Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
As a Niner fan i hate to say this.... Seattle has improved their team A LOT! As Seahawks fans you should be proud of the effort. Make no mistake, EFFORT does not = wins for sure. But at least you guys are moving in a solid direction. That is merely my opinion. But good luck this year.
I'm very proud of the work that's been done so far. I can't wait to see the results on the field this season. The Seahawks had a very good offseason, and I hope to see more wins.

Feb 14, 2004
Red Bryant: New beef for Seahawks' defensive end spot

In an effort to beef up their defensive end position, the Seahawks made a move this weekend. A very big move, in terms of body type.

After adding numerous smaller speed rushers to help quench coach Pete Carroll's desire for putting more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, the Seahawks are looking to balance the beef by moving third-year pro Red Bryant to defensive end in some situations.

The experiment is the idea of defensive line coach Dan Quinn, based on the team's need to defend the run better at the point of attack while also employing speed off the edge with linebacker Aaron Curry or one of the smaller rush ends.

Bryant, at 6-foot-4, 318 pounds, certainly brings a different dimension to the outside of the line. He looked good at the end position in Seattle's final two minicamp practices Saturday and Sunday, though obviously there's a big difference between padless workouts and full-tilt NFL game action.

But for Bryant, a fourth-round draft pick out of Texas A&M in 2008, it's a fresh spark in a career that has never quite got off the ground yet with limited action in just 10 games his first two seasons.

"It's a great opportunity for me," Bryant said after minicamp closed Sunday. "I'm going on my third year and it's time for Seattle to get something. Any way I can help the team, any way I can get on the field, I'm going to take advantage of it."

Bryant said he hasn't played defensive end since his high school days in Jasper, Texas, but the position feels natural to him the way the Seahawks are drawing things up with their new scheme.

Bryant would fill what the Seahawks are calling the "five technique" spot on their defensive line, with Lawrence Jackson or one of the numerous speed rushers like Chris Clemons, Nick Reed, Ricky Foley or Dexter Davis at the other end, flanking defensive tackles Colin Cole and Brandon Mebane.

"The only difference is it's just more space," Bryant said. "As far as me being able to take the line of scrimmage and hold the point, I'm pretty good at that. So it almost feels natural. The transition isn't as hard as I first thought it would be. When he first told me, I didn't know. But I've been doing it a few practices now and am steadily getting better.

"I still have a lot to work on, but the coaches believe I can play it, I believe I can play it, my teammates believe I can play it. So we'll see what happens."

Carroll said Bryant has looked good in his new role so far.

"Obviously he gives us a big guy playing over there and with what we're trying to do with the run game, he made a good showing," Carroll said. "It's going to take all the way to camp and pads and all that kind of stuff to get a good assessment, but this is by far the best condition he's been in in years.

"He worked diligently in the offseason program. His feet are quick and he's still a big man. He's always going to be a big guy. He's moving well enough and he plays technique and a style that gives us a chance to play him there. He looks very good for the first couple days so I'm really pleased about that. It's a place where we need help in the run game. We'll see how that works out."

Bryant won't have to go far to get advice on playing defensive end. His father-in-law is Jacob Green, the premier pass rusher in Seahawks history with a franchise-record 116 sacks from 1980-91.

"I talk to him all the time," Bryant said. "He's extremely tough on me. He tells me all the time, year three they kind of get an idea of whether you're going to be a player or not. He's brutally honest with me and that's what you need at this level. You need somebody to be honest with you and he's always going to be that."

So what does his famous father-in-law think of him filling not only his No. 79 jersey, but possibly even his same defensive end position?

"He doesn't even know I'm out there yet, but I'll share it with him," Bryant said with a smile. "He always wanted me to be like a 300-pounder or 290. So when I tell him I'm playing outside, he's really going to be harping on my weight now."

Bryant acknowledges his first two years have been disappointing. He was inactive for 10 of Seattle's 16 games last season and totaled eight tackles as a backup behind Cole and Mebane.

"It's been extremely tough because I have high expectations," he said. "I want to be out here playing. We were 4-12 my first year and 5-11 my second year and I still hadn't got on the field. So I had to evaluate myself and ask if I'm doing everything I need to do to be successful.

"I'm excited for this year. It's a new coach, a new attitude and a new opportunity and I'm going to take advantage of it."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/204319.asp

Feb 14, 2004
A Tribute to the 1984 Seahawks: The Greatest Ball-Hawk Defense in NFL History

As Pete Carroll and John Schneider commence the reconstruction process of a porous secondary with the drafting of Earl Thomas, Walter Thurmond, and Kam Chancellor, it takes me back to my teenage years, when the Seattle Seahawks had the greatest ball-hawk defense in NFL history.

When the Seahawks lost Curt Warner to an ACL injury in that 1984 season-opening Monday Night Football game against the Cleveland Browns, Hawk fans were prepared for a .500 season.

Curt was a Pro Bowler who had 1,400-plus yards and was second on the team in receptions with 42 in 1983. It appeared doom and gloom had struck the Hawks.

Someone forgot to tell Kenny Easley and the 1984 Hawk defense, the greatest ball-hawk defense in NFL history.

Easley, despite his short career, is my all-time favorite defensive player. As Eugene Robinson described him, he played the game with “ferocity.”

Easley was a flat-out B-E-A-S-T. This four-minute YouTube video doesn’t do No. 45 justice.

The 1984 Hawks ran a 3-4 defense that was dominated by their front three and back four. The front was led by LDE Jacob Green, who was second on the team in sacks with 13; RDE Jeff Bryant, who had 14 sacks and was named first team All-Pro; and NT Joe Nash, who had seven sacks. Combined, the front line also recovered nine fumbles and returned one for a TD.

The 1984 ball-hawk secondary was led by safeties Kenny Easley and John Harris and cornerbacks Keith Simpson and Dave Brown. You can’t forget about rookie Terry Taylor and newcomer Terry Jackson, who together pitched in seven interceptions in 1984.

Let’s look into the numbers at their ball-hawk and playmaking abilities in that 1984 season.

63 defensive turnovers in a season: No. 1 all-time in an NFL season post-‘70 merger.

47 forced fumbles in a season: No. 5 all-time in an NFL season.

25 fumble recoveries: No. 1 in the NFL in 1984.

38 interceptions: No. 1 in the NFL in 1984.

Seven interception returns for TDs in one season: No. 2 all-time in an NFL season post-‘70 merger.

Easley, Brown, and Simpson all had two pick sixes—the only team in NFL history to have three players with multiple pick sixes in the same season.

325 return yards in a game: No. 1 in NFL history for interception return yards in a game.

Kenny Easley earned a first team All-Pro safety nod and earned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year honors after destroying running backs, tight ends, and wide receivers. Kenny led the NFL with 10 interceptions, taking two back to the house, and was in on numerous vicious secondary hits.

While it may have been an overachieving group to compensate for a groundless chuck running attack, this Hawk defense for that one season was the greatest ball-hawk defense in NFL history.

Here’s hoping that Carroll and Schneider are on the path to resurrect this defense with players of ferocity and playmaking ability like we had back in 1984.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/388053-a-tribute-to-the-greatest-ball-hawk-defense-in-nfl-history

Feb 14, 2004
There's a new bird that sits in the top spot of the NFC West perch now, and it isn't red.

The Seahawks have not only been stealing headlines this entire offseason, but by all accounts, they stole the draft as well.

More importantly to the fans, it appears as if they stole the top spot in the NFC West and a probable playoff berth.

The perfect blend

Every team has faced a rebuilding process at some point, but the makeover that Seattle has undergone has transformed it from bottom feeder to top dog virtually overnight!

With the Seahawks' remarkable offseason, I am hard pressed to think of a team that has done a better job improving. It was a mixture of rookie talent, free-agent signings, proven veteran additions, and coaching upgrades that hasn't been seen in over a decade.

With Pete Carroll, the Seahawks bring in the winningest college football coach ever, and if his offseason play transcends into the regular season, the Seahawks are going to put up some big victories.

With other teams in the NFC West not even knowing even who their quarterback is going to be, the Seahawks build theirs a security blanket. Enter Russell Okung.

They also bring in Leon Washington and LenDale White. Neither man saw much playing time last season, and both have fresh wheels. With White, Julius Jones, and Washington, a quarterback could have a off day and get away with it.

Does anybody think that Matt Hasselbeck to Deion Branch, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Golden Tate won't be one of the most feared passing combos in the NFL? I think it will!

On the other side of the ball, Earl Thomas will greatly fortify an already strong defensive secondary.

Lofa Tatupu, Earl Thomas, Aaron Curry, and Marcus Trufant might not just be names that could be found only on the Seahawks roster, but the NFC Pro Bowl roster as well.

This article is written without preference!

I'm not even a Seahawk fan—I'm a diehard Charger fan—but I gotta take my hat off and say congrats to what you guys have done this offseason.

Last season Seattle finished 5-11. My prediction is that they will finish 11-5 this year. Considering the age of most of their roster, I see them as the new face of the NFC teams in contention.

We have now reached a new era, and the Seahawk has flown back into NFL legitimacy and rests patiently atop the NFC West perch. Welcome back guys!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387795-seahwaks-take-flight-land-atop-the-nfc-west

Feb 14, 2004
Q: How is Lofa Tatupu’s return to football going? Will he be ready to play? – Clint, Carson City, Nev.

A: Tatupu’s recovery from the torn pectoral that forced him to miss the final 10 games last season has been very visible, Clint. At the first minicamp in April, the three-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker took part only in seven-on-seven and individual drills. At last week’s minicamp, Tatupu was full-go – meaning he took part in full-team drills, as well as the seven-and-seven and individual segments.

Tatupu, of course, played for Carroll at USC. And Carroll recently explained the importance of having Tatupu on the field when asked about Aaron Curry’s performance during his rookie season.

“Last year, Aaron played his best football when Lofa was out there,” Carroll said. “And Lofa helped him a lot, frankly. It got harder for Aaron without that experience right next to him. … Lofa affects guys. He helps people understand the game.”

Which leads us to …

Q: My question is surrounding our linebackers. First, how is Lofa recovering? Second, with the monster year that David Hawthorne had last year do you think he’ll be starting beside Aaron Curry and Tatupu? I know I’m missing Leroy Hill’s name here, but with his off-field issues and being ordered to stay away to get that sorted out, he might be the odd man out. What are your thoughts? – Tarry, Barrie, Ontario, Canada

A: We just answered the first part of your question, Tarry. As for Hawthorne’s role this season, after he led the team in tackles as Tatupu’s replacement last season, he was working at Hill’s spot with the No. 1 defense in last week’s minicamp.

Whether that continues depends on what happens to Hill. The club is waiting for the league to decide that, and has told Hill not to attend any of the team activities until then. Because of his off-field problems last offseason and again this offseason, Hill could be disciplined by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

If that happens, the Seahawks are prepared, because Hawthorne has played a lot in the two minicamps – at middle linebacker for Tatupu in team drills, and with Tatupu and Curry in the seven-on-seven drills at the first camp; and at weakside linebacker with Tatupu and Curry in all drills at last week’s minicamp.

Read more here...

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks agree to 1-year deal with QB Losman

SEATTLE -- Former Buffalo Bills starting quarterback J.P. Losman and the Seahawks have agreed to a $630,000, one-year contract, as new Seattle coach Pete Carroll continues to spin his competition carousel.

Agent Gary Wichard confirmed the deal in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Foxsports.com first reported the agreement between Buffalo's first-round pick in 2004 and the Seahawks, who are loading up with competition at every position - including the most important one.

Three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is 34 and entering the final season of his contract. He threw a career-high 17 interceptions last season while getting battered for the second consecutive year.

Seattle recently traded two draft choices and then gave an $8 million contract to former San Diego Chargers third-stringer Charlie Whitehurst to have him challenge Hasselbeck now - and eventually replace him.

"I am real pleased with Matt being our quarterback right now and being in the lead position," Carroll said Monday. "However, we are trying to make it as competitive as possible. We are trying to push Matt to make him better and try to elevate Charlie's game as well. That is just the way we are doing it. It will always be a competition in my mind."

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_losman.html

Feb 14, 2004
I won't be pissed. The Seahawks may have had a good offseason, but there are still some glaring needs, DE for instance. But I'll definitely be hella surprised if they go at least 8-8, though.

Feb 14, 2004
A golden (Tate) moment at Seahawks' practice

It was just one play in an offseason practice session, a moment that will long forgotten by the time the Seahawks get around to playing games next fall.

But for those wondering what rookie wide receiver Golden Tate adds to the Seahawks, it was all capsulized in the instant he and three converging defensive backs all went up for a deep pass down the middle from quarterback Charlie Whitehurst on Monday afternoon on the team's Renton practice field.

It didn't matter that this was a relatively meaningless workout with no one but his teammates, coaches and a few media members looking on. Or that Tate is just 5-foot-10. Or that the three rookie defenders -- 6-3 strong safety Kam Chancellor, 6-1 cornerback Marcus Brown and 5-11 free safety James Brindley -- were all were leaping for the same 50-yard spiral at the same time and place.

Somehow it was Tate who made the beautiful diving catch, just as he did time and again for Notre Dame during a career which he concluded with the Biletnikoff Award as college football's best receiver last year.

The team's second-round draft pick has an uncanny knack for going up and snatching the ball in traffic. He is a playmaker, whether in a game for Notre Dame or a practice for the Seahawks.

"I'm just trying to learn," Tate said Monday after practice ended. "I know I can play ball. I just have to learn (the offense) and once I do, then I can play fast and understand what's going on a little better."

The ability to go get the ball against bigger opponents is a skill that translates back to his baseball days. He was a standout outfielder for Notre Dame his first two years -- hitting .329 as a sophomore -- before deciding to stick to football.

"I think it's something I learned in baseball," said Tate, who was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 42nd round coming out of high school. "We're always taught to catch the ball at its highest point. I'm catching a small ball, a little white ball in the air, so it's a little different. But I'm just tyring to high-point the ball.

"I'm not the typical 6-3, 6-4 guy, so I can't stay on the ground and expect to make a good play. So if a ball is thrown to a point where I can go up and make a play, I feel like I can."

The hard part for Tate, like any rookie, will be mastering the playbook quickly enough to be ready to contribute immediately this season. He's so eager to do so, however, that he went home two weeks ago and put together flashcards so his mom could drill him on the plays while he was away from the team.

"He's just a natural learner," head coach Pete Carroll said. "What we have to be careful of is throwing too much at him too soon. He made a couple bone-head blunders today where he just went the wrong way on routes. At this time, I think that's totally understandable.

"We're counting on him to absorb the whole system in time and we have to do a really nice job in the teaching process. But there's nothing to hold him back. He really gets it and is a gifted athlete. He's continued to show he can make plays on the football."

So take the good with the bad. One play, Tate goes the wrong way. The next, he goes up and makes the kind of athletic catch the Seahawks have been crying out for in recent years.

Carroll, who saw Tate catch eight passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns against his USC team last fall, knows what he's got with the speedy youngster.

"The baseball background and all that makes him a unique player," said Carroll. "He's done a lot of cool stuff so far. He's a long way from being able to play because he just doesn't know what he's doing yet, but we're going to keep going with it and teach him like a guy who is going to contribute."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/207617.asp

May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
Seahawks officially release LenDale White

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 28, 2010 4:59 PM ET
The Seattle Seahawks have formally announced the release of running back LenDale White.

And this time they won't be taking it back.

"It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks," Seahawks G.M. John Schneider said in the team's statement. "It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program. We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

The Seahawks acquired White in a trade with the Tennessee Titans during the NFL draft, and it's not clear why the team decided to get rid of him a month later. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who also coached White at USC, had indicated that he was excited about being reunited with his old running back, and reports out of Seattle indicated that White was no longer struggling with his weight.

But whatever the reasons, White is now an unrestricted free agent, available to any team that wants him. We know the Titans and Seahawks don't.

Permalink 0 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
has to do with him violating the league's substance abuse policy. i think he failed a drug test for weed.

here u go:

LenDale White is reportedly face a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
We're assuming the Seahawks knew about the impending ban when they released White, but NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora insists it's not the only reason he was ditched. Despite his weight loss, there are still serious questions about his work ethic. White reportedly failed a drug test at the Combine four years ago, so this would be his second infraction.

also, i guess the Seahawks removed the press release from their website that stated they released him. so they're obviously discussing what's going on right now, but the idea is that he will still be released.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
so i was a bit off, but heres the story:

According to FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez, the Seahawks pulled the cord on LenDale White because his lack of effort "stood out like a sore thumb" compared to the other players.
This is consistent with other reports we've seen. The Seahawks did, in fact, know about White's impending suspension when they acquired him. They just grew tired of his immaturity and poor work ethic. Despite losing 45 pounds, White's physical conditioning was described as "poor." Even a team desperate for a backup, such as the Rams, will be hesitant to bring in White.

Aug 9, 2006
lendale got back to the west coast and started blazing that OG and purp! he had a lot of talent but wasted it....RBs are hella interchangeable in todays nfl....i doubt anyone takes a chance on his dumb ass...unless a crazy amount of RBs go down after week 4

Aug 24, 2003
the weed isnt a big deal like they said they knew about the weed and his suspension and gave him a chance, but if he was just going to keep blazing and let himself go then fuck outta here. im sure they could pass his ua had he been out there like a beast, im sure a lot of players in the nfl probably get passed if bottom line they come to play football. how do the seahawks do their ua's anyway or the rest of the nfl for that matter. i saw one of jamar adam's U.A. cups it came delivered in a box. the hell did he do just mail it back? do they random before games where they watch you like probation?

no marty to all of that i just want to know how easy itd be to get away with smoking bud in the nfl, or roiding it up.

randy moss said smoking weed is his favorite thing to do :siccness: