Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 15, 2009
I think Kolb will be really good in 2-3 years, but only average this year because he has to learn a new offense.

The only one in the division that won't be new to the offense is Tavares because he's familiar with his OC

Dec 12, 2006
Alex Smith's latest 'fresh start' begins for 49ers

Same uniform. Same practice field. Many of the same teammates.

Regardless, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith agreed that Thursday's training-camp practice, the official start of his seventh season in San Francisco, was a "fresh start."

Of course, Smith hopes so.

After six largely disappointing seasons, Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, stepped on the field for the first time in 2011 after signing a one-year, $5 million contract last week.

Due to the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, Smith couldn't participate in the first five practices of training camp - free-agent signees had to wait until the league year began Thursday.

As a result, Smith was a spectator as rookie quarterback Colin Kaepernick took the first-team snaps in practice. In between practices and meetings during the early stages of training camp, though, Smith, not permitted to participate in physical activity at the team facility, drove to San Jose State to throw.

His receivers? Smith laughed - "anyone he could find."

No wonder Smith was fired up - and a bit jittery - prior to Thursday's practice.

"I was pretty anxious, pretty jacked up," he said. "It didn't help having to watch for basically a week. ... You can sign, but you can't do anything. Just sitting here watching, chomping at the bit. It was great to finally get out there. I had a lot of fun."

After the four-month lockout and the late start to training camp, Smith, who played with the first team in the non-padded practice, said the extended layoff had an effect. Smith organized two players-only offensive minicamps during the lockout at San Jose State, but those workouts didn't include a defense.

"I'd like to say (I wasn't rusty), but of course," Smith said. "It's been, what, seven or eight months since the last time I practiced with 22 guys on the field. But it was great. It's been too long. I missed it."

Niners first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, a noted quarterback guru who made a recruiting pitch to bring Smith back to San Francisco, has said he expects Smith to be the starter.

After Thursday's practice, Harbaugh said Smith's command of the offense suggested he'd already had eight practices under his belt.

"It definitely creates a confidence when that guy in the huddle has been there before," Harbaugh said. "And he knows the schemes inside and out and is a very smart guy."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/04/SPG21KJEKP.DTL#ixzz1UCXtmF74

Jan 12, 2006
49ers camp report: Gore, Smith leading team in transition

Observation Deck

1. The 49ers look like a team in transition under new coach Jim Harbaugh. They are poised to field a lineup with as many as nine new starters on both sides of the ball. The loss of veteran leaders Takeo Spikes and Nate Clements puts the onus on Alex Smith, Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis to take a more vocal role in the locker room.

2. Alex Smith will unquestionably emerge as the 49ers' starting quarterback despite the talk of a competition with rookie Colin Kaepernick. At practice, Smith took all of the snaps with the first unit and was more decisive and accurate than his competitor. He quickly worked through the first few reads of his progression and typically found an open receiver available underneath. Although he tossed a few interceptions during team drills, he showed flashes of being a productive player in a system that will feature more three- and five-step drops than the previous scheme.

3. Expect Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker to have big years for the 49ers. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has an affinity for tight ends as a former position coach, and the 49ers' system features a host of multiple tight-end sets. Given Walker's and Davis' athleticism, these formations will create mismatches in space and give Smith opportunities for big plays over the middle of the field.

4. Frank Gore should see his numbers increase this season in the 49ers' new offense. The seventh-year pro is still San Francisco's most explosive offensive weapon, and he will be used prominently in the passing game to take advantage of his skills in the open field. While he has lost some of the suddenness that he displayed in 2006 when he amassed over 2,000 yards from scrimmage, he could put up big numbers in a game plan that will require 20-25 touches on a weekly basis.

5. The 49ers' defense under Vic Fangio will be far more aggressive and unpredictable. Players talked about various pressure packages that have been installed and how Fangio seemed willing to dial up pressure in any situation. In team drills, the defense showed a variety of five- and six-man pressures from numerous pre-snap disguises, and the aggressiveness certainly caught the offense off guard. If they utilize a similar approach during the season, opponents will have a tough time keeping their quarterbacks upright in the pocket.

6. Several veterans upgrade the talent on the defensive side of the ball. Madieu Williams, Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner give the team a formidable secondary, which should be vastly improved over the unit that surrendered 25 touchdowns and 11 passes of 40-plus yards in 2010.

7. Rookie Aldon Smith has been the most impressive defender in camp. He has been a dominant force off the edge in rush drills, and coaches are blown away by his athleticism. He also possesses the arm length that makes him difficult to block in isolated situations. Although he is still adjusting to playing from an upright position as a 3-4 outside linebacker, he could post eight or more sacks off the edge.
New guy to watch

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

All eyes should be on Braylon Edwards in the fall. He didn't receive the big-money deal he was seeking on the open market, so he arrives with a chip on his shoulder ready to prove he is worthy of being paid like one of the top pass catchers in the game. While his arrival has been accompanied by some skepticism due to his perceived diva-like personality and off-field issues, he certainly has the game to blossom as a No. 1 receiver in San Francisco.
Rookie watch

Colin Kaepernick might develop into a solid NFL quarterback, but he isn't close to being ready to play at this point. He is still very hesitant with his reads, and the uncertainty in the pocket results in errant throws. Granted, he didn't have a full offseason to acclimate to the pro game, but it's hard to imagine him getting up to speed over the course of the preseason to have a viable shot of taking significant snaps.
Overheard

Jim Harbaugh on changing the culture of a team that has suffered in recent years: "People like the word 'culture.' That seems to be the big buzz word from everybody, but to me it's more attitude. Our attitude is to do as many things right as we possibly can. I think when you can do that, then people feel that they are prepared and that gives them the best chance to not be unsuccessful. That's our attitude that we're taking."
Prediction

The 49ers will be competitive in the NFC West, but their schedule is a monster. They have five cross-country road trips on the schedule, which typically has a negative impact on performance. They also face the AFC North, which means tough dates against the Ravens and Steelers. With three of their final four games on the road, it will be tough for the 49ers to make a serious push at a playoff berth this season. A 6-10 record feels about right.

Jan 12, 2006
Donte Whitner is a bad guy

Donte Whitner is a liar and a fraud, and the Bengals have had plenty of those over the years. Good riddance to you, Whitner. Didn't want you in Cincinnati anyway.

But the way he went about his business, choosing the 49ers over the Bengals ...

Disgraceful. Just awful. Donte Whitner had come to terms with the Bengals -- agreed on a contract and everything -- and then pulled a Carlos Boozer and took more money from someone else.

On the intellectual side, I get it. X dollars from one team, or X-plus-Y dollars from another? You choose X-plus-Y ...

... unless you've already given your word to the team offering X. And then you stick by your word, because that's what an honorable person does.

Whitner isn't honorable. He's a clown. And then, after Tweeting that he had would play for the Bengals, he had the gall to Tweet that he would play for the 49ers instead and credited God for the change of plans.

As if God would approve of the way Donte Whitner went about this whole thing.

Stupid. Appalling. Self-centered.

Given all that, Whitner would have been the perfect Bengal. But we're getting rid of clowns like that in Cincinnati, so it's for the best that this one didn't come here after all.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/31124530

^^^
LOL @ THIS CLOWN!! SOUNDS LIKE A WHINY LITTLE BITCH!

Dec 4, 2006
Observation Deck

2. Alex Smith will unquestionably emerge as the 49ers' starting quarterback despite the talk of a competition with rookie Colin Kaepernick. At practice, Smith took all of the snaps with the first unit and was more decisive and accurate than his competitor. He quickly worked through the first few reads of his progression and typically found an open receiver available underneath. Although he tossed a few interceptions during team drills, he showed flashes of being a productive player in a system that will feature more three- and five-step drops than the previous scheme.

ha ha ...just a few? in other words like 10+ INT's ...

while Kaepernick only had a couple .. ha ha

That's the same Ass Smith in team drills and will be the same in the regular season....

Jan 12, 2006
8/5 Practice notes
Posted on August 5, 2011 by Grant Cohn

SANTA CLARA –

Before I get to the good and not-so-good of the day, here’s a funny scene from the 49ers first practice in front of fans.

During 11-on-11’s, Alex Smith threw one pass at Ted Ginn’s feet on a five-yard out. The fans didn’t boo, but they gave a collective “oooooo,” and the stands got uncomfortably quiet.

Suddenly, a lady in the front row lost it. She yelled right at Smith, “You’ve got to look-off your receivers!” Fans giggled nervously.

THE GOOD

Larry Grant. The former Ohio St. Buckeye may have had the best practice of anyone on the team today. He picked off Alex Smith once and laid a heavy hit on Kendall Williams. He started the day as the second-string Ted linebacker, but he ended up with the first team next to Patrick Willis. On one play, Alex Smith rolled out to his right and wanted to throw to Braylon Edwards, who was running a deep crossing route, but Grant had him covered perfectly, running stride for stride with the former Pro-Bowl receiver. Smith had to throw the ball away.

Ian Williams. He stood out at nose tackle. He moved whoever played in front of him, whether it was Adam Snyder or Chase Beeler.

Chris Hogan. He made the catch of the day. After Mays broke up Smith’s pass in the end zone, Harbaugh brought the second-team offense onto the field to do a two-minute drill of their own. On the first play Kaepernick threw a 50-yard Hail Mary to Hogan and he caught it over C.J. Spillman. Hogan appeared to tweak his ankle on the play, but he made the catch anyway.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Adam Snyder. He got pushed around and he had some bad snaps with the first-team offense. As soon as Goodwin feels comfortable he should take over as the starting center.

Konrad Reuland. He dropped four passes by my count, but he rallied at the end of practice and made some difficult catches on passes thrown behind him.

Jan 12, 2006
Embattled Mays delivers key play, speaks of uncertain future

Practice ended and embattled 49ers safety Taylor Mays headed off the field. He hadn’t spoken to the media since Thursday’s ESPN report revealed that the 49ers shopped his services in a chain e-mail to every other team. He initially cringed at my interview request after Friday’s practice, insisting that he wouldn’t talk about “it.”

But he did talk. And talk. As more and more reporters gathered around us, Mays calmly and repeatedly explained he is not upset with the 49ers’ intentions.

“It’s cool. It is what it is. I roll with the adversity,” Mays said. “I play hard regardless. I play for my teammates. I like to play football. Regardless of what happens, I’m a football player.”

And he’s still property of the 49ers, who drafted him in the second round last year but received no interceptions and little impact in his 16 games, six of which he started.

How much longer is he a 49er?

“I don’t know,” said Mays, who was met by general manager Trent Baalke before Thursday’s practice to discuss the awkward situation. “Trent didn’t say anything for sure and he did not say anything for sure. We left it as a somewhat open thing. There definetly was mutual respect both ways. We’ll see what happens. Regardless of what happens in the future, I’m here now so I’ve got to do what I need to do to help this team and be with my coaches.

“If anything changes, it changes. Until then, I can’t worry about that.”

Mays took snaps mostly with the third-string defense Friday. But he made the play of the day: He knocked away Alex Smith’s fourth-down pass to Vernon Davis in the end zone during a two-minute drill. Teammates and a couple coaches rushed over to congratulate Mays.

Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor saw most of the first-team reps, while Curtis Taylor and Madieu Williams received most of the second-team work. Williams, the former Vikings starter and reigning NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year, announced his presence with several hard hits.

Mays downplayed his efforts on that fourth-down pass defense, citing how he was familiar with the play from an earlier drill. He also said he spent the offseason working on “everything,” and that meant finally taking up yoga to help his legs. He said his 6-foot-3 frame (the largest of any 49ers defensive back) gained six pounds and tips the scales at 234 pounds.

In other practice news:

– Running back Frank Gore’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, watched from an area reserved for family members. Gore missed the first four days of camp in search of a contract extension. After practice Rosenhaus walked off the field with another of his clients, right tackle Anthony Davis.

– Smith, entering his seventh season, was cheered loudest by the crowd after completing a 50-yard pass to Joshua Morgan. Smith didn’t draw any resounding boos, although a few cat calls came after he failed to connect with Ted Ginn on a deep pass.

– Wide receiver Michael Crabtree (foot), nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga (hamstring) and Shawntae Spencer (hamstring) did not practice. Offensive linemen Joe Staley, Chilo Rachel and Adam Snyder appeared to suffer minor nicks but continued to practice.

– Running back Anthony Dixon provided one of the loudest collisions of the day when he barreled into linebacker Patrick Willis about 10 yards from the stands.

Regardless of what happens, every day is a chance for me to get better. Practice is practice. Footwork is

I’m happy to be out here with these guys and learn from some of these defensive players. I’m cool with that.

Last play: I wanted to do the full speed drill. It’s kind of a process. I’ve got some work I’m trying to get done.

It’s just a process. They give a lot of guys looks. We get a cumulative amount of reps as we go on. I can’t say that today defines a whole season or that tomorrow does. As we build up through this preseason, I get whatever chance I need to get to show whatever I need to show.

Jan 12, 2006
Camp report (8/5): 49ers' Smith greeted warmly

Practice No. 7
Summary: The public got its first glimpse of the 49ers on Friday, and the crowd did not turn on QB Alex Smith like fans of the Miami Dolphins jeered Chad Henne as their open practice date this week. Smith, received warmly by the fans in attendance, looked better than he did Thursday. It was Smith's first practice this summer with full pads. The 49ers also ran 10 "live" plays with full tackling. LB Patrick Willis made the best hit, clobbering FB Jack Corcoran after a 5-yard completion from Kaepernick.

Offensive Play of the day: A pair of rookies combined on the best play of the day, as QB Colin Kaepernick delivered a 50-yard pass down the field to undrafted rookie Chris Hogan (Monmouth) on the first play of the second-team offense's two-minute drill. Hogan made the catch before safety C.J. Spillman got there. Hogan sustained what appeared to be a right ankle sprain. He was able to walk off under his own power.

Defensive Play of the day: Taylor Mays, who the 49ers are openly shopping for trade value, broke up Alex Smith's fourth-down pass intended for TE Vernon Davis in the end zone to end the two-minute drill at the conclusion of practice.

[RELATED: 49ers' Mays works through 'adversity']

Injury report: CB Shawntae Spencer (left hamstring) sat out his fourth full day of work. . . . LB Ahmad Brooks, LB Keaton Kristick, NT Isaac Sopoaga (hamstring) sat out. LB Navorro Bowman did not take part in 11-on-11 work. WR Michael Crabtree (left foot) and WR Dominique Zeigler (left knee) are on physically-unable-to-perform list. . . . TE Nate Byham (torn left ACL), WR Dontavia Bogan (torn right ACL) and CB Curtis Holcomb (ruptured left Achilles tendon) are out for the season.

Starting to work: FB
Bruce Miller, whom the 49ers selected in the seventh round, made his practice debut. Miller was activated off the physically-unable-to-perform list after reporting to camp last week with a shoulder injury.

Quotable: "San fran I'm home!" -- former Bills S Donte Whitner, who agreed to terms with the 49ers on a three-year, $11.75 million contract on Thursday and announced Friday evening on Twitter that his flight to the Bay Area had landed.

On the sideline: Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents several 49ers players, made the trip from Miami to watch practice. Rosenhaus is in negotiations with the 49ers on a contract extension for RB Frank Gore, who held out the first four days of training camp. Coach Jim Harbaugh this week said he expects Gore's extension to be completed "sooner rather than later." Rosenhaus also represents free-agent safety Dashon Goldson. Rosenhaus declined comment on the status of any contract negotiations.

Depth chart: Here's a look at the depth chart based on how the players lined up at Friday's practice . . .
Offense
QB -- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick.
RB -- Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Kendall Hunter, Xavier Omon.
FB -- Moran Norris, Bruce Miller, Jack Corcoran.
WR -- Braylon Edwards, Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams, Kevin Jurovich, Tyler Beiler.
WR -- Josh Morgan, Ronald Johnson, Lance Long, Joe Hastings, Chris Hogan.
(Truth be told, because of the different receiver combinations shuttled in, it's difficult to differentiate who's lining up with which groups.
TE -- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Colin Cloherty, Konrad Reuland.
LT -- Joe Staley, Alex Boone, Donovan Edwards.
LG -- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Chase Beeler.
C -- Adam Snyder, Jonathan Goodwin, Tony Wragge.
RG -- Chilo Rachal, Tony Wragge, Derek Hall.
RT -- Anthony Davis, Mike Person, Kenny Wiggins.

Defense
LDE -- Ray McDonald, Brian Bulcke.
NT -- Ricky Jean Francois, Ian Williams.
RDE -- Justin Smith, Demarcus Dobbs.
LOLB -- Parys Haralson, Antwan Applewhite, Monte Simmons.
ILB -- Patrick Willis, Alex Joseph
ILB -- (NaVorro Bowman), Larry Grant, Blake Costanzo.
ROLB -- Aldon Smith, Thaddeus Gibson, Kenny Rowe.
LCB -- Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver.
RCB -- Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock, Phillip Adams.
S -- Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor, Chris Maragos.
S -- C.J. Spillman, Madieu Williams, Taylor Mays.

Next practice: The 49ers are scheduled for another three-hour practice open to the general public, beginning at 2:30 p.m. The team has a day off scheduled for Sunday.

Read more: Camp report (8/5): 49ers' Smith greeted warmly
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
LOL @ THIS CLOWN!! SOUNDS LIKE A WHINY LITTLE BITCH!
Lol don't get me wrong, he is soundin all butt hurt like a bitch but shit, I kinda understand where he's comin from though cuz I'd be pissed if a player had agreed on the principals of the contract n had a verbal agreement wit the team only to jump ship n go to another team for more money just cuz he didn't sign the contact.

And I also can understand whitners position as well cuz the more money the better but that was a bitch move though. Shows no loyalty...

Either way fuck the bengals lol. Good sign by the 9ers.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
thehawk38 Dashon Goldson
Anybody make any of #49ers TC practices? If so, who tearin it up? Hold the negative replies plz...thanx

Poor dude, he misjudged is value and now he ain't got a team. If this happened more often, maybe players would stop listening to their greedy agents.