Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
The 49ers tendered exclusive rights to free agent K Shane Andrus.
Andrus shanked his only field goal try of 2009, but the Niners will keep him anyway as an offseason/camp leg. He poses no threat to Joe Nedney's job.

The 49ers have opted not to tender RB Thomas Clayton, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Despite intriguing talent on the practice field, Clayton never earned a role in three years with San Francisco and tore his ACL in 2009 training camp. It wouldn't be surprising if the former sixth-round pick is done in the NFL.

I think dude tore his acl in the 1st preseason game, sucks for him

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Updating a previous item, the 49ers elected to not tender exclusive rights free agent Ks Shane Andrus and Ricky Schmitt.
San Francisco will look elsewhere for a camp leg behind Joe Nedney.

49ers re-signed ILB Matt Wilhelm to a one-year contract.
Wilhelm, who turned 29 last month, is unlikely to push Takeo Spikes for the "Ted" linebacker spot in training camp. However, San Francisco values his starting experience (with San Diego), and he can play special teams.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
we will def draft an o-line guy with 1 of the picks

we wont take spiller, because he is an exception to the current teams philosophy about everydown bulky backs...

so with the other pick i'd love mcclain if he drops to us but probably wont happen

we could also use a beast de-line guy or possibly a safety if 1 of the top guys is available... not sure if haden is that guy tho. but i dont know a lot about him yet.

this draft is tricky, the drop off is huge after the first few elite players at certain positions so if we dont get 1 of those guys i just hope we get someone that wont bust.

Oct 23, 2009
So it looks like David Carr is gonna visit the Niners today and is also planning on visiting the Cardinals. I wonder if they are looking at him to push Alex Smith for the starting job or as a backup. David Carr is not that bad, he just had a horrible O-line in Houston kind of like Alex Smith has had here in SF. Interesting, thoughts......

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_giants_free_agent_quarterba.html

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Free agent WR Arnaz Battle has visits scheduled with the Steelers and Seahawks this weekend.
The Vikings and Browns are also interested. Battle brings a blue-collar attitude, solid hands, and Hines Ward-like blocking ability. He's had trouble staying healthy the past few years, leaving his ideal role as fourth receiver and special teamer.

Free agent OT Tony Pashos is on his way to Washington for a visit with the Redskins, according to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post.
The Redskins could go a long way toward repairing their offensive line by getting deals done with Pashos and Chad Clifton Friday. Pashos would likely step in at right tackle and immediately upgrade the 'Skins run blocking. The Broncos are also expected to meet with Pashos.

Mar 18, 2003
I think David Carr has a lot of potential and I really hope the 49ers sign him. His numbers weren't all that bad in Houston with all things considered.

As a matter of full disclosure, I am a HUGE Fresno State fan.

Oct 23, 2009
fuck carr that foos weak as fuck damn seems like every other team is making good moves except the niners why in the fuck would they be interested in this lame? i just dont get it.
Their mentality is basically build the team from the draft now. I wish they were a little more active in the off-season just to get some real news.

I think the key to them making the next step will be solidifying their O-line. Alex will have more time to make better reads, Gore will have holes created for him and the WR's/Davis will get better because of this also.

Carr is basically Alex Smith on a different team, same situation. How many good/great QB's do you know that have a sorry line? I'm not saying Carr is the answer but explaining why he or anyone else will continue failing in SF until the Niners fix the real problem.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
haha, though this was kinda funny

In addition to the 49ers, David Carr is reportedly drawing interest from the Giants, Browns, and Cardinals.
We have to side with Niners LB Patrick Willis, who tweeted Friday: "We have 3 qb's that are better then him. That's a waste of his time." Despite Willis' disapproval, the 49ers are considered the early favorites for Carr.

BUT

Free agent QB David Carr left 49ers headquarters without a contract Saturday.
Beat writer Matt Maiocco confirms Carr's agent and the Niners are still negotiating. Should he sign, Shaun Hill's No. 2 job -- and roster spot -- would be in jeopardy. Still, we don't see Carr as an upgrade.

vvvvv

The 49ers and free agent QB David Carr are working on a two-year contract on Saturday.
Carr is scheduled to take a physical for the Niners today and it looks as if a deal should get hammered out. Carr made an average of $1.8 million per year in his two seasons as Eli Manning's backup. He will likely battle Shaun Hill for the No. 2 spot in San Fran.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
bum ass carr got a 2 year deal

heres p willie's reaction: @PatrickWillis52 I heard that carr signed . He is my teammate now. Which means I'm all in for the guy. Its all about the team. CongrÀts and welcome aboard

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
yeah they think carr will be a "strong-armed" qb who can play the same style as alex smith.

The Seahawks and Redskins have reportedly shown interest in free agent OL Barry Sims.
Sims is 35 and would be a backup on a good offensive line, but Seattle and Washington's front fives don't qualify. He has the ability to start at both guard and tackle positions, and held up well on Alex Smith's blind side when Joe Staley went down last year. San Francisco is interested in keeping him.

Profootballtalk.com has shot down a rumor that the 49ers were pursuing restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither.
PFT cites "multiple league sources." The rumor apparently stemmed from a Baltimore Sun blog item that was clearly speculation by beat reporter Jamison Hensley. Gaither would be a fine target for any team looking to bolster its offensive tackle play, but the Niners don't look to be interested yet.

and tony pashos got a nice 3 year contract from the browns