Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 9, 2006
i wonder how much he was smoking in tennessee? he was always overweright but lendale has always been the best when he was a workhorse touching the ball 20 plus times a game sometimes over 25...his stat( fell off last year but i thought he looked pretty decent (quicker in and out of his cuts then any of his previous years)...i figured his lack of touches were because CJ was doing so damn good...

sad story tho not even his homie pete carrol wanted his ass...i wanted the dude to work out for the seahawks

Feb 14, 2004
Fifth-round pick Chancellor signs with Seahawks

Safety Kam Chancellor, the Seahawks' fifth-round pick out of Virginia Tech, became the team's second rookie draft choice to sign a contract, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Wednesday.

Schefter says Chancellor agreed to a four-year, $2.83 million deal. The Seahawks have not yet confirmed the signing.

Seattle signed sixth-round pick Anthony McCoy, a tight end out of USC, earlier in the week.

Chancellor, 6-foot-2, 232 pounds, is expected to back up veteran Jordan Babineaux at the strong safety position. Rookie Earl Thomas, a first-round draft pick out of Texas, will likely start at the free safety position.

Chancellor is more of a physical run stopper who will be called on to play in the box, which should make him an interesting candidate to work in tandem with Thomas -- an athletic center-field type defensive back who specializes in pass coverage -- once they both gain experience.

But initially, Chancellor is likely more of a backup candidate and special teams contributor.

The other safeties on the roster are veteran Lawyer Milloy, second-year man Jamar Adams, former Carolina Panthers free-agent signee Quinton Teal and undrafted rookie free agent James Brindley from Utah State.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/208920.asp

Aug 24, 2003
Jamar Adams is a really cool dude. I saw him on the practice squad for awhile looks like hes on active roster now? would be cool to see him get playtime, altho i want to see us win more than anything hehe

Dec 12, 2006
If you guys believe in karma, you have to be ignorant to think its not gonna catch up to Pete Carroll, What a scumbag. One of the best things about the NW is a lack of so cal presence in the community, bringing Pete Carroll up there could be opening pandora's box.
I predict you guys go 6-10, with at least 3 key players having season ending injuries.

Dont hate me

Hate Pete Carroll and Southern California

Feb 14, 2004
Jamar Adams is a really cool dude. I saw him on the practice squad for awhile looks like hes on active roster now? would be cool to see him get playtime, altho i want to see us win more than anything hehe
I think our Strong Safeties are going to consist of Jordan Babineaux and either Kam Chancellor or Lawyer Milloy. Big Play Babs for sure, though.

Got this from another message board:

Interesting stats, although they do not tell the whole story. From watching any tape I can find on him he seems to play the ball better then Mays.

Mays
06 62 tackles 3 ints
07 65 tacs 1 int
08 53 tacs no turnovers
09 88 tacs 1 int
5 total turnovers

Chancellor
06 1 int 9 tackles He sat most the season but played corner when in the game (besides special teams)
07 79 tac 1 int 1 ff
08 51 tac 2 int 1 ff
09 65 tac 2 int
8 total turnovers

Dec 12, 2006
Huh? About 1/3 of the population in the greater metropolitan Seattle area is from So Cal. 3 of my friends are from Anaheim ALONE.
ARE U KIDDING ME????? Damm it, I refuse to travel east to escape those douchebags, i guess there movin up the coast faster than I thought, maybe accelerated white flight cuz of Mexican immigration. That is so whack, did they skip past portland or are they the new breed of Hawthorne district kids?

I guess I shouldnt be surprised, everytime I go to Washington the older generation is always bitching about all the California people moving up there, like hey we found this remote piece of land first, being from california, i always find that so god damm funny.

3 of your friends are from anaheim and your a defensive seahawks fan? perfect
You sir, I hate more and more with each and every passing day

May 9, 2002
Sorry, why am i supposed to care what you think about me?

Anyhow, Seattle has a lot of Cali people in general because of the technology industry up here (Microsfot), Boeing, and Weyerhauser to name a few. After the dot com boom, everyone moved from So cal/Silicon valley up here, because it continued here.

Feb 14, 2004
Giving Back

Linebacker David Hawthorne grew up in Texas wishing he could attend a camp hosted by a NFL player. Now that he is one, he’s hosting a Youth Sports Festival at Rainier Beach High School this weekend.

Growing up in Corsicana, David Hawthorne could only dream about meeting NFL players.

Now that he is one, the Seahawks’ Texas-born linebacker is doing something to expose other kids to the motivational experience.

“When I was young, I would have loved to actually see and have contact with NFL players,” Hawthorne said Monday, after participating in the team’s offseason conditioning program. “I feel it would have served as motivation, to see someone that has come from a small area or beat the odds and still became successful.

“Sometimes you just need to see people who have been through it in order to motivate you to get through it.”

That’s why Hawthorne is hosting a Youth Sports Festival this week at Rainier Beach High School. The two-day event kicks off Friday at 6 p.m. with an “Amazing Race” competition, with teams of students going head-to-head against Hawthorne and some of his Seahawks teammates – including linebacker Will Herring, cornerback Roy Lewis and running back Louis Rankin.

Saturday’s lineup features football and cheer camps at 11 a.m., a basketball clinic at 3 p.m., a 3-point shooting contest at 6 p.m. and a basketball game between the NFL players and area teachers at 7 p.m.

“We’ll group kids based on what position they play and age,” Hawthorne said of the procedure for the football camp. “We’ll put them through drills and basically teach them things that will help them if they want to become football players.”

The Saturday events are free to middle, junior high and high school students, who can register and get additional information at www.DavidHawthorne.org.

Hawthorne and fellow Corsicana High School alum Danieal Manning, a safety for the Chicago Bears, hosted a similar event in their hometown last year.

“I never had the opportunity to go to a camp hosted by any NFL players,” Hawthorne said. “So when Danieal and I did it back home, it was a big thing. It was one of the first time kids from my hometown had the opportunity to see somebody who made it out and went on to better things.”

This will be Hawthorne’s first step in expanding the festival to Seattle, which became his adopted home after he made the Seahawks’ roster in 2008 as a rookie free agent.

“It’s a way to give back to the community,” Hawthorne said. “I’m just trying to do something positive.”

Hawthorne was the Seahawks’ leading tackler last season, after stepping in at middle linebacker for an injured Lofa Tatupu. In addition to his 116 tackles, Hawthorne also had three interceptions to share the team lead and four sacks to rank third on the club. This spring, with Tatupu back, Hawthorne is working at weak-side linebacker with the No. 1 defense.

All because he earned a chance to make the team with his performance as an undrafted rookie out of Texas Christian University, and then made the most of every opportunity that came his way.

“When you’re in neighborhoods that are bad or in places where people aren’t as successful, you just kind of go with the groove,” Hawthorne said. “You haven’t seen it done before, so you don’t know what to set your standard to because you haven’t seen that many success stories.

Take it from someone who was there, but now is here.

“This is just an opportunity to pass on what I have learned,” Hawthorne said, “and hopefully motivate someone else to do it.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Giving-back/eb62f558-477b-4c1f-b1cb-9499ef442bc1

Feb 14, 2004
Stanback unveiled: Former Husky quarterback Isaiah Stanback was out running pass routes and catching balls for the first time as a Seattle Seahawk and, in fact, hauled in the last toss of the day's workout on about a 20-yard shot over the middle.

Stanback, wearing No. 14, was his usual buoyant self and sounded eager to see what he can do back in his hometown.

"Yeah, I used to watch (the Seahawks) a little back in the day," the Garfield High grad said with a broad grin. "To be home, it's still kind of surreal. I'm just getting back in the groove and into the playbook, studying hard. These are long nights right now."

While Stanback is working strictly as wide receiver, as he has over the previous three years with the Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots, coach Pete Carroll sounded as if he could be looked at as an emergency-type QB as well.

Stanback says USC came after him harder than any team when he was coming out of high school and he's known Carroll since those prep days.

"Isaiah is a kid that we recruited hard and had him in our camps and coached against him for years," Carroll said. "I've had great respect for his ability, his all-around athleticism. He has terrific speed and explosion.

"He can offer some help to do some things if we needed it at the quarterback spot to salvage a few situations possibly. I haven't seen him play much in the last couple years, but I'm anxious to see what he offers us. He's a unique player."

Is Leroy Hill losing his place?: David Hawthorne, who filled in well for the injured Lofa Tatupu at middle linebacker last season, continues working in Leroy Hill's outside spot this offseason and the Seahawks seem prepared to move on if necessary.

Hill has a pre-trial hearing Friday in Issaquah Municipal Court regarding the domestic assault charges involving an incident with his girlfriend. Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com has reported that Hill's $6 million guaranteed contract could be voided if he is suspended by the league.

Hill was absent again Tuesday as he continues to be asked to stay away from offseason workouts.

Asked if there was anything new there, Carroll said: "No, not yet, but we are getting closer to understanding what the situation is. We will know more about that pretty soon."

And, yes, Carroll said it does matter that the five-year veteran is missing the OTAs and minicamps this spring.

"If that didn't matter then why would you practice, you know?" Carroll said. "Practice is hugely important. There's a new system. There's a whole new approach to how we're doing things. It's certainly hindered his opportunity without question.

"The other guys have just rocketed ahead with their chances and taken advantage of that. That's just part of the competition. You do what you can with your opportunities. So he is going to have to battle back if we can get him back out here. We'll see when the time comes."

Big man in middle: Kevin Vickerson, the "other guy" obtained in the LenDale White trade from Tennessee, did some running on the side as he attempts to recover from a groin injury that has slowed him since his arrival.

Vickerson, a four-year veteran listed at 6-5, 321 pounds, clearly isn't in prime physical shape yet. But he is being looked at as a potential backup to Colin Cole and Brandon Mebane at defensive tackle, a position that could be more needed if Red Bryant works out on the outside.

Bryant, by the way, continues looking very mobile and engaged at defensive end, an interesting prospect for the 6-4, 323-pounder out of Texas A&M.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/210392.asp

Feb 7, 2006
Seattle Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate had an encounter with police this weekend, but this story has a serious twist ... because it all went down inside a donut shop.

TMZ has learned the former Notre Dame football star was caught trespassing inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington at 3 AM Saturday morning.

Cops would only confirm that Tate was given a "trespass warning" -- and was not arrested -- but they wouldn't expand on why the 21-year-old was inside the store while it was closed.

We spoke to the manager of the Top Pot shop ... who said he would not be commenting on the matter. On a related note, Top Pot recently inked a deal to become the official coffee and donut partner of Qwest Field -- home of the Seattle Seahawks.

Calls to Tate's rep have not been returned.

Aug 24, 2003
Look I know I've bullshitted a lot on this board, but you can take my word for it that he's very lucky he didn't get arrested for burglary. He caught a break because of who he is.

I got to admit the publicity spin put on this is pretty ironic and funny.