is impossible. So it is in no way a more stable kind of society.

By the way, I don't think there exists a good social system; the problem with all of them is their inability to cope with the tragedy of the commons. I had a long post some time ago where I explained why any system you can imagine is bound to collapse because of that, I don't think that many people read it so I will try to find it and post it again
Any type of specialized complex society, where every individual has a specialty job and everyone is relying on each other for survival, is bound to be vulnerable to collapse (domino effect). Versus if we all had the ability to survive on our own which is virtually impossible today with this large of a population. We all rely on each other and the system to survive.