Researchers identified the part of the brain responsible for deja vu

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
What you have a talent for is 'lawyering'.
Good job I'll google that later. :rolleyes:

You take a statement, miss the original intent and context, find a small discrepancy and harp on it until the person is forced to say "well yes you're right I said Thursday and not Wednesday 75% of the time".
ANY person with a brain HALF the size of mcleanhatch could read into your post and see where it is you were going. Not only that, you basically summed it up and proved where you were coming from when you said, "In addition, I dont see why you have to come on here and defend every attack on any sort of mystic and psychic phenomena as some sort of affront to Theism. Are you the guarder of all things holy? I don't believe you have stated belief in a formal religion, so are you some sort of nondenominational witch doctor, or what?"

No, I did not find a small descrepancy, I found SEVERAL really LARGE ones that you are unwilling to address at this point in your life.

You then take that admission and go "Well it's clear you obviously falsify dates, what else of your opinion is bs?" or you use your superior googling to find a source that people without 45 minutes of free time can counter until people give up and leave.
As I have stated here before, I my studies will take me into LAW or CRIMINOLOGY. If it is criminology I will have to major in a BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE. I have stated this SEVERAL times now BEFORE this thread was EVER made, and I even gave links to schools I was interested in attending. So no, I am not utilizing the same tactics YOU are sport. I'm simply calling you on your shit and demanding you back your claims or shut up.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
2-0-Sixx said:
By Julie Steenhuysen
CHICAGO (Reuters)

Most people have had deja vu -- that eerie sense of having experienced something before -- but U.S. researchers have identified the part of the brain responsible for this sensation, and they think it may lead to new treatments for memory-related problems.

They said neurons in a memory center of the brain called the hippocampus make a mental map of new places and experiences, then store them away for future use.

But when two experiences begin to seem very much alike, these mental maps overlap and start to blur.

"Deja vu occurs when this ability is challenged," said Susumu Tonegawa, a professor of biology and neuroscience at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, whose work appears in the journal Science.

It is really just a malfunction in the brain's ability to sort through new information, something called episodic memory.

"This is very important for an intelligent animal like human beings so you know what's going on around you and you can recall it later," said Tonegawa in a telephone interview.

He and colleagues studied mice that were genetically altered to lack a gene in a specific part of the hippocampus called the dentate gyrus, which they found to be critical in forming the ability to sort through similar experiences.

Mice who lacked this ability were moved from one cage to a second, similar cage and then back to the first cage. In one cage, they got a mild electrical shock to the foot. In the other, they did not.

The mutant mice associated both cages with danger and began to freeze when placed in either cage -- they could not determine in which cage they got shocked.

Healthy mice quickly learned the difference and only froze in the dangerous cage.

When the researchers tested the animals' brain activity, the mutant mice reacted similarly in both cages, but the brain activity of the healthy mice was different in each.

Tonegawa said the type of memory that allows people to quickly distinguish different faces and places fades with age.

"Since we know the molecular and cellular pathway based on our results, there is a possibility to use those molecular targets to develop a drug to improve this connection," he said.

That is especially the case for neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's.

He said the study settles 35 years of debate over how the brain can distinguish between similar places and experiences.

"One big question about the memory is now taken care of," he said.

This just shows how susceptible the brain is to fooling itself. Much like ghosts and other so called psychic apparitions.
IMHO, it sounds like a combo of retrieval failure, motivated forgetting, storage decay, and encoding failure and not just one form of memory related issues.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
ThaG said:
so you claim you know better than Tonegawa and folks at the Picower Institute?

http://web.mit.edu/picower/

I would first read the original paper before making bold statements how invalid it is

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
What the hell are you talking about? Everything I listed can be LINKED to the hippocampus. I am AGREEING with the article, and I am stating deja vu is not the result of one single memory error.

Do you think you know more than the American Psychological Association http://www.apa.org/ or the American Psychiatric Association http://www.psych.org/

Aug 6, 2006
I'd naturally assume that there has to be more than one reason or cause associated with it imo since there's at least 21 different types of Deja vu according to the P.N.I.(Pacific Neuropsychiatric Institute), and indeed, according to them, there is "no single theoretical cause" for it..